Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

June 2013 (2) - attempting to get into a routine!

(1001 Posts)
MrsBri Thu 08-Aug-13 01:29:14

New thread for us ladies. :-)

curlyclaz13 Fri 23-Aug-13 08:04:29

Power cut here too (or fuse blown but haven't checked yet)
oscar went down at 11.30 and woke every hour until 7 and is wide awake now. How does he do it ? I cannot wait until tomorrow when OH can have him between feeds so I can sleep.

Sunbeam18 Fri 23-Aug-13 11:18:13

Hi, and welcome back Aloha. Hope you are adapting ok to the uk.
We are still in London on our small holiday - reason for this being that the car broke down on the m1 on our drive down last Sunday. We were stranded on the hard shoulder for over an hour with baby in the car. Not a pleasant experience. We then got towed 100 miles to London, so need to get the car fixed before we can drive back to Edinburgh.
Keir is not sleeping well away from home so lots of coffee is being drunk in Islington cafes!

SunnyL Fri 23-Aug-13 11:28:58

Aww sunbeam that's tough. Escaping the Edinburgh crowds only to get stuck in London. Bummer.

I've just finishing decorating Lily's christening cake and even if I do say so myself it looks flipping awesome. It's not exactly subtle but if big and tropical to reflect the fact that DH and I met in Fiji so is covered in frangipani flowers. Hopefully it will taste good too.

Folks are arriving tomorrow for the christening weekend so it's a big BBQ at our house tomorrow night then a big garden party at my parents on Sunday after church. Going to be exhausted come Monday!

pinkapples Fri 23-Aug-13 22:09:12

Oh no sunbeam do they know how long it will be? I bet you can't wait to be back home now after such an eventful break

Awww I'm sure it's lovely sunny and I'm sure it tastes great have a lovely weekend it sounds like you'll be busy

Am I the only one with mood swings feel so cross most of the time and its mainly hubby getting the brunt of it kicked off tonight when he accused me of not caring for Theiah all because I can't remember when I took her to the doctors for her eczema and therefore don't know when I should take her and tell them the cream isn't working grrrrangry how rude! I checked the prescription date on the side of the cream so I do in fact know and it was 2 weeks ago should I have remembered or was he being a tw*t?

Also do you think 2 weeks is long enough to give a cream to work ie can I go back now and tell them its doing nothing but making it worse?

curlyclaz13 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:23:04

pinkapples you are not being unreasonable not remembering the date ! I would go back if the cream is making her worse.
I don't think men get motherhood, my OH is lovely but sometimes I. wany to punch him, he has gone out tonight, when he left oscar was crying his eyes out as he is overtired as am i his argument is he can't do anymore than I can angry thankfully Oscar has finally fallen asleep and I am in bed too.

rrreow Sat 24-Aug-13 01:31:06

My toddler has been asleep since 8.30pm, my baby has been asleep since 11.30pm. SO WHY AM I STILL AWAKE AT 1.30AM?!!! sad

Mrs81 Sat 24-Aug-13 03:34:21

Pinkapples, 2 wks seems long enough to give the cream a decent shot so def worth going back to docs. (and I'd have prob forgotten the date of last appt too)

Curly, I hope you are getting a better night tonight smile

Does anyone have any tips for re-introducing bottle feeds of EBM? DS used to take a bottle fine, but now rarely does - as though he's forgotton how to suck : / More often than not, when DH tries to give him a bottle there's just a lot of fussing and crying until I cave in and BF instead...

SunnyL Sat 24-Aug-13 04:34:29

Mrs81 we had a period around 6 weeks when she started refusing the bottle which apparently is quite normal in the growth spurt. We gave up completely for a week before retrying. When we did we did it during the middle of the day when she was quite awake and not cranky. Shes now perfectly happy with a bottle again. Hope it works for you.

Mrs81 Sat 24-Aug-13 06:17:51

Thanks Sunny. DH is off work on Monday so will make a point of trying during the day this weekend and three days on the trot.

Now you mention it, the bottle fall-out here was prob around 6wks too.

Hope your christening and accompanying celebrations go well this weekend by the way. Your cake sounds amazing grin

DontmindifIdo Sat 24-Aug-13 12:35:57

Oh. My. God. The girl slept from 7pm - 8:15am with one feed at 10:30pm. Truely fabulous. I should feel great, except well, my old friend was visiting, had a bit of vino after nearly a year of not drinking and I was throwing up in the night and now feeling like death. A hangover with a grumpy baby and a bouncy toddler is not to be recommended. My diet plans have been shelved in exchange for eating left over chocolate cake from last night and drinking lots of black coffee.

Ladies, learn from my mistake, re-introduce alcohol slowly - we have lost our tolerance to it.

I really hope last night wasn't a one off with the sleeping, I could do with this being the new arrangment.

HungryHorace Sat 24-Aug-13 13:24:04

I'd gladly take a hangover if DD slept like that!

curlyclaz13 Sat 24-Aug-13 15:25:05

A better night here, I had a 3 hour block of sleep followed by a 2 hour then every hour until 8 am. I have just ordered a monitor and a Ewan the dream sheep ready for trying to sort a routine next week.
What has worked for you, I am thinking bath, story, feed, down in crib with dream sheep ? I have put my name down for baby massage but that is not for a few weeks yet.

curlyclaz13 Sat 24-Aug-13 15:46:14

I forgot to tell you all about our fun adventure yesterday, We went to meet OH from work with the intention of going to his parents for tea, this involves a train journey and I had him in the sling half way there somebody decided he wanted feeding but no time on the train so shove my finger in his mouth to calm him. Start walking up cue screaming fit so i had to stop take him out the sling and stop to feed him in a bus stop, didn't notice the cctv camera until after !

arlandria666 Sat 24-Aug-13 21:29:19

curly I bath Elliott have a cuddle and feed and he goes down between 7 and half past with Ewan on he has been sleeping til about 11 to midnight feeding then 3 ish and then 7 ish on a good night...sometimes he falls asleep on the boob but other times I just put Ewan back on and by the time I have been to the toilet he is back asleep.
he is 3 months now tho and up until 2 weeks ago he wasn't going down until about 9 ish just being fussy from 7 til then!! I am hoping this will last but I won't hold my breath lol we haven't tried to get him into a routine it's just happened thankfully

Curly we do bath around 6, then bottle and bed. I'm going to introduce a book before bottle soon (when he stops crying when he gets out of bath!)
Then it's sleep around 7-1am.
Feed then another feed around 5.
This works for now so I can get on with jobs while he is in bed (cook tea, sort washing, iron, watch tv if I've done jobs during day).
Dh suggested putting him to bed later so we have a later night feed but this is when ds is tired, and its easier to cook (and eat a hot meal) when he's in bed!

We are also starting baby massage and baby yoga in sept. can't wait!

Mrs81 Sun 25-Aug-13 05:12:34

Curly, we usually bath between 7 and half past, followed by a feed (too much crying to do a story atm). Feed can take anything up to an hour then DS falls aslseep. Left to his own devices, he'd then sleep until anytime between 1am & 3am, and then wake again later in the night but I started doing a dreamfeed around 10.30pm and he usually sleeps until 4-5am and needs a feed then.

We still get some duff evenings and nights but for now he's pretty good at night. (No idea how long that will last!!!)

Oh, and we also found better nights started when we stopped using Moses basket & moved onto cot plus he seems to really like his baby sleeping bag too smile

Good luck!

HungryHorace Sun 25-Aug-13 09:39:15
MadameJ Sun 25-Aug-13 11:06:26

Thats hilarious HH!!!

I'm getting slightly concerned that my dd is the only one without a good bedtime routine. She seems to still want to cluster feed in the evenings but when she does finally pass out she does a 6/7 hour stretch so selfishly I haven't tried to change it
She isn't grumpy in the evening just hungry so hopefully I am doing the right thing following her lead??

HungryHorace Sun 25-Aug-13 11:19:12

We have neither routine nor long sleeps, Madame, so you're doing better than us!

MadameJ Sun 25-Aug-13 12:36:32

Ahhh they have changed it now hungry!!

HungryHorace Mon 26-Aug-13 00:46:30

I know. Disappointing.

I did put a photo on my profile but even though I made it public it wasn't showing up earlier. Silly MN. :-/

SunnyL Mon 26-Aug-13 07:48:26

We've had a tremendous weekend here. It was Lil's christening weekend and a lot of people had travelled up to help us celebrate so its been a flurry of partys with DH also running tough mudder in amongst it all (a mental 12 mile run over obstacles including barbed wire and electric shocks). We all survived despite routines being chucked out the window and baby being passed around so many people.

Was bed early for us last night though.

Today is quiet except our first swimming session. We've got a swim nappy - mio bambino - but my SIL reckons i might need to double bag her. Anyone any knowledge of that?

Hawkmoth Mon 26-Aug-13 08:08:42

Great start to the week. I've been up since five. Everyone else was asleep but baby won't go back in the crib without screaming and DH is very noisy and sleeping diagonally. DS has just got up and is playing with his action figures.

Supposed to be going to the pub this afternoon with my sister. I think not. Very scary reflection in the bathroom mirror an hour or so ago... Any chance it wasn't me?

Sunny we are doing puddleducks and they request double nappies so a happy nappy on top.

This thread is not accepting new messages.