Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Proper threenagers now!!

(409 Posts)

Come on in, Chicas!

Dive into the bubbly and home-baking and take advantage of our deluxe creche....

stoofadoof Mon 27-Jan-14 07:10:14

grin

JewelFairies Wed 29-Jan-14 17:46:12

Just did what would get me lynched in aibu... Left dd1 alone on the sofa watching iplayer, with dozing feverish dd2 and dashed to the corner shop for a loaf of bread. When I told dd1 what I was about to do she responded 'Cool!'.

I was gone less than ten minutes and curiously the house had not burned down, no one had broken in or lured them away, and I managed not to get run over by a car. It's the first time I've done this and probably wouldn't have had dd2 not been poorly.

But generally I think the UK is oddly hysterical about supervising children at all times. I walked myself to Kindergarten from the age of 5, across one main and several side roads. Admittedly that was in the mists of time but even now it's normal for 6 year olds to walk to school and back on their own. Dd1 finds this fascinating an is cross that schools won't allow pupils to come and go on their own until at least year 6, preferably secondary.

JewelFairies Fri 31-Jan-14 19:01:06

We've got a bike for dd2's birthday but it is beginning to look like a silly idea. Maybe we should have bought a dinghy instead... wink

rainbowweaver Sat 01-Feb-14 00:22:12

DH also did pop out for a couple of mins to the neighbours the other say. DD wasn't pleased though, and made sure to tell me about it. Mind you, he's also from Germany so more used to that. I'm used to constant supervision until at least 16 smile

Snap on the bike! Though she's only managed to go out once in it.

JewelFairies Sun 02-Feb-14 20:56:18

dd2 went to sleep super quick tonight, in the knowledge that when she wakes up tomorrow she is going to be much more grown up grin. Technically, she's not four until quite late tomorrow night but I won't let her wait for her presents that long wink.

SconesForTea Mon 03-Feb-14 19:24:18

With the bikes, will you use stabilisers? DD1 has a balance bike and we're hoping to transition to a pedal bike without them.

A couple of drier days this weekend made all the difference. So lovely going for a good old walk without getting soaked and then we forced the girls to walk to our local in a mini downpour which they did not appreciate

I think things chez Scones are settling down. DD1's behaviour seems much improved and I'm certainly finding her much easier to handle. Motherhood is even enjoyable, at times! <shoos away MN jinx>

DD2

SconesForTea Mon 03-Feb-14 19:27:03

is still nowhere near settled in her bed, and spends most nights in the travel cot (with a mattress) in the spare room. She has slept in her bed once hmm I'x have just put her back into her cot for a while but DH sold it.

SconesForTea Mon 03-Feb-14 19:39:02

With the bikes, will you use stabilisers? DD1 has a balance bike and we're hoping to transition to a pedal bike without them.

A couple of drier days this weekend made all the difference. So lovely going for a good old walk without getting soaked and then we forced the girls to walk to our local in a mini downpour which they did not appreciate

I think things chez Scones are settling down. DD1's behaviour seems much improved and I'm certainly finding her much easier to handle. Motherhood is even enjoyable, at times! <shoos away MN jinx>

DD2

SconesForTea Mon 03-Feb-14 19:39:21

Whoops

SconesForTea Mon 03-Feb-14 20:26:10

Do any of you have a sickly child? It seems DD2 is never well. She has yet another cold and cough, hot on the heels of the last one, the sickness bug, and whatever she had the week before that. She runs a very high temperature at the drop of a hat. We give them a daily vitamin; anything else we could do?

JewelFairies Mon 03-Feb-14 21:02:41

Dd2 is not the most balanced child at the best of times grin so she has stabilisers on her new bike. Dd1 had stabilisers for a day but they fitted really badly (bought separately for a second hand bike) and she was so desperate to cycle that she learnt to ride without in half an hour on the road outside my parents' house. I'm hoping dd2 will do the same in August so we can go for cycle rides on holiday. Until then she can practice here. (We do have a balance bike as well but dd2 has been too small for it and the weather too poor for a wooden bike...)

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Mon 03-Feb-14 21:25:36

Scones DD1 was like this, she is much better now! got better around 6.5 yo, mostly throats though no sickness bugs. at 4 she was doing around 2/3 weeks in 1/2 weeks out, awful, good job I wasn't working (you needed doc approval to go back into school too in Romania!)

rainbowweaver Tue 04-Feb-14 03:17:01

Stabilisers here too. At the start of a diabolical spd, I'm sure of it. Can feel my hips going.

JewelFairies Wed 05-Feb-14 14:20:16

Oh no rainbow, hope it settles.

SconesForTea Fri 07-Feb-14 19:00:29

Oh no Rainbow! Already? How far along are you now? And you had it last time too?

Mous that is what DD2 does, she is ill 3 weeks out of 4 no exaggeration. DH and Iconsider ourselves quite sturdy stock and wonder how on earth we've begotten this sickly child.

We have water coming in through our bedroom windows and through the front door. Can't work out how though. No way can we replace all the windows, damn ugly things that they are.

SconesForTea Fri 07-Feb-14 19:01:56

Where are you going in August JF?
We are going to York for a week at the start of July. I fully expect it to bucket down for the whole week.

SconesForTea Fri 07-Feb-14 19:03:50

DD2 still not sleeping in her bed aaargh! Feeling quite shattered after a fortnight of multiple wake ups. Should have realised we were doing ok on only one a night hmm

rainbowweaver Sun 16-Feb-14 06:50:37

Hope the sleep and DD2 health has improved scones! On a positive note, some friends of ours who had sickly LOs while they were young have found that once they were school age they were completely immune to nearly everything, having caught it earlier....
Yep SPD getting worse. Now some pain when turning over in bed, had it last time as well but it didn't start till month 7 or 8. Mind you last time, month 5 was when I probably overdid the yoga and started it off. Feeling somewhat sanguine about it, will probably book a gp appointment this week for physio referral. Expecting sometime around month 7 to have to wear a pelvic girdle of some sort!
Had a sunny afternoon today, and took the chance to take DD out for her 2nd cycling expedition around the block. She's taking to it like a duck to water, they're really growing up fast....

SconesForTea Tue 25-Feb-14 19:28:04

Good to hear from you rainbow. Yes, they are growing up SO fast. Since her birthday DD1 has been pooing on the potty with no protest. I know it should be the toilet, but after her point blank refusal until she was four, we're happy (and incredibly relieved) with potty poos for now. I was starting to worry if ahe'd be a schoolgirl in nappies not really only a little bit

Now for the dummy... Actually the dummy doesn't bother me at all, she only has it in bed and in the car, but I know that's our next battle.

stoofadoof Mon 03-Mar-14 22:25:11

<wave>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 06-Mar-14 20:04:35

you fell out of my list just checking in!

stoofadoof Thu 13-Mar-14 22:22:54

<wave>

rainbowweaver Sun 16-Mar-14 00:43:28

<waves back> had a lovely day at the beach today. Somewhat chilly in the wind but very sunny.

stoofadoof Tue 01-Apr-14 21:42:15

Are we finally going to wave goodbye to our MN thread?

ClimbingPenguin Thu 03-Apr-14 18:38:55

quite possible which is a shame as actually we talk more properly on here than on fb.

although I find myself with more time to MN now instead of fbing on an ad hoc basis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now