Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - GTbaby is back! Hooray hooray!

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 01-Apr-13 17:48:16
Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:19:45

Before

BigPigLittlePig Sun 07-Apr-13 13:19:38

daisychain - carrot cupcakes
175g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinammon
pinch salt
150mls sunflower oil
150g soft light brown sugar
3 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
50g sultanas
225g grated carrot

Heat oven to 180 oC. Mix flour, baking powder, cinammon and salt. Add oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, sultanas and carrots. Beat until smooth then spoon into cupcake cases. Bake for 20 mins.

Yum.

fatima will do it this evening as am off out in a sec to deliver dsd to a party.

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:19:34

Thread

Passmethecrisps Sun 07-Apr-13 13:19:23

<throws self dramatically onto Fred sofa>

<wails> I don't feel weeeel

Feel shite. Sore throat, achy and generally pish.

Arse.

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:19:23

A

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:19:12

Finished

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:18:58

Never

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:18:47

Have

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Sun 07-Apr-13 13:18:32

I'm here

StuntNun Sun 07-Apr-13 13:14:45

Anyone up for finishing the fred?

YellowWellies Sun 07-Apr-13 13:05:03

Oh god yeah 1-5 a day means patches would be a step up for you!!!! smile E-cigs are pretty good, I used one for six months - have a google - v similar to the real deal, cheaper and don't damage health (unless you get a shonky one from China).

ValiumQueen Sun 07-Apr-13 13:04:28

For fear of stating the obvious or offending the lovely pr cigarette smoke stays on the breath for some time after a fag, so even if you are smoking outside, unless you stay outside for a good while, you will be exposing your children to second hand smoke. I appreciate you do not smoke much, but the way to help you and your family's health the most would be to stop completely. I appreciate how very difficult that would be, and I am not trying to make you feel bad about it. Every cigarette you miss out is great, but even smoking just one or two a day is still damaging to your health. My DH tried everything, and eventually gave up with the help of champix - much longer than it is licensed for and alongside counselling.

PetiteRaleuse Sun 07-Apr-13 12:55:35

Very long time since I was a 20 a day girl smile

Last time I looked at patches when I fell pregnant with DD1 I was told you had to smoke a fair amount already otherwise the nicotine dose would be too high. Since I smoke 1-5 (5 if I am having a drink) now a substitute would do more harm than good grin

I don't know anything about e-cigs.

daisychain76 Sun 07-Apr-13 12:45:53

Hi, thanks for the fire engine Pass H was only up twice. Have started spoon feeding him a bit of puree at teas (BLW mostly) and it seems to help.

Happy birthday mm.

Was wondering if any of the dairy free among you knows a simple cake recipe l could do wih ds1‘s friend who has a dairy allergy? I know l can google it, but think a tried and tested one could be better

YellowWellies Sun 07-Apr-13 12:44:24

PR I thought that might be the case and was going to add feel free to tell me to eff off grin but just in case it was the elephant in the room and you were chuffing your way through 60 a day!!!!!!

I remember well the incredulity I felt when advised to quit temporarily when I had flu grin grin grin grin now I'm like oooooohhhhh yeah blush. I should stress I was a 20 a day girl.

If it keeps on this shit maybe substitute an e-cig for a limited time - there's absolutely no chance of secondary exposure then? It's all I can think that you're not doing already.

It could very well just be plain bad luck sad sad sad

BPLP Thanks, I'll PM it now.
I've been ok at doing CVs before but i'm used to my own which is more academic and job history where as his needs to be more practical based with skills and competencies. His job is a manual, man-type role smile

BigPigLittlePig Sun 07-Apr-13 12:30:13

First proper feed of the day just done, after a ma-hoosive nap. Happier baby now - let's see how long it lasts.

fatima if you pm me an email address, can send you my cv (minus the personal bits, unless he fancies a career/sex change) for a good layout nabbed it from a pro a few years back

PetiteRaleuse Sun 07-Apr-13 12:26:24

I really don't smoke that much - never inside and generally just before shower and bed. I appreciate the thought but other than the odd fag during their nap (outside) they don't see me after smoking til the next morning.

YellowWellies Sun 07-Apr-13 12:20:05

PR e-cigarette or patches for a month? Even secondary exposure to smoke on hair, hands and clothes weakens immune systems and increases likelihood of respiratory infections in kids. Unless you smoke outside and shower / change clothes after each fag. More likely cause than a blood transfusion I'd have thought? As an ex-smoker I appreciate that's the one thing its not cool to say but dude you sound desperate xxxxx

Clarella Sun 07-Apr-13 12:02:28

apologies - minor wobble. as you were.

antenatal depression/ anxiety popping up again but attaching its self to breast feeding.

thanks for hands and hugs.

PetiteRaleuse Sun 07-Apr-13 12:02:04

Yes fatima if they say he doesn't need to work his notice then it is paid. I hope he finds something else soon.

Just had a thought. When I was pregnant with DD1 I was in perfect health. With LO a few months before I had had masses of blood transfusions, and was always tired and felt as if I had been whacked over the head. I suppose if my immunity was knackered then I wouldn' have passed on as much to LO.

Thanks for all the happy thoughts and sweary words re. DHs job.

He's only worked there since August, they were v busy up until Christmas but since going back in January it's been a lot quieter, although there has been talk of big orders due. This last couple of weeks he's been doing overtime again.
There's been other redundancies over the past months but DH is the first skilled position to go, we think it's because he had a minor disagreement with the foreman on Thursday and because he's not one of the bosses pub mates They've also got some tax-dodging scheme, dodgy loophole going on that we're a bit suspicious about.

They've given him a weeks notice but said he doesn't have to work it, I think i'm correct that they still have to ay him for it though, am I? Otherwise it wouldn't be any notice?

So I have the job of writing DH a CV, feel free to help grin He's never had to do one before as his is the kind of industry where you go see someone, they ask what you can do and give you a job.

I'll catch up on the rest of the thread properly later. But wanted to say thanks

On a happier note, M has just done two nights in her cot in her room and is currently napping in it smile

ValiumQueen Sun 07-Apr-13 11:37:23

pr it is not your fault. We cannot keep our kids in bubbles and protect them from everything. It is likely nursery. My kids bring everything home and share. This all helps build their immunity. If you kept them both in isolation, and then home schooled they would still catch something eventually, and likely not manage it well. At least this way you are getting a lot of bugs out of the way before school and there will be less illness and missing important learning. Cold comfort I know. Remember my boy had bronchiolitis too. My first did not even have a cold until she was 8 months old. My second is a tough little brute largely due to DD1. I am hoping J will also be tough, although fucking bronchiolitis does make them weaker initially. Big hug and hope you get warmth, sunshine and good health soon x

Passmethecrisps Sun 07-Apr-13 11:35:11

PR you might be right about nursery being at fault for the bugs but if you look at it another way you should hopefully find that once this bath has passed both girls will be nice and strong immunity wise.

P is having nap-strike! She loves her big bed so much that it is party time when she is put in there. I will be VERY fit from all the running up and down the stairs I am doing.

ValiumQueen Sun 07-Apr-13 11:26:32

clarella I do not know anything about caring for pregnant or breastfeeding mummies with anxiety. I know of Haloperidol, but my knowledge is of completely different circumstances. It would be wrong of any of us to give a professional opinion of you as we do not know all the history etc. I would encourage you to contact the mental health team to say that your anxiety is at a level that you cannot cope with, and that you have taken it. I am hoping that they would know what is safe etc, and will monitor you closely. Please read the leaflet and look for side effects as they can come on quite quick with that drug. Please make sure your people in RL know how you are feeling, and that you are taking it. Also make sure you and others monitor your safety for feeding, especially at night -staying awake, coordination etc. Remember side effects always make for scary reading, but are often rare and it is important to be informed. Take care honey, and do not be afraid to consider formula feeding if it will ease some of the pressure. You have done so very well. I cannot remember if you mix feed already or if LO even takes a bottle. Remember sippy cups work too. Big hug x anxiety is horrid.

This thread is not accepting new messages.