Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - In denial about the six-month sleep regression

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 02-May-13 11:38:30
TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 22:20:32

I feel really bad, as I say, I'm not perfect, no one is, but it really made me shock. I'll put my non judgy cap back on and resume normal business!!!

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 22:22:49

Izzy I'd cut wheat for 3 weeks. On your hols that shouldn't be too hard given Spanish food - just have rice, tatties or salad rather than bread or pastry. Look at cereal and crisp packets too. As wheat allergies can be fatal it should be labeled on packaging so sadly its just a case of label checking - some labels put allergens in bold, others have a special allergy info box, others make you read the whole ingredients list (fecking bastard Asda). Always makes for a fun quick supermarket trip with children hmm

MsJupiterJones Thu 02-May-13 22:25:26

Oh no VQ sorry to hear it.

Det we've all had moments like those no matter how non judgey we are usually!

Kyzordz Thu 02-May-13 22:25:47

yw i'd really freak out at that! Am hoping to feel better after first aid thing Saturday. Was eating an apple today and e stole it, sucked it to death and then cried when I took it back! I didn't let him eat any though, not that he could get any off!

Glad weaning is going well pr and jj smile I will keep in mind your tip about butter pr smile

I am spent today. Nackered in fact! Reading Fred with much interest but that's all I can muster ATM. Loving weaning tips, am geared up to give it a go again next week -- after first aid course so I hopefully feel more confident with finger foods-- I just need to decide a plan of action still

Sooo much more I wanted to say!

Erm...

det sounds like o's formula mixing is going well! As is his weight gain, bless him!

Forgot what else!

pass bless p, sounds like she liked the melon! I did the same with e and he liked sucking on it smile

Must try this papaya business.

Plan wise, if I do puréed and finger food, do I put sticks of whatever the purée is on his tray at the same time or would that overwhelm him? When i tried before he liked puréed banana and pear but wouldn't have anything to do with veg. Do I still offer veg but have fruit as back up, or offer it and if he gets pissy just call it a day for that day/meal? I know you give it for 3 days in a row but he just clamps shut at veg or he did and like izzy I don't know how to get past that

Anyway I waffle, will piss off for a bit smile

Kyzordz Thu 02-May-13 22:28:53

Ah shit vq poor j does suffer with his wind sad hope he settles soon and dd2 is ok

ValiumQueen Thu 02-May-13 22:30:29

Good point detective. I will dig out the trusty granules. It does not affect him every night. He has had two bad evenings due to wind. He is snotty tonight which did not help and may have the bug his sister has.

A fruit shoot and a greggs sausage roll is weaning with my clients and remains basic diet for some time. Not that I am generalising or indeed judging you understand.

ValiumQueen Thu 02-May-13 22:32:51

Thank you for the kind words. I will fuck odd now as I am in a filthy mood. Grr. No doubt will be up to both tonight. Grr.

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 22:35:09

I'd just offer it Kyz and if he doesn't take it, leave him. Next meal, try again. If after 3 days he hasn't taken it, move on to the next, but remember to come back to that one at some point.

It's just my thinking though, might not be what others would do. If I could see he definitely didn't like it, I might move on quicker to the next thing.

I've done finger foods of the pureed, and other finger foods that I'd consider safe and unlikely to react to. So far he's had parsnip, carrot and banana purees, and carrot, banana, parsnip, courgette and cucumber as finger foods.

Kyz you worry too much! Believe in yourself! Stop self criticising! You are E's mummy, and you know him best! <Gives big up slaps to kyz with droopy fish remains>

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 22:36:46

Kyz I'd offer pureed sweet veg like parsnip or sweet potato before offering pureed fruit so as to try to encourage savoury tastes too. But don't stress it. Food is fun until they are one. Even when choking - the bear was quite jolly just a few seconds after! shock

Det I'm a Scorpio we wear our judgy pants up to our armpits. What a silly cow giving fruit shoots to such a wee one - I mean he / she clearly didn't buy it for themselves! I've a very sweet tooth but they're just sickly. With food if its aimed at kids its usually shit - apparently if you give LO a Petit filou a day (according to HVs today) - that works out at 2kg of sugar a year!!!!

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 22:37:41

There are 25 syns in a fucking sausage roll! Dp is gutted. He's partial to a bit of Greggs! grin

He feels sad as he said there are some foods he will never eat again as he now knows how unhealthy they are! Told him to shut up and enjoy the fact he won't be knackered mid shag anymore grin tmi.

I'm wading in shitty mud with O at the minute VQ. I feel so lost with everything going on. All I want is to know the problem, and help the poor bugger!!

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 22:39:57

Fuck that's a lot of sugar. That is almost the weight of some newborns!

I keep thinking of weight loss as how many babies I've lost. Weirdo. Keep thinking 4.5lb doesn't sound much, but when you hold a baby of that weight, you think, yeah, that's a pretty decent weight to shift!

Also a Scorpio grin blush.

Elizadoesdolittle Thu 02-May-13 22:41:34

pass DD1 loved ribs. She had them at bbqs from around 9 months onwards. We went to our local Chinese with the in laws round her first birthday and she nommed on prawn crackers, ribs and egg fried rice blush and yes, probably wasn't the healthiest but it was a special treat and no, it wasn't me that wrote the BLW showey off post!

Sorry to say it but there's no sign of a sleep regression here. In fact she hasn't had any at all. Now don't get me wrong, she's not sleeping through but she seems to have settled into a night time routine that I'm happy with.

Oh shit vq sorry.

Cacacaz Thu 02-May-13 22:51:00

Hello ladies smile also delurking

My ex boss had a patient who gave her 8 month old baby a pot noodle shock. I find it upsetting that people genuinely don't understand how nutritionally devoid some foodstuffs actually are.

I had some wonderful news today, I was offered my dream job, my face has looked like this [big grin] Dh took me out for dinner to celebrate and I had a cheeky cocktail and a massive slice of cheesecake to celebrate.

daisychain76 Thu 02-May-13 22:53:31

Well we are still in 7 month sleep regression nightmare. Rang HV today and got some advice so got everything crossed for tonight.

det l would have been totally judging. Mind you, DH remembers being given bottles of sweet tea when he was a tot!

Have discovered H loves olives today. Held one for him to have a quick suck and nearly had my finger bitten off as he nommed the lot then cried for another!

On BLW l agree some people can be ott but if you read the Gill Ripley books and website she does say leave off raw appple for a bit and gives lots of sensible advice. Personally l don‘t do the giving one thing for 3 days stuff, but we are lucky to have very little family history of allergies.

daisychain76 Thu 02-May-13 22:54:34

Congrat caca, great news!

Kyzordz Thu 02-May-13 23:01:16

Thanks both smile I will try that smile I keep letting him taste things, like the melon and the apple, but it was spur of the moment and he didn't actually eat anything.

Your weight loss is good detective, I did sw ages ago. Am a fat fuck again with no time to spare to go back. With eating out, I would double my syns for that day. Is allowed, basic mindset is whatever allowance you give, do not go over it. Don't expect to lose that week either, though I still did. I love the food at sw and have a dozen or more of the books, nomnom!

Well done to you too dicks smile

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Thu 02-May-13 23:04:10

Fabulous news cacacaz!! Well done!

ChasingDaisy Fri 03-May-13 03:03:48

Quiet on here. We had 6 nights of decent sleep but O has decided that was enough it seems.

YellowWellies Fri 03-May-13 04:04:59

First feed - a rather lovely side effect of me sleeping in a separate room - when DH brings Jonas through for his night feed he flaps his wee arms open mouthed with excitement when he sees me my boobs. Its a lovely way to wake up even if its 4 am smile

YellowWellies Fri 03-May-13 04:14:09

I should stress, reading that back, that its Jonas flapping his arms excitedly - not DH grin grin grin grin hahaha

daisychain76 Fri 03-May-13 06:37:28

grin Yw.

Up every 2 hours here ~ luxury compared to the laast 7 nights!

Pikz Fri 03-May-13 06:38:54

YW that made me grin

Well done Cazcaz wine

Right off to stop LO rolling so much he bashes his head on things...

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Fri 03-May-13 07:34:19

The whole BLW and choking thing does scare me too. We're doing a mixture - purees for getting him to taste new things and get to grips with eating. Bits of finger food while in high chair while we eat so I can eat my food without jigging him so he is included.

Well, transferring DS and the cot to his own room made fuck all difference. He stirred a few times during the evening, slept ok between me going to bed at 10 until 1am, and then was awake and shuffling about, needing dummy, odd little cry out etc every half hour or so until 4am when he decided the day would start. DD woke up as I asked DH to take DS downstairs.

WTF am I doing wrong? He cant be hungry, he has 6 x 8oz bottles of hungry formula per day, plus around 10 cubes of pureed veg/fruit/porridge. He's not apparently thirsty, as water is refused. He sleeps well and regularly during the day - usually 3 x 45min to 1hour naps and generally doesnt sleep after 4pm. He goes to bed happily between 6.30pm-7pm - he usually goes into the cot drowsy and drifts off himself ish.

If he woke in the night he used to be calmed back to sleep really easily by getting into bed with me. That doesn't seem to be working in the middle of the night. At nap time, if I cant get him to sleep on his own, if we get into my bed and I then ignore him, he seems to drift off. But not at night.

Normally I just ride out the bad sleep times, but I am back to work in 1 week, and need sleep! Any ideas how I can help him to sleep at night, and get himself back to sleep if he wakes? I don't want to, and cant, just let him cry. He'll just get more awake and angry and wake DD up who wont go back to sleep either.

Damn DH and his "once awake, the day has started" issues which he has passed on to the DC. grin

TheDetective Fri 03-May-13 07:45:43

Fucking cross angry. DP put O to bed last night as I was at SW. It's not the first bedtime he has done.

So why the fuck have I just found my child in yesterday's day time clothes complete with sock ons??? But that's nothing. He also didn't bother to change his nappy. He was in the same nappy 17 fucking hours. Im fuuuuuuurious. Fucking dickhead. My baby was soaked head to toe in his own fucking piss. angry angry angry

Oh and O was up at 3 for a night feed as DFP didn't stir him to take more of his bedtime feed last night.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

PetiteRaleuse Fri 03-May-13 07:55:35

Well I started the thread saying the worst was over? Ha fucking ha.

Anyway. The gag reflex is all very well and good, but it wouldn't take all that much gagging to put a baby off food. We've all gagged on food at some point and it can be pretty scary.

Four times during the night. FOUR. She hasn't done that since she was about a week old. Just didn't seem sleepy. I happily admit to swearing at her with a nice tone of voice.

This thread is not accepting new messages.