Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March 2013 - 6 months down, 210 to go!

(996 Posts)
StormyBrid Mon 16-Sep-13 10:26:50

Old thread.

Keep on rambling, ladies, we have a whole new thread to fill!

vjhist85 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:16:53

Right plonky I've pmed you my real name, thanks for taking the initiative!

I am a great believer in painkillers. I also have some very strong ones for when my back gives me problems. Turns out they're also great for period pains. I now feel lovely and fuzzy. I can totally see how people get hooked on these things!

vjhist85 Wed 23-Oct-13 20:33:15

You're right eco, sadly I'm on my own all week so can't pass all work over to DH as I would like to. Roll on Friday night.

As for our days. I am mainly in the benign neglect camp, although most days we get out and about, have a sing song, play silly games. But I always make sure she has at least an hour of rolling/attempting to crawl/independent playing. I'm going to try to get things done in this time instead of watching tv/playing on my phone. I think when I go back to work I probably won't have the luxury of time to do it. In terms of housework, I try to go for the 15 minute rule, I set my phone timer for 15 minutes a few times a day. It's amazing how much you can get done especially against the clock.

Sorry you're feeling sad. It must be really tough. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have my mum around. Sounds like a visit is a good idea and will make you feel better. unmumsnetty hugs

somethingbeginningwith Wed 23-Oct-13 20:58:17

Ooh a fb group. I'm going to wait for you all to join so I can put names to...mn-names and see your beautiful babies! In the meantime, I'm going to take advantage of DP's suggestion of having a bubble bath!

We play quite a lot together, I've now accustomed myself to the fact that I live on the floor but if I didn't, we'd have bumps and bruises all over. But we do have Disney Junior on a lot, unless I've recorded something crazy important that I have to catch up on like Made in Chelsea or True Blood or Misfits then we watch that together...hmm. Although, I do try and get things done when I see he's distracted himself with his toys but stormy you're right, it's looking like it's playpen time and that baby Dan one looks good eco, thanks for suggesting it.

And worse, the dropping baby thing is definitely more traumatic for us than them. We have quite a high cot and I accidentally let DS roll all the way to the floor, landed on his hands and tummy, shouted at me, then spent the next hour laughing like he wanted to do it again!

WingDefence Wed 23-Oct-13 21:19:31

Ooh lots to catch up on. I've everything I wanted to respond to though confused

plonky remind me when you're back at work?
I'm officially back at work on Monday, although on AL, and back in the office on Monday week. Argh! I'm not dreading it as such though. I am sad that DD is being totes gorge I can't believe I just typed that at the moment and I won't be getting the amazing smiles she seems to save for me like this>> grin grin grin but I'm starting to recognise the signs of 'Wing needs to get back to work' that I had when DS was 7-8 months, before I went back to work when he was 9 months.

I am on FB but I found that when the JSing grads thread set up a FB group, we pretty much stopped talking on here instead and have just become like any other FB friends really, liking each other's photos and commenting on baby-related statuses. Which is a shame as on MN you can write nice long post about baby poo and how to wean etc etc! Let's hope that doesn't happen to us lot (even though I know I'm guilty of not always posting regularly...).

Anyway, I promised myself an early night tonight ie 9:30 as it's been past 11 for these last few evenings and DD has a cold so has been waking for a feed at 5-5:30am and I'm knackered! brew

WingDefence Wed 23-Oct-13 21:20:08

*I've forgotten everything I wanted to respond to. Dur.

Plonkysaurus Wed 23-Oct-13 21:25:55

Wing I'm now back at work tomorrow. Nerves have dissipated from today's anticlimax! With you on seeing signs that you need to get back to work though,despite the baby being completely gorgeous now.

I doubt the fb group will be more vocal than here. Like you say, you can write big long posts on here etc, plus Worse isn't on Facebook.

Eco big hugs. I struggle to cope with my mum being on holiday for two months. I'm sure she'd be so proud of you and yours, you seem like such a nice person.

Anypants Wed 23-Oct-13 21:31:17

Hello all <waves>
Been off doing not a lot but keep running out of time and get to check MN but not actually post. Then again, if I haven't got anything interesting to impart, should I?

On the subject of dropping, I was taking some pics of DD when she was about 5 months old. I had her on the dining room table and did some using the remote on my veh posh SLR camera. Whilst I was merrily checking through the pics on the back of the camera, I failed to notice that where DD was kicking her legs, she was sliding ever closer to the edge of the table until THUMP followed by WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH and she was face down on the floor. I nearly vomited but just pretended like it hadn't happened. I haven't told anyone that until now.... thlshock

SoYo Massive congrats on the sleep through - I hope you get over the eating issues soon. Perhaps now she sleeps more, she recoups energy that way instead of needing to refuel with food because she's used up all her energy staying awake, IYSWIM?

pudtat Thu 24-Oct-13 07:06:01

Genuinely upset that we can't have a full fb set hmm but appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea (I treat it a bit like here and lurk a lot usually) thanks plonky anyway.

Am rubbish at remembering stuff and on phone so will just hope nights were better. I have a work dinner tonight so will miss bath and bed hmm. Am trying to avoid too many such things but my work tends to attract event invites and I have to do some.

vjhist85 Thu 24-Oct-13 07:39:40

I'm already struggling with linking real names to nicknames on fb. Some are easy, like eco whose fb profile looks very, well, eco. And plonky who has the name of a major wine retailer under 'employer'. Might take me a while with everyone else though! And you're right, I like it over here on mn for everything other than pictures. Lots of nice detail, and even though I'm now friends with some of you on fb (and one of you in real life!), I still feel like I'm protected by the anonymity here. Unlikely to discuss all things menstrual on fb, for example. Owwwwwwwwww!

pud there's a reason why I'm not on FB. I was, once. I've been open on here about my less than ideal relationship with DH, and although we're together forever la la de la la etc it is still very raw, and very hard. I still have bad days, days when I can't get past it, days when I'm one step from walking out. I always will. FB is how I found her, and she uses it to hurt me. Posts stuff on an open page just to remind me where she was, and when, so the penny drops. Posts photos of herself in a bikini, just to remind him what he's missing. We've both deleted ourselves, won't go back.

I'll be sorry to lose you all to FB, as I love the camaraderie on here, but if I go back on there I'll look. I won't be able not too. If I do that I'll leave him.

StormyBrid Thu 24-Oct-13 08:16:11

Maybe we could persuade worse to make a secret fb account purely for the looking at cute baby photos? Real name not actually required.

We've been trying to run our days from 8am until 8pm, in preparation for the clocks changing. So Fartypants decided to wake up at 6.30 today. I am now feeling delightfully corpselike. On the plus side, three times in the past week we've had no dummy returns at all. I've ordered a big dummy-holding rabbit anyway though, because it can't hurt.

Not much to report here, except the lights went on across the road at my brother's at seven this morning. I couldn't help but think, poor sods, over the coming weeks they're going to realise seven in the morning is actually a lie in.

I have had to make a list. Facebook group is hurting my brain when I try to remember who's who.

vjhist85 Thu 24-Oct-13 08:17:29

We're going nowhere wors. It's just photos and will remain that way I'm sure, this is where the real gossip happens! I'm still in awe of how strong you've been by the way. Mr wors is a very lucky man.

StormyBrid Thu 24-Oct-13 08:24:14

Ah, crossposted with worse there. Very good reasons for not joining us on the dark side!

Plonkysaurus Thu 24-Oct-13 08:43:34

Ah Worse there's no danger of us defecting. I'd have to start flirting with some other unfortunate soul then.

Oh and Any I can't suss which 'you' is the real you! What's your profile picture of?

Me and the babysaurus are both dressed, breakfasted and ready to go. Thank god I don't have to be out of the house before nine. He slept really last night, in fact we had to wake him at 7.30! So he's had calpol and will be going to nursery on the proviso that he's left to sleep as much as he wants.

Right ladies, best go drink sell some wine.

WingDefence Thu 24-Oct-13 09:22:53

Ooh worse the OW sounds like a right cow angry

We are off to Gulliver's World theme park for kiddies today. Looks like dry and sunny weather (must wrap up warm) and hopefully little rides for little babies too as well as DS and my 12yo niece who we're taking. Really looking forward to it even though DD has got a cold, poor thing. (Must remember the calpol...)

KFFOREVER Thu 24-Oct-13 09:23:47

Morning all.

What?! You are all real people with real names and all?! Congrats on the opening of the new fb group.

Dont worry worse im not on fb too. I was until ds was born. I just dont have time/energy for the fb politics that go on so i switched off when ds was about 3mths. also i couldnt cope with baby, fb and mn. Something had to give

Yes to the F. wink

Well we were bad parents last night. Ds fell off the sofa despite dh and I being on either side of him. We had hours of clingy grizzly crying baby before and after the fall. Bloody teeth i just want them to come through.

plonky enjoy your first day back to work.

VJ Mr Worse is a bl**dy lucky man. At least he realises that now.

Stormy I'll have a think, might be a very good next step in getting over myself. I shouldn't let the past dictate my future.... or some thing. The whole therapy speak. Bit beyond me grin

Plonk you, flirting, with an unfortunate soul? I could get offended like wink

Ah Wing in the complex world of relationships (a world I wish I had never entered), she isn't a cow at all. My DH was a b*st*rd, promised her the earth, delivered her nothing, and she's lashing out at me as to blame him would be to admit he isn't all that. I don't much like her, but I do feel that perhaps in her own way she is hurting as much as I am.

Oh yes, the menstrual cycle discussion. Lovely. Well, I can report periods post birth when on the pill are still hell. I had no clue. Was quite shocked actually. VJ it might not be the PCOS causing the delay between yours, things are often a bit screwy for quite a while after a baby. Fingers crossed. Hope the low GI-ing works for you. I too am chowing on protein and whole grains. Will report back whether this is having an effect on anything other than my molars post next scan.

Any you have my sympathy. That vomit feeling - I can identify. It would appear babies are made of sterling stuff. Apparently my dad dropped me on my head at the top of a mountain in Yugoslavia when I was six months old. I survived, but it explains a lot grin

Eco big big hug. Losing your mum must have been so hard, especially now you are a mum too. Life deals some low blows.

StormyBrid Thu 24-Oct-13 09:54:31

I found a really good way of not having to deal with facebook politics and drama. You just go through your friends list and delete about 90% of it. I do this every few years. Last time was before I started seeing the man, and I deleted him, and he was very sad, and then I re-added him, and have no idea why, but it all worked out very well. See, deleting people works!

Now scrolling through the cast list of that celebrity thingy programme, looking for names beginning with F. Have now decided KFF is secretly called Freddie.

Rainbowbabyhope Thu 24-Oct-13 13:41:06

FB and photos sounds like fun but afraid I value my anonymity for various reasons although I will be sad to miss out on all the pictures of all your cute little ones! worse you have my admiration - you must be an incredibly strong person and your DH is very lucky.

My period have been fine since making a reappearance but for some reasons not been comfortable using tampons anymore so thinking of getting a mooncup - anyone have any experience of this?

We have not had a fall yet but DD did nearly fall through a highchair at a restaurant the other day when I forgot to put the strap between her legs. Luckily she has a fat little belly which stopped her falling onto the ground. Not fun!

Really interesting to hear about everyone's days too - we have a lot of interactive play and I try to never use laptop around her (we don't have tv) but do encourage independent play whenever possible. Unfortunately this is quite rare at the moment as DD is in an extremely clingy phase due to teething. As for housework - not a priority for me. Would never spend time cleaning or washing instead of spending time with DD unless I run out of vests for her and pants for me! We have a cleaner every fortnight who keeps house looking decent. Absolutely the best money spent ever!

plonky, wing good luck with going back to work! For me working since DD was tiny (albeit from home and generally in the evenings) has been a lifesaver in terms of sanity and also financially of course (can't bear not bringing in a proper income!). It allows me to lets me feel normal and not just be defined as a mum.

Anyone heard from leni lately? If you are lurking hoping everything is going well with you and your DS.

ecofreckle Thu 24-Oct-13 20:18:45

Vj less than 24 hours and you get dh respite! I like your fifteen minute whizz idea. UNlike rainbow, who must not create a mess in the first place, I need to squeeze housework in somewhere otherwise we'd live in chaos which in turn would drive this mummy crazy. I'm going to try it. Eco baby loves watching me do Pretty much anything so I see it all as part of her education. I do however (really!) Regularly say 'you might be seeing mummy doing the laundry but it's not always mummy's job, smmetimes daddy does it and that's ok too. Maybe when you're a big girl your dh will do it all.'..... For worse and otherg not on Facebook now you've said I look well Eco they'll probably picture some sort of nut case! Glad I was easy to spot though.
Something I cannot work out who is who on Facebook pics. DO you have always as your cover photo?
Plonky, so how was it? Was your knob boss a knob? My eclair by the way was in fact plural and was of the course a cream filled, chocolate covered variety. It helped! As would a glass of vouvray. I should ask you one day in professional capacity to suggest other Loire alternatives as I can't always find It.
Wing how was your day out? Is that the one in Matlock near Plonky?
PUd, now you have me wondering about your job, I can't recall what you do. How was your night out and how were things back home?
stormy did farty stay awake til your eight o'clock bedtime what with her early morning? Good idea
Worse what did you see through the round window today? HOpefully a bit of progress on the conservatory.
Our day was brighter today. Sun was warm all day.I have hatched a plan to visit church/dad/sister next wed-Fri so feel like I have a plan now. Today ze Met friends nd did a load of geocaching. We also graduated onto sitting up bath thing tonight. Was it you stormy who had no joy with it?
SORRy that's an epicly boring post. MOjo lost with ability to sleep at night. Hope you all had good days.
Ps. ANyone know if there's news on anyfucker? HArd to search on phone.

SoYo Thu 24-Oct-13 20:30:24

Rainbow I was just thinking about Leni, hope she's ok. Leni, if you're lurking and feel too much time has passed since you last posted just jump in and ignore all that's passed since.

Eco I think MNHQ has made a statement somewhere about AF and she's just banned for a week.

We've had a day of nap refusal (we got 20 measly minutes at 3pm) and food refusal (all I could get in her was some of Ella's fruity sweet purée). I can only assume teeth are the trouble but no physical sign of them.

I'm attempting to mix up the foods a bit so there's savoury courgette and cheese muffins baking as we speak. They better be good!

So how do I get into this FB group? My nosiness has got the better of me!

ecofreckle Thu 24-Oct-13 20:34:49

Ah, interesting soyo re af. Thanks.
Facebook wise, pm Plonky with a name she can search to find you and she'll add you to the group. A brief description of your profile pic so she know's she's found the correct soyo would also help.
Try not to worry about the food refusal. They say it doesn't matter. She still taking milk?

Rainbowbabyhope Thu 24-Oct-13 20:55:30

eco plenty of mess created here but DH and I do any daily tidying (like dishwasher, quick wipe up of kitchen surfaces, occasional loads of washing etc) together in the mornings before work, in the evenings or on the weekend. We see looking after the house as a shared job and not something that is my responsibility during the day while looking after DD. Totally with you on making sure DD sees an equal division of labour which is one of the reasons we do this.

soyo teething causing some upset to normality here too. Lots of grizzling and general impatience with stuff. One tooth properly poking through and it is scarily sharp - I am thankful I have been consistent in telling DD off for any chomping while breastfeeding since the beginning (as much as you get tell off a baby judging by the cheeky grins she gives me) - no chomps for a while now and praying it continue so I don't have to sample the new weapon!

soyo can I also pick your brain about night weaning - did this happen as a natural consequence of your gradual retreat sleep training or did you actively do anything else, like refuse to feed between certain hours?

ecofreckle Thu 24-Oct-13 21:20:48

Rainbow do you have childcare already? I meant to say earlier about mooncup.... Despite my name I have never tried. But have meant to. Maybe we should both try and share tips! There are lots of threads on here about them, with advice. After my third degree tear and subsequent prolapsed feeling I'm surprised to find Tampons ok. In what way do they feel wrong for you? Maybe more time needed? You still ebf? I had banked on periods staying away for much longer!

SoYo Thu 24-Oct-13 21:28:48

Rainbow we haven't fully night weaned and it wasn't what I set out to do but it's been a natural consequence. After the first few days she was settling easily without a feed until about 5am so then I thought I would try not to feed before 3am. She's always settled within 15mins after midnight and before 3am so I haven't fed her at that time since we started. We've had a few days where I haven't fed her until after 5, but last night at 3.45 I went in and she wasn't settling at all within a few mins so I fed her and she went back down until 6.30. I tend to take each waking as it comes but those are my general ideas. I have to say, if she woke at 1 and wasn't settling and I wasn't happy I'd still feed her then, it just happens we haven't had that yet.

Suddenly that seems a long paragraph to say not a lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now