Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - Weaning is (messy) fun, what does your baby eat?

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 21-May-13 08:01:59

Previous thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/postnatal_clubs/1756625-November-2012-When-are-they-going-to-sleep-through-again

Please give your baby's favourite foods so we can get some ideas from each other.

Evilwater Wed 29-May-13 21:23:33

Hello all,
Another argument here, this time over what to give N for food. Me wanting to give N our food, and P wanting him to stay on Ella's. MN jury, is in my favour.

5 weeks to go, till I'm back to work. Still no KIT days, and I really don't want to go back. I don't want him to go into nursey, he's such a sweet wonderful boy, I want to spend lots of time with him. Why is this so hard!

Evil

Kyzordz Wed 29-May-13 21:23:37

evening all, will try to remember everything but don't shoot me if I don't will you, my head is fuzzy. e has had one of those whingy days that drive me bonkers, he got pissy with cheese spread on toast but ate two cubes of butternut mixed with two of parsnip. but then for tea he wouldn't touch chicken and sausage casserole with mash. I reckon its the mash as some of you have said its pretty stodgy and I think he isn't keen. He hasnt wanted finger foods today or had as much of an appetite but I am not worried, nope nope nope sings it loudly. he seems to eat pureed root veg so I am going to use sweet potato as a base, or one of the others, and add things to it. I still do not understand him but I am telling myself we will get there!

glad j seems lots better vq hope solids gets off to a good start tomorrow.

det I think I am put off making e purees incase he sticks two fingers up at me, I just worry I will not maintain my calm outer self. also if he refuses I will feel bad that he has missed a meal because I am daft.

pass was it a good day? what did p think of lentil soup? I got some lentils for the lovely lentil recipe I read but haven't made it yet. I have done pureed apple today, that is all, am rubbish and must do veggies tomorrow

madam hopefully once youve both settled into your roles things will calm down, it must be hard for you both.

good news about the formula bplp

erm...

pr e seems to like toast but gets quite pissy sometimes because he literally rams a whole soldier into his mouth. try as I might to leave him be blw style I just can't do it, I am too scared he will choke. I hate being so afraid. he loves finger food but I cannot relax sad

ermmmmm

horseylady Wed 29-May-13 21:29:22

Yup tens machine. Erm can't remember the name. It's in my room. Yeah it pulses or something. No guarantee it'll work, but to try for 6 weeks. She said I may never have bad a decent pelvic floor. Erm, well it's sustained some damage as I had control before they cut me open and all the way through pregnancy!!! She said I controlled the area with my core.

I'm not even supposed to do pelvic floor exercises just use this machine daily!! Fuck!!!

I feel quite down about it actually.

Anyway.

Yay for tiny cakes, whiskey and frowns pass

madame hugs. My motto is always in your final few weeks would if matter? No, then it's not really worth fighting about. Unless you have pmt.

det your dp is something else!!

TheDetective Wed 29-May-13 21:30:59

Kyz one of these days I will get O eating on film. He chokes a lot, but I just let him get on with it now, and don't interfere unless he was to go blue!. I offer him water when he chokes, and he takes it gratefully!

Passmethecrisps Wed 29-May-13 21:31:39

Good job kyz <holds up a score board of 10>

It was a good day, thanks. It was about university entrance which is a major part of my role in school. It was all quite serious and I enjoyed getting my brain back round stuff that I could happily blather on about for hours and hours and hours teacher bore

And it sounds like E is becoming a champion nommer. I meant it when I said we were weaning buddies. I got quite upset the other day because p takes so little when eating solids and point blank refuses anything off a spoon unless she has both fingers and her tongue in it. Well anyway, I had a moment to myself then remembered how well you had done chilling out and putting it all in perspective. I am genuinely very impressed with the journey you and E have been on.

evil the pouches are great and handy if out and about but surely the cost alone is a good reason?

QQ - are they allowed to sleep on their tummy now? M keeps rolling on to her tummy either in her sleep or before falling asleep. I keep moving her back but she likes it.

ChasingDaisy Wed 29-May-13 21:34:19

kyz if you get the chance, read your posts from a couple of weeks ago about E's weaning and you will see just how far you have come. You are both doing brilliantly, you really are smile. You're an ace mum and it is clear how much you care about doing the right thing for E. And this is all on top of looking after your mum and littlest E!

So, P has just come home from work with the news that MIL wants us (me, P and Oscar) to move in with her! shock Seriously. The last of P's siblings has just moved out and she now can't afford to pay for the running of the house. As P is the only one of her children who doesn't own their own home, we have been nominated to move in and take over the running of the house hmm. Oh and she will be able to 'help' with O. I lived there for 6 months a while ago and I ended up signed off work with depression. What planet are they living on?

Evilwater Wed 29-May-13 21:35:17

pass he dosn't care about the cost. He used to make up the formula each night, but now he pays to have the liquid ones delivered! Well it's his money.

Evil

Passmethecrisps Wed 29-May-13 21:37:36

fatima I asked this a week or so ago as P discovered tummy sleeping! I think the advice is to out them on their backs until 1 but if they roll over what can we possibly do. I am a tummy sleeper so I have some sympathy.

I was blathering to the paed who saw p recently and mentioned that she had taken to side or front sleeping. He responded "oh, great! That's good" He didn't elaborate on why it was good.

Certainly didn't feel great at 3am this morning when she woke herself up falling onto her front and discovered a veritable wildlife park of stuffed creatures for her to chat to.

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Wed 29-May-13 21:37:54

horsey will try and remember that. Have a little perspective on the things that seem to make me rage at the moment.

fatima DS prefers his tummy. I tend to put him down on his back and he manoeuvres himself into the position he has wanted to be in. Although if he really won't settle, sometimes putting him on his front works.

evil I'd move on to eating the same as you. I will be doing this with DS as soon as he has tried everything we eat and I am happy with his reactions. DD ate what we did from a young age, spicy food included, and it's just so much less of a faff.

PurplePidjin Wed 29-May-13 21:38:39

I learned to swear listening to my dad doing diy blush

I've been on a posting ban due to excessive whinging not that anyone noticed but am breaking it now because <whispers> dp has been offered 3 mornings a week working for a friend. He's been doing the odd bit of freelance marketing for them for a while, and it's turned into a nice pt job in a cosy office with fab people - we were planning on asking said friend to be godfather anyway if we ever get the damn thing organised. So current employers can stick their cheesy smeghole of an office up their shitridden arsecunts and fucking well swivel. Does that cover Wednesday and Thursday together? Won't be a fortune but enough to cover the mortgage and majority of bills before tax credits and my income, hurrah!

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Wed 29-May-13 21:39:10

chasing under no circumstances must you move back there!

Evilwater Wed 29-May-13 21:39:30

chasing OMG!
Evil

ChasingDaisy Wed 29-May-13 21:39:55

And yep, what pass said kyz.

I am also getting concerned that O doesn't seem to a actually ingest much food but I channel the wisdom of the quiche and know that he will get there in his own time. He has had a small appetite since birth so it is just the way he is built I reckon.

Oh horsey that sounds horrible. I guess with you being so fit and healthy it must feel like a bit of a blow. But your body sounds awesomely strong so I have faith that you can heal your fanjo grin

Passmethecrisps Wed 29-May-13 21:42:16

Blimey evil! Could you persuade him to share wink ?

But really, I don't see what's wrong with a combination. It's a bit like giving a child nothing but cut up apple from a packet - it is still apple but do you really want to establish a reliance on this stuff? Real food is lumpy and sometimes too sweet or too sour - it's challenging to the tongue and pallet. Ella's kitchen stuff is really nice (I sooked out about 1/3 of a packet as P won't eat it) but certainly isn't challenging. N will have to eat 'normal' food eventually so I feel you are right to t least keep offering it now.

ChasingDaisy Wed 29-May-13 21:42:59

That's awesome Pidj! You must feel so relieved. And very proud of your vvvvdp.

O is now a side sleeper, I reckon it won't be long until he's on his tum.

Evilwater Wed 29-May-13 21:45:23

Pass if you come round then yes. He want N to have Ella's only, nothing else.

I know I'm a good mum.

I've been doubting myself, and this just proves I know I'm right.
Evil

Passmethecrisps Wed 29-May-13 21:46:41

I noticed PP! I just haven't been posting much myself so didn't mention. Honest guvna! That is FANTASTIC news about the job as well. Fuck those mo-fos. Onwards and upwards.

And chasing WTF??? They are ALL MENTAL! Run away, run away as fast as you can!

kyz I am not sure if p enjoyed her lentil soup. DH stopped further nommage by reminding granny that he had no idea what the soup contained (he said if looked creamy and possibly had butter in)

Passmethecrisps Wed 29-May-13 21:48:30

Good on ya evil Your DP is thinking about the momentary while you are planning ahead. Hold firm woman!

ChasingDaisy Wed 29-May-13 21:49:55

Who is going to finish the thread?

ChasingDaisy Wed 29-May-13 21:50:10

I've never done it...

TheDetective Wed 29-May-13 21:51:25

Pidj Weds and thurs check and indeed, check! Awesome stuff! Best news in ages!

Evil DP is being a nobber. What is wrong with these fucking men, seriously?! I have a share of grips to offer.

I was a bit wary of giving O the organix fruit pot thingies I bought. But you know what, he can't have much processed stuff, so I figured the odd one won't do any harm. It is better for them to have what you make. But it isn't wrong to use jars or packets, it would be wrong to starve them! But he should be listening to your opinion.

Chasing I hope the words you uttered were off, and fuck. In no particular order grin. Fuck that shit.

ChasingDaisy Wed 29-May-13 21:51:33

Any takers?

TheDetective Wed 29-May-13 21:51:36

grin

TheDetective Wed 29-May-13 21:51:43

c'mon!

This thread is not accepting new messages.