Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

DECEMBER 2012: The start of crawling and the end of maternity leave

(1000 Posts)
halestone Thu 27-Jun-13 20:32:04

New thread

FriendofDorothy Fri 28-Jun-13 23:02:22

I spoon feed The Little Mister some foods - mainly organic pouches cos I am a lazy cow and then I offer him finger food whenever I can.

He seems to be doing ok although he eats more some days than others. Don't stress about it, just see how you go.

ISpyPlumPie Fri 28-Jun-13 23:13:11

Marking my place on the new thread, after pretty much falling off the old one completely - will try to get to the laptop on a daily basis this time!

Beasty - hope your DD has a lovely party. I agree that it is so rude/frustrating for people not to respond. I always try to accept all the invites DS1 gets, and if we really can't make it for whatever reason I let the parents know straight away. We've only done family parties so far, but am thinking about taking the plunge and doing something a bit more for his 4th in November.

WL - shit news about the pipes. Really hope you manage to get something sorted. Good luck with the job application, and to you too Spotty.

Mama - totally normal way to feel I reckon, and standard issue to feel (completely unnecessary) guilt about it too. Be kind to yourself.

Stacks - I've gone about weaning in a completely ad hoc way this time. Seems to be 'working' whatever that means, but in reality they'll probably all go through stages of eating loads/wanting to try new things and stages of refusing food and seemingly surviving off thin air. They will all get there in the end. It doesn't help though when HVs give such confused advice either though. Sorry I don't have any experience with allergies but would second the suggestion to check out the allergies board.

Hales - hope H and your dad are ok.

We're doing ok. Had a home visit from DS1's new pre-school today. Was quite apprehensive about it, but they were lovely and really showed an interest in him (even when he started relaying the plot details of Mr Men books to them grin) I feel quite excited about him starting there in September now.

N's latest trick is pulling himself up on the sofa and trying to shuffle along. I feel cruising may be imminent.....

halestone Fri 28-Jun-13 23:52:26

When will my baby return? Shes so whingy and clingy. And her sleep is crap again. I'm really considering taking her out in the pram to calm her but don't want her getting use to ithmm

Mama i hope your ok. I think your feelings are completely natural. if not i'm screwed because i feel the same sometimes

Stacks i have taken an ad hoc approach to weaning as well sometimes i'm lucky and H wants to try it sometimes she doesn't. She doesn't have a set pattern to eating though.

Ispy wow, N is doing really well grin

Willyou and WL hope your DP's are home now. And that their working patterns settle down soon.

Fucking teeth, J's bright red screaming the house down and crying his eyes out. Calpol and anbesol administered waiting for them to kick in.

Hope H settles soon Hales, silly babies keep changing the rules don't they? grin

halestone Sat 29-Jun-13 01:06:52

Yep Willyou always changing them. You think you've cracked and BAM they change them again hmm hope J's teeth stop hurting him soon. Still no sleep here despite me knowing shes exhausted. Shes currently slapping my boobs as hard as she can (and tbf its quite hard considering shes only just coming upto 7 months) so that she can keep herself awake for longerhmm

I'm up feeding ds because I now have a blocked duct each side but he's not hungry enough to clear them still. Why do I keep fucking getting them? There's nothing wrong with his latch angrysad

MaMaPo Sat 29-Jun-13 05:30:07

Wow, very sorry to hear of blocked ducts and unhappy babies. Spotty, you do seem to have the most awful luck with ducts. Could any lactation consultants shed light on why?

First feed here since 10.30pm, astonishing. Crossing everything we're not up for the day, she gets so beside herself with tiredness. Just another 90 mins, little C!

We only have private ones round here and I can't afford it. People at the bf group are nice enough but no more knowledgeable than us on here!

utopian99 Sat 29-Jun-13 07:00:11

Just marking place on the new Fred until I go back and catch up.

Holiday was great, wedding fabulous, and O coped so well with the heat wave shock they were having when we arrived! He went swimming with us twice a day to keep cool, which helped, and was lovely for dh to share with. Turns out he'll kick like a champion if there's something he wants like the Spider-Man ball we found, or dh...

Also lots more food going in, though less than many of you. Seems melon, bread and cooked peppers are winners. Doesn't seem like it was only 6 months ago that he joined us though!

Off to read up and reply properly now...

WLmum Sat 29-Jun-13 07:15:44

stacks I thought that's how blw was supposed to be - offer a variety of things and let them eat/not eat whatever they like. I decided it wasn't for us so am pureeing which is going well.
spotty your poor boobs! Would it help to make him wait a bit longer between feeds so sucks harder and longer? Or would that make it worse? Sorry.
ispy looks like you're going to have an early walker!

Utopian glad you had a good time very envy

Stacks agree with WL

Tbh he's not that interested in boob at the moment I don't think. He goes 4 hours in the day sometimes!

I've started a thread in the feeding section anyway...

utopian99 Sat 29-Jun-13 07:25:50

Wl so sorry to hear about pipes, fx they do find a problem..

Spotty ditto sorry about ducts, hope they clear soon

Stacks we're blw but recently I've been wondering about slightly mashing stuff but then letting him guide my hand with the spoon. He has a little plastic one he likes waving about but his ability to suck off it/coordinate is still a way off. He has two bottom teeth now, one more through than the other, so does a good job biting bits off things but swallowing is also a hit and miss affair. Trouble is he nipped me the other day so VERY keen to accelerate weaning.

Pick great advancements going on! Can't believe ds is 7.5 months, they're growing up so fast...

Dh has taken him for a play as he's been wide awake since 6.30 so I'm off back to bed.

IsThatTrue Sat 29-Jun-13 08:07:21

We are swallowing toast this morning grin

Sorry to hear of more blocked ducts spotty it doesn't sound good.

We had an alright night sleep as ds2 was up with DH from 10-12 as I was out, he was awake and happy so not too bad tbh. I fed him then and he slept until 6. that'll be the 3 glasses of wine for you

PurplePidjin Sat 29-Jun-13 08:17:18

Mama, i want my personal space back. I long to be able to move freely, drinking eating and using the loo on my own schedule. It is somewhat like being in prison, but we get smiles and giggles!

WRT weaning, i gave R some sweet potato from our dinner to try and he swiftly realised that food = full tummy! No way was i blw this one! He's getting the hang of finger food now, but i always planned to do a mix. After all, he needs to know what to do with cutlery as well as how to stuff food in his gob!

Morning all. i want to go back to bed, i want an unbroken nights sleep, not had one for about 11 months what with the pregnancy weeing. I'm being greedy as we had 2 3.5h stretches last night, but now he'll go 10 hours without milk in the day then eat all night. Sob.

Stacks Sat 29-Jun-13 08:34:59

Well t obviously swallowed some stuff last night as evidenced by the lumps in his nappy this morning hmm. I guess what confuses me about BLW is if you're meant to start with the 'one veg at a time for x days' or just give them all sorts from the first day. My worry is getting him to like foods, and knowing he likes them. How many times are they meant to try something before they can decide if they like it?

I cooked loads of sweet potato last night, so I've kept some sticks, lumps and mash in the fridge. Going to give them again tonight and maybe tomorrow too. We're getting a freezer delivered today so I can start freezing little meals for T (and us). smile

Does anyone have the BLW cookbook? And/or the river cottage one? Are they worth it?

Spotty could your bra be causing the blocked ducts? Pressure in the wrong places? Are you getting blockages after wearing a particular bra/style? Just an idea, trying to think outside the feeding/latch box.

I get a bath this morning, on my own grin going to go enjoy it now.

PurplePidjin Sat 29-Jun-13 08:45:29

My situation was compounded by R being ready before 6 months. Afaik, it's one at a time before 6, all in after!

I read they have to try something a ridiculous amount of times before deciding if they like it or not.

Def not bra, one of the blocks is right at the top where my bra doesn't even cover.

I'm making double chocolate chip cookies. They have four and a half bars of chocolate in them shock

Stacks Sat 29-Jun-13 10:19:07

T is asleep. In his cot. In the daytime. grin I forgot to give him his medicine this morning though bad mummy.

Didn't have a great night last night, though on the bright side he did sleep in his cot from 8-11 with 3 resettles.

halestone Sat 29-Jun-13 10:35:27

Spotty have you looked on Kellymom they had loads of bf advice when i looked. I hope your duct clears soon.

Willyou i hope you get an unbroken night of sleep soon. Could it be worth asking someone to have him overnight soon. I know that might be a rubbish suggestion if your not ready for that yet. My mum use to come and stay over till i was comfortable enough to let H stay with her. Which was silly really as she raised me and my 2 sisters with no problems.

Utopian glad you all had a lovely holiday together.

FoD hows your 1st week back at work been?

Beasty i hope your DD has a lovely birthday party today and that A enjoys seeing all the other children playinggrin

Isthat hope you had a nice night last night and that your not to fragile today grin

halestone Sat 29-Jun-13 10:40:45

I forgot to say Stacks if H tries something she doesn't like or refuses to try i give her it again a week later. The finger foods she seems to prefer are the types that are easily mashable in her mouth. So melon, peach, aspargus (boiled well) although she does much on toast. As she has a few teeth carrots are also a big hit. She also adores Peas and could eat just them as a meal ha. She likes peas mash and gravy. Also couscousgrin

Yep looked there and lll. It seems to be aimed more at people with younger babies though 'stay in bed and nurse frequently' yeah, right!

Barbeasty Sat 29-Jun-13 12:13:44

Both books are good. BLW has a fair bit of the theory.

RC one has some lovely recepies and suggestions on how to make dishes age appropriate.

It's my 30th next Saturday Hales so j is being shipped to my mum and dads and DP and I are off out to get pissed smile

I asked dp if he would settle ds tonight when he wakes (unless he's hungry of course) and he said yes grin well actually he ignored me and when I asked again huffed a bit and said 'well you know I will won't I?' hmm Oh well I will take what I can get!

This thread is not accepting new messages.