Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 - Part 1. Remember your pelvic floor exercises!

(979 Posts)

Time to start the post-natal thread.

And start those PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES!

Runswithsquirrels Tue 01-Oct-13 18:40:04

Hello all, I'm another who has been absent too long. These babies really do keep you busy, don't they? I hope everyone is well. X

Nexus6 Tue 01-Oct-13 22:19:48

a child that doesnt cry isnt trying to communicate! (surely?)

cheekbyjowl Tue 01-Oct-13 22:31:40

I'm sure he does cry. Maybe not as much as mine , and.he's a really sweet child, I just don't find her attitude that helpful.and was a good reminder to myself to not do the same. Think there are some comparisons that help i.e. "oh.child a did x too and we found that y helped" but the "ohhhh was your childs first word 'mama'...how cliche ...my childs first word was quinoa"etc type attitude is ugly.

dinkystinky Wed 02-Oct-13 10:09:04

Cheek - its all just a phase. If her baby isnt crying this week, it may well be wailing down the walls next month!

J, having kept me up for most of the past few nights, is now having a big fat nap. Typical!

dinkystinky Wed 02-Oct-13 10:10:34

In other news, js teething necklace arrived yesterday. He looks v cute with it on. Not sure its actually going to do anything but worth a go...

wifey6 Wed 02-Oct-13 10:12:25

Oooo we have a teething necklace too dinky. K prefers chewing his fingers at the moment but hoping he'll use it soon. Can't believe our tiny babies are teething already shock

wifey6 Wed 02-Oct-13 10:15:54

I have a weaning question (although K is only 13 weeks old!) I weaned DS1 at 16+ weeks - obvious signs he was ready, HV said it was ok & he was so satisfied on solids. Mentioned it to HV last week & she said not to wean til 6+ months shock
I was never told that 3 years ago when DS1 was born!

wifey6 Wed 02-Oct-13 10:16:37

Sorry - posted too soon!
So...my question is - who is weaning from 4 months & who is waiting til 6 months?

Beginningofthejourney Wed 02-Oct-13 10:57:30

I thought the advice re weening is ideally wait til 6 months but if baby is ready its ok to start at 4 months? Because use theo was 6 weeks early I got info pack from Bliss and they recommend waiting until baby is 3 months corrected...theo is just starting to take notice when I'm eating (and he's huge!) so think he'll probably be sooner rather than later (he's 4 months not corrected)
I went to the theatre last night and left theo with my brother and they survived and I had fun, he didn't want the bottle, but was happy, so I fed him when I got home then he only woke once! Happy morning today!

wifey6 Wed 02-Oct-13 11:08:30

Thanks beginning!
Ooo theatre sounds good. Was that your first night out since baby?

dinkystinky Wed 02-Oct-13 15:11:44

Glad you had a good time at the theatre Beginning - and that Theo and your brother had a nice evening together.

Wifey - ours is a hazel wood one that is meant to soothe through his skin. Looks cute on. Ds2 had one too. Am waiting till J is nearer 6 months to wean - ds1 was weaned at 4 months 7 years a go and was a mare, with ds2 I left it till he was ready to wean (he showed he was ready by mugging me for my carrot cake!) and he took straight to solids (basically eating what we ate) straight off. I think ds2 was abit over 5 months old.

Silver15 Wed 02-Oct-13 15:15:22

I was thinking of introducing J to solids close to 6mths but may be earlier. I was told 6mths when I had my first 2 and that's what I did. That's 5 years ago.

In other news J and DS2 have a cold. J woke up a couple of times as a result. His got imms on Friday.

Beginningofthejourney Wed 02-Oct-13 16:30:10

wifey I went to a wedding at the end of July but it was only five mins away (and my mum had theo) so I could get back quickly, I was actually more relaxed this time though smile however not sure if it was baby brain or if Cabaret is just a slightly strange show!
2nd cranial osteopath session today...hoping for a more noticeable result this week!

wifey6 Wed 02-Oct-13 16:38:24

beginning bet it was nice to have some time for yourself.
Can I ask what the cranial osteopath does?
Thanks all for you're views on weaning.

Beginningofthejourney Wed 02-Oct-13 18:17:03

Doesn't look like she does much but apparently releases tension in (for Theo) head, neck and tummy, I think that's right. The hope is to help his reflux, help him poo more regularly and also sleep. Because my labour was so quick and theo was very bruised from the nose up it was recommended that it might be beneficial. Also she said theo has a lot of tension in his chest/tummy so he can't take as much milk as he needs therefore feeds frequently and doesn't sleep as long as he should.
Not sure if its psychological but he does seem happier this afternoon, I think he has slept a bit better over the past week, he's certainly settled back to sleep quickly in the night. Also we noticed we couldn't bend Theo's feet up to his face before which we can now, so the does seem to be less tension.
I know people that have had amazing results from it, so thought it was worth a try. I probably haven't described it at all well but I will keep you posted. (Sorry for long post!)

wifey6 Wed 02-Oct-13 19:32:49

It sounds very beneficial for Theo, which will be better for both of you. Incredible what they can determined is upsetting baby in that way. Thank you for telling me. My nephew is a very frantic baby - I will be recommending my DSis looks in to it.

dinkystinky Wed 02-Oct-13 20:29:27

All 3 of my boys have had cranial osteopathy - ds1 for difficult birth and inhaling meconium, ds2 had cord round his neck and stomach trauma as a result and j for fast birth and his reflux. It helps their bodies release tension and realign. I'm a big fan.

shelley72 Thu 03-Oct-13 06:51:31

Morning all.

Can't believe we're talking about weaning already shock. The time is flying by, sadly. Didn't realise that weaning could start at 4m, we were always advised to wait until at least 6m (5 and 3 years ago). Ds was about 7m before he showed any interest in picking up food and dd1 about 6m. We'll see what F does. I'm just hoping that she doesn't have the same issues as big sis and I can stop the other two feeding her things she won't be allowed like honey!

Another here who swears by cranial osteopathy. All three have been, first one for colic and because he was stuck during birth, and two girls for being in breech position. F only needed two sessions, seems to have the least issues of them all.

And whoever it was that encountered the competitive mum - smile and ignore. I am the complete opposite of that if anyone asks about the dcs I usually proceed to tell them all their bad points or what they've got up to that day -they probably think I don't like my children much!

ReikiMummy Thu 03-Oct-13 11:57:08

my oh's mum asked if i was going to start weaning soon (wtf?? at 10 wks i don't think so!).

why does it seem that everyone wants our lo's to grow up so quickly?!

Thinkingofmyfabfour Thu 03-Oct-13 16:10:51

I'm going to try to wait till 6 months too, have managed it with other 3, but we'll see! M is one hungry baby and is having an especially hungry day today!

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Fri 04-Oct-13 05:03:03

We'll be waiting until 6 months, unless N started showing signs of being ready/grabbing food. We started at 6 months with DD1, but she wasn't really all that interested until closer to 7 months.

Abzs Fri 04-Oct-13 10:35:05

I managed to frighten my poor boy this morning. He was just dropping off after feeding at 6am and I sniffed (am coming down with something horrid I think). He did a full star jump startle response then screamed. Poor love flooded his nappy as I hugged him so we both had to have dry pyjamas. He did give me a smile as I changed him, so I think I'm forgiven.

cheekbyjowl Fri 04-Oct-13 11:57:46

Abz I sympathise. J does a big bottom lip.curl followed by a wail every time I cough....I don't think he's ready for bonfire night yet

VinegarDrinker Fri 04-Oct-13 19:48:53

Just checking in. Been a busy week or so - wedding in N Wales (we are in London) & bathroom being finished. As of today the builder is out so hooray! And I had my first shower at home in 3 years, was goooood. DCs tried out the bath tonight too and seems they approve.

B uas been feeding 2 hourly overnight for the last week too. I'm shjust getting over a cold and also had second jabs on Weds so hopefuls it's just that and she'll go back to going longer very soon. Otherwise she's just lovely, still seriously mellow, smiley and chilled out. Her face when she sees DS just makes my heart melt .

Re weaning we'll be aiming for

Retoo. weaning we'll be aiming for 6m

VinegarDrinker Fri 04-Oct-13 19:49:50

Oh FFS bloody phone totally scrambled that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now