Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Dec 08 mums - any more for any more?

(988 Posts)
JumpJockey Wed 17-Apr-13 21:02:20

New thread! Hope this is ok smile

Mckayz Sat 15-Jun-13 06:32:22

ZJ, that's quite amusing as they love pigs and used to keep them. I am making Mum a pig cake. Well decorating a cake anyway. The local bakers are making it. I've got to do Rosalie's cake yet.

Artichook Sat 15-Jun-13 08:04:23

Kayz, I have a fab pig cake design. I did it for DD2 who is obsessed. Let me see if I can find a pic. It was dead easy.

Artichook Sat 15-Jun-13 08:21:36

here it is it always gets amazing comments.

Have fun in Spain Lady. I am mucho jealous.

Talking of holidays, yours sounded fabulous Hons. I'd love to do something like that but would have imagined it would not have worked with kids. Amazing that it did.

ZJ, have another baby! You know you want to! Thirds are delicious and such a treat. I feel DS is a last treat do I stress the lite things so much less. Would you seriously consider it?

sybilfaulty Sat 15-Jun-13 11:40:50

3rd babies are brill. M is now the most chilled out fellow you could wish for, happy to play alone, with others, talks to anyone, very confident and really kind. He is my treat and I adore him. Even when he wets the bed. We've gone back to nappies as I am too bonkers right now to wash sheets every day.

Thanks for all the kinds words on my job. They want the whole thing done and dusted in a month so quite quick. When the music stops there will be 7 fewer chairs. I have pointed out a few claws in their redundancy selection procedure which they haven't been able to answer so I hope they'll pay me off to stop me being annoying. We will see.

Arti, that cake looks fantastic. I am coming to the curtain exchange in Fulham in a couple of weeks. Is that near you? Could I swing by and worship A?

Meet up - we must plan. I may have more days free than I want soon. Is an evening better? How about July before the schools break up and we all scatter? What do you think?
I propose evening of Wednesday 17 July. Would that work for people?

Am jealous of all these trips. IOW does not measure up!

Love to all.

Mckayz Sat 15-Jun-13 12:54:19

ZJ, have a baby!! They really are lovely.

Vagolajahooli Sat 15-Jun-13 21:52:44

Ironically Sybs I will be in London on the 17th but only for 5 hrs at Heathrow, waiting for our flight to Aus.

Arti I love that cake. I want to make one & eat it.

I'm in so much pain but it's all for good. I did a 30 min barbell workout tonight DB & Rubes. How are you girls going?

Lady not sure if I've missed you but enjoy Barca. There is a brilliant vegetarian tapas bar called Sésamo at Sant Antoni Abat 52 it is right near metro Sant Antoni. The big markets are there too.

Vagolajahooli Sat 15-Jun-13 21:55:20

Oh and if people start harassing you with information about free entry to bars or salsa classes hold onto your wallets & phones as they are trying to distract you to nick them. We found ourselves €40 lighter when I guy started trying to salsa with DH to supposedly advertise a salsa club.

Rubena Sat 15-Jun-13 23:27:16

Struth vag barbell workouts! I couldn't get out last night as dh was at work but nearly got decapitated on my little circuit crossing the golf course tonight, not thinking about the old twilight round on a Satday!

Sybs I'm in Spain that week soaking up the sunshine, tapas bars and champagne by the pool grin but really want to meet up sometime. July quite busy but as far as me, can do eves this month (bar 3) or August doable.

Lady hope throat better and you have a nice time x

Rubena Sat 15-Jun-13 23:47:10

Oh and I'm following db on twitter. She's doing fab. An inspiration to me!

Arti that cake is brilliant.

Mckayz Sun 16-Jun-13 08:16:48

Thanks for the cake Arti. I think I will do that one. I had planned to do something similar so that will be great.

I have had to re think DD's cake now but it'll be fine.

I keep waking up at 5am. It is getting a bit tiring now.

sybilfaulty Sun 16-Jun-13 10:14:33

I am a little hungover after being out a friend's house drinking margaritas and laughing like drains. I now have a 4 year old's party to go to. Eek!

JamInMyWellies Sun 16-Jun-13 19:06:17

MIL classic today. Commenting on my sons shaggy hair. Referencing their Scottish heritage. "All Scottish men have long hair". Us, "really MIL? Have you ever been to Scotland"? Her, "no but that man that presents Coast has and so does Billy Conelly". grinblushgrin

God love her. Really hope the boys haven't inherited her superb powers of observation.

Vagolajahooli Sun 16-Jun-13 19:20:04

Jam that is hilarious. Almost as good as my mum saying the boys would not be very tall because all Chinese people are short. Quite amusing considering I have uncles who are practically midgets.

Sybs I've been at a four year olds party all afternoon and am thoroughly pissed.

Artichook Mon 17-Jun-13 11:40:09

MiLs, you have got to love them. Or not. Mine is coming around to DS' name but some of her comments drove me properly mad.

I would appreciate advice from those of you who had babies with reflux. I am worried DS has it. Its not terrible, he does not scream all the time, but he has the following symptoms, do they sound like reflux: sic after most feeds, a weird dry cough that makes him squirm with discomfort, a strange squeaky noise coming from his throat/chest when the milk is flowing fast, a lot of wind and hiccups and much more discomfort than I remember the girls being in. He also prefers to sleep upright (in the carseat, on a person) and will only sleep flat at night when he is in a deep sleep. Does that sound like reflux? I am also wondering about cows milk protein allergy as DD1 had that and she also had the terrible baby acne that DS is still suffering from (I think it might not be acne at all as it looks like an angry red rash and has hung around for 3 weeks now).

Hi Arti, it sounds a little like T (who had mild reflux, compared to B's epic number). Unfortunately, the only way they diagnose it in babies so young is to stick em on meds and see if it improves. It does sound like reflux (and although B is not CMP intolerant, he was on Neocate formula for the whole of his first year as it was the easiest thing to digest).
You might want to ask a GP to try out some gentler meds (such as Gaviscon or Ranitidine) but would counsel against going after the stronger stuff (such as Ompeprazole) as it changes the body chemistry and is v hard to come off.
Of course, it might not be reflux, but a little infant Gaviscon def wouldn't hurt (IME) and if it eases his pain it might be worth going with until his digestive system matures...

DeidreBarlow Mon 17-Jun-13 14:13:40

Arti I have no idea about reflux, so glad spot has seen this. Can you just go and have a chat with the GP and see what they say?

Rubes you are too kind about my 20 mins exercise being an inspirationgrin. I had a day off yesterday as my knee was hurting ( the one I hurt running last year). Anyway attempted level 3 today, which was a killer but knee was ok when warmed up which is good. I think I'm going to alternate levels 2 and 3 for a few more days then just go hardcore on 3 till my holidaysshockgrin

Vag your dumbbell sessions sound hardcore!! 30 mins is a lot, bet you felt the burnwink

DeidreBarlow Mon 17-Jun-13 14:15:56

I meant barbel not dumbbell. Sounds intense either way!

Jam your MIL is funny!

Honsandrevels Mon 17-Jun-13 14:31:56

Jam That's really funny!

Arti Have a look at the man in seat 61 for rail trip inspiration. I'm surprised how well it went. Trains are so much better than cars for our two. Dd2 especially gets fed up in her car seat.

Need to go collect dd1 from her primary school visit. She didn't want me to leave which is unlike her.

Vagolajahooli Mon 17-Jun-13 15:32:25

I'd go with Spots advice Arti. My experience with reflux is only with the super severe kids at work who also have other issues & ds2's very mild case which got sorted with a little osteopathy. In fact I don't think it was reflux proper, maybe an intolerance to the large amounts of caffeine in my milk blush.

DB there was definitely burn, very sore arms & I still find squating to a sit on the loo a bit painful.

Hons how did you book the train trip?

Rubena Mon 17-Jun-13 19:16:28

seriously. Is it effing bedtime yet!!!!? yes it is, but dh on a bloody creeping delay. Why do I ever believe the first estimated time of his arrival? And managed again to tell the kids he'd be back before bedtime. When will I learn. On a brighter note the day started well. I managed to tell ds he needed to be more self sufficient in the mornings, so I woke to the sound of him giving dd driving tips playing scalextrics grin What I meant was, help dd with her milk etc, since he seems to get himself a banana, apple and yogurt before I get up these days. Didn't even know he knew how to turn the track on, let alone get into the garage blush And today was my first day in ages to myself...... what did I get done? Bloody nothing.

Arti sorry about the possible reflux. Thing is, I often thought dd had a multitude of things. They all seemed to blend in. It might be normal baby things to me. Possibly dd had that too. I do remember giving her infant Gaviscon but it sorted itself out in the end.
I'm waffling. I hope he feels happier soon.

Rubena Tue 18-Jun-13 00:03:04

Did some exercise. Felt better. Actually starting to enjoy. grin

DeidreBarlow Tue 18-Jun-13 08:16:13

Rubes I often have days like that! They just drive me mad and its usually at the weekend when DH is working.

Glad your enjoying the exercise! I have to say I am too, although I'm sick of getting up at 6.30 hmm. But I know if I don't then I have to do it with an audience, which is rubbish as DD says things like "Mum your going really red!"

Speaking of DD she is almost 7 (moves to Yr 3 in Sept) and she is turning into a really stroppy little madam. Shes like a teenager and its driving me mad, she can be really rude sometimes. Especially if she can't get her own way over even the smallest things! Is it normal at this age?? On the other hand I have DS who is hilarious at the moment. DD is getting told off all the time and DS always chips in with a "I'm being good mummy" followed by a big cheesy gringrin

Rubena Tue 18-Jun-13 11:07:21

Yeah, Deids today will be a rest day as dh at work overnight again. I found it really hard to do TV workouts with the kids. My two would just argue over floor space! I am enjoying going out of the house, just me and the dog when I exercise. The solitary confinement of pox probably helps!

dh seems to work all the time, but we're always waiting for bloody money he's owed, and again have a massive tax bill and mortgage due a week before anything will come in. Seems to happen every month, we really need to pay bills a month ahead but just can't seem to manage to live like that. Don't know who to piss off first. I'm guessing not the taxman though.
dd much better. Waiting for ds's spots to erupt now [sigh]

Vagolajahooli Tue 18-Jun-13 13:36:11

We're in the same boat Rubes as dh is still behind being paid a couple of months worth of invoices. It's crap that we have to pay tax on money he hasn't actually been paid yet. Company tax here is paid quarterly regardless of whether the invoice has been paid. Our London place is almost ready to be rented but probably won't get a tenant until after the next mortgage payment. Think we might have to wait until they send a letter....naughty. By the time they send it we will probably have paid it.

I'm loving the half hour sessions. We did an evil upper body workout from my women's fitness magazine yesterday and the day before a youtube one by a guy called sixpackshortcuts. Nasty but good. I had my pilates class today so no home session today. I also can't work out in front of the kids they either join me and stand dangerously close to the end of the barbell or become distressed if I make any exertion noises, as it sounds a bit like I'm in pain.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a light active resting activity like a swim or a light ride. I have the swimming/basketball run in the afternoon so I don't want to do too much. If the water is flat at the beach I can do an open water swim. It's fecking hot here atm.

Vagolajahooli Tue 18-Jun-13 13:37:51

Deids my sweet loving ds1 started turning a bit hormonal at 7. It makes me a bit sad but it is this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now