Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jan 2013 Part 4: More noises, movements and more sleep?! Hmmmm

(1000 Posts)
happyhow Tue 28-May-13 17:58:19

New thread!

I leave B during the night until he's making persistent noise - I don't usually wake up til then anyway! He's always wide awake; he's never done the dream feed thing. I tickle under his neck or blow gently on his face to keep him awake...

He's still in with us but will be going in his own room once his blackout blind arrives and we've given it a good Hoover. Probably in the next week or so.

B is still mostly in 0-3 clothes shock. I've started putting him in 3-6 vests but his other things mostly look far too big on him still (he's 19weeks). Sainsburys stuff is bigger though, as is Asda.

Hubby has taken B out for a long walk so that I can get some of this marking done. Bailey seemed to think that 3 15min naps today was acceptable so he's been doing my head in and I've gotten absolutely nothing done. He's just point blank refused to sleep today.

CreepyCrawly Mon 08-Jul-13 10:40:20

Welcome back louise and welcome to new

lora it's scary how quick 6 months has gone by. This amount of time again and they'll be having their first birthdays! I find it terrifying, they're really not little for long.

Hope you're all enjoying this (horrible) weather.

Hi all

hope everyone is coping ok in the heat. I am the grinch who stole summer as i bloody hate the heat <grinchy emoticon>. Hope you're all enjoying the sun while i hide smile

Ivy has been grouchy and clearly teething which hasn't helped but 1 top tooth came through yesterday and another 1 today! shock

She was so excited by her lunch (pear and banana) that it ended up all over before she could eat it, which is good i suppose.

Creepy and lora my ds2 is already counting down to xmas as 'its not long now til his birthday'! confused

i have already started to get ready for xmas and all birthdays

CreepyCrawly Mon 08-Jul-13 19:28:57

I'm hiding with you apple! I hate the heat, but it's good for business so can't complain too much in front of DH

Noooo I don't want Christmas to come too soon, sorry ds2! I should probably make a start soon.

What's everyone's baby sleeping in tonight?! I've just put Nancy down and it's 24.5 degrees in there so she's just in a nappy and a vest, haven't put her blanket on her either.

Lora1982 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:20:06

Ibeen putting him just in his pjs with a massive muslin.

Was shopping in boots and looking at baby food n I see all the lumpy ones are for 7+ I was like hmmm hes eating lumpy things already cos ive got no patience with the masher upper machine

May dig out the 6-9 bin bags of clothes tomorrow it'll be like ive just been shopping

octanegirl Mon 08-Jul-13 20:39:19

Poor little boy has been all hot and bothered today. He's just been in a sleeveless vest but is still all hot and sweaty. Surely in just a nappy he will sweat even more on contact with anything other than cotton? Me, for example?
Even with all windows open its 25c in the house so he's in his cot with said sleeveless vest and nothing else. Do you think that's enough?

newbie6 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:52:15

Hi all,

Started weaning yesterday. Was very bad and used the Ella's kitchen stuff so he had the parsnip purée one. He seemed ok on it but I'm not sure how much to give him? He probably took about 3 teaspoons max? Obviously the pouch thing it comes in is massive but how much should he be having? I know milk is still the main food but when do you increase from just giving him solids once a day etc? I'm rubbish and never see HV despite being told she would be in touch to tell me about weaning!

On a positive, my LO is still sleeping 7pm till 7am, no idea why but I thank whoever it is up above every night as realise how lucky I am!

Cannot believe how hot it is, I'd forgotten what heat felt like!

Hope everyone else is enjoying the sunshine!

X

Birdies Mon 08-Jul-13 21:09:03

octane I think that's about right for 25 degrees. Bare arms and bare legs. You can't really go much less than that. Just have to keep an eye overnight to check temp doesn't drop too much as it usually does by a degree or two. Could shut windows later on?

newbie not listening re the sleep! I'm still up a lot in the night but moving X into nursery soon so hoping I won't be as soft and pick her up and feed her at every sound.

Re weaning, I felt guilty too today as I used an Ella's kitchen puréed apple pouch! But actually there's nothing wrong with that really. I couldn't find any organic fruit locally so I reckoned that was the next best thing and i didnt expect her to eat it (she did have a tiny bit though which was a first!). They say to expect them to have only a teaspoon or 2 at first. The Annabel Karmel book is really helpful in setting out meal plans - it's very much a cook from scratch book, but you can substitute bought organic stuff for some of the homemade things too. I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I didn't have that book. It's this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/Annabel-Karmels-Complete-Toddler-Planner/dp/0091924855/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373313950&sr=1-1

Pascha Mon 08-Jul-13 21:09:24

3 teaspoons sounds fine, newbie. Basically you give them what they want to have and no more. Milk is the main source of nutrition at this point so don't worry about amounts, just focus on offering a wide range of flavours and textures.

Not envy about your 7-7 sleeping at all oh no.

Daniel sucked the innards out of two fresh bacon, cheese and tomato ravioli pieces at teatime, he gummed quite a lot of the pasta as well and seemed to enjoy it immensely. The only other food he had was a cucumber stick to cool his gums this morning.

Its been too breezy down here in Kent to be that warm. Dan is asleep in nappy, vest and 1-tog bag tonight.

DH came home from work with a lovely sunburn stripe across the top of his arse where his tshirt kept riding up above his shorts. He had sunblock on all over but didn't think about that area and now he's gingerly rubbing some cream on it. Plonker grin

Dig out the 6-9 clothes Lora? We appear to be stretching the rompers lengthwise already at 6months and 2 days! From such a tiny little newborn we appear to have a skinny giant on our hands...

Pascha Mon 08-Jul-13 21:13:39

Oh yeah, we use the puree pouches too, easy to mix the fruit ones in with plain yoghurt or porridge when its cold and they do look so cute with a little spoon in their hand. Its such fun loading spoons and swapping them into their hands over and over. Goes everywhere though grin

octanegirl Mon 08-Jul-13 21:15:21

Thanks Birdies. I'm now in a flap that I don't have a fan as apparently risk of SIDS is much higher over 21c!

Lora1982 Mon 08-Jul-13 21:34:16

Ive been crap with portions so I just keep going til he seems non interested. He often has a whole pouch its painful watching him learn how far not to shuv the spoon bless him.

His toes have been squished into 3-6 for a while not trying to keep him tiny and I think leg movement is hindered a lot so it is regretfully I have to put him in the right size sad

Going to see if I can decorate some tops with my new found skills. Boys clothes are very samey arent they? Theres millions for girls.

Oh we've been in 6-9 month stuff for ages! Its amazing how they go from so tiny (esp when early) to proper big and sturdy! Ivy is huge and plump and quite yummy!

Right i need help! Dd1 sleep is worse than ever. I've tried so hard to keep bedtime calm and make sure she is getting lots of love and attention. It worked for a while and was lovely but now... This is 3rd night running that its started lovely but ended up with a huge tantrum in her part. I refuse to engage with her but that seems to infuriate her but when i do keep gently reminding her of time to sleep and get a marble in her marble jar it ends up escalating to total madness.

I'm at the end of my tether and worried for her sad. Tonight dp got up to help me and he shut the door. She did the usual 'i need a wee stuff' then deliberately weed on the floor! She had been several times already and i know she did it on purpose. I just don't know what to do now sad any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Ps sorry a bit me me but this is all new to me neither ds would ever have bothered to do any of this. After 1 late night they will always settle early the next night! I feel like i'm drowning here

happyhow Mon 08-Jul-13 22:30:20

I would love to help Apples but I have no other children so haven't had to encounter that so far... I hope someone else can give some ideas though.

I've got B in a vest and baby gro with a shawl over tonight and did the same last night - which was the best nights sleep I've had since last weds. He's been struggling a bit with the heat though during the day and think we're going to buy him so cooler clothes tomo - what works in Abrdn doesn't work in the heat of the Lakes this week!! He came out with a really bad sweat/heat rash yesterday which looked really bad actually. He's def been happiest when parading around in his nappy for the last two days though!!!!

In annoying news, my shiny two week old car has broken twice in 2 days!! The driver window got stuck when hubby opened it fully and we had to fanny about with a credit card trying to push down the inner seal so that we could get it shut. Next day, hubby went to put B in the car and the back door handle came off in his hand and went flying across the car park! We are unimpressed... It's booked in next week to be fixed.

EagleRay Mon 08-Jul-13 23:00:24

Hi - popping back in after a very long absence! Just tried to catch up on the last couple of months of posts and finding the weaning experiences particularly interesting as gearing up to start soon (Baby Eagleray is 23 weeks today).

Still struggling to get her to bed properly before 10pm (up until that time she will just ping awake at the slightest thing if I manage to feed her to sleep). Then it's normally another feed between 1 and 3 and then another early morning. I've mastered the art of feeding lying down and dozing so don't lose too much sleep.

We've spent the afternoon lying in a hammock in the garden - been so looking forward to summer days in hammock with her, but it's quite tricky juggling drink, magazine and sweaty wriggly baby smile

Sorry you're struggling with DD1 Apple - no personal experience in this area but remember a friend having similar problems (think DD1 was 3 and DD2 a few months old), and there was definitely a few pee/poo incidents in the bedroom when she got really angry. It did all pass soon enough though and she's lovely now.

Thanks eagle and happy and welcome back eagle. Glad to hear this problem is not unheard of, gives me hope that we can survive. Tbh really just having a rant. Honestly 6 months ago i was all smug that my 3 dcs would all go to bed without too much trouble. I am sure that the heat is what kicked off our current problem but she is now really shattered.

Ah well at least she will sleep all night now and tomorrow is a new day. At least it all shows shes quite clever and stubborn <grabs at straws>

Happy thats really crap about the car! Hope it gets sorted soon

glorious Tue 09-Jul-13 08:56:45

Welcome back eagle and hello from France! It's very very hot here and DD is sleeping in just a sleeveless vest or part of the night in just her nappy.

octane on the other hand SIDS risk decreases at 5 months so try not to worry too much overall, though I know it can be hard.

apples no advice but brew and sympathy.

lollipoppi Tue 09-Jul-13 09:09:03

Apples, DS1 is the same! Never had any problems until DD was about 1 month old, it would take me upto 10pm of putting him back into his room, this might sound awful but I put a lock on his room and ignored him, after 1 week he didn't even attempt to come out of his room and we have tool the lock off. We still have problems in the night, he gets up 2-3 times and comes into our room.

Also on another note he has been dry for 8 months, but in the last 2 weeks has totally regressed! He has already done 2 wees in his undies already today and its driving me mad! Any advise on that one anyone??

DD is totally pissed off with this heat!

Lora1982 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:26:08

I only have the one so feel free to tell me to stop talking out my arse but could it be attention seeking? My friend has a dd in and out of hospital and her son has suddenly decided to stop pooing, drs cant find anything wrong with him and she thinks its attention seeking cos his sisters ill all the time.

salt1 Tue 09-Jul-13 20:29:13

Hello all we are the sick house. Floss caught a vomiting bug then i got it and now dh. I feel so ill and really struggling to look after her. Floss has just nappy on with a fan in the room and we have moved into spare room.

Lostbobbles Tue 09-Jul-13 21:18:23

Apples- clever little madam on your hands!. No helpful advice but i just try to ignore the bad and praise the good. I'm also talking out of my arse, as I have on numerous occasions exploded at dd1 and felt massively guilty after

I find it so hard not to expect so much from my DD1 and I forget she is still only 4 (nearly 5)

Busy day today, baby group this morning then DD1 had a play date, spent most of eve clearing up the bomb site they created.

Off to the farm tomorrow, after DD2 swimming lesson. I'm exhausted on day 2, god help me for the next 7.5 weeks..... must book camps

On plus side, have had a few good nights with only one waking, popped dummy in and straight back to sleep grin what the hell was I thinking taking it away bet I have just seriously jinxed myself.

Oh salt poor you sad hope you are all feeling better soon x

lora you are so right, dd1 is attention seeking. Dp is rarely here so although i try to give lots of attention most of the time i also have Ivy on hip (or boob) and dss are always fighting etc so she must feel like she isn't getting any of my time.

Tried again with marble jar as incentive tonight but also read a story in bed with her after Ivy went down. It wasn't perfect but tonight was much calmer and she was asleep by 8.30. i did a little dance when i found her asleep. Went to library today and cleaned them out of parenting books! smile

Ivy settled herself tonight...but only after turning 360° in the cot. Since its been so hot we haven't used sleeping bag so i keep finding her legs stuck through the bars. Still at least she sleeps!

She also sits now too. And has discovered that ripping uo the newspaper is noisy fun grin

<wonders why she even tries to read paper>

Lost thats what i'm trying, it does work but is hard to do as they all seem to be constantky doing things they shouldn't..which is frustrating!

Oh god lost the summer hols! Am panicked just thinking about them. 2 weeks to go.. Eeek!

Lora1982 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:34:12

Think dexters constipated cos he tries to go but hes only done a few pebbles. I gave him plenty boob and two bottles to get liquid in him I even managed to get an ounce of water in him, he only seems to like that if its warm. Any other tips for me? He's happiest he's been for days but he must be so uncomfy. I gave him a warm bath, massaged his belly and put some vaseline on his exit hole.

Ive realised today that I love him grin he's beautiful

Bananas often get things going so i'd try that. Otherwise lots of boob. Did that with Ivy for a day (ie no solids for a day) theb she did a good ols fashioned explosion..was v impressive smile (i wasn't there when she did it just had to come and help a traumatised dp)

This thread is not accepting new messages.