Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2013 - part 3 - where we have to stop them rolling off the changing mats!

(1000 Posts)
octanegirl Sun 14-Apr-13 17:14:37

Ok, here we go with the new thread - we got to exactly 1000! Hope everyone enjoyed this balmy day. I got Felix out loads in the buggy smile

Meringue33 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:37:36

So he woke up from lunchtime nap bang in the middle of the supermarket and started screaming. Now bf in car again and hoping the meat and dairy isn't going off in the boot sad

Birdies Mon 29-Apr-13 13:43:23

woody I'm really not a fan of cc as I just don't see how babies can manipulate us, so i agree with bunty that they cry because they have a need. And if that need is just a cuddle then that's fine too.

I know lots of people say it works but I worry what effect it has on the baby longer-term, or even in the shorter term with levels of stress they must experience. There's something I read recently which made me really sad that people do cc with little babies.

lora I'm loving the Ewan lady. Got an email straight back saying will post a new one. Apparently the beeping has now been removed on later versions.

Everyone's very quiet today?!

Angielka Mon 29-Apr-13 14:02:10

I agree with the others woody 3 months is too young for any kind of sleep training. They don't advise cc before 6 months, and even then, there are other alternatives that IMHO seem preferable. Babies this little tend to cry because of need so leaving them alone to cry only makes everyone, baby included, stressed and unhappy. I have to say though, if Molly wakes mid-nap, she might have a wimper and I'll leave her to see if she is really waking up or going to settle herself back to sleep. In my mind that's very different though from leaving a baby when he or she is properly crying.

Oh meringue sending sympathy to you!

Yes, everyone's quiet today! If you're like me, you're getting over a busy weekend full of family and visitors with a quiet Monday alone with the baby!

I agree with the others that I wouldn't leave dd to cry at this age. although like angielka says dd sometimes whimpers to herself as she drops off to sleep and I don't pick her up then, although I sit with her and rock her to sleep.

meringue I spend a fair bit of time bfing dd in the supermarket car park. I find a muslin shut into the window gives me some privacy!

we have been out enjoying the sunshine smile.

Meringue33 Mon 29-Apr-13 16:13:41

Good tip Bugsy! I have an old Volvo and ironically it's much comfier to feed in than my sofa!

Hope you are all enjoying the sunshine. He has cheered up now and has actually just sat almost still and allowed me to cut his nails!

woody2313 Mon 29-Apr-13 18:11:08

Thanks everyone, I feel reassured that I'm doing the right thing by going to him when he cries now smileCC at this age just felt wrong.
In other news, measured DS' length today and he's 68cm at 12 weeks old, putting him on the 99.6th percentile - wow shock

Angielka Mon 29-Apr-13 20:57:41

Don't know what's up with Molly today - she's had very short naps, been pretty grumpy all day and even now is waking quite often and desperately sucking her thumb before dropping back to sleep. I think I blame teeth - all day she's been shoving things in her mouth and drooling like mad. At one point she was sitting on my lap and grabbed my fingers, put them in her mouth and chomped down hard. She's also been feeding a little bit more frequently than usual (and then vomming...) which I assume is about comfort rather than increased hunger. SO frustrating sometimes that these bubbas can't talk and tell you what's wrong!! I just hope she gets into a deep sleep soon and stops feeling the discomfort or I may have to knock her out with calpol not be getting much sleep tonight...

woody congrats on your tall baby! In Belgium all the clothes are by cm rather than age, and Molly's in 68cm stuff now, but she's shorter than that (although a chubby munchkin who seems to be popping out of things anyway)

Wishing you all a good night wine

glorious Mon 29-Apr-13 20:59:11

Wow what a lovely height woody , good work!

I've just spotted the January 2014 antenatal thread, it made me feel like a lot has happened since we were getting our BFPs. Bit of an understatement obviously but I'm not sure how to explain it better!

woody2313 Mon 29-Apr-13 21:07:41

He's on the 98th for his weight too... What on earth is in my milk?! shock

Angie Ivy has been a bit like that recently. I think it is all part of growing as she is now much more awake in the day and can no longer be rlied upon to sleep on school run. Nice as she smiles at everyone but then ends up over tired and cranky.

Re cc i did it with ds1 at 10 months as i had always fed to.sleep and he couldn't settle himself. Worked after 2 days but was hard and would never do it so early! I've found that side is easier if you wait to see if its just a grumble or if they realy need you.

Glorious i.had a peek at jan14 thread a few days ago. It does remind you how far we have all come since then. Ivy will.be 4 months old on wed. Its just flown by. She is definitely trying to roll now and gets frustrated when she can't get all the way over!

Meringue33 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:13:34

Yes Apples our LO does that too. Half the time he cries now I think it is frustration that he can't yet roll, crawl to or grab the things he wants. I try to help without overdoing it.

My best friend is in the Dec 2013 antenatal club. She had been trying to conceive for a year. Sooo excited for her!

Lostbobbles Mon 29-Apr-13 22:33:27

Hello ladies

Busy weekend here, full of birthdays including my own on sat. Just went out for a meal had to take dc's as no baby sitter but Lois was good and slept most of time and I actually got to eat my meal with both hands grin

Didn't get my birthday wish of a full nights sleep though. would of had more luck wishing for the winning lottery numbers. wink

Baby group tomorrow, I actually quite look forward to it as she seems to really enjoy it

Lora1982 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:54:26

If you think about it our babies are a year old already. A year since they started growing. Dexters currently zonked in my arms this time last year he was smaller than a pea!

He started copying me sticking my tongue out. Not sure how i feel about that! Double standards me doing it but i dont like kids sticking tongues out grin

glorious Tue 30-Apr-13 07:57:49

Happy belated birthday lost. Shame you didn't get the sleep, that'd be my wish too!

lora that's a better way of putting it, a whole year shock

happyhow Tue 30-Apr-13 08:01:46

We've been quite busy too. Been doing lots of big walks which has been great but now my legs are tired!!

Had baby massage yest. B wasn't really up for it. Going through the 15 wk growth spurt at the mo so his moods are changing all the time and feeding between 2.5-3hrs instead of 4hrs. He's still doing the same timings in the night though which is good.

At a loose end today. Think I'm going to go and buy some bedding plants and brighten up the front garden. smile

lollipoppi Tue 30-Apr-13 08:38:40

Happy belated bday lost!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend!
Today looks like a sunny day, DP is going to open the shop and come home for a rare day off! so I'm making a picnic and going to the park x

CreepyCrawly Tue 30-Apr-13 08:47:37

Ah I just had a peep at the 2014 thread and now I really miss being pregnant, especially the early excitement.

Did any of you know you were pregnant this time last year? I found out on the 10th of May. I only remember really because we went to Paris the net day. I thought that was going to be our 'conceiving holiday', and did a test the day before because my irregular AF hadn't arrived for a while.

We haven't been too busy here, but the dog is loving the long walks in all this lovely sunshine!

CreepyCrawly Tue 30-Apr-13 08:48:12

And happy belated birthday lost!

Pascha Tue 30-Apr-13 09:20:54

Earplugs at the ready - the Squeal has arrived! hmm

After two shit weeks of crappy nights, the worst being the night before last when D woke every ninety minutes we had a good night with feed at 6.30pm, 1.45am, 5am. Thank god, I was beginning to lose it a bit.

I think it was the first week of May I found out, period was due about 27th April and I was a week late. I don't miss pregnancy at all, I must say. I did the first time. We are sure this is the last baby though, no pangs for any more at all. DH is going for vasectomy as soon as he's allowed smile

Tugstonia Tue 30-Apr-13 10:37:48

Morning all, hope everyone's well!

Pascha we have the Squeal too! DD sure has a big vocal range.

We've gone from waking every 2 hours to every 3 hours at night now, so that's progress hmm.

DD just had her second lot of jabs and screamed/cried initially but then calmed down pretty quickly and is now fast asleep. I managed to hold back the tears this time!

We've never had her height measured but am keen to know her centile for height as her dad's 6'4 and hoping she takes after him and not me smile

I saw the Jan 2014 thread too and couldn't believe it, feels like only yesterday I joined the antenatal thread. I don't miss pregnancy at all though I must say.

Enjoy the sun everyone!

Birdies Tue 30-Apr-13 11:23:38

Nice to hear I'm not the only one still not getting much sleep! I think I saw most hours on the clock last night. And then i was so tired I forgot to alternate boobs for feeding and ended up having to express the neglected rock hard boob in the sink at 4am. I was not happy!

Birdies Tue 30-Apr-13 11:24:38

Ps I saw the Jan 2014 thread too - time has flown by! I am a bit broody again though I must be mad

glorious Tue 30-Apr-13 11:32:02

We have a squeal too pascha , ouch it's high!

Glad you're getting a bit more sleep tugs even if you've got a way to go.

birdies I'm a bit broody too though no way I actually really want two under two so I'll just have to cope! I have no idea how anyone looks after a newborn and a toddler, hats off to those of you who do. I did like being pregnant though until about 39 weeks. Hated the last 3.

Pascha Tue 30-Apr-13 11:54:14

Birdies that was me on sunday night. I was so tired on monday morning I burst into tears on DH's shoulder before he left for work at 7am. Got through the day on caffeine and MIL and sunshine and fresh air, last night was much much better.

I really hope it was just a spurt and it gets a bit better for a bit, although at 16 weeks I'm really hoping the 4 month sleep regression doesn't rear its ugly head. DS1 never saw it really so fingers crossed.

I'm just getting my better maternity stuff together to sell, most of its not worth anything but there are a few nice branded pieces which could get me a few quid as a bundle. It can go towards some new non-maternity stuff for the summer as my wardrobe is shockingly empty of good clothes now nothing quite fits anymore.

Pascha Tue 30-Apr-13 11:55:03

God 16 weeks! In days gone by we'd have been reaching for the baby rice this week. Sod that.

This thread is not accepting new messages.