Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2011 - We understand no but we choose to ignore it.

(993 Posts)
ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 18-Jun-13 14:02:40

Welcome Aprilites smile

Kittycatcat Mon 30-Sep-13 12:59:32

A took his first step yesterdaysmile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 30-Sep-13 13:54:31

Well done A grin such a big moment!

Not much going on here today. Going to Tesco's with ds3 was probably the highlight!

Ds2's school is closed tomorrow because of strikes and ds3 is at preschool in the morning, so I will have ds2 to myself all morning. I'm really looking forward to it, we don't have much time together anymore.

Hello! I was thinking yesterday, "god that April lot have been quiet recently" only to realise tonight you dropped off my TIO blush

Alls well here (well now it is, but that's a whole other thread)

B is finally making sense with his chat! It's still hit or miss we understand it but he is good at making his needs known.

Potty training question. We haven't started but I'm ready when he is.

NomDeClavier Mon 30-Sep-13 19:31:16

Well done A!

Sounds like things went tits up for a bit, fizz? You ok now?

We have been a bit quiet.... I'd probably just be a potty training bore if I got started. M just doesn't seem to recognise when he's doing a poo. I even resorted to setting a timer to put him on the potty every half hour. Caught all the wees but 2 poos in pants and no warning signs! He's mastered stealth pooing.

Kittycatcat Mon 30-Sep-13 20:08:33

You ok fizz?

YoniHuman Mon 30-Sep-13 22:17:52

grin at the phrase "stealth pooing" P is extremely obvious when trying to do one and will do the sign for nappy change, then once it is delivered she will shake her head and vehemently deny that her pants are steaming and run off.

I know it's not a major problem but allow me a little wallow/vent here please. We have finally received the appointment for P's SALT assessment. (6 months since i initially requested the referral at her 2year check).. It's on the 15th Oct. P can still only say less than a dozen single words although she has started to say some phonics letter sounds (DS word builder toy is on the fridge and they both love Cbeebies Alphablocks). Her listening and comprehension skills are very good as far as I'm concerned but I wish she would attempt to speak a bit more, especially now she's attending preschool. She still can't even say own name or even yes or no. sad. DS was also a late talker but even he had a wider vocabulary by this age.

my feelings are mixed about the assessment TBH. I want it done but there are a couple of SALTs I really don't want to have to see again as I found them very condescending in their attitude last time round with DS. After the initial assessment when he was 2.5 we had to attend group sessions with 4/5 other children. They asked me if I ever read to DS or had I thought about singing nursery rhymes as he didn't take seem to take part in the action rhymes. FFS, read your notes. He visited the library every week for the baby/ toddler rhyme times and I had also gone to the session straight from work so I was still wearing my work ID badge with the name of the public library where I work prominently displayed. (One of my duties BTW , yep you've guessed it. Working in the Children's Library and leading story and singing sessions). I would think those fairly obvious clues would suggest the thought of reading/singing to my child had occurred to me. They obviously never read our notes as they asked me this practically every session for weeks.
Luckily when DS was 3.5 he was referred for 1-1 sessions which actually helped and he was signed off just before starting school.
If anyone is still reading this apologies for the rant but it was very cathartic. smile

Kittycatcat Tue 01-Oct-13 07:39:37

Rant away yoni. Well within your rights imo. Grrr! Hope it goes ok and they actually take the time to read your notes this time.

NomDeClavier Tue 01-Oct-13 10:20:14

Rant away, yoni Very poor form not to read your notes, and to not remember from session to session.

Fingers crossed for P's SALT assessment and that they listen to you this time.

Kittycatcat Wed 02-Oct-13 07:03:29

Anyone got the kindle fire? Dh left his bag on the train fri with my kindle in confused

NomDeClavier Wed 02-Oct-13 08:54:55

Oh no kitty sad LTB!!! Seriously though no I don't have the fire but DH days if he were getting a new kindle he'd get the paper white because fire isn't the best of both kindle and tablet like it's supposed to be.

JollySleepyGiant Wed 02-Oct-13 09:48:43

Checking in.

Lots of potty training happening. We are still at the considering it stage. We've been putting H on the potty morning and night and caught lots of peed and one poo. We've bought pants and vests without pops. He knows when he's pooing but is less clear about pee.

Rebecca is 6 weeks old this week. Feeding is going really well. We had so many problems with BF first time around that I feel we deserve this.

I will now finish my question I started a couple of days ago!

B is staying dry for long periods of time, then in the blink of an eye is soaked through. Cm mentioned that it could be a sign he is beginning to control weeing and he might be ready soon, but he can't articulate this.

Do I just start sitting him on the potty (bought a training seat for the loo but he is terrified of it hmm)
He is also taking his own nappy off <boak> and saying "no like" when we try to put on a new one. I think he might be ready, but I really don't want to get it wrong like the cot side saga.

What say ye aprilites?

Kitty, moral of the story is never lend dh anything! Does he have a tablet?if so, I would be commandeering that as my own, until Fire is replaced or returned grin

GreenFirefly Wed 02-Oct-13 19:46:14

Still no potty training here, or baths for M, or blankets for that matter. She's a stroppy stubborn little madam grin. She does sit on the potty every evening but has never done anything in it. Nappy changes aren't popular at the moment, I tried putting her in pull up pants a few days ago but that resulted in a massive meltdown tantrum confused

A is 7 weeks tomorrow. She went for a hip scan on Monday due to being breech. We were expecting to be out in minutes as we were with M but no sad. Her hip was a few degrees out and to be on the safe side it was recommened to put her in a harness for a few weeks, otherwise it's surgery at 2 if it didn't rectify itself. Poor thing is now all strapped up with her legs in a frog position. Happily it doesn't seem to be bothering her but it makes nappy changes awkward and breastfeeding positioning is unconventional to say the least grin. Hopefully it'll be completely off by mid November.

TwentiethCenturyGirl Wed 02-Oct-13 20:03:47

Oh no Firefly sad - poor little A. Glad it doesn't seem to be bothering her though and definitely better than it's sorted out now then surgery at two.

If you think B might be ready Fizz, why not have a go? If it becomes rapidly obvious that it isn't working, then you can always go back to nappies for a bit. Both of SILs have used this approach (particularly with their boys) and it didn't do them any harm.

GreenFirefly Wed 09-Oct-13 19:54:38

How is everyone's week going?

Had any luck with the potty Fizz?

I'm tired and grumpy after a grim night where the girls seemed to wake in relay and sleep evaded us completely after M came into our bed about 4.30 sad I'm hoping everyone is back to their best sleeping patterns tonight.

We've still no change on the bath (or lack of) front. I'm really thinking that forcing her in and playing with toys might be the only way sad
Does anyone have an answer to being ignored when asking a question or giving an instruction? I know she's not got any hearing problems - she can hear an ambulance 50 miles away - but asking her to sit for a meal (and various other requests) are blanked. Including stopping when asked when she's off her reins (I'm trying bribery with choc buttons but even they're not working consistantly).

How are you finding coping with two Jolly?

If it helps Green, B is a bolter and a rescuer of any request. I found request like, dinners ready, to just let him ignore, sit down ourselves and eventually he comes along.

The recall thing? I have no idea, I have turned into the proverbial fishwife, yelling down the street after my son who has the turn of speed that usain bolt has. What I do have is sympathy smile

Potty training not going well either. I swear he is surprised that wee and poo comes out his body!

GreenFirefly Wed 09-Oct-13 21:21:26

B and M sound very similar. They'd get on famously. Though we get told about poo sometimes.

She does actually run down the street shouting 'stop', but doesn't follow her own instruction, same with climbing on furniture. Somehow we seem have managed to train her to stop at kerbs to see if there's a car coming. However, it was forgotten last week when she was running with her friends, got a bit over excited and ran across a road. I then also ran straight across to give her a very stern talking to. She was subdued for the rest of the day so I think it kind of went in. We'll see if anything has improved when we walk back from nursery tomorrow.

JollyScaryGiant Thu 10-Oct-13 03:02:47

Hiya!

I'm having fun with two, Firefly. I've been feeling awful this week though. Picked up some sort of virus from H. My throat is really sore and my temp has been up. So so ce Monday afternoon we've just been doing whatever we can to get through. Tuesdays are tough anyway as DH works 15 hours.

I think we're going to try potty training from Wednesday. That gives us 5 days when we don't have to leave the house.

For discipline/listening I think I'm ridiculously strict andjuse punishment fairly regularly. We have a naughtyspace where H is put for misbehaving. We also use sanctions. Yesterday morning he lost a favourite toy as he wouldn't stop kicking when I was trying to dress him. I have left places and taken him home in the past for misbehaving.

We also have a sticker chart for staying in bed until his gro clock lights up. Once he gets a certain no of stickers he gets a toy car. It took a good couple of months for this to bed in but now it works very well.

Lovely that this thread is still going. I like checking in to see what you're all up to smile

Kittycatcat Sat 12-Oct-13 08:53:59

Hello everyone
My friend gave birth to absny girl yesterday morning. 6 1b 14. Awh

Kittycatcat Mon 14-Oct-13 10:27:00

Just had the coil fitted!

GreenFirefly Mon 14-Oct-13 22:40:48

I think I've got my periods back already sad she's only 8 weeks old and I'm breastfeeding. She's a quick feeder though, and <whispers> both girls slept through on Saturday night! I don't really expect this to happen again for a couple of years.

Daisy17 Tue 15-Oct-13 17:10:43

How was it, kitty? Thinking of doing the same. Mirena or copper?

NomDeClavier Tue 15-Oct-13 17:16:20

I know I've given birth and all but the thought of a coil is just owwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Poor you green that's just not fair!

glaikit M was like that until I just took the nappy off and left him bare bottomed and he was like 'oh, I'm wee0ing, that feels strange'! Took a little while to get him into pants but we a bit seem to be there for wees, except he won't sodding ask and poos are still nervy on the potty.

I'm mean. I use reins on my bolter grin

Kittycatcat Tue 15-Oct-13 18:16:28

It was fine daisy. They did a local anaesthetic and thats all I felt!! I had cramps yesterday and milder ones today which is normal apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now