Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 Babies Half a year already and still kind of sane.

(1000 Posts)
halestone Sat 01-Jun-13 21:02:21

New thread

Oh FoD rubbish sad at least you can pop home at lunch? What are you going to do re breastfeeding?

Is it possible to not pump on the two days I'm at work and still bf the other days? There would be nowhere to pump at work... Unless I go and sit in a store cupboard hmm then I could put it in the fridge we share with the builders next door grin

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 13:27:07

That's going to be my plan spotty, certainly for a few weeks while I go back on a phased return. Guess it won't work after that as I'll work 3 consecutive days every other week.
Insurance co are sending someone out on Monday. They'll pay for everything if something has damaged the pipe and caused the leak but if its just wear and tear then they'll pay for nothing. Guess which it'll be then.
Have got nothing done off my job list as I've been on the phone to insurance co and leak people for most of Ts nap. I have sent an email to my boss.
spotty I think I'd stick it out if possible while you look for something else. This bloody leak is just reminding me of how shit our finances are and so how I need to get another job. This scares me though as decent p/t jobs are so rare. Hate the thought of being faced with a choice between f/t work or totally broke.
Sorry, I am the voice of doom today!

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 15:26:10

In cheerier news, I got the walker out for Tabs today and she loved it! It was great for her to hang out in the kitchen with me while I cooked her some apples and some chicken casserole - about 1000 weaning pots worth! She played with some toys on the tray and scooted around a bit feeling the cupboard doors - it was fab.

I've just realised ds went four hours between feeds this morning. This is only his fourth feed of the day I'm worried he will be making up for if all night!

Barbeasty Fri 21-Jun-13 17:08:39

Spotty I have just been locking myself in the toilet to pump. Then I have a madela cool bag which I store it in all day. It works pretty well, and the freezer block thing is shaped so 4 storage bottles (5oz each) fit around it nicely. I couldn't go a day without expressing, but I did manage it when I went back to work with DD, when she was 1. I guess it depends when you're going back.

FoD makes the most of today/ the weekend, and good luck for Monday. I really do think the idea of going back is worse than reality, and you get into the routine pretty quickly. But maybe book a few odd days leave so you have them to look forward to.

A is on the move, with a funny commando crawl. And he ate a whole pouch at lunchtime. He didn't get through a whole one between Monday and Tuesday, so when you consider this morning's bowl of porridge.... Bet it doesn't translate to sleep tonight!

My pump is electric Barbeasty and the one toilet opens into the kitchen hmm (for all he architects it's technically a wash room wink)

Stacks Fri 21-Jun-13 17:58:05

Isn't there some kind of law/rule that a room with a lock and a fridge be supplied for breastfeeding mums returning to work? It's definitely in my works HR doc and they do little that's not required by law.

T has been sleeping on me/attached to breast for the last 3 hrs. Time to wake him? It's usually bed time by 7:30/8.

I hope returning to work isn't as bad as you fear FoD, WL and Spotty. It's been DHs plan for me to be a sahm since before I got pg, so I've never had to consider leaving T. Can't imagine how hard it'd be. I'm aware how lucky I am though even if I am jealous of the idea of tea and lunch breaks.

Stacks Fri 21-Jun-13 17:59:18

And grats on the 4 hours between feeds spotty smile

If I go back it won't be until September, maybe KIT days through August. That room could only be my boss' office....awkward blush also my job is in a tiny office in the middle of the country (on a farm!) it's a completely different ball game to working for a big company. That's not to say they wouldn't do it it's just things work differently, for example I don't get, and never have had, a lunch break and I work minimum nine hour days. Ffs I hate my job!

itsMYNutella Fri 21-Jun-13 18:25:40

Spotty so sorry to hear how much you hate your job. Hating my old job (every minute) was what took me to NZ where I met DP and why I was happy to leave and make myself sort of jobless in a foreign country confused ... It's great though grin. We are just happy to be together <mushy puke emoticon>

I was out all morning with DS and he had 2 good naps in his buggy (as always) what do they put in buggies to make babies sleep???

Ds only sleeps in his buggy if I put him on his tummy with a blanket over the whole thing so he can't see out hmm

Just putting him to bed. Let's see what only five feeds and three hot meals does for his sleeping!

Dp and I just had an argument talking about me going back to work. Dd's nursery is in the opposite direction to the way we both work and it doesn't open until eight which is when we both start work...

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 19:50:57

Oh dear spotty, that's a tricky one to work out. Any chance you can start later now? You are entitled to negotiate you hours although of course your employer does not have to agree. And yes it is law that they must make provision for you to express but as you say, in reality that provision may just not be good enough. For me, deciding not to spend my lunch hour expressing is also about the fact that my lunch hour (which on this job I do take) is so useful for doing other jobs - I often pop to Sainsburys for a few bits or get upcoming birthday cards and pressies etc.

I hope the 3 square meals will set him up for a good night!

Bless you nutella - love is good!

stacks that's lovely that you and dp are on the same wavelength about your childcare. I was very lucky to be able to take some time out with dd1 following redundancy. If money were no object I'd definitely stay home for longer. Sadly looking after your own children doesn't pay. Never mind, I should really count my blessings as there are so many out there with so few.

Yes I can it wouldn't be a problem I just can't be bothered to drive seven eight miles in the opposite direction in the morning. Also I think the fact that I really don't want to go back is causing me to be difficult grin

PurplePidjin Fri 21-Jun-13 20:19:47

Nutella, my ellaroo has sleepy dust woven into the stripes wink

I have discovered that feeding R up in the evening means he can't take enough milk to get to sleep. No pudding = 10 minutes and bang! Greedy sausage ate 2 de-crumbed fish fingers, a small sweet potato, a handful of spinach and a spoonful of peas though, plus milk before and at bedtime shock

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 20:24:34

T just will not settle tonight. She's been getting really upset so has been in and out of the cot and is now back on the boob. We seem to have taken a wrong turn on the sleep training bus! It's so hot I just can't leave her getting all worked up.

How do you tell a bloody 6 month old off? I'm trying to get j to go to sleep, he's exhausted lying on my chest. He's just reared up his head, smiled and bit me on the nose. I'm really struggling not to wee laughing grin

MaMaPo Fri 21-Jun-13 20:40:15

smile Willyou. BabyC often bites me on the chin - cute before, but her 2 new teeth are as sharp as anything!

WL - good luck with settling tonight.

Bit pissed off with my husband - I told him to go for a drink after work if he fancied, so he did. Still isn't home. I wouldn't mind if he'd told me how late he would be! I wouldn't have waited for him to make dinner! Gah. But he works hard so is entitled to some relaxation time.

Nutella, where in NZ did you live? I love NZ, can't wait to go back.

Barbeasty Fri 21-Jun-13 21:15:58

I know they have to provide somewhere, but like Spotty there just isn't anywhere else. I can't be bothered with having a conversation demanding something they can't really provide.

I think you might be ok Spotty. Especially if you maybe replaced a daytime feed with a bottle in the run up to going back.

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 21:36:00

That's cute willyou

Dp isn't talking to me (mature hmm) because he came downstairs at 7:30 and asked if I minded him going out tonight and I said yes blush then at 9:00 he said 'right, is it ok if I go now?' And I said 'no!' Ffs he doesn't have to get permission from me generally but a bit of notice would be nice. I said how would you like it if I suddenly said I was going out and he said he would be fine with it. Yeah, right angry. Sorry that's really petty!

Fx good sleeps for everyone. WL maybe something is upsetting her tonight?

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 22:29:47

I need to start getting out a bit more of an evening. Just going to check for local late swim sessions but I think I might have to go to Guildford.
spotty that nursery run is a long way, can see why you don't want to do it.
T has been fine all day but had a nap a bit later than usual so maybe just wasn't quite tired enough to drift off. She doesn't seem to like being by herself much in the day either - other 2 were little limpets too. Someone else said about later crawling due to be carried lots and I think was probably part of it with my big 2. Will see if T is the same.

WLmum Fri 21-Jun-13 22:34:57

Oh local pool is open til 10 Sundays and Mondays - I'm going to go on Sunday! Woo-hoo see me go wild and crazy!

MaMaPo Fri 21-Jun-13 22:34:59

Echoing spotty - sleepy dust for everyone! I'm doing the dream feed tonight instead of my husband and C had cried out a couple of times so we thought he was waking up. Turned out she'd just wriggled herself to the top of the cot and was squished up against it.

Feel a bit bad for being annoyed with my husband - he got home and was sad as he'd been listening to a song that had made him feel sad/guilty/homesick about some family issues, so he gets cut a lot of slack tonight. Poor man, it is quite stressful.

Right - feed done - bedtime!

halestone Fri 21-Jun-13 23:14:06

Willyou and mama H bit me the other week on my finger tip it hurt so bad i cried ha and i really tried not to cry oh how DP and my dad laughed at me.

WL i've had a really clingy restless baby all week. Its been draining me and DP have nearly killed each other because its been abit stressful. I was wondering whether the weather was causing it.

Spotty i hope you and DP make up quickly, sometimes men don't understand that we'd quite like a break sometimes.

Beasty congratulations on the new jobwinethanks

FoD hope you had a lovely last mat day.

This thread is not accepting new messages.