Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March 2013 - still too sleep deprived to think of a funky title

(996 Posts)
StormyBrid Sun 21-Jul-13 08:36:47

Old thread here.

We seemed to be running out of space (again) so I made us a new thread.

Eco based on my experience GPs are very poor at diagnosing and very good at saying wait and see. I would ask for an urgent referral to a paediatrician. It might be nothing, but if it is not it will reflect very badly on them if they have done nothing. Make that clear to them if you have to! Could you stretch to a private consultant appointment? You'll get seen much faster that way and can switch back to the NHS for treatment if need be. If DH hadn't had a full on scary you WILL do something conversation with my GP I'd still be sitting here with a retained placenta being treated for a minor bacterial overgrowth, so sadly it does seem pushy is the only way to get things checked out. Hope it's nothing, and baby eco is just feeling a bit out of sorts. Big hug, it must be very stressful.

Leni call environmental health, London has a pretty good noise pollution section. Some boroughs have 24/7 cover, and will shut down parties immediately. They also won't tell anyone who made the report.

Plonky nothing to boast about here! Nothing like a stupid car on the drive for saying my DH is a bit of a t*t, and having a mid-life crisis. I just thank the lord he doesn't think leather trousers suit him. As for Jensen Button... I wish. In my dreams! DH has done a track day with JB... so the nearest I've got to that particular vision is a glove he may possibly have touched grin.

Had a lovely day with the ILs yesterday, who are, well, lovely. You know the stereotypical granny who knits cute clothes, smells of nice things, is all soft and cuddly and good to fall asleep on? Well the worselet has one of those. She has no idea how lucky she is. She also looks gorgeous in the new outfits. For anyone looking for little dresses that do not look ridiculous, the answer is a knitted tunic over a baby grow. Awwwww

Best thing though - DH and I got to go out for dinner and came home to find the happiest, sleepiest baby and granny. Good end to a good day.

Enjoy your BHs everyone, and an extra big flowers for Eco-family.

StormyBrid Sun 25-Aug-13 10:52:53

Sounds most peculiar, eco. Maybe post somewhere here with high traffic and ask if anyone has any ideas? And with a bit of luck it'll turn out to just be an inexplicable phase, and over soon.

We had a strange night last night. I was out at the local beer festival with my dad and various disreputable characters I haven't seen since pre-baby days. 9.15pm the man rang saying something was up and I'd better come home. So I downed my pint and legged it back, thinking "shit, if she's ill, I can't even co-sleep with her and then have trouble getting her back in her cot like everyone else does because I've been drinking". Of all the stupid things to worry about! Anyway, she'd woken up screaming in pain, wouldn't settle, calmed down a bit when he picked her up and gave her a quiet cuddle, then started grimacing and screaming again. He could feel her stomach spasming. So when I got back she was full of calpol and they were sitting downstairs in the dark. She was making these involuntary and gutwrenching hiccuping cries, it was horrid. Went back to bed with no fuss at 10pm though, and then didn't wake until 4.15 for a feed. I think the main reason he got me to come home was he was a bit freaked out by the depth of his emotional reaction to his own baby in pain. I think he may actually feel like her dad now.

Any, SoYo, we're past 24 weeks now. Is it all about to go to hell? I really hope not, she's just learnt to squeal so could make things unpleasantly noisy if she's being a grump.

vjhist85 Sun 25-Aug-13 11:03:32

Eco, I would push, lots of drs now give a lot of credence to mothers instincts, you just need to find one!

Wors I am so jealous that you have lovely in laws. Mine are dreadful. We're with them at the moment. Thank god they live 180 miles away, because I don't think I can hold my tongue anymore. They are bigoted, stuffy, patronising wannabes who treat their 35yo son like he's still 9 (probably because that's how old he was when they sent him away to school). Thank god they did send him away though, it meant he had other influences in his life and has therefore turned out nothing like them. I'm currently hiding upstairs with dd napping in my arms so that I don't have to be there whilst they fret over today's garden party (it's just MIL's sister and her rabble coming round, you'd think it was the bloody queen!)

Yesterday's pearl of wisdom, whilst driving through a less than salubrious part of town "look at those Russians, drinking on the doorstep. Well at least I assume they're Russian, as that's the kind of things Russians do. They're all alcoholics don't you know..."

VJ Sounds like hell. Huge amounts of sympathy currently winging their way across the cyber sphere.

We're watching car racing here shoots self. The worselet is inconveniently napping so I can't even escape. I may stomp about a bit to wake her up so that we can do the bottle thing and go out.

Meant to add Stormy your DH has succumbed to the pull of parenthood. Proud moment grin

Plonkysaurus Sun 25-Aug-13 20:58:52

Eco I can only second what others have said. I would press on with seeing a paediatrician whilst hoping its a mere blip.

Worse I can't say I'm looking forward to the mid life crisis stage. Ill never forget coming home from school to find father bedecked in leathers, Honda bike on the drive. Dp keeps threatening to sell my car so he can get something small and sporty, but thankfully on our budget the silliest he could get is a mini moto.

The worselets grandma sounds lovely, very similar to my knitting obsessed mother (who also sports a large, comfy bosom). DS loooooves her.

Stormy aww he stepped up. Very proud. Though he sounds like a good supportive type, do you think he experienced the enormous rush of love? Also wonder what was going on with your Dd.

we've been having incredibly screamy sleep. Once he's off he's fine but getting him there can be a right kerfuffle. Fairly certain it's teeth.

LaLaLeni Sun 25-Aug-13 22:10:54

Agree with all the below Eco. Isn't it crazy that we have to make a fuss just to get the right diagnosis?!

I think I need to see a doctor soon too actually, I had a strange cold burning feeling in my face for the last month or so, and then a patch in the middle of my back that was weird and tingly (very noticeably so) and now it has spread the full length of my spine. I have pains and weakness/spasm in my fingers and legs and toes too. Hoping it's just a trapped nerve... confused

OH says he can't remember if he just turned off the monitor in the night when DS was crying in the night shock but he slept from midnight until 9am with one wake up at 5am, so OH is now set on CIO as a trial. I'm not so sure, but maybe it's just harder for me because I always wake for his cries?

somethingbeginningwith Sun 25-Aug-13 22:28:50

Hello all! I've been lurking for the past week, been far too tired to do anything other than collapse in bed after each day but I'm now back from Edinburgh. Apart from the odd cry every now and then and lots of wine it was pretty ok. Don't get me wrong, I missed DS like crazy but I was so busy that I didn't have too much time to get sad about it. And hearing OH on the FIRST day say "I already have much more sympathy and understanding for you" sort of helped. He did a wonderful job though, lots of regular photos and updates of daddy and son time, it melted my heart. And I've now come back to 4 more teeth and a very cuddly baby smile

I've tried to keep up with you all but there's been lots going on with you so I can't remember it all! Must try harder.

Anypants Sun 25-Aug-13 22:36:23

Well done something <waves and welcomes back with an offering of victoria sponge> I told you DS would be ever so happy to see you. I might go away from DD foe a bit as she's proper fed up with me at the mo and only smiles for everyone else envy

leni get thee to the doctor forthwith. At the rate they seem to get round to fixing people round here, you'll be lucky to get a proper diagnosis before Christmas confused

WingDefence Mon 26-Aug-13 08:59:33

Lots to catch up on!

eco, I agree with the others that pushing for a referral seems like a good idea. And I'd probably get another thermometer too just in case, but that's just me!

leni yes do get yourself to the GP and get checked out. Tingly sounds odd!

something, so glad your trip was successful and OH coped admirably smile

plonky is your DS a screechy baby? DD has just started making the screechiest noises. I thought at first she was in pain/unhappy but we think now it's just her learning that she can make those noises IYKWIM. confused

any, is the wonder weeks thing from a book? I have got What To Expect... the First Year but haven't looked at it for a few months and I'm just going with the flow. Is each week a Wonder Week or just weeks when there can be a problem eg a growth spurt or something?

vj, your PILs sound like they could have their own AIBU thread! Hope your trip is nearly over...?

Stormy, such a shame you had to leave the beer festival early sad grin

worse how did your DH take the discussion about the car?

Hi to everyone else!

Plonkysaurus Mon 26-Aug-13 09:22:12

Wing he learnt how to screech about eight weeks ago. I think you're right, he's just learnt he can make that noise so he will make it. Often. Can't wait to fly with him next week!

StormyBrid Mon 26-Aug-13 09:37:01

Wing Wonder Weeks is indeed a book. Basic premise, all babies go through leaps in mental development at about the same age, and each leap is preceded by a fussier period. 26 weeks is a wonder week (at which point they figure out distance, realise we can walk away and they can't follow, and freak out about it.

Didn't miss too much beer, as I got started at 3pm. grin

Squeals aplenty here too. We figure she's just entertaining herself with new sounds.

WingDefence Mon 26-Aug-13 09:46:13

Thanks for the explanation - mentioning WTE... 1st years de me pick it up and have a look again and DD seems spot on with things. Will need to look up how to get her sleepin through again although the last two nights have been 10:30-11 ish till 4:30 ish and then a quick feed before waking up again an hour or two later. So she's getting there back to when she was sleeping through... Slowly!

plonky where are you going away to?

WingDefence Mon 26-Aug-13 13:19:30

*did make me

christilass Mon 26-Aug-13 15:59:59

Mini Farmer was 6 months old yesterday ! ..... It Has flown by !!
He has been weaning for approx 6 weeks now , safe to to say he loves his food :-) no waste with this little boy
He puts the spoon in himself and clears it .

Mini Farmer is still great at sleeping thank god says i .
his sleep pattern is. goes to sleep 6.45-7.00pm and wakes next morning 10.00 am -11.00 am usually nearer 11.00am. Wakes once or twice for milk during this time and straight back to sleep .
he definitely takes after me as i love my sleep !

this last 6 months have been an utter joy i feel so blessed ,
i have found it all very easy ..... so far .... but I'm told the 1st year is the easiest as at leadt they stay were you put them give or take a few feet !!
I'm sure once mini farmer is on his feet so to speak it will all be much harder !!!
At market just now while mini farmers daddy loads up the new cows :-)
We are very busy on the farms just now finishing off harvest etc , so we can go to Scotland .
I hope everyone is well and babie all thriving .
..we are all doing a fantastic job ... keep that in mind

Heading up to Scotland on thursday to see my parents , my brother andmy friends .. can't wait :-) :-)
much love Christi x

christilass Mon 26-Aug-13 16:25:51

Mini Farmer was 6 months old yesterday ! ..... It Has flown by !!
He has been weaning for approx 6 weeks now , safe to to say he loves his food :-) no waste with this little boy
He puts the spoon in himself and clears it .

Mini Farmer is still great at sleeping thank god says i .
his sleep pattern is. goes to sleep 6.45-7.00pm and wakes next morning 10.00 am -11.00 am usually nearer 11.00am. Wakes once or twice for milk during this time and straight back to sleep .
he definitely takes after me as i love my sleep !

this last 6 months have been an utter joy i feel so blessed ,
i have found it all very easy ..... so far .... but I'm told the 1st year is the easiest as at leadt they stay were you put them give or take a few feet !!
I'm sure once mini farmer is on his feet so to speak it will all be much harder !!!
At market just now while mini farmers daddy loads up the new cows :-)
We are very busy on the farms just now finishing off harvest etc , so we can go to Scotland .
I hope everyone is well and babie all thriving .
..we are all doing a fantastic job ... keep that in mind

Heading up to Scotland on thursday to see my parents , my brother andmy friends .. can't wait :-) :-)
much love Christi x

ecofreckle Mon 26-Aug-13 23:01:58

Hello everyone. I had been waiting until I had something unbeat to post but that may be some time coming so just ducking in to say hi.
Quiet today on here so expect you all been milking the sunny bank holiday.
Something I was so pleased your trip was a success all round. You were brave and it all worked out. Good result.
WOrse you MIL sounds delicious. You do sound like you've got a lovely, slightly potty on occasion, set up! Sorry vj that yours are less than ideal. You back home now? Deed done for another while hopefully. I was in your neck of woods today enjoying cranbrook, goudhurst and scotney. Flying visit, but next time a coffee and pork pie might be nice.
Leni your numbness sounds like it's worth checking out. Have you registered with new practice now?
Wing sounds like you making good sleep progress again. Was chatting to a mum of a blw fledgling today and it sounds so chilled and reaps great rewards. Must actually start it soon this end.
Hello Plonky. Thanks to you and everyone else for encouragement. WIll get my MN face on with next doctors.
Mini farmer sounds like a bloody dream. He sure likes his sleep. I suspect the rest of us read your post goggle eyed!
Night all. With any luck I'll have some mojo back tomorrow.
X
I like to think our thread is beyond normal MN rules, hence my over familiar kiss!

LaLaLeni Mon 26-Aug-13 23:06:41

Wing sane here, which makes sense, waking up loads between 4am and 7am...

Went to a BBQ today, DS had had a weird day anyway, a 3 hr nap (unheard of) and then just completely melted down so we had to leave!

vjhist85 Mon 26-Aug-13 23:47:41

We are indeed now home. Wors, you're right, they could probably have their own AIBU forum. Amongst others, we could have:

AIBU to think my PILs are being racist when they say things like 'anyway, Asians, funny bunch aren't they'

AIBU to not think it counts as 'taking over the whole house' when I boil the kettle to make my baby daughter a bottle?

AIBU to think a one minute episode of crying in a whole weekend does NOT mean my daughter 'has a temper on her'

AIBU to be quite cross at the implication that my daughter is an easy baby because she's thick? (Well difficult babies are the bright ones...aren't you lucky that she's easy?)

AIBU to think that my midlands born PILs sound utterly ridiculous when they try to be all posh by pronouncing off 'orf' and plastic 'plarrrrstic'

AIBU that I found it hilarious to keep topping up MILs wine glass with strong pudding wine in the hope that she would pass out at 8pm? (Success btw)

Plonkysaurus Tue 27-Aug-13 08:28:04

vj I think you deserve a medal for putting up with that behaviour. Are they from northants? Dp's grandparents are, and despite being lifelong midlanders they say 'gorn' and 'orf', and 'bunfar' instead of bonfire. I'm all out of medals but have some wine.

eco ayup duck, any more low temp scares from dd? I think you might need wine too. I really do think its worth taking this further, if only from peace of mind. I can't help but recall a close from who kept getting fobbed off with ins and coeliacs yet was actually suffering life threatening crohns. And our dear worse too. I know the nhs is stretched, so you just have to be forceful. Reading that back it sounds very alarmist, but I think you know what I mean. I think kisses are allowed on here too, MWAH.

Wing the generous PILs are putting us up for a week in their villa in Madeira for a week. Lovely of them but I've never been in their company for more than 48 hours. I'm sure it'll be great, I could do with a holiday!

We had a crap night. DS woke every hour and ended up in our bed from about 3. Administering calpol at that time isn't easy, ice no idea how much made it down his throat but he had a very sticky face this morning. He's knackered now bless him and getting ready to go back to bed. Bloody teeth!

Something very pleased it was good. And four more teeth? Eek! Hope your house move goes without a hitch.

WingDefence Tue 27-Aug-13 08:52:21

YANBU
YANBU
YANBU
YANBU
YANBU
YADNBU grin

WingDefence Tue 27-Aug-13 09:03:17

Oh eco, do keep lurking and let us know when you get somewhere with the Dr. Dd slept till 5am this morning so I think she's hopefully back on the right track probably jinxing things How was your night leni?

I really can't remember what we did with feeding solids and reducing milk input with DS so I feel very confused even though I've done it all before. I used purées and also the fantastic Ella's pouches too and I'm not sure I can cope with the potential mess of fully BLW although DD will definitely be given bits of our food once she's got past first tastes. I need to do some reading...

plonky having rellies with a holiday villa is a great thing envy

StormyBrid Tue 27-Aug-13 09:42:47

Wing just remember, the important thing is that they end up weaned. How you get there's not hugely important in the scheme of things.

I really should post from the computer. Can't remember enough to namecheck properly.

eco don't go disappearing on us entirely, will you?

vj awesome work not losing your cool with the in laws. I hope I can always do as well with FIL, whose racism I'm told is Arab-oriented - he's been on his best behaviour on the two occasions we've met, but two of my cousin's are half Lebanese so I'm unlikely to keep my mouth shut if he does say anything untoward.

We're having a bit of a grumpy squealy day so far. Wonder week? Teeth? Who knows. At least the man's here, which makes things a lot easier.

SoYo Tue 27-Aug-13 10:52:56

Oh Eco, how about seeing a different GP to ask about it & push for a referral if you're not happy with what they say?

VJ well done for surviving that horror! Hopefully you won't have to see them for a while!

Christi it sounds like things are great on the farm, glad you're doing so well.

Afternoon all. Boy it's hot here. I'm sick of hot. Am I allowed to say that? After the torrential downpours of the weekend I was vaguely hopeful we'd be due a cooler phase, but no. So I'm inside, sulking, and waiting for a cloud to appear.

Eco Scotney you say! We were there yesterday too.... along with every other baby and baby bump in the south east (or so it seemed). Just think, we might have been within spitting distance. Not that I spit. Obviously. It was fun though, in a wandering about a national trust place, yet again, type way, and we found ourselves some extra amusement courtesy of a few fleas. The worselet was a bit bored so I thought she might benefit from a kick about on a mat, so I put one down in a seemingly idyllic spot under a tree. Within a second said mat was absolutely hopping with fleas. We went home immediately shortly afterwards.

plonky a dad in leathers you say. Now that's embarrassing. Mine drove a maxi, which was fairly bad, but leathers..... you win!!! madeira sounds great. How'd they feel about internet randoms turning up?

Something how many teeth confused <inspects the worselet's toothless mouth> Impressive stuff. Are you still bf-ing? (I forget who is and who isn't). I hope for your sake you're not.

Wing the car discussion went a bit like this:
Me The worslet's not going in the stupid car <the look>
Mr worse Why not?
Me because....
Mr worse oh, ok then <trundles off about his business>

confused

Honestly, he used to be such a difficult b*st*rd. I'm assuming his work must have the difficult side now, god help them grin

Leni Tingly? Sounds very weird. I'd get that checked out sooner rather than later if I were you. Have you had it before? Tingly can be a migraine thing, but if it's continual, that's sounds more serious. Hope it's nothing to worry about.

Christi Good grief - baby-farmer sounds most obliging! I thought the worselet was a good little sleeper, but no, in comparison she's a right little party animal. Good luck with the harvest, and enjoy your trip back up North.

Only news here, the tiddler ate some food! Proper ate, not just smeared around the place. It was savoury - chickeny mush, rather than fruit mush and I'm wondering if that's what made the difference. Fruit is quite sharp, which is a big contrast to milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now