Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - The first fearless steps and the rest of us hoping our babies remain stationary for a bit longer

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Sat 07-Sep-13 08:25:10
ChasingDaisy Sat 07-Sep-13 19:53:20

QQ. Are people still having their pushchairs parent facing?

Passmethecrisps Sat 07-Sep-13 20:05:35

Sounds lovely chasing

Still parent facing here.

TheDetective Sat 07-Sep-13 20:09:33

HAHAHA Pass that's the kind of shit that goes down in our house. I am never brave enough to post it though! Maybe I will next time! grin

Beer (I wanted to call you Beer...mmmkay?!) fuck. Sounds not good. And a big fucking coincidence. However, new bed, awesome. I love a new bed.

Chasing O is rarely parent facing. I switch him occasionally, but he's a 'show me the motherfucking worllllllllllllllllllld' kinda baby. No surprise there then?! He gets bored parent facing. Shouts til I switch him round. I think he wishes he had a 360 degree swivel head!

Kyz I loved my mothercare 3 wheeler with DS1 it was one of my favourite prams. Very bulky though. But ace to push. Like a dream. They still do them I believe. Oh, and I reckon E will be walking any day by the sounds of it. That was where O was when he just took off!

Walking. O could be a little less smug about it hmm. That is all I have to say!

I have decided I will let him climb the stairs twice a day. In the hope that is satisfies his climbing urges. hmm

Today in 5 words. Climb, whinge, drool, snot, strop.

I have less hair.

fruitpastilles Sat 07-Sep-13 20:13:05

S is still parent facing..... until tomorrow when my new pushchair comes.

kyz I can recommend the baby jogger city mini, I've got the normal 3 wheel version but I really want the GT version.

chasing I have the Oyster parent facing still but my BJCM faces out and M loves it

TheDetective Sat 07-Sep-13 20:14:01

DP wants another baby. He suddenly said to me, 'fuck, he's really growing up quickly'. He looked sad. He wants to do it all over again.

I may use this to my advantage. And tell him we can have another if he does ALL night feeds. grin

TBH, I'd like to have another sooner but financial wise we need to save up - I am NOT doing only 6 months of mat leave again. It was horrific. I want 9 months. So we need to save up 5K minimum. sad

And the thought of hyperemesis with a baby like O to look after. Or any baby really. No ta. grin

fruitpastilles Sat 07-Sep-13 20:17:19

fatima that's what I have coming tomorrow, the gt version, I'm so excited sad cow

fruitpastilles Sat 07-Sep-13 20:19:42

det my dp said the same today, about her growing up quickly, not about another. He works so much so really misses out, he's not doing overtime this weekend so has been here with us all day and couldn't believe the changes in her. Makes me a bit sad that he misses so much.

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Sat 07-Sep-13 20:23:12

We have an umbrella buggy so forward facing. I use the parent facing big truck to take her into the garen and to block off the hallway. On dog walks we have a carrier on the chest. I'd put a picture up but it pushes my already huge knockers down and is vvv unflattering. So the odd rambler and horse rider, boar and deer are the only ones to see that.

ChasingDaisy Sat 07-Sep-13 20:28:04

I do love my Sola but I think I may have to invest in a more lightweight umbrella buggy at some point. Perhaps the Luna, but I'm not sure if that comes in any colour other than pink...

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Sat 07-Sep-13 20:32:34

The nights are drawing in so dd1 is up most evenings to chat with the hedgehogs nesting in our woodpile. She loves them.

Passmethecrisps Sat 07-Sep-13 20:42:20

We will need to get an umbrella for our hols. Nice is pretty hilly though so not sure what to do for the best

Passmethecrisps Sat 07-Sep-13 20:42:45

I want a woodpile with hedgehogs in.

Passmethecrisps Sat 07-Sep-13 20:43:07

Love hedgehogs. They are full of awesome.

I know fruit I'm v jealous grin
I'm really tempted by one but seeing as I already have a BJCM it's a bit of a waste of money. I'm going to look at the Versa GT in place of the Oyster and then reason with DH that it'd DC2 if we have one wink

chasing they do a green Luna I think but I don't think it's umbrella, I think it folds in half but not certain.

fruitpastilles Sat 07-Sep-13 20:56:09

Ha that's what I told dp, I said we can use it for number 2, he actually believed me grin

Ha ha, that's what I was thinking. If I got a BJCM GT then I'd use it with a carrycot from birth

fruitpastilles Sat 07-Sep-13 21:05:40

To be fair though, if it's as good and long lasting as I think it's going to be, I'd have no qualms using it for dc2

Evilwater Sat 07-Sep-13 21:13:06

Hello all,
chasing great to hear you had a good day.
N is facing the world in his a pram.

To sum up today, two words:
Attachment theory sad aka separation anxiety.
So he's just wants to be around me, and just me. Normally he's happy with my family, but no not today. Everyone is a stranger, but me sad as soon as I went out of a room he screamed and cried till I came back. And I mean every time.

So what should I do?
Evil

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Sat 07-Sep-13 21:18:53

evil just sit it out, act as normal, leave when you have to but always tell him you love him and when you'll be back. Good practise for later. At the nursery they always remind us to say goodbye and that we will be back in an hour, two, four, etc. The French work on the theory that babies understand anything and everything from almost newborn. I don't quite believe that but think they do understand so much more than we think, that making and keeping promises even now, and explaining things, is good practice.

YellowWellies Sat 07-Sep-13 21:19:08

Still parent facing here until Monday when my nipper 360 arrives! Whoop di doop! Kyz the nipper / outnabout 360 is an amazing all action push chair 3 wheeler off road job. Currently £165 and free delivery and rain cover from Oxford pram centre online.

DH is just fitting a stair gate to keep Jonas out of the kitchen / off the kitchen step. Man he's going to be a pissed off bear at breakfast!

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Sat 07-Sep-13 21:20:30

Oh, and that they have to get used to us not being there all the time. But as long as they know we're coming back it won't hurt anyone.

Evilwater Sat 07-Sep-13 21:23:26

Thanks ginger it's so difficult to know what to do. He's very distressed, and it's up setting.

Evil

YellowWellies Sat 07-Sep-13 21:26:18

Evil lots of hugs, reassurance and keep him close - build up his confidence and his already secure attachment to you and he'll be ready to take on the world in a few weeks. Separation anxiety is a good sign - it means they're strongly attached to you - babies who don't bat an eyelid when their Mum's leave are much more troubling to psychologists. Pushing them away to toughen up as they recommended in the olden days makes separation anxiety much worse so just lots of love and cuddles. What a wee sweetheart he is smile .

MsJupiterJones Sat 07-Sep-13 21:29:05

Hello new thread.

We're still in Ireland, making the journey back tomorrow. Hope it goes as smoothly as the outward one. It's been a nice week with the in-laws, I am very lucky despite possibly complaining about them on the recent IL thread .

L has come on in leaps and bounds this week, so many people to chatter to that he is making lots of new noises and sounds, he's also learnt to clap (from seeing sea lions at the zoo). He is much more confident on his feet and cruises from surface to surface, pulling himself up on everything (particularly radiators confused). He's gobbled down MIL's food which has pleased her! He also seems to find me really funny and we have had some hysterical times. So a very good week.

Not so good is he has a nasty cough and cold so is streaming and waking himself up with coughing. He's a bit clingy and fractious but doing well considering.

Look forward to catching up properly when I'm back. Hope quichelings are behaving! xx

This thread is not accepting new messages.