As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Struggling with BF again.

(10 Posts)
Shadowboy Tue 22-Nov-16 21:09:45

I BF my first for approx 3 weeks and then expressed for a further fortnight and finally FF.

I'm having the same issue with current baby who is only 4 days old.

I have plenty of milk and baby happy to latch. The issue is the excruciating pain. It's like needles in my nipples. I've seen 4 different midwives and tried every position in the book/paid alactation consultant and I'm still struggling. It's making me feel almost regretful it's so painful. What can I do? Do I just admit defeat and get on the old pump?

somefarawaydream Tue 22-Nov-16 21:15:57

I would expect it to hurt for a couple of weeks, mine did, I used to count to ten and then it would have stopped. I would stay it stopped hurting after about 2 weeks. Have you been using lansinoh?

Get the midwife to check the latch and if there is no problem, just try to ride it out. Promise it will get better!!

somefarawaydream Tue 22-Nov-16 21:16:19

Oh congratulations smile

FeelTheNoise Tue 22-Nov-16 21:20:02

Are your nipples whitish and itchy? It sounds as if nipple thrush could be a possibility.
No fever symptoms? To rule out mastitis.
Could you try and see the health visitor?
Whatever the outcome, a fed baby is more important than a baby that is fed a certain way x

NEMSparkle Tue 22-Nov-16 21:21:02

Congratulations on the new baby! As pp has said but also to add has baby been checked for tongue tie as this can cause a painful latch even it's a slight one.

MedicMama Tue 22-Nov-16 23:16:17

I've had excruciating pain like you describe for the first 4-6 weeks with all 4 DC's.

I get through Lansinoh cream like it's going out of fashion and it eventually resolves. Keep going, you can do this!

bobbinpop Tue 22-Nov-16 23:25:05

I had this for 10-14 days too. I used nipple shields for a few days which really helped. I've heard about compresses which can ease the pain too...but I found out too late!
m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FMulti-Mam-Compresses-1-x-12-Pack_121154%2F

Avent do gel pads which you put in the fridge, they are amazing after a feed to ease pain and engorgement.

I hope it gets better soon, it really is excruciating flowers

Shadowboy Wed 23-Nov-16 07:24:11

Ugh just fed her and my right Brest must be bleeding as she's brought up milky blood. I don't think my boobs are cut out for this!!

peardropz Fri 25-Nov-16 21:31:44

Oh god I really feel for you, it is so painful in the beginning. Have you got Lansinoh? Keep lathering it on. Also don't be afraid to tAke paracetamol & ibuprofen as needed. It honestly does improve and from then on it's pretty much plain sailing, it's just this shit bit you have to get through.

Brittanyspears Sun 27-Nov-16 16:37:42

Mine hurt for a month like this. I used cling film and lanisoh to heal them and nipple shields.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now