Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 - They're on the move

(313 Posts)

Hello everyone. Hope you all find us safe.
Welcome to any newcomers too.

DD just tried to brush her hair with a hairbrush. Very clever!

It was my first day back at work today and it was fine.
The kids were good for DP and DD even drank a little milk from a bottle. shock

Bad point: I have a blister on my toe from the 1 mile walk each way. Stupid weird feet hmm

Ballroom and Penguin, I hope the sunshine is finding its way over to you.

Once DD is asleep I'm finishing the bottle of wine I've been trying to drink all weekend wine

Nightmare, hopefully tonight you can have some quiet. You deserve a medal!

Moominlandmidwinter Tue 07-May-13 20:00:58

Hello all, have just been catching up on the new thread.

Wherearemyshoes, glad that your first day back went ok. I'm a bit in denial about returning to work. I've got just under 6 weeks to go.

Lola's Christening was lovely. We had a slight hiccup with the reception venue double-booking, but it all worked out ok in the end.

Lola is very nearly crawling, but I'm not convinced that she'll ever crawl in the traditional way. She does a sort of 'caterpillar'- she gets on all fours, brings her legs forward, dives forward and collapses, and repeats. She's getting quite efficient at moving about, and is getting in to everything!

DH is off to Berlin on a stag weekend on Friday, so I will have the 4 DDs to myself. He asked me what I'm going to do with myself during the 3 days he's away- I replied that I can think of plenty to keep me busy! I am going for a spa day in London next week with my best friend, as between us we have 9 dcs, so felt we could do with some pampering. The only problem is, since we booked 2 months ago, Lola has decided to no longer drink milk from a bottle. I will be away from her for 10 hours, so I'm worried about her not taking any milk. I also need to start weaning her off the boob for my return to work. I'll be working full time, and don't really want to be expressing at work.

Ballroom and Penguin, I'm going to be over in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks, as Lola and I are flying over to see DSis for the weekend. Hope NI gets some sunshine then!

ThedementedPenguin Tue 07-May-13 21:14:49

I've had a great day in the sun. My shoulders are burnt. It was so warm so I took the 2 dc down to the mall (big green area on my town) and we played with a football with my two sisters. It was a great day.

Ballroom I've had loads of great days where I am. Although today was the hottest. We had a week in a while ago and it was great.

I'm gutted that its meant to rain here tomorrow. Could do with a few more hot days.

Hope the blisters heal up whereare

Spa day sounds great, would be so nice to go out myself and relax. I hope the weather stays dry for you Moomin this weekend.

Still need to catch up.

Yippee saw some sunshine today!! Ahh you see you're further inland than me penguin. You lot always get the sun when us lot round the coast don't. Sure I never saw any snow this year either.

Wee boys of two and four are brilliant fun nightmare. Three was the tricky age with ds. Good luck with the babysitting.

Glad you had a good day back at work whereare. Is it strange being back or did you feel like you'd never been away?

Does Lola take any milk from a bottle from anyone else moomin when you aren't there? Seems to be a common problem I've heard from the bf mums in the baby classes that they have trouble weaning from boob to bottle. A spa day sounds like bliss. Lucky duck!

Well never mind finishing off your bottle of wine whereare , I think I've drank everyone's quota on here the last week. Bethany has turned into a complete nightmare re/ settling to sleep. I don't know if it's a strange house, bit of teething/separation anxiety or the fact that her dad let it slip about about singing her to sleep so he's prob rocking her too.
She's never been about to self-soothe during the day but has always been great at night. Now it's screaming until she's choking. I've tried cc and gradual retreat business but I give up too early and cuddle her to sleep then. Soon as I lift the wee madam too she settles down and she's asleep in five minutes. The words 'rod' and 'back' spring to mind. I did cc at the start months ago and it worked (but she was a baby then in my eyes and not a little person she is now so it was easier)but don't see the point in starting when her dad's taking her this weekend. Dunno what to do. Feel so sorry for her when she crying like that. Think I'm getting soft in my old age.

Oh good about your first day, wherearemyshoes, and I'm very jealous I a spa day Moomin!

Ballroom we're having trouble with Kerenza's sleep after our break, where she seemed to go down ok and then wake up panicking on the half hour and now she's doing it at home too, I've tried leaving her to self settle but can't stomach leaving her to cry, I'm too soft I think! It was bad enough when she kicked off on the m'way yesterday and wouldn't be comforted. Argh. Just a phase I'm telling myself.

Ahh you see I'm the same nightmare. Cant listen to the crying now and makes me feel a bit sick tbh. I think when they're younger, for me, I can do the likes of cc because they aren't little people, they're babies in my head but now she is a bit more grown up I feel so terrible just listening to her cry.

Ds would have slept through a bomb. We used to have parties in the house and he wouldn't have peeped. Still sleeps very heavily (thank goodness) - wee woman screams bloody blue murder and he's snoring away.

Isn't it awful how just two/three days away can make such a difference with them?

Forgetfulmog Wed 08-May-13 09:03:05

Really random question coming up - if any if you bf, do you also have bad dreams (kinda like nightmares?). I've been having a lot of then recently & wasn't sure if it was to do with hormones???

Forgetful, I don't get bad dreams now, but I did when DD was first born. Ones where I woke because I could feel the house falling down from underneath my bed. Was really distressing. Only hormone related thing I'm getting at the mo is very strained nerves and moodiness. But I think that's mainly down to constant broken sleep and a very trying toddler.

I've had a shit day. The kids have been stressing and crying, neither have slept today and I'm back to work again tomorrow.
Hopefully my long weekends will be a bit less stressful.

I definitely put my head in the sand about going back to work Moomin. I left it till I had two weeks of SMP left before arranging returning to work. But then I didn't spend the months leading up to it worrying about it I suppose.

Forgetfulmog Wed 08-May-13 19:38:40

Good luck for work tomorrow shoes,I hope you get some sleep tonight. smile

Yeah I've had a few dreams where I lose dd or can see her but can't get to her & I put that down to anxiety. Fun times eh?!

leelteloo Thu 09-May-13 16:44:29

I'm not getting enough sleep to have dreams right now wink. Ds cutting top incisors and dd up to her usual 'wake5 times a nite' tricks. Double yawn and thank goodness I didn't crash driving to London today; the whole 3 hours I was fighting to keep my eyes open.

Gaw blimey Leelteloo, that sounds hairy!
I hardly drive nowadays (as I've got nowhere to go and live a mile from work and town) but I remember the days of driving so tired you wonder how you made it in one piece.
And I avoid London at all costs. I'm far too much of a pushover to get through the traffic!

DD doesn't have any teeth still. But sympathies for you. I love sleep, I would pay good money to have a full night of silence and comfy pillows.
I never appreciated sleep before I became a parent. envy

Moominlandmidwinter Fri 10-May-13 09:34:04

Well, that's DH off to Berlin until Monday sad. I've made a bit of an error actually, as I've booked my smear test for Monday, forgetting that he wouldn't be back in time to look after Lola. I had psyched myself up for having on Tuesday this week, but the surgery rang on the morning, and said that the nurse had phoned in sick.

Ballroom, Lola won't take milk from anyone else, either. However, I've bought some different bottles, and managed to have a bit of success yesterday- she drank 3oz of formula, and then fell asleep. It may not sound like much, but it's definitely progress! Will try again this morning, and then again this afternoon.

Leetleloo, there is no way that I could drive to London. I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to driving. DH normally does the majority of it. I'm freaking out at the moment, because DD2 has an ice-skating party in Coventry on Sunday, and although it's only 10 miles away, I'm worried about navigating the horrible ring-road. I feel silly working myself up about it! Have even considered taking the 4DDs on the bus, but I know that is just daft.

Forgetfulmog, I haven't really had any nightmares (well, apart from dreaming about exH last last!), but I do have some very vivid dreams. I've also been feeling a bit 'odd' recently, can't really put my finger on it, but I put it down to shifts in hormones due to bfeeding.

Wherearemyshoes, hope work is going ok, and you are feeling a bit better! I feel very stressed some days, I dread to think what I'll be feeling like when I'm trying to fit 37 hours per week of work in!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. smile

ThedementedPenguin Sun 12-May-13 22:00:57

Okay I've caught up but there's no way for me to respond to all. So I shall just say I'm hoping everyone is doing good and all babies are great. :D

forgetful I've been having strange dreams recently although I don't bf so don't know why I'm having them. I woke up the other night singing the bloody alphablocks song. Couldn't get the bloodly thing out of my mind haha

I've started a thread on sleeping issues with my niece. I'm due to have her this week and could do with some advice ASAP. I'll link to it and if anyone can help that would be great.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/1754381-Help-needed-re-sleep

Hope that works.

leelteloo I hope you've managed to get some sleep.

moomin any chance Lola would sit quietly throughout it? How has the bottle feeding going?

Oh all this talk of driving makes me miss my car more. It broke 3 weeks ago on Thursday, I've picked it up twice and both times I've barely made it home then left it up again. It's cost me over £100 so far, and not getting it back for at least a week!! I'm getting used to walking but I'm so unfit it kills me as I live on a hill. Just want it back. Although dps mum said she will price how much it is to add me to her insurance.

Herbie is very nearly crawling, he can get from sitting into crawling position but then just bounces back and forth. Hopefully be on the move soon.

Forgetfulmog Mon 13-May-13 08:32:43

Penguin - dd has just started doing this too, just bouncing back & forth & crying because she can't move anywhere! It must be so frustrating being a baby!

cjbk1 Mon 13-May-13 21:08:07

hello again all, so; Ava completely weaned herself off the boob, her tummy/bottom wasn't better on fri so a stool sample was sent, off no results yet but two normal nappies since but we've been here before and this is still on the very simple foods I'm going to wait for any results before we build back up to what she was eating, work are still messing me about; even the dentist doesn't know when there are tutorials (ie no nurse needed) or not and she takes loads of holidays and we're missing the money so won't have our own holidays Dd1's had a recent serious problem at school not behaviour
which is upsetting and I think ds is reacting to this and not being very 'nice' at times....ooh here's baby now woken herself up, take care all x

ThedementedPenguin Tue 14-May-13 10:29:17

Hope everything is okay cjbk1 and that it all gets sorted out in school for your dd.

I am exhausted today had about 3 hours sleep last night. I have both Herbie and my niece at night this week and it was tough last night. Went for walk this morning so both are asleep atm. Just counting down the hours until 7 when Ellie's dad comes and takes her for the night. Sounds awful but I'm already desperate for a break.

So great things happening here, my Dp is now a df. We got engaged last night, have a temperory ring until my engagement ring gets resized. It's so pretty and I'm annoyed I have to wait until next Sat at the latest but will hopefully be ready by this sat. Now got to start the planning.

Hope everyone is good. smile

Forgetfulmog Tue 14-May-13 11:22:02

Oh wow! Congratulations penguin! Do you have a date set? Hope you get some sleep soon! Dd is feeding every hr at night so I sympathise smile

Congratulations Penguin! grin

ThedementedPenguin Tue 14-May-13 15:08:15

Nope no date set yet. Haven't even told anyone yet. I don't want to tell anyone until I get my ring but my df (strange) keeps saying do you see Rachel's ring. It bugs me as I want my proper ring.

Macaroons Tue 14-May-13 15:17:06

Hello all. It's been a while since I last posted. Hope you are all well, and your babies too! There's lots to read up on and I haven't got that far yet, but I did see that penguin got engaged! Congrats!!!

We flew with baby mac last month to visit grandparents and great grandma. I have to say he did behave better than expected on the flights! We got back yesterday. Hope he copes well with the jetlag (he coped better than myself and DH on the way out!)

Maternity leave will soon be over, have emailed the nursery and the first choice location won't have any space till January !shock There's some availability at the second choice location but its a little further away from where we live. (20 min walk vs 12 min walk) Guess we don't have much choice!!

How are you all doing?

leelteloo Tue 14-May-13 20:23:41

Congrats TDP!! Wonderful news. grin

Congratulations Penguin! Sounds like you're going to love the planning!
I am so unorganised with things like that, we got engaged 4 1/2 years ago and that's as far as we got. shock

Cjbk1, sounds like it's all ups and downs in your house at the moment. I hope things settle down soon. thanks

Good to see you back Macaroons. I hope going back to work goes smoothly. I have a 25 min walk into town for work and it's the best part of my day grin. Lovely morning air and earphones. My little bit of calm.

3oz is a good start Moomin. dd sometimes only takes 3oz herself.

Poor Ava cjbk hope they something sorted for her soon.

Wow congratulations penguin

Where did you fly to Macaroons? I've to take the two los by myself on the flight in a couple of months. Dreading it!

ThedementedPenguin Wed 15-May-13 21:29:02

Thanks everyone. It's so strange and I am finally getting round to telling everyone. I might do the dreaded thing and announce it on fb so I can tell everyone at once without the hassle haha

I can't wait for the planning but it is going to take ages. As we have zero money ATM so will take ages saving up. Plus I'd like another baby before we get married. So maybe 3 years time. Of course we haven't discussed this yet but I'm sure he will be on board.

Hello Macaroons it's great to have you back smile hope baby mac is coping with his jet lag. Hopefully baby mac will settle into nursery no problems for you. Would you move him come Jan or just leave him be?

Heading any where nice ballroom?

We are doing great here. Herbie is coping great with me having Ellie this week although she does scare him a bit. She is very jealous and you can't leave her for a second at all. Gets very frustrating.

Oh and she has major nappy rash, her whole butt is bright red and quite a bit is bleeding, I've put it down to teething and being using metanium (sp?) anything else I can do to ease it a bit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now