Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 08 mums - any more for any more?

(988 Posts)
JumpJockey Wed 17-Apr-13 21:02:20

New thread! Hope this is ok smile

Artichook Wed 24-Apr-13 14:46:23

Gosh that is young to be talking about vampires. Did DD1 sound worried LadyT? I'm not sure if I mentioned but DD2 listened to me read DD1 'When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' and now incessantly asks about Hitler. It's not an easy subject to broach with a 4 year old. She keeps asking who I'd ask to adopt her if my choices were Ms Hannigan (from Annie), Bill Skykes (from her adapted Oliver Twist) or Hitler...

The great think about this hospital is there is a Daunt Books opposition. They've said I can have an hour out while we await the results. So Daunt Books here I come. Any recommendations for good reads (I've taken not of yours Effie!)? I think I need something relatively cheery right now, and something with a gripping and distracting story line.

Artichook Wed 24-Apr-13 14:48:24

X-posted Effie, I'm in Chelsea & West. There is a Peter Jones just up the road so DH could be dispatched with a list. I've spoken to him now and we agreed he should stay at work and rush to finish stuff for now.

ShadyLadyT Wed 24-Apr-13 14:57:07

She did sound worried. She is quite an anxious child as it is. I tried to make vampires sound a bit silly and insist they only exist in books and films. However, I am counting the hours to the first vampire nightmare because she has a horror of things (animals, even mosquitoes) biting her.

Book recommendations (yay for Daunts, a gorgeous bookshop): I am not very up on current books but I did have Running Like a Girl for my birthday - a memoir of someone who has never done any running before who takes it up and now runs marathons...supposed to be uplifting and has been recommended to me by several people. I remember enjoying The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch (a gripping, rather gothic tale); for sheer gorgeous comfort reading, you can't beat The Cazalet Chronicle by Elizabeth Jane Howard - a real delight. The first of the four is The Light Years. Anyway, I am sure there will be a lovely display.

ShadyLadyT Wed 24-Apr-13 14:58:48

If you end up staying there, Arti, a lady who lives in my village is Head of IT there so I can send things to you grin

Honsandrevels Wed 24-Apr-13 15:26:18

Oh arti, that's rubbish news. What is your bp? Anything over /90 meant an overnight stay in our local hospital. Don't worry about practical shopping stuff, easily sorted. Keep drinking too. Keep those kidneys busy.

LadyT I love End of the Affair. So moving.

Artichook Wed 24-Apr-13 16:29:22

Blood results are back and looking OKish so I can go home! Thanks for keeping me company on this most boring of days. I'll get ready this weekend ahead of my consultant appt on Monday.

Hons - my BP was 155/85 so I scraped under the /90 mark. My booking BP was 90/60 so it's climbed quite a bit and I had 2+ protein but the full bloods were surprisingly normal. Lets hope they stay like that. I am glughing large bottles of water.

DeidreBarlow Wed 24-Apr-13 16:36:49

Yay Arti that's brilliant news you can get home!

I'm now making notes on all the book recommendations. Been ages since I read anything really good.

Another good day for dudesboy.....

Honsandrevels Wed 24-Apr-13 16:50:00

Hurray arti! Brilliant news.

McKayz Wed 24-Apr-13 16:56:27

Great news Arti!

JamInMyWellies Wed 24-Apr-13 17:02:23

Super news arti!

Hurrah for another good day for dudes.

I am a bit ashamed to list any of the books I read as they are all tosh. But here goes. More Tea Jesus, You Had Me At Hello (romantic tosh), The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed OUt A Window And Disappeared a few of my recent reads.

But I saw you mention When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. That is one of my all time favourite books! Have you read DD1 the 2 follow ups? They follow her life until she reads adulthood. Just brilliant!!!!!

EffiePerine Wed 24-Apr-13 17:19:27

Arti that is fab grin. Here's to a peaceful few days.

Hooray for Dudesboy!

EffiePerine Wed 24-Apr-13 17:22:42

Jam: am seriously considering password protecting my Kindle so no-one can see what twaddle I read on a daily basis. With a bit of leavening from books I have read a zillion times before. I'm afraid they might take away my English degreegrin. Yours sound positively cerebral.

Rubena Wed 24-Apr-13 17:45:18

Ooo, not so good news, then great news. Glad for the happy ending Arti! I thought dh was there tmrw and was about to instruct him in with emergency supplies but he's at Mary's, and you'll be home grin

Also good news Dudes. Glad to hear Dudeboy a bit happier.

Want to ask also about biking and toddlers but will have to come back.... Dinner, kids and possibly sick rubes boy so gotta run....

Vagolajahooli Wed 24-Apr-13 22:26:33

Crikey Arti, what an emotional rollercoaster. Hooray for the C&W keeping a close eye on you. I loved working there felt more like hospitals back home. How are you feeling in yourself Art?

Hooray for dudesboy!

Ok I'll admit it I'm interested in that app book Effie. I only learnt about the Pics about 5-6 years ago and was a bit fascinated. But I thought they didn't know much about them. I guess with ancient history they can use a little artistic licence.

Now drinking water is good but small & often is best, don't want to over work them. Also try to limit sugery foods & drinks if possible. Apparently soy based protein is good for pre eclampsia but too much soy isn't good for baby boy pregnancies so maybe go easy on that.

Rubes we have one cycling boy in ds1 so experience there but I am not encouraging ds2 to cycle without his training wheels because once he is off with them he will want to cycle to school like his brother & everywhere we cycle which is well...everywhere.

Vagolajahooli Thu 25-Apr-13 11:58:33

Did I break the thread.

beans37 Thu 25-Apr-13 12:56:36

Yes Vag! Heh heh!

Arti, so glad all ok. Don't forget kiddicare deliver the next day, so always good for emergencies!

DD2 just had a horrible tumble outside Playgroup and has massive bleeding grazes all down one arm and swollen knees and a cute little graze on the end of her nose!

DB how is DS doing? Sounds like he might have turned a corner?

Loving the book chat. I f people like vampire type stuff, a high quality end of the world/zombie book is The Passage by Justin Cronin. I've just read the second in the trilogy called The Twelve and it was also v good.

Had book club last night. Reviewed The Woman who went to Bed for a Year, which was ok. And have chosen, My Dear, I Wanted to Tell You as out book this time. Meant to be pretty good. Suspect I'll weep!

Dog's on heat, so having to mop the kitchen floor rather a lot. Yuck.

X

Vagolajahooli Thu 25-Apr-13 13:39:04

What!!!! Why???? I don't want to know do I.

I got my first assignment back I only got 69%. She got picky with some of referencing & she wanted headings & a table of contents, it was a 2, 500 word essay FFS. Also I wasn't critcal enough, I knew she would pull me up on that I realised not long before handing it in that she would want that but it was too late to try to cut stuff out and fit it in. As it was I introduced an argument towards the end but didn't elaborate enough as I simply ran out of word count & time to skim other areas so lost marks there too. A friend who is doing a teaching masters through the same Uni said they mark their masters students particularly hard at this uni so I guess I should be happy.

More bad money news, we didn't figure inVAT to our London quotes so still have a bit to pay to have the balance paid DH is sorting it now.

Also, worst news of all a good friend from Derby has been diagnosed with a grade 3 cancerous lump in her breast. Ive no idea about breast cancer but that doesn't sound good. I'd love to go see her, she has three gorgeous kids, the eldest is ds1's age. Not fair.

Rubena Thu 25-Apr-13 14:19:10

Weird night of ds vomiting and high temp but seems ok after ibuprofen so gone to pre school today As its only a half day.

Sorry bout your friend Vag. Gosh you're having a bad run with friends and bad news. Life def not fair at times.
I reckon that's a good result for first assignment! Least you know what to improve on etc and they are tough there. You'll only go up from there.
Yes I can imagine it would be difficult at the age when they want to rude everywhere in a place where that's what you do for main transport!
I was wondering what most do at this age as I've realised it's not doable to ride straight from the house so need to go to the park really and prob is i can't keep up with ds if I'm on foot so need to ride myself with dd on the back, but then i cant get my bike onto the car roof myself etc. what on earth do people in London or busy places do? Ds hasn't got the road sense / experience to just ride with me from the front door. Im prob not explaining myself well.

Urgh beans I did that for a couple if years. We were going to breed from ours as she has a great pedigree and I had always wanted to but then I decided no way too much work with young kids around too & we got her fixed. Hope dd is ok.

Summer are you there? I was wondering, did you end up selling your P&T? We have t used ours in ages and thinking I could do with selling it.

Gosh I'm relieved about this school thing. Just talking to ds's key worker at Pre school and her son goes there. Says its a brilliant school and she uses the breakfast club s d after school club in an ad hoc basis and it is really good. Going to be perfect for the odd time I'm away and can book it at late notice and online. It's all very reasonably and I didn't realise it was all going up be so convenient. Also pleased that dd will stay at current nursery now.

Dudes. So glad ds is doing well.

Rubena Thu 25-Apr-13 14:20:46

Ride not rude obv.

Rubena Thu 25-Apr-13 14:42:57

Arti
What garden furniture did you buy?

Honsandrevels Thu 25-Apr-13 15:05:53

Rubes There is someone I drive past regularly who has some sort of contraption which fixes the front of her child's bike to the back of hers. On the way home (downhill) the child is no longer attached. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Artichook Thu 25-Apr-13 15:22:58

Rubes, is there not a pavement outside your home? DD2 does ride her bike to school. Our route involves: pavement outside our house, she can bike up to bollards which mark t-junction of main road (she knows she MUST stop at bollards); I then walk her across the main road and we enter our local park where she is free to ride as fast as she wants but must stop at park gates on the otherside (she knows this too); I then walk her across another busy road and she then bikes on pavement to school only having to stop for one more small road. At this age she does understand to stop for roads, what scares me is people backing out of their drives and across the pavement. I've never really worked out what to do about that risk, I sort of just jog behind her keeping an eye out, except now I am pregnant I cannot really jog!

Today I have done IKEA and John Lewis and procured a cot, some newborn babygros, a mattress protector, a steriliser, a care seat and an unnecessary amount of make-up! So basically I feel a lot better prepared. Now that I am all ready I expect my BP will drop and I will end up going overdue!

Vagolajahooli Thu 25-Apr-13 16:00:20

I think Hons means a trail-gator, we have one of these and used it loads with ds1 to get him to the destination we wanted to ride at. We use it sometimes with ds2 now, it is ok if they have training wheels but better without so good for your ds. How far away is the park. You could do as Arti says and he could ride on the footpath while you ride on the road parallel to him. Or just use the trail-gator and detach him at the park. It clips away on your bike and is telescopic so long enough to get to him. It lifts his front wheel slightly but he can still pedal away.

Vagolajahooli Thu 25-Apr-13 16:02:45
DeidreBarlow Thu 25-Apr-13 16:24:22

Oh vag sorry to hear about your friend. sad

Rubes no advice on the bikes, DS is so slow on his it's painful! I could walk backwards and still keep up with him. DD is another matter, she's like lightening!

So DS has made it through the week. I was pulled over when I went to pick him up today. Apparently he kicked a girl for no reason. Anyway they said it was a one off and he's been brill all week. However DSs version of events is very different from Pre schools. Apparently this girl pushed him over, they both fell over and he admitted kicking out but said he never meant to hurt her hard! he also said he said sorry but the girl didn't have to because the teachers didn't see. TBH I
had no idea DS could articulate himself so well. But at pre school he just accepts that he's always wrong. I have a suspicion that DS is always going to be in the wrong, no matter what. So I'm gritting my teeth and with plenty of winewill muddled through the next few months!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now