Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 - Trying to keep our (babies) cool in the summer!

(811 Posts)
Trishstar Mon 08-Jul-13 11:36:21

Thought I'd start a new thread as AmberLav noticed we were appoaching 1000!

FaceBook

Stats Thread

Previous Thread

KeepTheFaithBaby Wed 21-Aug-13 14:54:26

I'm aiming to do blw at 6 months. She was such a tiny thing to start with (5lb 4oz) and seems happy enough BF with one bottle of formula top up in the evenings for now, I don't want to rush the introduction of food. Quite a few of the girls on FB have started weaning already.

num3onway Wed 21-Aug-13 17:50:55

My eldest two started weaning at 17 weeks but they were both very hungry babies downing 9oz of hungry milk every two hours! They both took to solids well and were weaned mainly on purees.

Dd is 20 weeks and takes 7 or 8 oz infant formula every 3 hours

I am returning to work in a few weeks though and want to get her started before hand plus I've read abit about 6 months being to late for some babies and them struggling to accept different textures

I say what ever suits you and your baby! They are all different after all

I will be starting with baby rice although older dc would never take to this they preferred baby porridge so ill use that if she is like them and then move on to giving my own fruit and veg purees

I don't really like using a lot of jars

Once she is 6 months ill offer finger foods, cooked soft veg etc

AmberLav Thu 22-Aug-13 02:37:39

I would sugest not being in too much of a rush to start solids. It seems exciting, but it is only once you start that you discover it is just a succession of stresses about making sure it is varied and healthy...

I waited to 24 weeks with DS, and I found that by then his swallow was great, so I could pretty much skip purees and jump straight to mashes and a form of blw. I know they are talking obout some babies having problems with textures if left till 6 month but my nct group experience was exactly the opposite...

num3onway Thu 22-Aug-13 08:52:44

Asda baby event online today ladies!

Placed my order already, seems to only be through Asda direct not normal Asda site

6 packs johnsons wipes £3!

catherine19 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:30:46

I'm off to look at asda then ta x

catherine19 Thu 22-Aug-13 09:31:08

Tesco also hav a baby event at the mo x

num3onway Thu 22-Aug-13 11:56:24

Anyone noticed price of aptimil cartons has shot up?

Last wk they were 55p in tesco, now 79p

catherine19 Thu 22-Aug-13 15:13:26

Rubbish they' generally 69 in most places still that in morrisons. On the subject of being frugal, it's well worth signing up t the hipp mailing list I got sent some baby rice, a weaning spoon and vouchers for money off and a free jar. I'm not planning on using many jars but it will b handy for emergencies (when I can't b bothered to cook and going out)

num3onway Thu 22-Aug-13 16:52:47

I've signed up for all the baby clubs only got stuff from cow n gate so far (small cow and some vouchers)

I hope the aptamil cartons aren't gonna go up to 79p everywhere as I plan on using them for nursery!

catherine19 Thu 22-Aug-13 17:40:28

That's rubbish that its gone up not re talking rubbish just realised how that cud b read! Still 69 in asda but powder is 9.99 x

num3onway Thu 22-Aug-13 18:45:06

Lol Catherine I knew what you meant!

Powder was previously about 9.50 I think so that's quite a rise

I might try n stock up on cartons from Asda while they 69p

Anyone know how far the expiration dates are?

catherine19 Thu 22-Aug-13 21:41:01

I'm really gon to show how sad I am powder was 9.49 in morrisons the other day and cartons 69 a box of powder generally lasts us 6ish days so 50p a week is quite a diff. Think we'll switch to a cheaper follow on milk though only kept to aptamil to help the guilt of not bf! Think that is why I'm se keen to wean so I can put that behind me, I wud hav been happy to wean at 8wk when I stopped expressing tbh if it wasn't harmful to him!

num3onway Thu 22-Aug-13 22:23:04

Catherine you shouldn't feel guilty for not having bf your baby! You have to make the choice that Are best for you and your family. I know breast milk is best but these days the formulas are so advanced and well developed.
I have two older dc who were ff from day one and they are happy healthy and bright!

AmberLav Fri 23-Aug-13 03:23:27

Cstherine - stop feeling guilty over ffing! The only 100% ff baby in our nct group was the first to be toilet trained, and has the best language skills, so being ff hasn't held her back!

On follow on milk, generally the over and under 6 month stuff is pretty much exactly the same, it's just that they are allowed to promote the over 6 month stuff. So no need to move on if you dont want to.

num3onway Fri 23-Aug-13 09:37:26

So quiet on here

Dd (20 weeks) has just rolled from back to front to back to front to back to front

This is the first time she's managed to get back off her front she usually gets stuck and shouts! I am impressed!

AmberLav Sat 24-Aug-13 03:22:17

E managed back to front for the first time yesterday, but now she seems to be keeping her arm in place for a quick reversal! She's 17 weeks... I love this stage, when they are starting to discover movement, and "how the h did that happen"!

I still think it's a shame that mn is so quiet, but I suppose part of that is the holidays... this is a much looser format, but I suppose people like the protection of the closed group on fb- we've had our first"next pregnancy" announcement over there already, but only once the mum knew no one else could find out from outside the group. I apologise that I can't name who, but hopefully once all is known to be well, she'll wander back here...

AmberLav Sat 24-Aug-13 03:22:43

E managed back to front for the first time yesterday, but now she seems to be keeping her arm in place for a quick reversal! She's 17 weeks... I love this stage, when they are starting to discover movement, and "how the h did that happen"!

I still think it's a shame that mn is so quiet, but I suppose part of that is the holidays... this is a much looser format, but I suppose people like the protection of the closed group on fb- we've had our first"next pregnancy" announcement over there already, but only once the mum knew no one else could find out from outside the group. I apologise that I can't name who, but hopefully once all is known to be well, she'll wander back here...

num3onway Sat 24-Aug-13 08:43:10

Oh wow I did wonder how long it would be! That is quick though her april baby must be 5 months max!

No more for me

Boo

Oh and aptamil cartons now up to 79p in Asda toot looks like that will be the price everywhere

KeepTheFaithBaby Sat 24-Aug-13 08:59:51

Her baby was quite early IIRC (just checked, it was end of March) and she's due 26th April.

Hooray we had first sleeping through again after several disturbed nights! She could do with a nap though and I can hear her gurgling away to DH! smile

Anyone got fun plans for the b/h?

num3onway Sat 24-Aug-13 09:09:41

Ooo I'm so intrigued!

Anyone with older dc. How many nights of trying bed without pull-up before thinking child isn't ready? Ds2 is 4.3 and on third night no pull up at his own request but every night so far has been wet

Anyone else ttc? Or thinking of? That's anyone apart from the lady who exceeded not apart from me lol as I am not allowed

num3onway Sat 24-Aug-13 11:35:33

Haha I noseyed on the old stats thread so now have a rough idea who it could be

Iamsad

AmberLav Sun 25-Aug-13 03:48:40

My little boy is coming up to 2 and a half, and we are nowhere near even starting in the day, let alone night yet! But I saw my friend yesterday, and her oldest turned 5 in July and still has nappies at night. They recently tried to stop them, and every night was wet, so two nights ago reverted, and of course that night was completely dry!

But it was so sweet, apparently recently he told his best friend his deepest secret that he still wore nappies at night, and his friend told him his deepest secret, that he plays Barbies with his big sister!

I'd love a third, but not until the current ones are 4.5 and 2.5, so no plans to start ttcing anytime soon! I think 3 is anice time to stop. How have you found 3? Much of a difference from 2?

num3onway Sun 25-Aug-13 07:38:15

My eldest is 5.7 and has been pull up less at night for two month, in that time he's had about five accidents so not bad. I think I will put ds2 back in a pull up though.
I didn't attempt day time training until either of them were over three, ds2 has only stopped having accidents in past few months.

I didn't find going from two to three bad at all! I do find it different though. When I had ds2 I had a 16 month old and so neither of them got the time I now get to give dd. them being older is good because they aren't that interested in playing with me as they have each other. Because they are close in age they share interests and most of the time ds2 is able to play what ds1 wants where if the gap was bigger he might not understand. Having a fourth would be totally impractical we don't have the space at all and three keep me busy enough! But I am only mid twenties so I just tell myself if I wanted I could prob have more when elder two move out lol. They will both be 18 before I am even 40 and I know many women are now having babies into mid 40s
Of course by then I may have completely changed my mind and want to live the life I gave up at 19!
Wow this has turned into a long post lol

Dd had her first try of baby rice yesterday at almost 21 weeks. She seemed to love it. She opened her mouth for the spoon near enough straight away and didnt spit much out at all. I am trying to work out which feed it is best to give solids first. Torn between dinner and tea!

Anyone else tried solids yet?

KeepTheFaithBaby Sun 25-Aug-13 09:29:20

Morning all. I'm a bit tired after a 3.30am 'feed me' wake up call! We went out for dinner last night which was lovely. First evening out since Faithlet was born. Felt like we'd lost something though!

Argh the sleep refusal continues. Fed her on she dozed off on me but only for 5 minutes. Now wide awake despite being in the swinging chair! DH is still in bed with a migraine. I was hoping for a nice family day out today but I guess that scuppered sad

Re night time dryness, obviously don't have an older DC by with my nephew they always put him on the loo before they go to bed. He went without night time pull ups when he'd had a week of being dry and now rarely wets the bed (he was about 3.6 years when he stopped wearing the pull ups).

num3onway Sun 25-Aug-13 09:32:58

Hmm I took ds 2 at 12.30 the other night and he still wet the bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now