Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Still brooking no argument for sleep, glorious sleep!

(505 Posts)
Stacks Tue 18-Jun-13 19:45:11

This will be the thread where all brooking babies learn to self settle and sleep through the night (the real version, not that 5hr at a time thing).

ScrambledSmegs Netherlands Sat 22-Jun-13 20:17:22

Yay, a new thread!

little so glad J 'just' has a virus. Must have been scary though.

Sorry, on phone so terrible catch up from me. Am envy at the little ones rolling. E2 still hasn't rolled independently, although she's been sitting for a month now. I'm not worried, I guess it's just not her thing. She is ridiculously chubby, maybe she finds it difficult? Who knows.

Anyway, summary - sunny personality, healthy (no pox despite brief scare, yay!) self-feeding like a pro, strong sitting and assisted standing/pulling up, 3 tiny teeth that she likes to test on my nipples at 4am. Can't roll, won't sleep. <sigh>

TheLittleFriend Sun 23-Jun-13 20:03:45

Who needs to roll when you can sit though Smegs. Another non-sleeping baby though, it seems to be a theme amongst the Brookers babys atm <yawn>

Stacks love the blw pics on fb. He's such a cutie.

Jude is still not well at all. He's been so sad today, it's so horrible to see. And it makes life so much tougher. Dp and I have been snapping at each other all wknd as we're both so sleep deprived. He is just so bloody pessimistic sometimes, always moaning about how hard work the kids can be, rather than the good stuff. Fx tomorrow will be a better day. We're flying to Majorca fri am, so really need J better for then!

Sorry to hear about more none sleeping babies, I now have a non pooing one sad when will the effects of the virus leave her alone?

So how to get K to poo? Answers on a postcard!

TheLittleFriend Sun 23-Jun-13 20:22:13

Boo we really struggled to get J to poo in the early days. Tummy massage helped a bit, as did gripe water to relax his tummy. Hope she's ok soon x

Thanks Little, she was fine (4-5 a day) till this bloody virus. I will try massage and get the gripe water tomorrow.

Stacks Sun 23-Jun-13 22:55:40

Boo T went through a stage of no poo, nothing to do with a virus (that I know of). He was a 3/4 times a day boy, then no poo for a week, followed by about 10 in 24 hrs. Then went to every other day etc etc. They were all normal poo too, nothing hard or discoloured. He still goes through phases of no poo now.
There seemed to be a bit of a correlation with me drinking fruit juice, orange or apple juice, and him pooing lots. It was also recommended by my HV as something to try. Though it wasn't conclusive, it sometimes seemed foolproof.

Is she uncomfortable? T never seemed fussed with not pooing so I didn't worry. No straining or crying. So I'd say as long as K doesn't seem distressed I'd just wait for the poosplosion. It's normal for breastfed babies to go anywhere up to a week without poo.

Aah thanks Stacks, that is helpful so possibly a coincidence that she has done it now but it is normal. I have massaged her belly tonight and she has produced some very smelly wind. I will up my fruit juice and see if it helps too. I have also read on Dr Google that moving her legs like she is riding a bike could help so I will give that a go when she wakes up. Sorry I keep witteling about her, I'm not normally such a worrier blush

Aw. Little, I hope J is better soon. My DH can be v similar. He has unreasonable expectations. wanting DD to be quiet and let him watch sport on tv etc!

Boo, hope K is back to normal soon.If she is straining to go, you could try wiping her bum with damp cotton wool. We had to do this for DD a few times. if you're really keen you can use your finger up there!

POO smilesmile thought I would share that with you grin thanks again for your advice thanks

Little how is J doing? Better I hope.

Everyone else ok?

Is it odd to be pleased that somebody I've never met has done a poo? grin

PetWoman Mon 24-Jun-13 22:23:55

tennis

That is all.

[Shock] how Pet you must tell me, I wanna do balls!

Rubber only slightly odd grin I can further update that poonami did indeed strike the boo house this evening, K is very pleased with herself now grin

Well good night and Brooking for sleep.

ScrambledSmegs Netherlands Mon 24-Jun-13 22:50:38

Ah. Wimbledon.

tennistennistennis[Rafa]tennistennistennis

ScrambledSmegs Netherlands Mon 24-Jun-13 22:57:58

Of course, some of you will be able to see this

💤

What I need more of, and am definitely not getting.

<looks askance at DD2>

Off to bed now. Too late again - I need my evenings to feel human though. Sob...

Brooking for lots of sleep for all with babies! And that all babies get well soon. We've had very low level runny poos for a week now. Grim.

This may be displacement for other things in my life currently but I am hopping mad with mil. They came down here whilst we were away to help with the garden. While she was here she decided to wash a load of stuff for us (she knows I would think this was overstepping, we've spoken to her about it before) and in the process ruined abbie's special purple wool blanket from when she was a newborn. AND never said anything, just left it out for us to fine. DH being wet about it. After all the shit they've said to us out in Italy and all the stress they've put us through she then did that!!! GRRRRR.

Delighted to be back in the uk though!

Stacks Wed 26-Jun-13 13:55:50

We've had a couple of reasonable nights here. I've been putting T in his cot for his first sleep of the night, and last night he stayed there for 2 hours. I've found a weird way to get him to settle too - put my hand over his face confused I think maybe its because he's used to sleeping against my breast or side during the night, so likes something warm right over his face.
After his 2 hours in the cot (8:30-10:15) he then only woke me up once between 10:15 and 5!! No matter which way you cut it that's our best sleep in months weeks.

Weaning is also going better these last couple of days. T has taken some food from a spoon, and actually ate a whole half strawberry today, rather than sucking it to death and throwing the mush away. smile

Oh Pomme how infuriating! There's nothing worse than someone accidentally doing something bad while doing something they know is wrong. Fair enough it was an accident, but if she'd have just not stepped over the line in the first place! I'm angry just thinking about it.
You might be able to rescue the blanket a bit? Sometimes if wool shrinks you can soak it with some hair conditioner for a while then reshape it. It relaxes all the fibres or something. Might be worth a try, though I think I'd find it hard to disassociate even a fully restored blanket from the angry memory of mil ruining it sad

Boo How's K doing? All recovered from her virus? Glad poo happened, I hope it wasn't too much smile We have had a few leaking nappy issues after T doesn't go for a while.

Little how is J? All recovered for your holiday I hope? Sorry to hear you and DH have been snapping through tiredness, the holiday should be a nice break for you.

Waves to everyone else, brooking for sleep all round.

Stacks lovely to hear you have had some better nights, K is doing really well. Poonami did strike eventually.

She had her first set of jabs yesterday, they have added in an oral medicine now too, it is a vaccine for rotavirus. A good idea in theory but they gave an 8 week old a nasty tasting juice hmm I ended up wearing quite a bit of it, and it was really sticky!!

Little brooking that J recovered and you can have a lovely holiday. DH and I have been snapping at each other a bit, I think it is a combination of poor communication and tired/stress and him being an idiot

Brooking for sleepy babies

PetWoman Wed 26-Jun-13 20:39:54

Yy to snapping at DH - we had a better night's sleep earlier this week and were so much nicer to each other the next day! Usually I'm too tired to talk to him though I can MN and he's in a bad mood anyway. sad I'm sure if when DS starts sleeping better we'll get on better too.

Boo glad K is well - has she been ok post-jabs? You can do the ball thing by looking at the list of emoticons at the bottom of the page. I couldn't resist it when I saw it. smile

Stacks yay for a better night's sleep and some proper eating! Hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here!

Pomme sad and angry about the blanket. How long are you in the UK? How are the girls adjusting?

Smegs I hope you get some better nights soon. Wish I had some useful words of wisdom but sleep is rubbish here too. I suspect I need to wean DS completely in order to achieve better sleep but I'm not ready to give up bfing yet, and he certainly isn't! grin.

Those of you who went on bfing beyond 12 months, when did you decide to stop and how did you do it?

It doesn't show on the mobile site sad

K has been a bit grumpy post jabs but not too bad.

Absolutely not talking to DH now, he put my favourite one of K's sleeping bags in the wash with a red coat sad tis ruined sad have soaked it, treated with vanish, re washed with colour catch and more vanish but it is stained sad well, I'm talking to him really just sulking at the same time.

Not a good washing day for the brookers eh Pomme.

TheLittleFriend Thu 27-Jun-13 12:01:05

Hi all, just a quick one from me as I'm in packing chaos. We're off to Majorca tomorrow, so I'll see you all in a week. J is on antibiotics for an ear infection as of yesterday, which explains his grumpiness and worse than normal sleep.

Brooking for happy, good sleepers at home and abroad! smile

Munxx Thu 27-Jun-13 15:26:15

Afternoon, well DS's antics meant I saw every hour last night. Yawn!

And the little only has started biting me with his one (very large) tooth.

brew anyone?

brew yes please Munxx. The recent virus and jabs has taken my lovely little self settle for a nap, lovely happy bedtime girl and swapped her for a demon who will not sleep unless my boob is in her mouth sad

I am sore, split and bleeding, even tried her with a dummy but nothing works. Last night was the worst sleep I had, she was feeding (well. Latched on and screamed every time I took her off) from 10 till 1 sad any advice??

Munxx Thu 27-Jun-13 15:40:57

Aw boo that's horrible poor you!

Ok... To sort out your poor nipples right now I recommend lansinoh and breast shells. Stick K in her bouncer and get two nice hot flannels and give your poor boobs a nice massage with them. Leave them to air as much as you can (if possible). Apply breast milk and lansinoh and pop on the shells rather than pads as they have air vents to allow healing.

DS is a dummy refuser too. Is her latch OK? Do you have a local bfing support group? I am basically a human dummy too. Would you consider co sleeping?

I was at a training last night and got home just before 10. DD was in bed asleep which was amazing without boob. To make up for it she fed 6 times during the night...

Thanks Munxx, I am halfway there, I have lansonoh but no shells, I do have nip shields for feeding, she doesn't really like them yet but we're persevering. Her latch has always been short, if I get boob right in for an exaggerated latch she gags and retches, she would (I think) prefer to nipple feed shock I do usually end up winning and get my self a decent latch but she will shift her head about mid feed to shorten in.

We do have a bfing support group, I have been in touch with them while she has been poorly and struggling to feed, I will to call them again if tonight is just as bad.

Crikey, didn't realise how much I felt sorry for myself, I will be happy when I don't look like biscuitbiscuit <-------that any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now