Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 - We've all had our babies now. Let the (hard work) fun commence!

(954 Posts)
HadALittleFaithBaby Thu 23-May-13 21:35:11

Thought I'd take the liberty of starting a new thread since the last one filled. So mark your places, get comfy and prepare for a few sleepless nights!

In particular we think of Empress and little Sam - hoping and praying he's coming home! smile

enjay0811 Fri 24-May-13 11:44:37

Ooh, F is booked into private nursery from Oct too - the places were already being booked up!

Need some advice too and may pop along to bf support group but wonder if you ladies had any advice? I have a very strong let down and poor F ends up coughing and sputtering most of the time, then too windy/tired to have a full feed (usually at 4am feed when sleepy). Seems to be worse on right boob too?!

birdbrain17 Fri 24-May-13 12:14:48

enjay I had that problem for a couple of weeks, I could see when she came off coughing that it was just squirting out everywhere (!), I found if I used a hand pump to express for a couple of mins first then it didn't come out too fast for her, and it seems to have settled now and I don't need to express anymore. How old is your lo?

can you believe this is our second post-natal thread?!

birdbrain17 Fri 24-May-13 12:15:02

I know what some people mean about being envy of pg people. We're moving to Manchester in the summer and DH is starting his job in September (he finished his exams yesterday grin so we're going to wait till we're settled in before we even discuss when to try for more, but I don't think I want to wait too long. I found pg and labour hard but I didn't really realise what I was getting at the end wink now that I have a dd I think next time I will be much more positive during pregnancy as I will know how gorgeous newborns are! Also don't want to spoil dd which is what will happen if I don't have another baby to keep me busy, I love her so much grin

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 12:23:24

Sending lots of good luck vibes to empress and Sam!
Good to see others feeling a bit jealous of pg people! I am an awful pregnant person so I'm amazed I feel envious lol.
I am however at an odd point. We have our hands full with 3 DC under 6yrs. It is certain we will not be trying for any more. I dread to think of how chaotic life will be when I go back to work! However, I am only 25 and many women still have babies in their 40s. Which makes me think I possibly will have another when these three are older! Who knows!

enjay0811 Fri 24-May-13 12:27:45

Bought a breast pump a few days ago with the intention of doing that bird but then read up and was put off by advise that pumping increases supply even more! Maybe if I express just a little it won't effect it? Lo is 4w2d.

I know that dh and I said F would be our 3rd dc and last but makes me kind of sad that I won't be doin the whole pregnancy, birth and newborn thing again sad. I would secretly do it a 4th time but dh wouldn't and practically we'd need a bigger house, car etc and would love to stop paying nursery fees!!

enjay0811 Fri 24-May-13 12:30:38

Ha ha num3 I think the same! grin I am 32 but have 2 close relatives and a good friend that had babies when they were 40. Plenty of time to persuade dh lol

Trishstar Fri 24-May-13 12:31:59

Ladies my mum has just informed me that from 3 - 4 months she used to put a spoonful of baby rice in my night time bottle and I slept thru.

Is this a massive no no now? Xxx

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 12:39:01

Deffently a no no on the rice. Any thing other than milk before at least 4 months can harm lo's kidneys I believe!

birdbrain17 Fri 24-May-13 12:40:21

enjay I had it when my lo was about 2 weeks till about 4 week, I only expressed a little and my supply is fine. I did when I was anyway about to feed so I guess my body didn't think it needed to produce more for extra feeds. I expressed for a few mins till I could see as it came into the pump that it wasn't squirting out everywhere anymore (you'll see what I mean when you try it). Hope that helps...

Trishstar Fri 24-May-13 12:43:01

Thanks Num xxx

how come when I was a baby (born in 83) babies used to be weaned at 12 weeks?

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 12:43:09

Even when lo is of recommended weaning age adding things to bottles isn't advised. Plus it probably wouldn't pass through the teat!

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 12:47:47

Trish these things change all the time. Same as how they say babies should be lay to sleep, or if they need scratch mitts. I just wouldn't want to risk harming lo.
I used bedtime milk with ds2 I think it was by hipp. Not sure on the age recomendation on that it might be 6 months.
My first two DC were weaning from 4 months, less than the recommended age but considered safer than 12 weeks. They were very hungry babies though on hungry milk 9oz every couple of hours. Dd is not like that so far and she is almost 8 weeks.

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 12:51:14

I hope no one takes my no no post as me being funny! it was not intended in that way x

Trishstar Fri 24-May-13 12:55:20

I think what I might try once he's 12 weeks is giving him his 4 daytime bottles as the 6oz he already has and offering 7oz at the midnight feed.

I saw that goodnight milk by Hipp but like you say it's when they are older!

enjay0811 Fri 24-May-13 12:57:44

Thanks bird will have to get myself up and try before a feed and see how it goes. Good to know that it settles down too! F ends up being sick as I think she's having so much milk so quickly. Was your lo like this too?

Trishstar Fri 24-May-13 12:57:50

Didn't take it that way at all hunny! Xx

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 12:59:10

Just checked and the goodnight milk is six months. Also trying to get a bigger feed in at bedtime here. So far she goes 5 or 6 hours on a good night. 3 on a bad one!

Marking place to moan post later grin

Trishstar Fri 24-May-13 13:41:37

Just saw this response about Aptamil 2 milk

Hi I'm one of the advisors here on the Baby Careline. Hungry milk has the same amount of calories as the first milk however it is a curd dominant milk which means it digests slowly in the tum and makes a baby feel fuller for longer. For this reason it's ideal to be used at that awkward time when it's too soon to wean onto solids but a baby is getting hungrier. Many parents also find it useful to use for the bedtime feed to help settle a baby for a good nights sleep. It's absolutely fine to use both the first and hungry milk side by side in a ratio that suits your baby. However never mix them in the same bottle. You may also find that using the ready to feed more convenient if it's just for one feed. I hope this is helpful!

Interesting xx

LikeCandy Fri 24-May-13 13:42:05

enjay I have the same issue - I seem to have copious amounts of milk so at night we feed side by side so she can pull away easily and excess milk runs out of her mouth - it's messy (need to do it on a towel!) but it seems to work.
Most feeds end up with milk spraying all over the place, but it's more noticeable at night as the duration between feeds is longer I suppose.

I asked my GP about when I could try and get pregnant again and he said to leave it at least 6m after c section. Since we've had baby we haven't discussed having another but DH knows I want a second soon as I'm on a 5yr career break and it'd be nice to get both to school before I go back! (If I go back!!)
Undecided though - it might be nice to have a very spoiled only child!
I really enjoyed being pregnant, I would definetly ask for a c section next time!

mama you homeschool? that's something we're considering.

num3onway Fri 24-May-13 13:46:11

That's a good idea to use hungry milk as a night feed! Unless your lo is already on it I suppose lol!
Note to anyone considering hungry milk - you may need next stage teats for it to pass through!

Trishstar Fri 24-May-13 13:50:14

H isn't on hungry milk already so I might give it a try! I use NUK 0-6 months medium feed whole tho I did pre empt all this and got the large feed hole too xx

Rivergirly Fri 24-May-13 13:56:03

Hi finally found you all - life has been hectic but we are getting into a routine - well until half term hits us next week!!

Ruby is a very hungry baby so the idea of using hungry baby milk for the bedtime feeds sounds like a good plan. I had upped the bedtime bottle for the first time last night - she has been having 4oz feeds during the day and feeding every 3 hours in the night so went for 5pz last night and she managed to go from 8pm - 1am and then til 5.30.

DancingLola Fri 24-May-13 14:44:32

Marking my place...

Had a terrible night last night, E just wouldn't settle, was trying to feed constantly (I think mostly for comfort rather than hunger) and howled most of the night. I don't think I've ever felt this tired! Gave him a bottle with a few ounces of formula eventually as my nipples needed a rest, and that settled him enough so I could take DS1 to school, but we've only managed 2 hours sleep in total since with him wanting to feed every hour again.

It's really starting to get me down, hmm I can only comfortably feed off my left side, the nipple on my right is really sore from where he bit it hard & split it in the underneath. I had hoped to exclusively breastfeed until we got to the weaning stage, but I think I may lose my last shred of sanity before that! I might try mix feeding and breastfeed during the day, and a bottle or 2 for overnight to see if that helps things. It's just so much more complicated than I remember!

Sorry, selfish post once again.

usernamegoeshere Fri 24-May-13 16:04:32

Baby had sleep yey! From 8-11 then 12-2, back to sitting around playing fetch the dummy and glaring at me now though.

I added an extra feed in the mid evening this week, am hoping it will help her fill up for night time, finding the idea of formula top ups very tempting at the minute but trying not too.

Oooh she has just dozed off again! Fingers crossed this is a proper sleep rather than just toying with me when she knows I'm meant to be cooking a full roast dinner and pudding and not even cleaned kitchen yet.

Bugger, yeah she was just pretending, gahhhhh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now