Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012: and now the babies have mischief in their eyes.

(998 Posts)
halestone Sun 25-Aug-13 21:51:45

New thread

ISpyPlumPie Fri 06-Sep-13 19:22:56

We're having nap issues too. Think N has pretty much dropped his morning nap now. He fooled me yesterday by having it in the buggy on the way back from preschool, but this morning he was determined to soldier on. He then fell asleep just in time for lunch, so we had a missed meal blush. If this is going to be his new pattern, I'lll have to bring his lunch forward but it's just impossible to know. My feeling is he needs his nap earlier as he gets increasingly frustrated with things, but try telling him that!

He is also uber-clingy. He's fine if he decides he wants to be off exploring something dangerous and unsuitable but the second I leave the boundaries of the zone known only to him we have a meltdown. As he gets more tired, he wants to be picked up and won't let go for a second. It's at its worst in the evening - we are basically back to baby juggling until our betime, which now consists of co-sleeping pretty much from word go.

Think it's a combination of a severe case of nine month cling, and the fact he seems to be going through a little bit of a leap - lots of independent standing, climbing and more 'conversational' babbling (if that makes any sense).

Sorry for the essay. He's brilliant but it's quite tough right now.

WLmum Fri 06-Sep-13 19:23:40

Haha lazza that dates you nicely, makes you about the same as me by my reckoning!
Am on track for my 9.30 curfew - both goals could well be achieved today!

WLmum Fri 06-Sep-13 19:30:51

ispy Ts naps schedule has been ruined by the return to school. Am just trying to wait until the new schedule becomes clear! Am really hoping that these 5.30 starts are not part of the new way.
Evening cling is one reason I just bought the ergo - T is often a bit fussy and clingy as she gets tired early evening but I've got to be able to do stuff.
Are you happy with the co- sleeping or wanting to change it?
Sorry it's tough just now, it could well be as you say due to developmental leaps. We've now got stair climbing but still no babbling, just baby noises iykwim.

ISpyPlumPie Fri 06-Sep-13 19:58:10

Tbh I'm not sure WL. When it wasn't all night, I just felt that it's what he needs at the moment, so go with it. We're in a situation now though where DH and I are sleeping apart every night (he doesn't feel comfortable co-sleeping - he's fine with me doing it, but worries about rolling onto N himself). In fact, it's got to the point where DS1 refers to the spare room as "daddy's room" blush. Don't feel that this is healthy in the long run. .

OTOH, I keep think it's just a phase, it'll pass and I don't quite feel ready to try CC yet.

I do feel though that I need to get it sorted before I go back to work next month, although I fully accept that in itself is likely to set things back again anyway. Aaaargh!

Stacks Fri 06-Sep-13 20:04:49

T has started singing recently. Not babbling or making any English speaking sounds, just lots of voice varying. It's cute though, and much better than his high pitched screech that's used for everything else.
He's also started taking things apart, tearing tissue, paper... finger foods. Well, kind of everything. Plus taking things out of his mouth to look at them half way through chewing. Anyone else?

We're a bit off the 9 month cling I think, just 8.5m now. There's signs of it coming though, when he's feeling fragile or tired he'll scream if I even think about walking away from him. I guess I should start getting him used to the sling!

Pidg, and other reusable nappy users - random question, what do you use to wash your nappies? Mine have detergent build up from using liquid. Going to do a strip wash but wondering what to use in future. I've heard you can use Bold 2 in 1?

WillYou I'm very impressed with everything you managed today! I'm seriously considering hiring a cleaner.

I'd like one more baby, now T is sleeping we might even manage it. Not for a while though, one seems like enough work for now. smile

WLmum Fri 06-Sep-13 20:49:21

Stacks I've always just used my normal non-bio, but do usually so an extra rinse. Never had detergent build up issues - to my knowledge! - how did you know?!

jackandjilly Fri 06-Sep-13 21:05:50

Lazzaroo- thank you it does help to know it will pass. She has had a better day today so that's a relief.

Terence Trent Darby, sign your name, that is a blast from the pastgringringringrin

PurplePidjin Fri 06-Sep-13 21:15:37

Powder is better. Try and avoid conditioner and optical brighteners smile

PurplePidjin Fri 06-Sep-13 21:17:14

I do prewash - 60* wash - at least one extra rinse. 1tbsp powder, occasionally a splash of white vinegar if the bamboo is getting crunchy.

utopian99 Fri 06-Sep-13 21:57:48

I do ecover powder or napisan, 50 degs normally. Strip washing preloveds I do a 70 degree with nothing in the drawer.. So far seems fine.

We're only just 8 months so as yet not too clingy and hoping to keep it that way. Sleep has gone rather downhill this week due to development jump (crusing and singing) and teeth though.

We're still aiming for three - were going to start TTC next month but there is a mooted friends trip to Ibiza next year (inc another couple with similar age baby so we can swap baby sitting duties,) so thinking of putting it off to November so I won't be so much at risk of early birth interfering. Not sure if that decision means IABU.. I still want them close in age though if possible.

Stacks Fri 06-Sep-13 21:57:55

WL they start smelling strongly when they're full of pee. Also don't smell completely fresh when clean. I read this blog randomly and it made me think I should give it a go.

I guess I'll be moving to washing powder soon. Some people have suggested ecoeggs, anyone tried them?

utopian99 Fri 06-Sep-13 22:39:55

No but I've heard recommendations too..

The Small is waking up grizzling every 40 mins - this is utterly new to him. Any ideas? He doesn't want milk to settle, just cuddles..

2blessed Fri 06-Sep-13 23:21:35

I've got the eco egg. Was recommended to me as I.have eczema. I found a thread on here I think in housekeeping. Don't use it often.

Stacks Fri 06-Sep-13 23:49:53

Utopian cosleep? Might be teeth or illness or just wanting mummy. Is he settling quickly each time?

Have you tried calpol? Even if he's not screaming a headache or toothache can be really bothersome even if not really painful.

utopian99 Sat 07-Sep-13 03:52:23

Yes, he's on alternating calpol and ibuprofen, poor thing. Have been giving him extra gum gel and milk and we now have sleep in 1.5 hr chunks. Might be cosleeping soon anyway, dh said the same thing about him just needing someone there while it's painful, poor creature. (Ds not dh!)

He did forget about teeth for long enough to have a great time jumping on our bed with dh earlier though.. grin

grin Utopian at your DH and jumping on the bed. I second teeth and i second cosleeping when they're poorly.they sort of check you're there, adjust positions and nod back off, all without you moving!

Mine's toying with a bottle, there's no way he's hungry the speed he's slowed to after a couple of oz. not drunk a lot today though as MiL didn't give it him hmm, they think he should be off milk now. I mean what do health professionals know anyway?

MamaTo3Boys Sat 07-Sep-13 18:03:32

Hi all smile how is everyone and all your LOs? Not had time to read through the thread but ill catch up later.

Oliver has discovered he can move around in his walker. So far hes emptied all the kitchen cupboards, pulled all the ornaments off the shelves in the living room, tipped the laundry basket out, pressed all the buttons on the washing machine mid cycle and emptied the tumble dryer shock little terror! Haha think its time to properly baby proof my house.

And you said he didn't move 3boys! wink

Ds just climbed onto the table (dd's table) pics on fb...

Ds just started crawling properly, not even a few crawls he just went off and did it! So long commando crawling!

MamaTo3Boys Sat 07-Sep-13 18:45:27

Haha he wasnt. The past 1-2 weeks hes all of sudden started standing with support, sitting unaided and pushing himself around in his walker grin. He was defo just being lazy haha.

Think i was just worried because on my 20 week scan they spotted a kink in his spine and also I was ill during pregnancy, in and out of hospital etc. The kink had disappeared on a 34 week growth scan but it was still in the back of my mind

MamaTo3Boys Sat 07-Sep-13 18:46:13

Spotty hell be discovering a whole new world again now as hes crawling grin have fun!

He's been getting around really quickly with his commando crawling so I didn't think he'd bother with proper crawling smile I got very excited blush

WLmum Sat 07-Sep-13 20:06:39

Great news 3boys and spotty. Crawling is just so cute. Ts fave thing is emptying stuff - today mostly the kids books.

Loving the ergo. First outing today and I managed to get a sleeping Tabs out of the car and into it without waking her! I had to put her on my front which I wasn't planning as she's so heavy but it was fine. She was prob in there for a good 1.5 hours, cutely asleep for about 30 mins under the groovy hood, while we walked in the woods. I love the woods too!

utopian99 Sat 07-Sep-13 20:27:19

Crikey spotty!

O has learned how to reach and turn off the wireless router. Not impressed.

WLmum Sat 07-Sep-13 21:42:11

Donated my wedding dress to oxfam today smile. They had a bugaboo in there! I told the old ladies how much it was worth and they were very shocked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now