Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Baby swimming, can I pick your brains please?

(8 Posts)
weesazz Thu 13-Feb-14 15:05:16

Hello smile

After a shaky start to motherhood where I couldn't face leaving the house (and one very disappointing baby sensory class which knocked my confidence) I am now keen to get DD to her local pool. A few questions though...

What should she wear? Some have said that a swim nappy is all they need but surely a swimsuit would be a requirement?

Also, can I just bring my DD to the pool with me, find a relatively quiet spot and splash around with her or can they only be in the water as part of a class?

Sorry to sound dumb I'm just very new to this.

Thanks x

Pootles2010 Thu 13-Feb-14 15:09:53

If you choose to go to a class, they'll tell you what their requirements are in advance.

I really liked just taking DS for a splash around on my own though, especially for the first time - you don't want to pay for 10 classes upfront then find out she hates it!

Can you take someone else with you the first time? I found DS very slippery and struggled getting myself and him dry/dressed after!

mistlethrush Thu 13-Feb-14 15:10:58

We used a swimnappy under a pair of baby swimshorts - the two combined meant that there was no danger of leakage of anything that would shut the pool (although DS never did that in the pool in any case!).

Yes, you can take her on your own and you don't need to be part of a class.

It can be quiet cold changing afterwards - and its sometimes difficult with a wriggly toddler when you're trying to change yourself.. but be sensible and take precautions and you'll be fine.

weesazz Thu 13-Feb-14 15:14:03

Thanks - that's really helpful and cleared that up for me. My sis is keen to come along with us too smile x

Pascha Thu 13-Feb-14 15:16:34

Both my DSs have used a disposable swim nappy with a neoprene wrap on top to keep them warm, like this. We just went on a sunday morning family sessions at the local pool as it was quiet then. Just 15 minutes or so to start with, no pressure, no classes. We started some classes when they each got to a year old and it seemed like they would enjoy it.

N4NNY Thu 13-Feb-14 15:28:37

I always take a toweling bath robe then when I get out quickly strip baby and wrap in towel and lie it down then stop myself and put bath robe on and dress baby. Then by the time the baby is dressed I'm almost dry and can get dressed myself

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 13-Feb-14 15:39:40

I would put a costume over the swim nappy for warmth tbh.

Of course you can take her outside of a lesson.

It would be great to take your sister.

Is there a baby pool where you are going?

If you are unfamiliar with the pool, it may make it feel less stressful if you phone and check prices, locker situation, facilities (like changing tables) etc.

If there isn't a warm baby pool, keep a close eye on your dd and keep the session short so she doesn't get too cold.

It'll be great fun!

2cats2many Thu 13-Feb-14 15:52:52

Both my children were in the swimming pool from about 2 months. It's good to plan it so baby isn't asleep (obvs) or hungry. Plan to breastfeed or bottle feed when you come out of the pool. I agree with the poster who said keep it short.

Classes are a great way of building up your own confidence in the pool with your baby but aren't essential by any means. Enjoy! mine are both little fish now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now