Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 - They're on the move

(313 Posts)

Hello everyone. Hope you all find us safe.
Welcome to any newcomers too.

DD just tried to brush her hair with a hairbrush. Very clever!

Hi everyone.
I've been around, just under a nc for my recent troubles.

Penguin blimey, you must have had your baby by now. Hope all is well with you.

DD still not saying anything yet and still bfing.
I'm trying to wean her off so no longer expressing at work and she has cow's milk or water while I'm at work.
When I'm home I'm trying to distract her when she asks for milk, but still always give her milk in the morning and at bedtime.
And not feeding her outside, as I'm expecting to start getting funny looks.

Well, hope you're all alright and dc are happy. X

ThedementedPenguin Sat 05-Apr-14 10:45:25

Hi just thought I'd check in and seen there had been movement here.

So today is my due date for baby girl but no signs. I've had 3 sweeps so far and lost my plug during the week but waiting very impatiently now. Hope she comes today.. Otherwise I don't want her to arrive for the next 4 days.

Ds doesn't talk a lot says
Mummy, daddy, nanny, granny, Jack, Sally, tea, please, sorry, hi, bye and is trying to say Granda. He very much copies what he hears. Rest of the time it's just gibberish which is very cute.

He is still not sleeping through, currently is up twice a night sad we had him either up once or up early but since clocks changed he has been a nightmare. Any ideas on how to fix this? Dreading when baby comes as I can imagine how hard it's going to be with 2 getting up.

How are you all getting on? And all the lovely babies? Well I should really say toddlers now smile

Macaroons Sat 15-Mar-14 14:41:12

Glad to hear from you all smile weather is so great today, enjoy!!

cjbk1 Wed 12-Mar-14 20:55:45

I'm feeling ok mostly thanks but got heartburn and a headache tonight after work and Pilates so I'm off to bed ASAP wink

Hello. It's brilliant to hear your dc are talking. DD doesn't say any words yet but does nod and shake her head in all the right places!
I've been lucky that she sleeps well since going in her own room but has been waking early and I could really do with a lie in. Or an early night!

Cjbk1 how are you feeling? Only a few months left now.
And hope Penguin is getting on ok x

cjbk1 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:45:29

wasn't ready to post that; she has aptamil with a bit of cows milk sometimes she can't tolerate other toddler milks but the other day she was even sick after that shock
as for talking she says our names and lots if things that she sees & just now she said "nan-nan toast" it was actually my toast but good effort and she'll point and name her/our eyes, nose, mouth, ears, teeth, hair etc and she'll fetch her socks and say "hello socks" really cute...she's still in a lot of 9-12m clothes which is really different to how her brother and sister were...no idea what she weighs now tho...hope all well x

cjbk1 Mon 10-Mar-14 15:32:20

I'm just in a cupboard waiting for our patient; she takes aptamil cannot take

Macaroons Sun 09-Mar-14 21:43:26

Hope the travel sick issue will get better when she's older. I wonder it's anything to do with the milk she takes? My son took aptamil first milk, but when we tried to switch him to aptamil follow on (tried the one for 6m and also the one for 1-2 yrs old) he went sick v easily. He's fine with SMA and he's now on cows milk. Maybe try something different.

Macaroons Sun 09-Mar-14 21:41:09

Cjbk - lovely to hear from you! What sort of things does Ava says? My son babbles a lot but I can't understand much, apart from bubble, open, bye bye, park, daddy, mama, yup.

He just turned 18 months today. How time flies!

cjbk1 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:05:48

she gets travel sick very easily

cjbk1 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:04:55

Yes Ava will be 18m on Monday, I'm
going to make another half birthday cake for her grin she went mad over chocolate orange pudding the other day so I think she'll like it, she refuses to get into her pushchair 90% of the time now, she just wants me to carry her when tired which is hard, but we've just bought a double cheap on eBay so hopefully we'll get some use out of it, she's talking very well too but still wakes once in the night,
-- and she gets travel sick very easily-- looking forward to hearing from others wink

Macaroons Fri 07-Mar-14 21:18:27

It's been a while since I posted, how's everyone doing? Can't believe our little ones will be 18 months so soon!!!

Hi inthebeginning welcome.

Wow, how exciting, among all the other emotions, for you.
I love babies this age, they're learning so much and developing a real personality.
My DD is dc2 and her older brother is 3.6
So we have a lively household of toddler tantrums and fighting/screaming etc.

I hope it all goes well for you and you have your DS with you in no time.

Hi everyone,
Wondered if I could just dip my littlest toe into this thread? We are adopting a little one who should be with us in May. He was born sept 2012 so does fit here. I don't have anything to share yet obviously but am buying lots of stuff and trying to keep myself occupied by dreaming about what he'll be like. X

Ahem, sorry.
Hello everyone.
Just checking in.
DD is hot on biting her brother at the mo. And as she's now taught him to do it, (he's never done it before) we have to referee between them.
I just put her in the step for it and she did stay there. I think she understands from.seeing DS there!

I have an overdue friend and her lovely big bump and baby talk is.making me majorly broody. But I am still wearing my sensible head.

HELLO

Kind of glad to hear dd isn't the only clingy one shoes. I wouldn't say she is overly shy, a little bit. She really, really doesn't like men she doesn't know though and can be a bit odd with the likes of my mum if she's in my house and not in my mum's own house, the environment she's used to seeing my mum in.

Hello SquidTableau, ah the temper is unbelievable here. Ds never had a temper tantrum until he was three. I actually thought hoped we were going to bypass it with him so dd's has come as somewhat of a shock. She's a hitter and a biter too which we are working on - I have to keep her nails short as actually marked my face a few times in bad temper and sheer frustration shock

It is amazing all the new stuff they learn every day. Little sponges that pick everything up.

Well hello SquidTableau, good to see you.
Yes, dd loves a good tantrum. She copies ds and lays all over the floor and rolls around screaming.
She also lays herself on the bottom step and has a moment.

Most of the time she's a little love though. She'll get away with allsorts as she grows up. It's the little face! (that's just like mine)

SquidTableau Mon 13-Jan-14 21:50:36

Happy New Year ladies! (Poster formerly known as NightmareWalking here smile)

Here we are having proto-tantrums when we forget to let DD get the post, or don't let her climb on the sofa and so on, a taste of whats to come! She surprises each day with what she's picked up. WhereAreMyShoes - DD is so shy outside it's like she's a completely different child sometimes!

Bed routine here is teeth - bath - massage - pjs & nappy - story - bed. We've been reading a bedtime story since she was about 3 months old, it's just a nice cuddle quiet time for us all. She is sleeping 8/8.30 ish through to 9am most days.

Hope all you little ones and (bumps too!) are coming along nicely.

Penguin, I don't read to either of the DC at bedtime. We have a fairly quick bedtime routine. DS stands on the toilet lid and DD sits on a cabinet in the bathroom and they both clean teeth. Then I have a go too.
Then bath, if they are having one that night.
Nappies, pj's then DS in bed light off. Then bf DD and bed, light off, lots of crying.

I've been doing the shred for 13 days but am really on day 10 as had 3 days off so far.
It's hard, and I hate exercise, and I have really painful knees due to bad joints and weighing too much.
But I am loving this DVD. I only had days off because I had a funeral and my knees were fucked.
It's made such a difference to my side on view and my arms are getting really toned. I've lost 7 cms off my stomach!
I'm on the shred thread on here. They're really helpful and supportive and it really motivates me to get it done.
I'm also going to try fasting as I still have fat to lose.
I'm going all out!

Ballroom, DD is seriously clingy.
She's quite shy too so when we're out she hangs on for dear life!
Luckily though she's alright when I'm at work, good job she's quite a daddy's girl. She's usually climbing on either one of us.

Oh shred shoes.. some of my mates have done it and say it is exhausting.

It was a bottle penguin but I suppose if you've tried that you could try a cup? If he's taking full bottles though it sounds like he's hungry rather than for comfort. Have you tried supper before the bedtime bottle (you probably have)? Like Weetabix that would be heavier on his stomach. I had to do that for dd a while back but have just gone back to the bottle now as she eats constantly throughout the day.

No I don't do the reading thing as yet. During the day yes but not at night. I'll do when she gets a bit more interested in books, same as I did with ds.

Can I ask are any of your babies extremely clingy and how you cope with it? Dd is driving me batty atm. I can't even go to the toilet without her screaming the place down. If I leave her to do dishes when her cartoon is on she'll follow me down to the kitchen and scream 'peppa pig (or whatever it is)' over and over again until I go and sit down to watch it with her. She literally has be clambering all over me, standing on my feet, wanting up in my arms all day long.

ThedementedPenguin Wed 08-Jan-14 15:06:05

Can I just ask, do any of you read to your dc? I've read so many threads on here about tucking kids in and reading to them. We just tuck ds in and leave. He generally goes to sleep quite quick at bedtime, we have no issues there. Am I the only one that doesn't do this?

How long have you been doing the shred shoes? Is it hard to do?

Happy New Year all.
Sorry to hear some of you are missing out on sleep. I had to do CIO with dd in the end as She was waking for comfort feeding and kept getting off the bed.
So once I put her in her own room I had to just leave her. Any going back in to calm her down made her even angrier!

She still sometimes cries to sleep but it means she sleeps all night so we're all happier in the long run.
She now sleeps from about half 7 till 7ish.

I'm on a keep fit frenzy, doing the 30 day shred. It's hard but I'm noticing progress so hopefully this year I will be free of baby weight. And bingo wings.

ThedementedPenguin Tue 07-Jan-14 13:52:10

ballroom no he takes a full bottle every time he wakes up, whether it's once or three times a night. We tried water but he went nuts. Although that was a while ago so I might try it. Did you give it to him in a bottle or cup?

Was only up once last night so it wasn't too bad.

I tried CC too (as well as gradual retreat) penguin. CC made dd worse to the point she started screaming as soon as we went up the stairs to her bedroom. My hv recommended for me just to CIO but she's such a clingy, attached to my hip baby even during the day to me it seems cruel - so I ignored her advice and will just lie if she asks grin

I think one of the main reasons she does sleep during the night is she doesn't nap at all during the day now except maybe once or twice a week. Despite the fact she could use a nap half time as she gets very grumpy in the afternoons because she's tired.

Is your ds actually drinking the milk penguin or is a comfort thing? Only asking as ds did that for a while when he was a baby. Wanted milk but only took an ounce or two. I started giving him water instead and he stopped getting up looking for milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now