Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2012 - They're on the move

(325 Posts)

Hello everyone. Hope you all find us safe.
Welcome to any newcomers too.

DD just tried to brush her hair with a hairbrush. Very clever!

Moominlandmidwinter Mon 10-Jun-13 15:13:22

Shoes, am sorry to hear about you and your DP. However, you know when something isn't working, and it's better (IMO) to put an end to it than trying to flog a dead horse. Have been there with my ex-H, but unfortunately it was a bit of a rough ride (and still is sometimes, nearly 8 years later!). It wasn't a mutual decision though, which makes all the difference.

Leetleloo, wow! Congratulations! I had been wondering the other day when there would be the first BFP of the post-natal thread. I knew that it definitely wouldn't be me, as I've got more than my fair share of children! With regards to going from 2-3, it really isn't that big a deal (or going from 3-4!), I think that the hardest adjustment is going from 1-2. At least with having a small gap between DC2 and DC3, DC2 won't really remember being the baby for long.

Lola is now pulling herself up on everything- furniture, legs, hoover, etc. She's also just started cruising. It's funny to think that she'll be walking in the next few months.

I have just one week left before returning to work now. I'm dreading it! What's worrying the most is DH's inability to drag himself out of bed in the mornings, but he's going to have to do the school run, to two different primary schools (plus a secondary, come September), with Lola in tow. I just hope that the girls get to school on time, with breakfast inside them, hair done, and the right equipment!

ThedementedPenguin Mon 10-Jun-13 21:21:19

cjbk when do you go? I wish I could go on holiday. It would be amazing.

moomin hopefully when you go back to work your dh will be a bit more forceful at getting up. I suppose he will have no choice, hopefully he will surprise you.

Herbie is such a grumpy baby when it's warm, he refuses to go to bed all day, won't eat then just cries all evening. My goodness does it wear you down.

Has anyone else changed car seats onto the next stage? Herbie is way too big for group 0+ car seat so we bought him a group one today, he just laughed while sitting in it. He looks so tiny in it, compared to the old seat.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, Herbies baptism went great, the service was very long due to it being st. Columbus Day, but the BBQ went great. We even had 6 unexpentant guests but it was fantastic and the kids had a great day on the bouncy castle and paddling pool. Although it will take a few days for the garden to dry out again after everyone being threw into it.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

meXem Tue 11-Jun-13 01:00:01

Hey everyone! I've Not spoken on here for a couple of months blush and have just spent 20mins trying to catch up but realised that was never going to work, so i'm sorry if I repeat things that may have already been spoken about or asked blush

I hope everyones ok and enjoying their 8month+ yr olds. Charlie Iris is quite a little madam these days and takes great joy in blowing raspberries and crawling away at top speed if she hears the word "no" or "stop" It is especially funny if she has an audience, like nanny(my mum), or the witch DP ex gf!

She's been on purees since 4months and is quite happy munching through most things these days, although very partial to babybels and marmite sandwiches this week!

She has also been on her first Barge race and dressed as a Pirate for the occasion, and looks so funny in her lifejacket grin

I only have one problem to ask about tonight and that is, bath time. Charlie hates it. As in, screams to the point she poos, then hyperventilates and takes a good 15mins to recover after she is removed from the bath. It's SO traumatic that I've been putting it off, which i'm sure only makes it worse. What can I do to make it less scary? Pls Help!

xx

cjbk1 Tue 11-Jun-13 13:03:20

penguin we're going in just over a month, once again it's a huge deal for me..can't wait x

Moomin, neither dp or I are morning people but we're managing really well so far with me back at work. Hopefully you'll get into the swing of it soon.

Mexem, hello, good to see you. Time is going so fast.
I'm sorry you're having trouble with bath time. I can't help really, the kids like the bath. I stick them in together now and just let the older one dunk around and splash water everywhere while making sure dd doesn't go under. She likes sitting up in the bath and trying to stand but can't quite stop from slipping yet.
Have you tried a shower instead? My ds hates the shower so haven't tried it with dd but might be worth a shot.

Cjbk1, sounds like you're trip will be fantastic. I've never been anywhere on a proper plane so have no advise. Sorry. <useless>

DP and I are getting on well. It took us getting to breaking point for us to talk properly about building it back up again.
First on the list is to have some time together, alone. We've not been away from the kids together ever. For nearly 3 years. Chips in the car is probably a good place to start!

leelteloo Tue 11-Jun-13 22:05:24

Canada is so beautiful. I used to spend summers their staying with my godmother. They are such kind and friendly people. You'll love it. Don't worry about the flight, I took dd when she was under 2, on my own and we managed. Hardest part is them not having their own seat but I made sure I had one of those seat with more leg room and let her sleep on the seat and I kind of curled up on the floor with my arms round her ifyswim.
So no ds has the dreaded pox and is really poorly and just covered in spots. I feel so bad seeing him in pain. Just want to have well kids again; feels like forever.

Oh no Leelteloo. Bloody chicken pox. Hope he gets better soon.
I absolutely dread either of them getting it.
We've all had a cold this past week and are all wiped out from it.
It's one of those things that you forget how awful it is until you actually go through it again.
like that god awful hand foot and mouth

cjbk1 Wed 12-Jun-13 12:31:24

thanks leelteloo it's a great shame you had to curl up tho and weren't upgraded shock which airline? we're going with air Canada, staying in Toronto with Dsis then planning to go to Montreal too to give her a break, sorry to keep on I did try 'travel' but no help x

meXem Wed 12-Jun-13 17:05:07

wherearemyshoes Unfortunately I do not have a shower on the boat [Blush] but I do have a crappy shower head extension thingy on my bath taps so will give that a go, I don't think she likes the sensation of sitting in water so we will give that a try.xx

Haven't been in for a whole so congratulations and best wishes and good luck to all who need them!

DD loves the shower. And the bath. And the swimming pool, my little fishy.

DH is way for a few days so I cooked DD some lamb with rice and ordered a curry... now I'm watching DD tuck into my lamb bhuna!

Still no crawling here but she can get everywhere she wants by rolling and sliding on her bum! Poor poppet went to hospital with me today and everyone ignored her waving at them while I was waiting for my appointment... the lovely nurse made up for it by finding her some strawberries to eat whilst I had my injections and commented on how good she was, always nice to hear!

Macaroons Wed 12-Jun-13 23:09:13

Hello all. Sorry haven't posted for a while, will try to catch up properly! I read chicken pox but forgot who is the unlucky baby and mummy, hope its all cleared now. Am quite tempted to get the vaccine (NHS doesn't do it though so has to be done privately...)

leelteloo Thu 13-Jun-13 06:19:41

I didn't even know there was a vaccine? My poor baby is in so much pain and so poorly that I would definitely have had him vaccinated if I'd known.
Last night was dreadful. No sleep at all. He has blisters everywhere and can't settle. Just as I got him off dd cried out; went in to her and she had been sick in her bed. Cleaned her up best I could but this woke ds. Then took hours to settle him and dd called out again: sick in the bed again! Change of sheets no2 and ds woke again and we've been up since. Was no point in trying to make him lie down. So we are downstairs watching in the night garden over and over again! As if I'm not tired enough with this early preggers business!
Massive yawn.

ThedementedPenguin Thu 13-Jun-13 17:06:17

cjbk I hope you have a fantastic time. I am not in any way helpful with regards to flying as I can barely get myself ready for a flight. Maybe trying reporting in Chat or AIBU.

Hi mexem good to hear from you. Herbie is the same with crawling and blowing raspberries. He is soaked now at all times.

leelteloo I hope your ds recovers quickly from chicken pox and you get a better nights sleep.

Nightmare your dd sounds great. I can't imagine anyone ignoring a baby waving but I suppose they might have been stressed. I'd be waving back like a fool smile

Herbie is not himself at the minute, really tired and not eating properly. Well is getting better but still not great. I'm not sure whether he teething or just something in his system.

He is crawling like mad, is a wee bit slow but is fast enough for me iyswim. He is also climbing onto everything. It's crazy how much stuff you have at home that suddenly becomes weapons or tools of destruction.

Can't believe my wee boy is 9 months tomorrow. Feels like an age from he was born but like it was yesterday.

I couldn't believe she was ignored either Penguin - my faith in humanity was restored when she fell in love with the lady we sat next to on the bus home who let DD stroke her sleeve & chatted to her all the way home. Herbie sounds like his movement is coming along great! The last 9 months certainly have raced by.

Yes there is a vaccine for CP leeltleloo - I'm considering it for DD or possibly DH as DH hasn't ever had CP and doesn't much fancy having it as an adult.

DD has a new hat courtesy of Grandma - now we just need some sunshine...

leelteloo Fri 14-Jun-13 11:20:05

We just put an offer in on our dream house!!!! I have always driven past it & thought how wonderful it would be to live there. We can't really afford it but we'll struggle through till I get back to work. I'm thinking of child minding to get some pennies while I'm at home. Anyway it's very very exciting!
Constantly starving for carbs and exhausted so hopefully leetle3 is growing.

How exciting Leelteloo! Fingers crossed you get it.

leelteloo Sat 15-Jun-13 15:14:33

We got the house!! They didn't accept the 1st cheeky offer but they did the next grin. I am in shock: I feel like I have struggled in this tiny house for 6 years and now I know life will be better. Watching our children grow in that house will be wonderful (& there is space for me and dh to get away from each other which will save our marriage wink)
Fingers, toes and everything crossed the chain holds and we actually get to move in.

Macaroons Sun 16-Jun-13 23:08:56

congrats leetleloo! how exciting!! fingers crossed it will go through!

too sleepy to read the rest of the thread, DS is teething and was crying for ages in the car today... will try to catch up tomorrow!

ThedementedPenguin Mon 17-Jun-13 09:39:57

leelteloo congrats on the house. Hope everything works out for you.

Herbie is being to clingy to me. Cries if I leave the room, it's so annoying and frustrating. Won't be held by anyone else except for Dp.

He refuses to go to sleep now, and when he does finally go to sleep he wakes every hour and wants to be cuddled back to sleep but I just can't do it. Anyone any suggestions on how to fix it?

Hello everyone, Leetleloo, congrats on the house! It's all happening for you!

Penguin, Lola is also doing the clingy thing. She was waking very frequently but (touch wood) has been going through from about 9ish-5.30. I'm afraid to say that before, when she woke up a lot, I just brought her into my bed. Not very helpful, I know!

I went back to work today. It was fine. The blow was softened a little bit by finding out that I'd won £80 in my lottery syndicate, but if we had one more number I would have had £300,000! Nevermind! Lola was a good girl for her daddy, but wouldn't drink much milk. She had 2oz on her breakfast, but would only have another 2oz. DH kept trying, but she was having none of it. She ate well though. She had a big feed when I got home, I just hope that she won't want to feed all night long, as I'll need my sleep now that I'm back at work. We will see!

couldsleepforahundredyears Mon 17-Jun-13 20:30:08

I know I may face a backlash here but I did controlled crying a while back, when I reached the end of my tether. It worked a treat and now DS sleeps 12 hours straight (unless ill or teething...in which case I will always pick up for a cuddle). Have you ever considered this, penguin? I know its not for everyone but I really think it was the best for us all in our case. My boy is happy in the mornings and so is mummy! it has in no way effected him badly, much to the contrary!

ThedementedPenguin Mon 17-Jun-13 22:51:59

couldsleep we did cc ages ago and it worked great at getting him to sleep at night and for naps. He still woke for a bottle and went straight over again but recently he will cry for an hour or two before bed.

He stopped eating there for a while so didn't want to do it during the night or refuse foods so just kept giving him a bottle and I don't mind this. But he wakes loads. I just go in, pop dummy in and tuck him in then leave. Will figure something out.

couldsleepforahundredyears Tue 18-Jun-13 05:50:11

5am starts are never good though! Sometimes he does this and I usually don't mind so much but not good on one of my working days...only got 4 hours last night, my own fault as I went to bed really late. Shattered. How will I stay awake at my desk!!

By the way big congrats on the house leetleloo. Hope it works out and goes smoothly.

Penguin, hopefully this is just a phase, last week when DS had a virus I didn't get more than 3 hours sleep at a time..For over a week! I'm still reeling from that...

Penguin, I hope Herbie settles soon.
I don't know if I'm expecting too much of dd as she's goes to sleep on her own now after about a minute of grumbling, then will sleep in her cot till 4am. But then she'll wake and come into bed for a feed, and she drinks quite a bit, then doesn't really settle again till I get up. It's wearing me down and I'm finding work difficult but feel I should he grateful she actually sleeps in her cot at all.

Maybe at the weekend I'll leave her good back to sleep on her own at 4.
It's like she's got an alarm clock! She's do precise.

leelteloo Wed 19-Jun-13 12:18:30

Ds wakes at 4.30 on the dot too, like an alarm clock. He often is just getting back off to sleep when dd wakes at 6. But I am thankful for that stretch of uninterrupted sleep between 7 & 4.30; I never had that with dd, she woke hourly!!! She still get me up more in the night than ds. I went to bed at 8.30 last night to catch up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now