As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Help me

(6 Posts)
somanycoldcuppas Fri 18-Nov-16 18:28:26

Is there any kind of way on telling the difference between baby blues, a little bit of stress and PND?

I can't really put in to words how I'm feeling, but if I knew the difference between them, maybe I could work out what's wrong with me,

Thanks in advance 

penguinsdontquack Sat 19-Nov-16 08:32:04

Saw your post and had to reply, I'm not much help in telling the difference but I know talking about how your feeling does help even if with your partner, the doctor, a stranger etc! I was going through a stage of feeling down - having a baby is a big change but taking about it, it didn't lead to anything and I was able to change my attitude and things. Hope this helps (even if a little) smile

Pocketsizedpixie Sat 19-Nov-16 08:38:17

It can be very difficult I think for the person experiencing it to tell. I certainly couldn't when it was me, I thought I was just tired. But DH persuaded me to talk to the GP who identified PND. I was treated, and felt so much better. Once the treatment kicked in and I looked back I could see for myself that it had been more than baby blues and was very glad I'd had the conversation with my GP.

Reach out to your HV or GP, they are usually very hot PND and will be able to support you whether it's technically PND or "just" normal baby blues.

ChocolateForAll Sat 19-Nov-16 08:56:48

I felt completely trapped and like I wanted to run away. Screaming inside whilst trying to hold it together, anxious, scared, fraudulent. Very panicky. A horrible sinking feeling of dread and despair all the time. The baby's cries made me massively on edge. Everything felt very futile. It's very hard to put into words but it does get better and the quicker you speak to your GP, the faster you'll feel better. Let them make the diagnosis. You can get through this, please get help and don't let this go on for longer than necessary flowers

somanycoldcuppas Sat 19-Nov-16 13:27:24

Thank you, it's so hard to explain isn't it? Like yesterday I had such a bad day, I really felt like I was in such a dark place, I couldn't stop crying and I just wanted to curl up in the corner somewhere. And today I've woke up and I just feel stupid because I don't feel that way anymore, I'm almost embarrassed, you know when you've been really drunk the night before, wasn't yourself, and then woke up the next morning hungover and ashamed? That's pretty much how I feel xx

julfin Fri 16-Dec-16 04:27:23

Hey, sorry I've just seen this. How are you doing? Any better? Did you manage to get help at all?

Apologies for copying and pasting something I've just typed on another similar thread, but hopefully you'll find it helpful too.
If you haven't already, I'd suggest asking your GP and HV if they can refer you to your "perinatal mental health" service/team. Through them you may be able to access either cognitive behavioural therapy or group sessions with other mums who are similarly finding it tough. It's really helpful to have a local support network of other mums who are actually willing to acknowledge that it's difficult and to help each other (which isn't always the case with people you meet through regular mum&baby groups). And from what you've said, it sounds as if you might find cognitive behavioural therapy really helpful too.

I had postnatal anxiety rather than depression, but even so, I can really sympathise. I found the support available (once it had been diagnosed) was excellent, so hope you'll find the same.

Hope things are getting better for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now