As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Feeling overwhelmed....the straw that broke the camel's back

(11 Posts)
frangell Thu 14-Apr-16 21:21:09

Hi everyone, new to the forums so not sure if I'm in the right place but just looking for a bit of advice and support.

I have two beautiful daughters (2 years 4 months and 6 weeks) and a very supportive husband but feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment due to a number of issues in combination.

Firstly I've been diagnosed with a prolapse (definite cystocele +/- rectocele) and I'm awaiting physio appointment. Next my DD2 has just had her 6 week check and GP is worried about possible early fusion of her sagittal suture/craniosynostosis (again awaiting referral). Both my grandparents (who live around 200 miles away) have been in and out of hospital the last few weeks which has me stressed as I'm not able to visit or help. Then to top it all off I've got beginnings of mastitis this evening.

Was coping pretty well with each individual problem but now feeling swamped combined with lack of sleep and trying to entertain a very energetic toddler.

I don't really have anyone to talk to who can understand as none of my closest friends have kids. My mum is not very supportive (in fact often makes the situation worse) and we have no family who live nearby.

I think I'm just looking for someone who has been through something similar or just a kind word to make me feel I can get through this.

Thanks.

FlippertyJibbit Thu 14-Apr-16 21:31:51

I don't really have much to say but didn't want to read and run!! thanks for you, I think the exhaustion a newborn brings along with a 2 year old AND added stress with not much of a support network can make everything seem like it's getting on top of you but you can and you will make it through the tough times, you're strong enough to grow and bring two lovely babies into this world, you're strong enough to deal with anything.. I'm sure somebody will be along soon with some helpful words for you, hand holding smile

Lovelydiscusfish Thu 14-Apr-16 21:35:52

thanksFor you OP - so sorry for all your health and family worries. Remember that this is a tough time regarding your littlest one, that does get easier as they get bigger. Just bumping your post, in the hope that someone with more useful advice will come in (and thinking of you.) thanks

poocatcherchampion Thu 14-Apr-16 21:38:02

Hi

I had a tough time after the birth of my 3rd - non healing wound and 3 tinies at home - and I have mastitis a couple of times and it nearly finished me off. The mastitis is very overwhelming of your time and energy. Fix that and you might feel better; although I am sorry about your other health issues and your dc2's.

I could Google the condition but do you want to explain a bit more?

When I went to the docs hunched over with broken boobs and crying while the lovely nurses looked after my toddlers the doctor was very concerned that I might have PND - is that possible for you?

I also had very little support from my parents. My in-laws were much more present. Have you got friends around?

I hope you feel better soon

frangell Thu 14-Apr-16 21:59:09

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies.

FlippertyJibbit thanks for the words of support and encouragement...made me smile ☺!

Lovelydiscusfish thanks for making me think there is light at the end of the tunnel and for the kind words.

poocatcherchampion thanks for the detailed response. The condition DD2 might have is early fusion of some of the bones in the skull - rare but if confirmed will mean major surgery. I'm sure the GP was just being cautious but you can't help but worry.

I'm certainly at risk of PND as I have a strong family history of depression but I can honestly say up until the mastitis my mood had been fine. My hubby is well aware of the symptoms and if there was concern he'd march me to the doc himself!

My in laws are around when they can be although live in different parts of the country. 2 sets of divorced parents also adds to the burden of visitors as I feel we've been on a merry-go-round with the number of visitors over the last few weeks!

I do have a few friends nearby (including mum friends) but again not sure how comfortable I am discussing all the details - I could give an edited version I suppose!

Thanks again for taking the time - much appreciated.

poocatcherchampion Fri 15-Apr-16 07:56:25

How is the mastitis today? Have you located the source and broken down the lumps?

frangell Fri 15-Apr-16 08:00:21

Morning - still a bit sore and red but less lumpy and I've woken DD2 regularly overnight to feed. Been to the GP already and given a prescription for antibiotics which I thought was wise as it's coming to the weekend! Why di these things happen at the end of a week?! Feeling a bit better about it all thanks x

karencamp2008 Fri 22-Apr-16 14:09:09

Hi frangell, reading your post there are so many similarities to how I was feeling about 9 months ago. Similar difficulties too: mastitis, baby with health problems. My husband is supportive. My mum is well meaning but often makes things feel more stressful rather than less. It does get easier. I also found when I was breastfeeding my hormones were all over the place. Life will continue to be challenging I'm sure but it will get easier. Sending lots of positive energy to you. Take some time to yourself whenever you can to feel your breath in your abdomen, a relaxing exercise. You can do it while your sitting feeding your youngest. Best wishes flowers

karencamp2008 Fri 22-Apr-16 14:13:35

Ps. I meant to say, the prolapse will also be challenging you emotionally as well as physically as everything is dropping down you will feel like your world is too. Try doing some pelvic floor exercises if your doctor permits them. This will help you physically and emotionally. (I teach yoga, would definitely recommend this) flowers

ppandj Fri 22-Apr-16 14:32:05

I didn't see this post until now so I know it has been a week or so since you first posted. How are you doing now? I just wanted to say I think it sounds like you are doing a fabulous job and I really hope things improve for you soon. thanks for you

frangell Fri 22-Apr-16 14:46:27

Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for the replies. Mastitis seems to be all sorted now so fingers crossed it will stay that way. I have my physio appointment through and am doing some pilates aimed at improving pelvic floor strength in the meantime l...feeling better just that I am being proactive. Now just waiting for my daughter's appointment with the paediatrician but hopefully won't be long. Feeling more on top of things now and back to my normal self!

Thanks so much for the support smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now