As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

How to tell the doctor -PND

(10 Posts)
Littleelffriend Thu 01-Sep-16 18:08:06

Hi, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow as I think I'm suffering from PND. I'm just not sure how to actually explain? I don't think it's severe. I say that because I have no thoughts of harming myself or my baby. But I'm so tired despite getting lots of sleep, cry every day and have started getting really anxious especially in crowds. I don't want medication so part of me thinks it's pointless going.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 01-Sep-16 18:13:01

Oh little ..

That was me exactly this time last year. I just said I was finding things hard and not enjoying life and the things you mention. She was lovely. Very understanding - she asked me a few things (a lot of it was related to my job so she gave some practical tips) I went on citropram (not ire of spelling) in a couple of weeks I felt a good bit better.

Littleelffriend Thu 01-Sep-16 18:39:11

Thanks wobbly. I just don't want to turn into a crying wreck which I know is exactly what will happen. I know how lucky I am but I'm just really struggling.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 01-Sep-16 21:15:09

You know what.. So what if you cry. Better to get it all out.

Is it just the new baby and all that goes with it? Can you get out by yourself (that was the big help for me and I just make it happen now. It might not be more than a bowl of soup in a local coffee shop with a magazine for half an hour or nails done)

Its such a massive shock to the system. It only really affected me when I went back to work so I don't really know was it pnd. I asked for a transfer at work and that made a huge difference

Littleelffriend Fri 02-Sep-16 07:19:50

My partner has been working away a lot so it's just me and baby. I just feel like it's ground hog day sometimes.

julfin Sat 03-Sep-16 20:52:10

I've just been going through something similar. Now I've got help I feel so much better - so definitely do it! I had various appointments with MWs, HVs and GPs and I cried in every single one. It wasn't a problem (albeit not fun for me!) - if anything it proved the point.

Book a double appointment if you think it'll take more than ten minutes (which it probably will).

Happy to chat more. Hope you feel better soon.

julfin Sun 04-Sep-16 08:45:06

Oh also, medication isn't the only answer. There is also "talking therapy" where you can talk through your anxieties/depression with a professional and they can teach you techniques for managing them. You should ask the GP to refer you. Don't let yourself be fobbed off and told that it'll go away by itself. If it's worrying you then you need to get help.

julfin Sun 04-Sep-16 08:48:52

And you mustn't think that, just because you're not thinking of doing harm, that it's not severe. If you're suffering, then you're suffering, so you should do what you can to make it better. Having a baby is a little bit Groundhog Day - all the more reason to look after yourself. And it will get better.

Littleelffriend Sun 04-Sep-16 09:04:28

Thanks all. The doctor was very nice and put me straight on sertraline. I'm going back in 2 weeks.

julfin Sun 04-Sep-16 13:25:25

That's great news. Well done for getting help. Hope you feel better very soon. Let us know how you're doing, if you'd like to x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now