Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Start your runners (talk) and your new jars of Jam, 'tis the season-almost.

(964 Posts)
Vagolajahooli Wed 06-Nov-13 09:04:48

Here we are ladies, time for all that talk of christmas table runners and chrissie deccy colour combos. And will we be getting some new Jam in this thread! Maybe not quite.

Rubena Thu 07-Nov-13 11:53:19

Oh, and how painful is it to be fitted? For eg, I don't find smears at all painful but I know this is more involved! I'm thinking Beans is my resource here? - but I know you had probs beans - no?

sybilfaulty Thu 07-Nov-13 12:03:23

I have a copper coil and it is fab. It took about 5 mins post smear. No more uncomfortable than smear itself . I have one day of heavy bleeding and a few of light. The heavy could be down to my advanced age though. I'd give it a whirl.

Am at work. Back later

Rubena Thu 07-Nov-13 12:07:55

Oh Thanks Sybs! DH has suggested that it is a good choice for me, as hormones make me whacko (have been moderately in check on Yasmin, but still a moody cow) and doc badly wanted me off it due to my advanced age grin I really don't like this mini pill I've been put on, and what I've read about its side effects etc. so I'm ditching it. I've made a GP appointment, but should I have booked a double or will they say I need to have a chat about it first, therefore a normal apt? Do they fit it there?

beans37 Thu 07-Nov-13 12:43:26

Ask the receptionists, Rubes. My old GP place had a coil clinic. They'll tell you how it works.

I had mirena and didn't get on with it at all, but my sister swears by it. We've stupidly used withdrawal method last 2 times, but DH on cusp of agreeing to the snip. Next time will ask just before he comes. Then will get a yes to anything! ooh, might ask for an eternity ring too. Hee hee!!

Indith Thu 07-Nov-13 14:26:37

Placemarking.

Lingering cold from hell

Lots of work

Going to murder dd

But I'm going OUT this Saturday with my local MN lot. Wonderful, wonderful people that they are. Me and our old Dec 08er Spiggy are going to get a wee bit drunk on cocktails.

Take care you lot x

DeidreBarlow Thu 07-Nov-13 14:57:45

DH has been snipped so that's our contraception! I had quite high BP before coming off pill to get pg so didn't fancy going back on it! Thankfully we were both certain 2 kids was the limit so he agreed. He was in and out in 25 mins!grin

We are giving away the DCs guinea pigs as DD is so allergic to them. They barely get held as DS has lost interest do it's not fair on them. I have a lady coming to see them tomorrow, am actually a little sad if she decided to take them. Wuss am I.

Honsandrevels Thu 07-Nov-13 21:12:05

I'm trying to convince dh to have the snip. I've had more than my fair of medical interventions and I think it is his turn now.

Rubes The first time I had the flu jab my arm swelled up massively so was advised to have a piriton beforehand for subsequent jabs. Not had a reaction since. Not much help for this year but you could try that next year.

Indith Hope you feel better soon.

We have a big felt Christmas tree shaped advent calendar thing with pockets that I put chocolate coins in. I always plan to put nice Christmassy suggestions in too but never got round to it. I'm looking forward to getting all the lights up. It does cheer up the dark evenings to have some twinkly lights on. I'm thinking the 1st for the lights and festive bits and bobs, and the weekend of dd's birthday for the tree. Are we going to do a dec 08 secret Santa again?

I'm going to go to bed for a very early night. I'm so shattered. Night all.

Vagolajahooli Thu 07-Nov-13 21:12:15

Crikey so glad I read this, seeing your post about the guinea pig Deids, reminded me that the boys put the Hamster into the hamster ball this afternoon around 4.30pm. I was reading your post at 9.30pm and suddenly remembered we hadn't put the poor hamster back. DH and I just did a rush around and found the poor thing stuck under chair.

Rubes how is your arm? Sounds like it could be a localised reaction. Do you feel unwell otherwise? I have to say I am a big fan of vaccination, but I don't do flu vaccine. I had it one year for work back in Australia. I had never really gotten unwell with Flu before that year, but we got an extra 30 mins of our lunch break if we went and got it. That year all of us that had the vaccine were so sick with almost back to back respiratory infections. The hospital thought it was possible it was a bad batch. But I've never taken the chance again. However, I didn't have a reaction at the site. Did you say she gave it to you very quickly? I wander if she maybe pushed it in a little too quickly. Injections need to be given at a steady pace not too quickly. Though I think it is only a small amount of liquid so maybe wouldn't matter.

Vagolajahooli Thu 07-Nov-13 21:12:41

Arti, how did the MAP go?

Honsandrevels Thu 07-Nov-13 21:18:38

Missed your post there deids. That's a shame but better for the piggies I suppose.

Dd1 is nagging to get fish because her friend has just got some. I pointed out that we have two cats and she said 'but the cats are rubbish and just sit there. The fish are brilliant. We thought one of their legs had come off but it was actually their poo. It just floated off out of their bottom.' What more could you want in a pet!

Honsandrevels Thu 07-Nov-13 21:19:42

Oh dear poor hamster!

Right bed for me.

Rubena Thu 07-Nov-13 22:09:21

Vag I've never had the flu shot in my life before. When preg I got the swine flu one, and was fine, had to drag dh down for it. He's never had any other flu shot ever but he said they were nagging him and chasing him around at work and he basically said fine then, and had one to get them to go away! That night we were chatting about it and about the two sinus / eye infections I had last Winter off the back of 2 separate flu episodes the same Winter which floored me (you may remember me banging on about my awful eye infection when in India on a trip) Anyway, the other day I was in the GP for BP check to get repeat pill script filled and mentioned flu jab, GP said, "I'll give the flu shot to you now if you want, as it will be much better than risking that sinus stuff again" I started talking about maybe its a good idea, and i'd go for it, then of my fear of needles and she'd jabbed me so quick to avoid me passing out before I'd even rolled down the sleeve after BP cuff came off! Bloody good job avoiding the faint, but she did do it fast and quite low on arm (ie not in deltoid? more towards elbow) and that was it. Have felt awful all week, and today pain radiating down arm and throbbing. Jab was Monday. Feels ok tonight, and swelling has gone down - just red circle all around covering my arm still. DH said exactly the same as you and thinks localised reaction and perhaps I've been exposed to a strain in the vaccine before during travels etc. Not a bad thing as I guess am covered for any other but have felt like utter shite. Arm not aching now as I type so fingers crossed it'll be better tomorrow.

Have researched the coil more and spoken to DH again. Going to try the copper as I'm fed up of wondering if hormones in pill is what makes me mental grin and am fed up of bloating. yasmin was the only one that semi kept that in check but still made me moody. I rang GP receptionist (thanks Beans) GP's that can do it are on leave for 2 weeks so have got apt for it next week through local community hospital family planning as suggested by GP. dh reckons better too as they will do more of them so easier. Wish me luck! Will report back but looking forward to finding out if these hormones have been a problem in the pill as have been on it years. Feel even worse this week and may be a coincidence or directly related to the new pill as well as flu jab - confused will report back, and thanks again Sybs

Jam what happened you never came back about the US trip for dh?? And Artiiieee what happened with MAP? Hope all is well.

beans37 Fri 08-Nov-13 03:57:40

Giggling about hamster.

Poor you Rubes. Sounds miserable.

Sybs... Are you there Moriarty? I enjoy your quick posts then dash!

I went to bed at same time as you, Hons. Am now off back to bed post feed. DD3 really prefers a bottle to my boobs. Sob!

beans37 Fri 08-Nov-13 08:11:23

Really and truly DD3 doesn't want to feed from my boobs. I've expressed a bit recently and she clearly prefers it. A bit depressing. Oh well, I've done 7 weeks, which is better than nothing!

beans37 Fri 08-Nov-13 08:11:51

I'm too squirty.

DeidreBarlow Fri 08-Nov-13 08:36:03

Rubes when I was BF DS I took Cerazette. I think it actually made me mental!! Certain points of the month I almost felt like I could kill someone. When DH agreed to snip I stopped talking immediately. It took a while but I am now definitely less hormonal.

Arrtttiiieee Fri 08-Nov-13 08:39:48

DS was like that Beans. I think it's the risk of introducing a bottle early, I didn't with the girls and they loved the boobs but we gave DS a bottle at 5 weeks and he clearly preferred it. I have ploughed on with the boobs as DD/ has coeliac a disease and all the studies show the best way to minimise DS's chances of the same is to be breast feeding while he weans onto solids. Now it's got easier and he seems to like my boobs again but he already has two teeth (at 5 months!) so it's not great for me.

No sleep here. DS is my worst sleeper by far. So smiley in the day and so not at night. I feel like death warmed up today. It's my friends 40th tonight and I was so looking forward to it buying not even sure I can go now as DS is so bad it seems unfair to leave the au pair alone with him when the party is on the other side of town.

Arrtttiiieee Fri 08-Nov-13 08:55:43

Oh that's apparently the end of his 17 minute morning nap. Why would he sleep longer when he slept a whole 7 hours (broken into small pieces) overnight? FFS.

And yes I did take the MAP. No idea re future contraception. I can't do hormones, DH won't snip. Rubes I will follow your copper coil experiment with interest.

Honsandrevels Fri 08-Nov-13 10:06:36

Yes I'll be following your experience with the coil too rubes. It would be ideal if dh would get the snip but it isn't an imminent prospect.

That sounds rough arti. Mine were lovely as babies it was just during toddlerhood dd2 lost her ability to sleep through the night. I cannot remember the last time she slept all night in her own bed.

Does he nap better in a sling or pram? You could go for a walk and then stop off for coffee once he nods off?

Rubena Fri 08-Nov-13 10:59:32

Deids, heard that one is the worst of the worst. I've only been on Progesterone only for a week now and I'm hate hate hating it. Will keep you all posted about coil. May have to have Codeine and a stiff drink prior to fitting it as a local up the cervix isn't sounding terribly appealing shock Sybs did they offer you the local? Or not necessary?

Glad you got the MAP sorted Arti. Did you feel rough after? Hope you get the non-sleepy baby sorted too. Go to the party it will be fine.

mil driving me nuts again. People can't change can they.

Rubena Fri 08-Nov-13 11:05:34

Arm a lot better today too

Mckayz Fri 08-Nov-13 11:30:09

I had a miscarriage on Cerazette and know 4 babies conceived while the mums were on it. Bloody useless.

I'm on the depo jab but I'm have lots of bleeding. Not keen on implants or coils just because it sounds ikky. Such a grown up I am.

Rubena Fri 08-Nov-13 12:08:31

I would never show up if I needed a jab every 3 months but like the sound of (usually) no periods. I know too many people with massive weight gain on it too - mainly water I suppose, but the hormones can make you hungrier which in their case added to fat gain. I'm very keen to get off hormones.

sybilfaulty Fri 08-Nov-13 12:31:07

I didn't need a local as my cervix was open enough for the tube to be inserted without it. I have had a local in my cervix for something else though and it was fine - a bit stingy but nothing I couldn't manage and I am a complete wuss.

A GP friend of mine advised a couple of paracetamol and a swift drink before and after the coil. I had my appointment at 11.30 though, so did the drugs before and had the wine after. A bit of bleeding for a couple of days (just spotting) then it was all fine. I wouldn't know it was in (although I can feel the string if I ferret around at the top) and DH has never complained he can feel it, so all good for us.

DeidreBarlow Fri 08-Nov-13 12:34:21

Arti DS was a rubbish sleeper. Period. During the day we either went for a quick drive and I had to leave him on the drive with monitor, or push him back and forth in his pram in the conservatory.

Woman coming in an hour with her hubby to see the G Pigs! I hope she takes them (if she's suitable of course) but will be sad to see the little blighters go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now