Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2013 Bus Graduates: the one where we're not pregnant anymore

(1000 Posts)
MrsHoratioNelson Sun 10-Nov-13 18:25:50

Check in here. Do we still need the stats?

roxvox Mon 25-Nov-13 23:28:03

flyer congrats on the weight gain! That's brilliant!

untitled seems as though you have a polite baby like us. She seems to like insisting on having family meals where we all eat together (me with one hand).

hayle I stared at the name 'Saab' for ages trying to work out how you pronounce your child's name and also trying to work out if I like it!

I'm on operation soften stools here. Have bought prunes, apricots, fresh pineapple and Fybogel. I'm also aiming to drink so much water that it makes me feel sick/have to wee every 5 minutes. I can't take the fissure pain any more! Does anyone know - if I went to the doctors about them then would they want to examine me, or would they take my word for it?

flyer I saw some constipation suppositories in Tesco earlier - any idea if they're the same as GP suppositories your HV suggested?

roxvox Tue 26-Nov-13 00:16:15

A is point blank refusing to feed from my left breast tonight, so it is feeling quite sore. Not as sore as my right one though which is taking the brunt of the last few hours cluster feeding.

As I typed this she came off my right boob and is now refusing to go on either, but rooting and crying. Sigh.

legallyblond Tue 26-Nov-13 00:32:19

Woo hoo Flyer!!!! Now stay away from those HV scales for at least two weeks! So glad the consultant was lovely.

Pink - I have done similar (in my case basically tripping DD up) through hurrying DD out of the door...

Ana(?) - V is also rubbish at settling in the pushchair... Hope I'm not creating a monster as I often end up pushing H plus the bags on V's side with V in arms or sling...

In a post up thread I explained shay happened when I attempted nap in cot today.... Second time mums please tell me what to do!!!! I failed at DD's naps!

legallyblond Tue 26-Nov-13 00:33:13

And hugs Rox.... X

Flyer747 Tue 26-Nov-13 00:53:58

Baby A and myself thank you for all your kind comments and support through our difficult feeding period smile

Rox not sure if they are the same suppository. I guess a suppository is a suppository they all have the same result, I have some enemas I bought in Sydney last year when I hadn't gone for 8 days, desperate measures, they are fab may have to hunt them out. When I've been to the Dr before re: piles and a fissure they did examine me, what a lovely job hey.

Rox I was reading a breast feeding article and it says 85% of women produce more milk in their right breast, maybe why A prefers your right boob.

Ana enjoy the Manchester Christmas markets, I love them. I was in town earlier (Liverpool) and walked through the market stalls, really wanted to do a pit stop for food and mulled wine the smells were lush but thought I might look strange drinking mulled wine alone whilst pushing a buggy. Going with dp tomorrow hopefully. I think baby J will be snug as a bug in a rug wrapped up in the sling.

Rachel earlier you said about having your hair done and unable to go out as you are bf, I went 4 weeks ago and am booked to have my foils done tomorrow it takes 3+ hours, the girls were really understanding and let me go in their back store room to feed and nappy change, could you do the same maybe?

Flyer747 Tue 26-Nov-13 01:04:13

Also forgot to add

Pink poor DS but it was an accident I can imagine how upset you were I'd have been stressed out with him and a screaming baby hungry for food. thanks
Have a glass of wineto relax.

Legally hope you manage to get the twins settled in their cots. Just out of interest and this is probably a silly question do they sleep together or separately? I just wondered as you hear all stuff about twins and that special bond they share.

My cleaner retires on 1st December so quite excited (because she's rubbish) about a new professional cleaner starting, she came to meet us tonight. Sad the things that get me excited these days, plus she's doing an extra hour now we have a baby the house seems to get messier and dirtier quicker.

I hope everyone gets some restful zzz tonight.

chickieno1 Tue 26-Nov-13 01:38:57

flowers rox

Baby has slept A LOT today! I basically woke her up, threw her in the bath, dressed her up and now feeding her. I hope she stays asleep for a while. And I didn't nap today cos was scared I d fall asleep and she would wake up hmm

kiwee Tue 26-Nov-13 01:40:10

pink as everyone's said already don't beat yourself up - it's incredibly common (said as someone who works in A+E) and he really won't remember. Just keep him topped up with calpol if he seems sore and at that age you won't even have to keep him buddy strapped for long! Hope you're feeling better about things, I'm sure we'll all do something similar sooner or later.

squirrel the other thing my MW had suggested when I had a blocked duct/ early mastitis was to put a hot flannel on my breast for 10 minutes before feeding. Otherwise lots of feeds/ massage/ rest as others have suggested.

All the talk of Christmas markets is making me envy...been in NZ over 6 years now and still not used to Christmas in summer. It just feels wrong! Christmas shopping should involve having to take off coats/ hats etc in every shop because it's so hot in there and then going back out into the freezing cold and not shopping in shorts and jandals (though currently having a late spring cold snap so back in jeans and jumpers last few days).

Has anyone with big breasts found a good BF top/ combination? I have a couple of tops but the hole for boob is just too small to be useful! Recommendations needed as would be good to have at least one top that doesn't involve lifting up my top and exposing whole boob and tummy to everyone.

JellyCurls Tue 26-Nov-13 01:48:10

legally just keep trying DS took a while to take to cot napping. I tried baby J today but failed miserably but will keep trying. Will they lie in cot during day to kick? DS always loved his cot and his mobile so maybe that's why he was happy to sleep there.

pink please don't feel bad children have accidents all the time. About 1.5 years ago my DH took our son to casualty on the Monday cause he'd eaten a houseplant that turned out to be poisoness to humans -cue big lecture from doctor. Then on Wefnesday of same week I had DD at hospital with a split forehead and a split back of head. That took some amount of explaining to do but freak accidents do happen. Learning a to share from that week are don't have Peace Lillies in same house as kids or cats as they are poisoness if seeds are eaten and don't let kids run down the hall if its littered with toys

Shootingstarsandcomets Tue 26-Nov-13 02:37:04

Ooh ana we are going to Christmas markets tomorrow too!! Well hopefully I am. I tried to go last week but ds1 was poorly and I couldn't send him to nursery. I'm taking the sling- I'll look out for another newborn!
natalie I've stopped crying everyday now but still feel overwhelmed at times. Have also employed a mothers help who starts tomorrow as I can't do teatime and bathtime on my own! DH gets back to late to help. I think it will help my state of mind a lot as I dread that time of day at the moment.

moonblues Tue 26-Nov-13 03:23:26

Hello, up feeding and changing. Thought I was past the nighttime nappy changes, but C likes to keep me on my toes.

Nat I find fine during the day, but get a bit grumpy and upset around 8 after I've got the kids in bed. Doesn't happened everyday, but is definitely worse when I havent eaten. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Congrats on the weight gain flyer

ananikifo Tue 26-Nov-13 03:39:02

shooting I'll look out for you too! I hope the mothers help makes your life easier.

My NCT group want to sign up for a £60 baby massage and yoga class. shock It seems like a lot of money, especially as baby massage is free and baby yoga costs £3 at my children's centre. I would also have to take public transport for a long time to get to the classes. DH thinks I should do it for the social aspect but as much as I love these ladies I'm not sure.

Ana do they meet for lunch/ coffee another time so you could still see them? I joined baby massage in Croydon which is not my closest to do with nct friend not on my own at children's centre and so I could start at the beginning of the course but is only £5 a session and easy to drive to.

Flyer you should write down what the dr said about A doing great and to ignore HVs to stick on your fridge.

Thomas slept from 9 until 1 then 2 until 4. Now not going down but have already had quite a good sleep. Hoping its a sign of things to come.

My right boob makes more milk in terms of what leaks onto the pad, interesting that most women make more that side, but T prefers the other one. In fact he refused to take right one the last two feeds and am expressing it now so doesn't dry up or get sore.

Also Ana,does J like being on his back? Thomas doesn't so I have to adapt and do it holding him. Might no want to spend £60 on a baby who will cry through it!

Mnippy Tue 26-Nov-13 06:11:34

Ana - seems a lot of money. Is there any opportunities to meet the NcT mums other than the classes, or do you think you'll be a social pariah and won't really see them again if you don't go?

DP being a bit of a bumhole (that's the pre watershed word I will use) last night and this morning. Really aggressively cross because I left the door slightly open while bringing baby into the bedroom after a night feed and letting the landing light interrupt his precious sleep. Also, left baby crying for too long before this current feed, to 'deliberately' wake him up...(I left him for about two minutes to see if his grizzling would stop. He had woken up and grizzled then self settled after a couple of minutes only an hour earlier so it seemed reasonable to try it again).

Glad you like our rules! Pity they are sometimes transgressed in our household.

Mnippy Tue 26-Nov-13 06:18:37

P.s. Baby much prefers my right boob as well - and it definitely has more milk.

Flyer - I understand your excitement re cleaner. I could have cried when mine started, it was amazing.

xuntitledx Tue 26-Nov-13 06:31:57

I really hope this growth spurt passes soon...

sad

emmoB13 Tue 26-Nov-13 07:05:23

Flyer I am so jealous of your cleaner! Especially because Dp has no clue with proper cleaning. My parents have one, maybe I can steal her.

Well DP redeemed himself after not helping to get things straight for my visitor. He cooked, served and cleaned up tea then provided wine and chocolate cake! Love having my best friend here, she's come to go to baby H's first imms today because my mum couldn't and then think we might (I no it's early!) put the Christmas tree up this afternoon! Usually wait til the first of December but she is so good at decorating I'm roping her in ha.

Although I didn't breast feed, I leaked from my right boob much longer than I did my left and it took longer for my right to stop being engorged. Never new there was a reason!

Jealous some of you are meeting up as I didn't enjoy my bumps and babies meeting and never did antenatal classes. My DP is from London so we do visit, maybe if your meets work out the same time I can join? Manchester would be good as I'm in Yorkshire!

Hope people managed some more hours and our babies are starting to settle more at night.

Natalieand Tue 26-Nov-13 07:12:31

emmo I didn't breast feed either and weirdly my left boob leaked the most had the most if I squeezed and took longest to dry up.

Harrison's now had 4 bottles with gaviscon in it and we've only had 2 tiny amounts of sick usually by now we'd have gone through 4ish soaking wet Muslins by now so its obviously doing something, hard too tell if its cheered him up as he was good at night anyway despite the sickness it is day times its a miserable hard to cope with crying mess time for him so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway one else's baby rapidly out growing 0-3? I fear half of his clothes will be wasted!!! Especially the trousers they seem to come up so short z

PseudoBadger Tue 26-Nov-13 07:19:22

I must be a bad second time mum as I honesty couldn't tell you when or how often C naps blush The only thing I know about her is that she'd like to go to bed for the night sometime around 9pm. The rest, she's either asleep or she's not.

Natalieand Tue 26-Nov-13 07:21:14

pseudo same in our house no day time routine yet I no when he has bottles but naps..... Well - what is a nap? Lol H likes to go to he's around 9 too but I hold him out till 10 usually x

PseudoBadger Tue 26-Nov-13 07:23:21

She sleep in the car or sling if we're out, that's all I know! DS doesn't nap anymore which is a shame.

Sanjifair Tue 26-Nov-13 07:23:26

Hope a reasonable night was had by all. We need to reset E's sleep timetable. She has us up until 12 or 1 am, then sleeps in good 3-5h chunks broken up by feeds until 2 pm! Then occasional cat naps in the afternoon/evening. Would much rather she slept in the evening rather than the whole morning! Not too sure how to accomplish it though, any ideas?

roofio87 Tue 26-Nov-13 07:39:10

flyer we'll have to meet up and go to the liverpool markets together. two women pushing prams and drinking mulled wine together is perfectly acceptable right?!?! grin

emmo where abouts in Yorkshire are you? I'm from Sheffield originally and now my parents live in Thirsk!

Had a good night here? H seems to be getting the hang of sleeping 11 - 7 30 with a feed at 3 - 3 30 ish so that's pretty good. he can drain 5oz in 8 minutes I timed last night so feeds are relatively short!!

Shirehobbit Tue 26-Nov-13 07:39:11

How about this for the next thread title - Routines?! Our babies clearly haven't read the manual.

I think Al has hit that storm before the 8wk wonder week. He's one grumpy (for him) baby.

This thread is not accepting new messages.