Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The 6th Broadly Gemini Luxury Bus - this way ladies.

(994 Posts)
FrussoHathor Fri 09-Aug-13 17:14:41

Welcome aboard our 6th bus ladies.

AGnu Sat 10-Aug-13 17:41:17

Lol! Love the NC Frus!

Pear, yes but my local hospital person is the one who told me it doesn't exist. The bloke in London has trained with a world expert in TTs & will do both the TT & ULT. Might as well go for the best we can... I did try to convince DH to let my fly to NY to have it done by the expert. Oddly enough, he wasn't so keen on that idea. Can't imagine why! wink

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sat 10-Aug-13 19:30:06

Good luck with convincing DH AGnu. I hope it is soon for you.

List to that noise... What do you hear..?.. Nothing. Good. That's called victory. 3 children fed, bathed, and 2 in bed, before 7.30.

Oh frus, never never post something like that, you know what tempting fate did!

Lorelei353 Sat 10-Aug-13 20:25:46

impressive Frus/Daisy.

My ds still won't go down for the night before 11-12. He might have a short nap around 7.30/8 but it'll be less than an hour and then he'll want feeding and just won't settle or be put in the crib until late. He might sleep for four hours then.

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sat 10-Aug-13 20:34:09

What did tempting fate do?

Ps I now have 3 sleeping dcs. <does a little party dance>
#1 woke wake up again until 7 or 8 tomorrow. #2 won't wake up for a few hours meds, the problem is getting her to sleep in the 1st place ds is in his cot so only need to move the cot now.
Question is, do I watch another episode of fringe or go to bed?

Lorelei353 Sat 10-Aug-13 21:20:50

So, I'm finally going to start expressing milk for DS. I have the Medela electric pump, and I'm going to do it in the morning when I'm really full. Can I ask some stupid newbie questions?

Will the pump just get a certain amount and then it'll stop coming out? It won't just keep coming will it?

How long until DS can feed from that breast then? Will it fill up again quickly?

How much do I need for a feed? Will I get enough in one pumping session or will I have to do it a few times?

We're just going to do one session and see if DS will take the bottle. I want to do it so I can go to Pilates on Thursday so I'll only be out of the house for just under an hour and a half.

peardrop2 Sat 10-Aug-13 22:20:01

Frus 12 week growth spurt? Really?

Agnu I know someone who paid £80 to have it done at Epson hospital! I know you've probably tried everything but it might be worth calling them?

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sat 10-Aug-13 22:24:32

Will the pump just get a certain amount and then it'll stop coming out? It won't just keep coming will it? it won't just keep coming, think of it as a carton of milk rather than a tap.

How long until DS can feed from that breast then? Will it fill up again quickly? I only do one side at a time. So if ds needs feeding (they can smell you pumping) you have one side ready to go as it were. As to how long it takes to refil, that can vary. Mine can be between half an hour, or it can be much longer. Drink plenty of water and it shouldn't be too long.

How much do I need for a feed? Will I get enough in one pumping session or will I have to do it a few times? I'd say see how you go, you may get a 1/2oz or 4-5oz. I'd aim for about 2x3oz for your time frame.

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sat 10-Aug-13 22:28:12

pear yup. Afraid so. It's their last feeding frenzy before it all settles down. IME it's plain sailing after that one.

Lorelei353 Sat 10-Aug-13 23:03:08

Thanks a lot frus. It really helps to know what my expectations should be (roughly). smile

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sat 10-Aug-13 23:30:15

First time you may not get a lot lore then again you might but you can store it in the fridge (main part not door) and add to it. As long as the milk is the same temperature. So sticking the 2nd bottle in the fridge for an hour and then adding it to the 1st.
It adds up after a while, and if you regularly express you body makes extra milk to compensate.

I find that sometimes I have to trigger my letdown reflex by hand before using the pump. not always though discounting ds, change in temperature triggers mine. So a fan or ice touching my boobs, or the freezer isle in the supermarket a steamy bathroom works too.

My ds probably wouldn't drink the whole 6oz. He doesn't take more than 5 in a feed from a bottle. But I prefer it stored in smaller amounts as there's less wastage if the person with ds misreads his feeding cues. Can always warm up another 3oz if he is hungry than wasting 6 if he isn't.

Frus answered all the questions exactly as I would have, I'll just add what happens for me....
Will the pump just get a certain amount and then it'll stop coming out? It won't just keep coming will it? I usually express about as much as I would for one of M's normal feeds about 5 oz. It usually takes about 10 minutes until I'm not getting anything else. I've only been able to get 1 let-down when pumping, but sometimes have had several from 1 breast when M feeds. Thinking about your DS's face when your feeding him, what the feeds feel like or looking at a picture of him will help you get a let-down that results in more milk production.

How long until DS can feed from that breast then? Will it fill up again quickly? It takes me about 20 minutes until M can get another let-down. If I'm planning on expressing milk that day I try to get in an extra 1-2 glasses of water than normal to compensate.

How much do I need for a feed? Will I get enough in one pumping session or will I have to do it a few times? You may get enough in 1 session, or you may need to express a few times. I'm like frus storing the milk in smaller quantities or just warming half of the normal amt at a time feels like we're not wasting all the precious milk!

We headed to the Irish Fair today. So fun! We are all exhausted, sunburnt, and dirty, but it was really good. Thankfully dh got his act together after I get really mad and shouted at him to get up blush<I may have told him he's useless when he's hungover>

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sun 11-Aug-13 08:01:41

Drip.

Drip.

Drip

Drip

Drip
Drip
Drip
Fffffffffff

I'm not finding it funny any more. I only have to think about letdown and it starts.

bring in sorry you've had to shout at DH to get results.

Well DH has gone fishing with dd1, and dd2 is still asleep. So it's just me and the boy.

AGnu Sun 11-Aug-13 09:24:55

I listened to her & have been working on the latch & tried him on the left a couple of times. My vasospasms are back. Joy. hmm One topless meal later & I'm back to expressing from that side again!

Lorelei353 Sun 11-Aug-13 09:26:49

Thanks everyone for your advice. I tried expressing this morning and got 3oz from one breast, before I stopped. It was still coming but I figured that was enough to introduce the bottle to DS tonight, bearing in mind that I'll be here if he needs more.

On another note having been complaining that he never goes to sleep before 10.30/11 he totally caught us off guard yesterday, he went down at 8 and we thought he'd be up in about 30 mins but he stayed down for three hours. We hasn't dressed him for bed or given him his bath and had only put him down in his pram in the living room instead of the crib! He didn't fully wake up then but we did get him changed and fed then he settled straight back down in the crib just after 11 and slept until 2.30, then quick feed and back down until 5.30. Good night!

Librarina Sun 11-Aug-13 10:07:23

I have a crusty cleavage from my top boob leaking while I fed her off my bottom one!

Does anything happen at 8 weeks? She's 8 weeks today and has turned into a sad, grumpy baby almost overnight.
Cried on my boob at bedtime (I think cos her sleep suit was a little small and her foot was a bit squashed). And again this morning (this time cos she had a wind). It's a good job I got a reasonable (bloody marvellous) sleep last night 9-5.15, 6-8.30

Am being apart from baby for the first time today, she's going to baby massage with her daddy!

Librarina Sun 11-Aug-13 10:14:16

Lor, I get about 3oz from an expressing. I do it once every 2 or 3 days just so she doesn't forget how to take a bottle.

FrussoHathorAKADaisythecow Sun 11-Aug-13 10:57:00

AGnu have inboxed you a number.

lib crusty cleavage? grin

Right. Worried that M has pyloric stenosis. Found out that my dad had it as a baby and that it's hereditary and her symptoms sound really similar to what Dr. Google says (shame on me). Although it seems she doesn't have a severe case of it if that's what it is. She doesn't go in for her well-child check up until the 23rd so here's to hoping that she doesn't forcefully puke on me too many more times between now and then (as our doctor is always totally booked solid). She did a doozy last night all over me. Woah it was disgusting. Like I even had to change my own underwear because I was covered in grossness.

Oh agnu I'm so sorry you're having such pain with feeding your little guy! I really hope you're able to find a new option for someone who will see him.

Wow Lib what are you going to do all by yourself? Enjoy your break <jealous>

Lorelei353 Sun 11-Aug-13 17:00:18

So, DH had had his first bottle! It wasn't a massive feed as he wasn't tha hungry so he took about an ounce before falling asleep. DH loved giving it to him although felt a bit of pressure. He took it really easily though - we have the Medela Calma bottles. I felt really emotional about it though. I loved watching DH do it, But felt a bit like a third wheel, like I'd been usurped. I may have shed a little tear or two blush

Lorelei353 Sun 11-Aug-13 17:02:16

bring that sounds a bit scary. Hope you're not too worried. You know googling symptoms is dangerous as you'll always find the worst case scenario.

Great news Lor! I totally know what you mean. Up until now you've been the only one being able to fully take care of your babe. Even though we all grumble about it one time or another, it still is an amazing thing and it feels kind of sad when someone else can all of a sudden! It's still a good skill for the littles to have.

I'm not majorly worried. I was just speaking to my mum about baby's symptoms yesterday and she mentioned about my own dad's condition as a baby so I looked it up. It could just be that she over-eats or is reacting to something that I'm eating so I'm just seeing it as something we should rule out.

Lor I cried the first time dh gave dd1 a bottle! It was my milk but it still upset me, I think it's exactly as bring said, the fact they've only needed you before and giving up a tiny but of that, it does get easier and in the end you'll apreciate being able to have abit of freedom
I don't know what's wrong with this thread o my phone app but it won't let me in, it keeps kicking me out although it lets me read others! I've had to come through on the Internet but you guys are worth it lol
We've just had a full 12hrs!!! Put the little monkey both down at 7 last night and they've both woken at 7:10, and part of that was because we heard the bin wagen and realised the bin had not been put out and had to rush up dh's job ofcourse! I think they heard the door as they both woke up straight away

Oh and bring hope your wrong about little m but if your not that it's not to bad, I've no idea what it is

No extreme barfing yesterday, but I was super conscious of her cues and if she detached from the breast, I just took her off completely and burped her straight away....which lead to me having a ton of milk by the end of the day! Now I feel really bad that she may have been over-eating all this time and I had no idea. We'll see what today brings. I've also completely cut out the trigger foods and have been dairy free for the past 2 days.

Went out for a run this morning. Felt good but now I'm totally exhausted and I still have a complete day to get through with the monsters. Urgh. I wish there was some way you could workout and train w/o actually having to do anything. <.......yawn.......>

That's awesome that they slept the night through! You must be feeling fantastic this morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now