Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012: we need more chocolate and cake!!

(993 Posts)
halestone Wed 25-Sep-13 22:07:45

New Thread

itsMYNutella Thu 26-Sep-13 19:24:51

spotty that's interesting about them still having 4/5 feeds a day, where is that? We have a packet of powder (for emergency use if I'm not here and DS won't settle) and on the side of the box it says 1/2 bottles from 6 months on which I though was odd. DS has eaten really well today and is starting to take more water so I'm hoping I can take advantage of that and drop some feeds. He will be 9 months next week.

utopian O is only a few days older than DS (1/1) how many times a day does he feed? He honestly hasn't come to me for a feed all day today (I haven't been putting him down for naps today).

I wonder if advice is different where you are Nutella, milk is the most important thing in their diet until they're a year old. HV's here advise 3 bottles a day once weaning has properly begun and it was a HV that said 4/5 feeds per 24 hours. DS is ten months today and has 3/4 feeds from me and one bottle a day.

utopian99 Thu 26-Sep-13 20:17:58

nutella he still has morning and night feeds, and one mid-late morning to make him sleep so I can work but if we're busy with groups he'll skip it and have a rice cake and dried apricots instead. I offer about an hour after lunch but he's less and less bothered and tends to wait till 5ish as I give him a mid afternoon snack anyway (supper is at 7.30).
Still on 1/2 overnight though..

WLmum Thu 26-Sep-13 20:20:54

Ts eating has been rubbish for a few days, I think it might be because she's back to taking lots of milk at night. Am starting to stop them again (started again because she had a cold and teething) so it'll be a few nights of gentle battling. Hopefully then I might get some decent sleep.

fod been thinking of you all day. Xx

WLmum Thu 26-Sep-13 20:24:41

Just off to ice the cupcakes I made for a Macmillan coffee morning tomorrow. They didn't rise very evenly so I'll chop off the tops and pipe buttercream on to hide it. Now, whatever will I do with all those cake tops?? [slopes off to find custard]

Barbeasty Thu 26-Sep-13 20:47:13

Spotty with DD I found I could manage with feeding being really up & down when she was 1-2. So even a night away so no feeding for 24 hrs wasn't a problem. I think your body would adjust to 1 a day.

A isn't bothered too much by my leaving him for a 10hr working day, but I think he's worked out that it's 10hrs if you see what I mean. So going to over 17hrs yesterday threw him. Nursery said he seemed emotional and not himself today! But I did get lots of smiles this evening.

DH had told DD that she'd have to change his nappy last night, because he's not as good as me, as a joke. So when he was getting him ready for bed last night DD got out of bed and asked if he needed her to change the nappy.

BopsX3 Thu 26-Sep-13 21:10:22

Nutella, Oliver's formula fed and he has two 9oz bottles and that's it, he doesn't night feed at all. Up until a few days ago he had 9oz In the morning with breakfast, 5oz about 10am ish and another 9oz just before bed but my HV told me to cut out the 10am bottle so he just has the two 9oz ones now

BopsX3 Thu 26-Sep-13 21:12:40

Ah barbeasty that's lovely that your DD wanted to change a nappy smile

I've told my 2 older DSs that they're on nappy duty before and they both ran off screaming and hid under their beds grin

itsMYNutella Thu 26-Sep-13 21:46:03

Beasty your DD is such a sweety! How long did you feed her for, if you don't mind me asking?

Bops that's interesting about bottle feeds. Thank you.

If DS comes to me and wants more I'll give it to him but I was sort of curious to see if he would last all day. I have noticed before that if we are out a lot he will fall asleep in the buggy; but when we were at a friends the other day and he was tired he came to me for feeds but wasn't really interested, just wanting comfort really and probably to go to sleep. He won't feed while we're out because there are so many things to see and do. I'll see how he is tonight.... grin

halestone Thu 26-Sep-13 22:30:02

My HV said H should be on 20oz of formula a day now and that her actual meals would make up for the reduction in formula. But H is awful at weaning some days she does ok some she eats nothing. I've decided to follow her cues and get her what she wants.

Hoping for a better night than last night. Do you think its possible for Colic to come back at this age?

WLmum Thu 26-Sep-13 22:31:59

If I'm not working I offer T mid morning and mid afternoon feeds in addition to the wake up and bedtime feeds she always has. Sometimes she guzzles, sometimes she's too interested in other stuff. She has been having one big feed and one/two snack feeds during the night which I'm aiming to slowly (ish) stop.

WLmum Thu 26-Sep-13 22:36:30

I think that's a good plan for now hales. If she doesn't up her food in a couple of months you can tackle it then. I don't think it's possible for colic to come back. Could something else have been troubling her? Teeth? Cold?
I thought of you when I met my friends new born - very ginger - like her mum, H and the cat! My friends hair is very distinctive and a bit of a trademark and she's delighted that lo is ginger too.

I can't imagine it's colic Hales. Maybe she had something that upset her tummy? Or it could be teeth as always.

We had a bad night with this molar, I stopped counting at ~5 wake ups. DS is back up to 6 x 5oz bottles per day. He's been refusing food since he was ill with that cold. Slowly trying to build it back up again and reduce the milk but he's but having it.

I'm glad your sister is able to go out to your dad FoD. Do you have support at home still?

halestone Thu 26-Sep-13 22:47:05

Willyou and WL it could be the molar but i think i'm imagining feeling it as i can't feel it now. Though that seems to happen alot with H's teeth before they pop through for good IYSWIM. She has got rosy cheeks and a red bum though.

Gingers are well the best WL haha. H's is very very Ginger i love it too, i'm very proud of it for some odd reason. Was it weird seeing a newborn? I can't imagine having a newborn now, although i would like to be able to put her down whilst i go the toilet and come back and she still be in the same place.

FoD i hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.

BopsX3 Thu 26-Sep-13 22:50:57

I have 2 ginger children grin

Ds2 and Oliver are ginger and I'm ginger myself. DS1 is the odd one out in my house with blonde hair

WLmum Thu 26-Sep-13 22:57:45

It was lovely and she felt so tiny (8lb). I had a lovely 'on the shoulder' cuddle and felt just a smidge broody! That was a bit odd as I didn't/don't particularly feel like that about bil/sils lo (4 months ish) but maybe that's because we're not very close and my friend is one of my oldest and bestest.
I think teeth can play hide and seek for a bit and I think it's the movement before they properly pop through that often causes the most distress. Poor little lambs.

WLmum Thu 26-Sep-13 23:01:21

bops a bit oddly my friend didn't want her ds to be ginger (he's blond) but I have a secret thing for ginger men - not brown ginger but proper ginger! Have had several ginger grown up crushes - Don't tell DH!

BopsX3 Thu 26-Sep-13 23:06:21

Ill post a pic on my profile in a second of how ginger DS2s hair is. I took it the other day because I was trying to show a friend what my hair used to be like before I started dying it

2blessed Thu 26-Sep-13 23:10:40

hales H's feeding pattern sounds a lot like R's. He's mixed fed now and generally loves his food but sometimes very fussy. Its easy for me now so long as I'm at home but hope he'll go with the flow once he starts nursery.

He's been in bed since 8.30 with one wake up for a quick cuddle.

BopsX3 Thu 26-Sep-13 23:15:01

Ive put it on. youll have to let me know if you can see it, its the first time Ive put a pic on my profile. Im v.proud of his hair grin

also, I have no idea why my profile says I have no children... I have 3! confused

PurplePidjin Thu 26-Sep-13 23:15:29

Thinking of you fod thanks

R gets up at 5:30-6 for breakfast with daddy. Boob at 7:15, sometimes nap but i think he's dropping that one. He sleeps around 10ish for 40-60 minutes, earlier and longer if he hasn't had the breakfast nap, later and shorter if he has. Then around 1:30/2 for 30-40 minutes. Dinner is 4:30 now dp has started his new job, then books, bath at 5:30 and boob 5:45. He only comes out of the cot for a nappy if he wakes after midnight otherwise a hand hold and Ewan (sometimes calpol) settle him down.

Tonight he woke after I'd gone to work so they took him downstairs, read some books then dp put him back to bed shock

I'd rather he had milk in the day and got the sleep at night, he's pure grouch when he hasn't had enough over night despite his short naps!

halestone Thu 26-Sep-13 23:33:41

I have no idea how to get on profiles Bop, on here on my phonehmm

WL i have always had a thing for Gingers apparently alot of boyfriends and crushes have been ginger. Its a longstanding joke that if a mans ginger and not good looking i'll normally fancy them haha.

jackandjilly Fri 27-Sep-13 06:37:39

Morning all

Still thinking if you FOD

Well it was my best friends mums funeral yesterday. She did amazingly well and managed to get through her reading. I stood up with her and held her hand. There was not a dry eye in the place and it was totally packed out. The younger siblings all did brilliantly too, poor souls. hmm

J was not happy about being left with people he didn't know very well. Think he is a bit of a mummy's boysmile

Stayed with my friend last night, had a few wines and a chin wag. V late to bed and up at 4.30 ouchy! Got a 3 hours drive home today.

utopian99 Fri 27-Sep-13 06:56:22

hales click on anyone with a blue name on the thread and it takes you to their profile..

bop what Glorious Hair! How old?

I have a horribly sore throat. This doesn't bode well.

BopsX3 Fri 27-Sep-13 07:29:56

Jackass jolly what a wonderful friend you are smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now