Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do i stop waking baby for feeds?

(7 Posts)
cantheyseeme Sun 15-Dec-13 19:55:17

Dd2 is 4 days old, when did everyone stop waking dc's for feeds? I dont actually remember waking dd1 at all and she was in a sleep through routine at 2 weeks.

marzipananimal Sun 15-Dec-13 20:00:25

If she regains birthweight and is feeding well I'd say. You'll probably get more advice if you post in the breastand bottle ffeeding topic

PrammyMammy Sun 15-Dec-13 20:01:27

Are you supposed to wake them for feeds.. I don't think I done that.

PinkParsnips Sun 15-Dec-13 20:07:10

Watching as I'd like to know this too.

DD is now 3 weeks and we were originally told to wake her every 3 hours (she lost 10% of birth weight) but now she's regained it the midwife said we can stretch to 5 hours so at the minute we're feeding at 1, waking her at 6 (and she always needs waking) and then waking again at 9 - she's a great sleeper!!

A few people have seemed surprised though and said never wake a sleeping baby!

cantheyseeme Sun 15-Dec-13 20:09:32

ahh shes getting weighed on tuesday, so il ask then but with dd1 i loved the full nights sleep and happy baby haha, she never starved so im hoping mw will tell me to srart increasing time smile

lilyaldrin Sun 15-Dec-13 20:12:32

Sometimes they need waking at first but once they have regained birthweight, are demanding feeds and feeding/weight gain is going well you can let them sleep.

Personally I wouldn't wake a healthy 3 week old in the night if they are feeding lots in the day and gaining well.

bonzo77 Sun 15-Dec-13 20:29:24

With my first I woke every 3 hours. Till the HV said he could go 4 hours when he was about 4 weeks. Then I only woke him in the day.

With my second (who was just under 5lb on discharge from hospital, and was a month early) I only woke him in the day. SCBU said he should be fed on demand, not woken. I partially followed that advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now