Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - In denial about the six-month sleep regression

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 02-May-13 11:38:30

Checking in to new fred.

Well, time did not allow for butternut squash today (twas a bit gung-ho anyway) so we gave S some apple and mango puree from a pouch instead.

She loved the taste, didnt spit any out, but she was totally confused by the whole thing. She moved her face towards the spoon, but hasnt worked out that its usually the done thing to open ones mouth to receive food.

DP sat like shock the whole time (he hasnt much experience of babies, and DD1 isnt his) and DD1 was just waiting to eat the leftover puree.

Got my hair done <swish> love it.

Still havent heard from the blasted job. sad

Pass from the other thread, we are using the minnie mouse mothercare highchair thats in argos, tommee tippee bowls, spoons and free flow cup.

Havent bought a bib yet. Get one tomorrow when doing the big shop.

Pikz Thu 02-May-13 21:30:08

Ooob well done dicks!

Pass and pr I so agree I've just bought a book called weaning made easy that explains how you can blend the methods which is exactly what I want to do and just needed advice on what foods when and how.

Am going to attempt to keep up and be a better thread person.

VQ have finally read through today's and am so chuffed for you and j

YW that is proper scary on the choking hmm

I was very chuffed with DP I got a locket with a pic of him and a pic of LO in to keep close to me for my biff day today.. I cried! Such a pansy.

Pikz Thu 02-May-13 21:31:27

Pass I have an antilop high chair and loads of cheap TT bowls and spoons as on offer and the asda pots for freezing.

Pikz Thu 02-May-13 21:32:07

Oh and sainsburys plastic bibs look in sale bit as they are two for 1.50 and amazing!

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 21:33:44

Hello! Well done Toomany! How many weeks have you been doing it now? Are you finding it easy?! I lost 4.5lb in the end. I've been really good, sticking within my syns. I've no reason not to loose it. I'm not cooking with oil or butter PR! no cheese on stuff, and no excess bread. My syns are saved for small chocolate or crisp treats (french fries or milky bars being my weak spot it seems!) So lots of fruit and veg, and new ways of making meals. I can make this a lifestyle change and stick to it.

Just worried about if I want to eat out. We haven't eaten an evening meal out for ages. A few lunches out - so I'm worrying about those when they come around!

Pass we have the Antilop, and some bowls and stuff from Ikea. I have a whole bunch of spoons, the munchkin ones because I liked the colours! as well as some Ikea ones. I have some Ikea bibs, but want some bigger and better ones. At the minute I feed him just in his vest to save clothing damage!

I also got the 70ml pots and trays from B&M for 1.99 and have 3 trays with 8 pots on each I think. I also have a mini food blender thing I picked up in Sainsbobs. Similar to the Tommee Tippee ones. Was £18. I use it for other stuff too now!

That's about it really! I want some soft water wipes for clean ups after. At the minute I'm using baby wipes, but they are too harsh on his skin. A muslin doesn't clean it all off, and I have flannels, but not enough it seems! Plus not practical for eating out. He had his first eating session out today. At baby group! He sat on my knee and took it really well! Other mums were commenting on how well he sat <proud mummy> and didn't send food flying all over!

O was 16lb15 today. Putting on exactly 1lb in 2 weeks. shock He's heading up the centiles and is now over the 50th.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 02-May-13 21:35:13

wanna sit tight, these things take time. Have fingers firmly crossed for you.

MsJupiterJones Thu 02-May-13 21:36:13

We are doing BLW with success so far - only hairy moment was when he sucked in a large chunk of roasted carrot and I thought we were going to have to upend him - but it came back out again. I help him hold stuff sometimes if it's a bit slippery and he is getting frustrated screaming.

Today my baby caught the sun so he looks like this blush and I also look like this blush for letting him. He did have suncream, hat, sunglasses and hoody on but the angle of the sun walking home just caught him. At least I think it's that - he had kiwi today (for the purpose of moving his bowels!) which I later realised is an allergen. He was really clingy this evening and quite ratty, fast asleep now.

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 21:37:31

PR the HV today gave raw apple, raw carrot etc. They also gave very acidic foods (pineapple) which I thought weren't recommended until 10 months and allergens (strawberries). I too was a bit hmm and then very shock when babies did actually choke. The HV were all 'oh the gag reflex is very powerful don't worry it'll come out' but you could tell they were bricking it too. I'm glad we tried it at the docs!!! grin

I genuinely think a bit of both - puree and BLW is the best course for us at least. My lil pudding loves purees and vampire sooking fruit and veg so at the mo' I'm going to stick with that til he matures a bit more / gets some teeth - gacky / chokey foods are just beyond him at the mo. I'm going to puree some chicken to get him started on proteins too.

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Thu 02-May-13 21:39:13

I've been doing it for three weeks now det and I've lost 8.5lbs. I'm finding it quite easy so far, I've bought the 'taste of Asia' cookbook and I've cooked loads out of it, it's ace.

kirrinIsland Thu 02-May-13 21:39:56

I am hopelessly behind as usual but well dome to J VQ You must feel like a new person now smile

YW that must have been terrifying. Must refresh my first aid course.

pidj sorry about the job sad Hopefully something else will come along soon.

N's sleep is slowly deteriorating again sad she was doing so well, but the last few nights we've been back to every 2 hours. I really can't face going back to the up all night thing again - especially as I go back to work soon. Could be a 6 month regression - the 4 month one started at 10 weeks and ended at about 22 so who knows!!

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 21:40:39

And if doing purees GET STICKERS!!! I did not. I ended up ripping bits of kitchen towel off and writing code on them for what things were! Duh! Got stickers now and cut them to size!

Pikz DP sounds very thoughtful! Good man! Happy birthday!

I'm going to go to the library to get a few different books on weaning. I keep saying I'm going. I have been saying it all week and haven't yet achieved it! D'oh!

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Thu 02-May-13 21:41:30

And 4.5lbs is amazing, well done!

PetiteRaleuse Thu 02-May-13 21:41:31

shock

That is just irresponsible yw

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 21:47:47

YW that is the approach here too! Just a minefield of what to offer and what to avoid. Hence why I want the bloody dietician appt!

This month me and O have appts every week. Some weeks, two appts. I have smear/fanjo pain x2, and O has dietician and jabs I forgot to go on monday!!!! when they post out the new appt but will assume it will be in next 2-3 weeks. blush He should also have an appt back at paeds clinic where I work. He has one where I live too. Might go to both...!!!

So glad I am not at work - because how the feck would I juggle that on full time hours????

Toomany I'd be grateful to know any good recipes you have tried! You don't need to type them, just which ones, I'll find the recipe! We did a couple and found them all very dry. So now we are thinking for evening meals to save a few syns to have a bit of extra sauce or whatever with it. Did a creamy garlic pasta, but it was so dry. And I was very disappointed! Same for the casserole we tried. I made a chilli from my own recipe but used no oil so it was syn free. That went well. Also the spag bol is good too, but I use extra cans of tomatoes to make it really saucy!

fruitpastilles Thu 02-May-13 21:55:16

det chilli and spag bol were always my faves on slimming world and I still make them that way now. I always used quark in things like pasta it makes it nice and creamy and is free.

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Thu 02-May-13 21:58:22

I haven't used many off the website det, I cook a lot of curries and Chinese food out of the Asia cookbook, the Kung Pao chicken in there is amazing! I tend to tweak normal recipes to make them syn free like you have.

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 21:59:00

I feel really bad today. I actually judged someone for something. So not like me! Totally not like me! But I couldn't help it! The thought was there in my head before I knew it! Would you have done the same?

At the baby group a mum came in with her 9-10 month old, and he was sat up in his pram drinking a fruit shoot. My second thought was oh I bet its water or watered down juice or something in there. But the group leader made some comment to her, and she said oh he won't drink anything else, just fruit shoots.

9-10 month old baby?? Surely this is a bad thing!

I know theres shit loads on MN about fruitshoots and pombears but I'm not fussed usually. But such a young baby, it looked so very wrong!

She is an educated mum, older mum, professional career etc. So not naive. Judgy pants now away. I've done crap parenting at times too. I feel bad for judging. blush blush blush You can all shout at me now! <Runs away and hides!>

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Thu 02-May-13 22:08:34

yw not so good about that probably being an intolerance then. What do I need to cut out do you reckon?? Wheat? Gluten? I'm clueless!!!

Donnadoon Thu 02-May-13 22:09:02

Are they full of sugar then Det ? I've never tried one...kids have occasionally but they older than 10months grin

Marking place for feeding catch ups

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 22:11:33

Yeah, full of crap. I happen to like them of course! grin. The strawberry ones mostly. I just wouldn't give them to a baby!

Izzy Not a freakin' clue either! YW is your laydeeee!

ValiumQueen Thu 02-May-13 22:13:23

All fucking gone wrong tonight. J will not settle with wind from ranitidine and beyond hysterical. Quiet in pushchair at the mo so hoping he will calm down. DD2 puking so I have been running between the two. DH works late on a Thursday. Was meant to be out tomorrow with a pal but have cancelled. Fucking bollocks!

A 9-10 month old only likes what you give them. And would never have got hooked on fruitshoots if they werent provided.

I would judge too Det and I normally couldnt care what people feed their kids. But thats very young.

TheDetective Thu 02-May-13 22:16:01

Shit fuck and bollocks VQ sad

I've got gripe water for bad wind times. He's ok generally, but do you have any in which you could try if it starts again?

BigPigLittlePig Thu 02-May-13 22:17:31

Det when working in A&E one night, a father asked me whether there was a vending machine - I told him the nurses could get him tea/coffee whatever, and he said "no, it's for some pop for the baby" and came back with a can of something for his not-walking baby. Judgy pants nearly came out my mouth they were so far hoiked up.

This thread is not accepting new messages.