Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Starting weaning, what does your baby eat?

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 25-Apr-13 07:35:43
Catbag Thu 25-Apr-13 21:34:18

mm Shit, she really is crazy. I would just keep doing what you are doing and stay as bland as possible. I am inclined to think that the other women are trying to do the same thing (ie carefully withdrawing), otherwise she would have accused you of slagging her off, rather than turning people against her. Don't be drawn.

kyz wooo! Congrats to your mum!

vq I am pissed off on your behalf that you have had to fight so hard each time you have been in to see the gp. Well fucking done for standing your ground x

YellowWellies Thu 25-Apr-13 21:34:34

Evil sorry cross post. <hugs> that must have been scary shock

Evilwater Thu 25-Apr-13 21:34:38

Congrats on all the weaning.
Evil

Passmethecrisps Thu 25-Apr-13 21:36:50

Awesome ratings JJ! I share the sad face at celery. It is bleaurgh.

Penelope's favourite things to nom are her fingers, my fingers, her own feet, ikea bear's arm, captain calamari's tentacles and my hair.

She liked playing with a spoon today. She found it highly amusing.

No actual food stuffs.

TheDetective Thu 25-Apr-13 21:37:17

Helloooooo!!

VQ go you! Tears and snot no matter... it gets the job done! Have you given his first dose? What dosage have they started him on?

Kyz Congratulations! Shes gorgeous, saw her pic on facebook earlier!

Weaning is going utterly fantabulous here. O progressed to carrots. O likes carrots. O also liked sucking on cucumber like it was one of his teething dummies. Had it in his mouth sideways one, while I desperately tried keeping hold of the damn thing!

I am not sure how well we are going to be able to stick to the 3 day thing, he just seems to want to taste everything he can get near at the minute. Hence the added cucumber.

In the best news ever for me we have had NO FUCKING VOMITING! SLEEPING!!!!!!!!! AND NO GRUMPY BABY!!! Except at dinner time. Par for the course that is. He hates it when we eat hmm.

Oh my word. I just got a total de ja vu feeling then. I have no idea why. Weird. confused

I am so thankful that O has done better with food. He is taking a 70ml pot of puree. He would take more. Except I won't defrost a second pot for him greedy chops. That is twice a day too. He hasn't dropped his milk, and is in fact taking more. <Sobs loudly with relief in to quiche bosom>.

Tonight, I joined slimming world. Time to get this bastard fat off. I've never done it. God help me. I have no idea what I am doing, other than 30g of cheese? Are you kidding?! I'm fucked! Any tips from anyone? Other than read the book?!

Evilwater Thu 25-Apr-13 21:39:57

I'm just.....well.... Stunned. Not sure what to do now. He's calmed down now, but he's under alot of stress.

Obviously, he's not going to be with N alone.

Evil

BigPigLittlePig Thu 25-Apr-13 21:40:28

Detective slimming world is what my bezzie has been doing. About as clear as mud to me...but she's lost 2.5 stone yes read the book So glad to hear O is better, let's hope all the other refluxers follow suit.

BigPigLittlePig Thu 25-Apr-13 21:40:59

Evil have you spoken to him about it?

kirrinIsland Thu 25-Apr-13 21:42:35

Offline for a couple of days and I've missed half a thread I think. I don't know why I'm surprised - I know how much you lot can talk!

I've only skim read so apologies for anything I've missed:

Congratulations to kyzsnr I saw the photos on Facebook - she is gorgeous. I hope you're doing ok with all the kids kyz - I am tired just thinking about it.

Sorry the GP was so shit VQ but at least you've got the px. Hope J does well on it.

Luis Hope your knees give you a bit of a break soon, and I can't believe you are even existing on so little sleep, never mind rustling up curries.

byzoan that nursery sounds brilliant - it's great that she's getting so much support, that's how it should be.

mm crazy lady clearly has too much time on her hands!

Eliza hope the house goes ok - it does seem strange that they want to delay. I'd be thinking the same as you about that I think.

MrsJ love the ratings grin

ValiumQueen Thu 25-Apr-13 21:42:51

Marking...

PetiteRaleuse Thu 25-Apr-13 21:43:46

Evil we are here. Please don't feel lonely. You have had problems with DP before. Have things improved? Was this 'just' a momentary blip?

MM ignore the bitch. Rise above the playground tactics. My ex CM has been putting it about that I am an abusive mum (she hit my child, not me) and that I put crap in her lunchbox (yeah right). Ignore. Ignore.

To those talking about Nutricia(?) They are Aptamil, same group and they do stage two formula for hypoallergenic, soya only and whatever you might need. We have it here. If in doubt stay on stage one and supplement with iron rich food (though careful re constipation). Iron is the big difference between stage one and two milk as their iron supplies run out at around six months. If they are being weaned then go gently if staying on stage one as st1 has extra vits etc that by stage two is unecessary.

Stage one replicates, as far as is possible, breastmilk. So if you HAVE to stick with it for diet reasons just keep that in mind when weaning.

I would offer to buy and ship but that will be fucking expensive.

Lily311 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:47:33

I am thankful for the two glasses of red wine I had. Night all.

Evilwater Thu 25-Apr-13 21:47:41

Tired to, but he's focused on his work and studying for his exams. It looks like he just can't cope. Ill try again tonight.

Evil

Evening all! Had a fab day out shopping, M has been an absolute star.
I'm shattered and DH is downstairs watching a film til midnight so I've jumped at the chance to get an early night in my bed instead of the air bed in Ms room. Will catch up with the night feeds

kirrinIsland Thu 25-Apr-13 21:48:47

Cross post evil sorry. That sounds scary - have you talked to him about it. Does he recognise that he was losing control?

No idea about slimming world detective sorry, but good luck. I had been considering WW but I think exercise is what I need really fat chance, pun intended I need to tone up my flabby tummy sad

Passmethecrisps Thu 25-Apr-13 21:51:43

evil that sounds scary. Don't know what to suggest but I am glad you have some support.

Poor weewellies choking on his meds! Glad he is better now though.

I am sure I have mentioned this a million times but my parents are convinced my brother had reflux and CMPI. He cried all he time, wouldn't eat and didn't sleep more than 2 hours a time until he was over 2. My mum begged for help from GPs but was told he needed more TLC this putting the blame firmly on her. I told the dietician about this and the fact that he is now, well, a fairly odd adult. He is awkward, struggles to relate to anyone and is an extremely fussy eater. She reckoned that years of pain when eating would do that to a person.

My lovely MIL firmly believes that babies need to cry as this develops their lungs. She says that every baby has a 'crying 2 hours'. Thinking about it she must mean colic. DH referred to it as torture by ignorance.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 25-Apr-13 21:51:57

Evil the pragmatist in me wants to say tell him to google shaken baby. It's scary. Might make him think once he is calm? Crying babies are horribly stressful. I have a very low tolerance for crying -the noise drives me mad, as it is supposed to do to make us go to them - and I understand people wanting to do anything to make it stop. And shaking is a natural but dangerous reaction - do you remember Louise Woodward? It mustn't happen, but does. Maybe pre-empt him with a chat about how when baby gets stressful to put him down and walk away?

Good rule for all new mums with colicky babies. If you can't cope, put them in a safe place and leave. No baby ever died from crying even if a bit of our soul dies

Havent really been on these threads, cant keep up grin

Sophia was born 13/11. Am I the only one not weaning yet? I was following advice and waiting until 26 weeks.

Passmethecrisps Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:11

Thanks PR. Nutramigen 2 should be given to babies at 6 months. Their website explains this. I find it breathtaking that GP's and consultants don't know this. You are right as far as I know - supplements will be necessary if staying on nutramigen 1.

MsJupiterJones Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:23

Evil I am really sorry to hear the situation. How horrible to feel you can't trust your partner with N. And a lot of additional pressure on you. Vitamins are good but keep talking - here & RL.

MM I remember you talking about the woman, she sounds deranged. Very childish and weird behaviour. Distance definitely best kept.

I saw my Mum's weird neighbour today, she asked to see the baby so I got the car seat back out of the car. Just as I did so she said, "I hate babies, but don't worry I'll make all the right noises". I mean wtaf? I've just unstrapped and retrieved my pfb from the car so you can pretend to admire him? I couldn't even think what to say, the MN standard "did you mean that to sound so rude" just didn't begin to cover it.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 25-Apr-13 21:56:35

I don't mean cry it out btw; just leave baby long enough to calm down. I think dh and dps -men in fact -sorry luis there are surely exceptions - find long time crying harder than we do.

That said post partum I was in agony when my two cried. Did anyone else get that pain? Ow. Period pains * 20.

I have had no answer to my question <nags quiche> is there a 6 month growth spurt? Anyone?

Passmethecrisps Thu 25-Apr-13 21:57:05

No wanna. There are a fair few. I will be waiting as P shows categorically no interest.

S has finally stopped pushing the calpol out (we have had two colds and teething) but even though she has good head/neck control shes nowhere near sitting up!

MsJupiter shock who could hate babies? And if you do, keep it to yourself!

ValiumQueen Thu 25-Apr-13 22:08:31

Gosh. So much. Thank you for your kind messages. I feel far from strong, but Mama Bear did make an appearance.

It is the Nutramigen stage 2 we have got from next px. It is from 6 months of age.

JJ that is crap of the hospital! Try ordinary? Like fuck you will! Twats!

MM stay strong, but quiet. You have done nothing wrong, but for an easy life may be best to just nod and smile sweetly. Remember you have three quichettes nearby so there will always be someone available if you want to chat over coffee x

J has been given Timodine which has hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation, nystatin anti-fungal, benzalkonium chloride antiseptic, and dimeticone water repellant barrier. Not used it yet, and should be used sparingly.

He has ranitidine liquid on order. Did not see dose.

DD2 got in a fight in nursery and has a black eye coming up.

I will be on slimming world as soon as my period ends.

My boob still hurts after a week. Not as bad, but a painful reminder. I still feel very sad about it all, and having to fight every step does not help. The Doctor made me feel like I had Munchausens by proxy today. I am so glad I have this Fred to support me x

BigPigLittlePig Thu 25-Apr-13 22:10:00

Wannabe no weaning here yet. F is 5 months and 1 day old. If you squirt the calpol into her cheek she is less likely to spit it out. She might make a shock face though!

DH cannot cope with Fs crying either. It drives him mad. I have hopped out the front of the car and into the back at traffic lights when she was crying, because he literally cannot concentrate on driving when she's crying. I can zone out then, as long as it's not a cry of pain.

Right, I am going to bed. I am. Bed bed bed not MN, WWF, fb or ebay

This thread is not accepting new messages.