Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Starting weaning, what does your baby eat?

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 25-Apr-13 07:35:43
YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:50:20

yet wahoo

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:50:09

a thread

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:49:59

finished

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:49:40

not

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:49:32

I've

ChasingDaisy Thu 02-May-13 20:48:22

Oh gosh YW that must have been terrifying. I really must do a baby/child first aid course.

I'm allergic to strawberries. Brings me out in a rash on my face. Or it did when I was a kid. Haven't bothered trying them again since, not worth the risk.

P annoying me today. Moaning that he had a 'migraine'. I don't think men know what a migraine actually is. I told him he certainly didn't have one if he could stare at his phone/TV for the whole evening and paracetamol and a glass of coke cured it.

Got me worrying about how I'd look after O if I got a migraine though. I get blind spots and can't see very well when I get one confused

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:47:43

VQ my darling am so glad you and J are getting the sleep you both deserve. Hurrah! Can't wait to see the wee man.

Izzy yep sounds like an intolerance. Its more reliable and less painful for them to test by elimination though.

Det oh god heard all those lines about reflux and intolerances too. Am I bad to wish them an anaphylactic reaction to their next meal just so I can reassure them its just a fad? grin

Clarella we found omeperazole tablets in water (our preferred brand is losec MUPS) works best for the bear.

BigPigLittlePig Thu 02-May-13 20:47:06

Fruit there are some advantages to being sofa pinned by a napping baby grin

BigPigLittlePig Thu 02-May-13 20:44:15

Clarella ranitidine is also very minty, although I have no experience of omeprazole to compare it with. F initially didn't like it, but now hoovers it up, complete with lip smacking. Sorry you're having such a tough time. Why won't dh give the gaviscon?

Clarella Thu 02-May-13 20:43:33

oh god yw! how scary! I'm surprised about the strawberries as they're a known allergen for many kids and they quickly stopped giving them on the fruit into schools scheme as a result.

issimma Thu 02-May-13 20:40:52

We have the ikea antilop highchair plus tray. I like it. Plus a load of tommee tippee bowls and spoons that were on offer in the supermarket.
Dd has asda's version of the stokke chair - fab but a bit wobbly 2 years on.
Ds has nommed on banana x2, cucumber, steamed and mashed pear. Will keep giving him bits of fruit and veg until 26 weeks when he'll get what we're having as much as possible.

Clarella Thu 02-May-13 20:40:41

I cant wait till weaning!

thanks for advice - tried again but even less than 0.5 ml made him gag and choke till we thought he'd stopped breathing. needs 3.5 .ml. tried diluting in ebm. it's just plain disgusting and thick.

gdoing to try n speak to doc after kit day tomorrow. it's just all taking somuch time.

tempted to ask for ranitadine. does that taste better?

dh pissing me off. I know it's cos I'm stressed about work and leaving him in charge of all this stuff. I know he won't give the gavisgon tomorrow so I'll be knackered and have an unsettled baby and then s shit night. angry

fruitpastilles Thu 02-May-13 20:38:56

Oh my god yw I'd have shit myself if that was me and not known what to do, really should get on a first aid course!

fruitpastilles Thu 02-May-13 20:37:14

I'm gutted I've just clicked on that link bp I got mine off amazon for £7 sad

YellowWellies Thu 02-May-13 20:36:36

Pass we have £16 IKEA highchair, £1.99 IKEA bowls / spoon set, I'd like to get some painting plastic tops to go over his clothes and am thinking of just taking his highchair into the garden when he does finger foods.

The weaning club at our old docs was fun if a bit scary with a refluxer. He proper stopped breathing / went purple clawing at his face / had to be slapped on the back by the HV / choked TWICE due to a combination of BLW, his reflux gag reflex and his gluttonous desire to try to put a whole oatcake in his wee maw.

HV nearly shat themselves - my heart was in my mouth. shock shock shock shock shock Another wee one did the same but sicked it all up like the vomming racist from Little Britain. grin

Think we'll stick with purees and nomming sticks of fruit and veg for a while before he has gacky stuff like bread sticks / oat cakes again. He can't quite handle them. Was surprised at the foods the HV offered - some stuff was quite allergenic - strawberries (which gave him a rash) carrot and yellow pepper were his favourites.

BigPigLittlePig Thu 02-May-13 20:29:47

I got mine off ebay, but Asda do these which are similar.

Passmethecrisps Thu 02-May-13 20:28:13

Yep. Perfect base for soup chasing

Passmethecrisps Thu 02-May-13 20:26:20

Where did you get your pots from?

I really want to get everything I need. Now now now now now now now

BigPigLittlePig Thu 02-May-13 20:25:52

You'll be able to have some lovely vegetable soup instead chasing!

ChasingDaisy Thu 02-May-13 20:23:54

I got very excited filling all my ice cube trays with purees! Which O will probably not be eating now hmm

BigPigLittlePig Thu 02-May-13 20:18:14

Yep, exactly what fruits got grin

Also got super excited at freezer pot filling

fruitpastilles Thu 02-May-13 20:13:16

Oh and I bought some ice cube trays with lids and some little 70ml pots for the freezer. I got excited when I got those to start making all her purees need to get a life clearly

fruitpastilles Thu 02-May-13 20:10:37

We don't have a high chair yet, I sit S in her bumbo with the tray on and put her on the kitchen work top to save my back hopefully going to get one this weekend, but that's been a good substitute for now. Just got some crappy tommee tippee bowls and spoons, cheapo ones but they do the job.

Passmethecrisps Thu 02-May-13 20:06:38

Sorry. Total cross post. No shortage of papaya advice out there then!

Right duders. What are you using for weaning?

I would like to know:
High chair
Pots and shit
Spoons
Any other shiz you have.

We have the grand total of nothing. Diddly diddly squat. This baby will be eating out the cat bowl with a crudité fork.

Passmethecrisps Thu 02-May-13 20:03:02

fruit papaya is like a cross between a mango and a melon. It has snotty seeds inside - just scoop them out and chuck them. Use a spoon to spoon out the flesh and mush with a fork. This is if you want to spoon feed. If you are offering as a finger food just cut into sticks.

This thread is not accepting new messages.