Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

November 2012 - GTbaby is back! Hooray hooray!

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 01-Apr-13 17:48:16
Sophiathesnowfairy Tue 02-Apr-13 08:33:30

PS regardless of what I have just said if it really is a dairy issue I would defo wait a bit, having one child with lactose and soy intolerance is not fun.

ValiumQueen Tue 02-Apr-13 08:43:14

kirrin you have done amazingly well with feeding. A bit of formula now and then will not hurt LO or your supply, and if it gives you a bit of rest, then go ahead. Not long and you will be introducing solids, cooking with cows milk etc.

311 great news! Long may it continue.

pr please do not worry about the housework. Try to find ways of enjoying your new role. Try to see it as a job in as much as organising, planning, positive attitude etc. but also try to enjoy it too. Get out as much as possible. Good luck!

J is going to have his first taste of carrot today. Largely because he needs fibre to help with the poo. He is taking the prune juice really well, and seems to enjoy it, so I think he is ready. He is 23 weeks on Thursday.

fruitpastilles Tue 02-Apr-13 08:49:48

vq has the prune juice helped J with his poos? S is doing little hard rabbit like poos so I think he could do with a bit of help.

fruitpastilles Tue 02-Apr-13 08:51:02

She even not he

ChasingDaisy Tue 02-Apr-13 08:51:51

Rubbish night. O not too bad but I just couldn't sleep. Feel sick. Very long day ahead. Ugh.

Passmethecrisps Tue 02-Apr-13 08:54:38

Do what you need to do kirrin. You have worked incredibly hard to get to this stage so any anxiety is perfectly natural. I really do think that at this stage a happy and rested mum is worth one carton of formula.

jims we were advised to consider early weaning. Response to the medication and appropriate weight gain seemed to be the factors. The dietitian I saw took a look at P's daily formula totals and her weight gain before giving the opinion that it wasn't necessary. My understanding is that it is to move babies on quickly so they can start the more calorific solids.

Am I being precious being a bit concerned that P seems to have stalled a bit developmentally. I keep hearing about babies reaching out for things and P seems miles away from this. She still seems to have very little control over her arms. The only thing she seems interesting in developing is her legs.

VQ I have heard that cooked carrot can make a constipated baby more constipated. Was certainly the case for DD1. We were advised back then to give bananas, cooked pears and apples. But there doesn't seem to be much consensus on the issue.

Re the housework our house is open plan. It's hard to escape mess, and the bedrooms are small so for sleeping only. Add to that the animals and the sodding clutter which I can't face doing and which doesn't bother DH I find myself unable to relax. Which is bizarre as I NEVER bothered about housework til we moved here. It's smaller and I spend more time here and I'm starting to really hate it.

An example. The stupid bathroom has a black sink. Looks lovely. Or it did when it was new. We have hard limey water here. Sinks are also used with toothpaste and soap. Why put in a black sink? It doesn't just need a wipe down after every use it needs a full clean at least once a day.

Passmethecrisps Tue 02-Apr-13 08:59:59

sophia not liking milk seems to be the issue here are well. P just seems a bit meh about milk. Sadly I think she is still some weeks away from weaning being worth our while.

ChasingDaisy Tue 02-Apr-13 09:04:17

O doesn't seemed fussed about milk either. He will only eat I'd he is really hungry. He has been up since 7 and hasn't taken a feed yet. When he is tired and hungry he would much prefer to sleep. He then wakes up after half an hour screaming hungry, have a quick feed and back to sleep.

Getting him weighed at his 4 week check today so will see how he is getting on. He seems nowhere near ready for weaning, think we will be waiting until 26 weeks.

ValiumQueen Tue 02-Apr-13 09:08:44

fruit J has done a small amount of poo the last two days, but needs a proper go. He is having a small amount of prune juice daily until it regulates. He is busy going red-faces at the moment so fingers crossed.

pr I will try fruit then. Thank you. Black sink? My sympathies.

pass please do not worry about P. She is doing fine - they all do things in a slightly different order, and she is a bright animated little thing. How was your night?

PurplePidjin Tue 02-Apr-13 09:14:28

kirrin that sounds like a bloody awesome idea. I get 2-3 hour bursts plus have dp around to take R out or I'd consider the same.

He found his feet this morning finally, hoping that's the mental leap done and his sleep will start to settle...

ChunkyEasterChick Tue 02-Apr-13 09:15:18

7th night broke the sleeping through run sad but only 1 4am wake for a quick feed so can't complain too much

BigPigLittlePig Tue 02-Apr-13 09:18:21

Not a bad night, up at 3, 5 and 8, but I swear to god I am more tired these past few weeks than I was when she was a newborn. It's making the mornings in particular quite a bad place - yesterday was a low day and luckily I had an arrangement to meet a friend so had to drag myself out which made things better. I feel like I've lost sight of who I am. Sorry for the moan.

pass over this weekend, F has started to whack things more frequently with her hands, which makes me think that she might be trying to hit them. She's 18 weeks. Definitely no grabbing going on though. Legs however are as strong as an ox.

F has been very fussy when feeding for a few days, yanking my nipples and tearing her head from side to side ow Any thoughts on why??

I know. When we moved kn we were all ooh what a lovely bathroom suite. Black and chrome. By day three we were cursing the landlord for being a stupid cunt. Who the fuck wants to spend tveir lives cleaning their bathroom? And if you leave it for a couple of days it is harder to clean.

YellowWellies Tue 02-Apr-13 09:21:02

BPLP that could be earache - Jonas does it if I've eaten or drunk something that taints the milk - caffeine, alcohol or soya.

Jims Tue 02-Apr-13 09:25:14

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll try some cooked veg instead of banana. I did more BLW with DS1 so bananas were high on my hit list. I think I was just a bit meh about it after the first doctor said to try the medications as milk was the best thing for him at the moment only for her to be contradicted by the consultant who said weaning was better.

YW I'd be interested to know what the dietician says.

I didn't go dairy free completely as no health care professional has ever mentioned it to me, I've only read what you've said on here. And we have seen a lot of doctors in wee F's life! I was experimenting a bit as it seemed like a double thing - advisable to help get rid of thrush too. It's all a bit of a mystery as the previous month, when I'd done things exactly the same, he'd put on weight fine and seemed to be following the 50th approximately.

Pass don't worry - babies/children all do things at different times. She'll probably amaze you one day and do loads of new stuff. DS1 has always done things early. Save for blimmin' potty training - we've gone back to pull-ups as poos never go in the toilet or potty. He asks me with slight glee each time whether I'm going to put him back in nappies, I'm regretting that threat made in the heat of the moment now! He'll be 3 in May.

MissMummy1 Tue 02-Apr-13 09:33:58

YW that doesn't sound great - baby massage off today then? Hope you feel better soon xxx

M slept in three 4 hour chunks last night. In our bed. We did not. I think she must keep herself thrashing around in her cot - I swear we will have bruises today!

My mum is coming round this morning to help me sort through my wardrobe. M and I are still cosied up in bed blush. I am "working" though....

I am quite shocked by the amount of babies with intolerances and allergies today. Between CMPI and skin complaints, it seems almost every baby as something! I am sure there weren't half as many complaints in our generation, and less still in our mothers' and grandmothers'.

Elizadoesdolittle Tue 02-Apr-13 09:37:12

Well after a fussy evening I put E down at 9:30pm and she woke at 7:30am. Am in total shock. I did her last tube feed at 11pm (she slept through it) and I completely missed her 3am as I slept through it! I used to set an alarm but she was waking up at least once if not twice in the night so I stopped the alarm. I know it was a one off but feels good to know she can do it.

jims I can sympathise with the weight gain. It's a horrible feeling. I'm not sure why they changed their minds on the meds. Sounds a bit odd to me as surely you can do meds and weaning. I have been advised to do early weaning with E and its going very slowly. Am going to pick up the pace this week. I would continue slowly but perhaps used more milk based stuff ie baby rice or perhaps mix the banana or whatever you use with a bit of milk. I'm by no means an expert though, I'm still finding my feet with this puree lark.

And on that note I'm off to batch cook some carrot.......

BigPigLittlePig Tue 02-Apr-13 09:48:04

MM in my grans generation, the slightest sniff of trouble with a bf baby, and the mums were told "your milk's no good" and they got given formula. And they didn't hear the screams as the babies were all outside in their prams grin

Shall eliminate all things nice from my diet then yw - had been having coffee again but it didn't seem to have affected her reflux.
<loud clunk as penny drops>
Maybe that's why she was a miserable little mare at the weekend blush

YellowWellies Tue 02-Apr-13 09:56:21

Yeah DSIL back in the good old days clearly had CMPI she screamed constantly. DFIL was the one medicated though - Valium for his nerves. DSIL was labelled as miserable and colicky and left to cry it out.

My dietician has a couple of theories - better diagnosis, the fact that our generation was weaned far too early and potentially the homogenization of milk. Also auto immune conditions and allergies can be a response to environmental pollutants sad

ChunkyEasterChick Tue 02-Apr-13 09:59:49

Uh oh. Might have hit some unscheduled growth spurt turbulence... Extra hungry, bit grumpy & trying to roll over (from back to front contrary little bugger) might mean he's up to something wink

Passmethecrisps Tue 02-Apr-13 10:00:22

Same as usual VQ. I wake about 3am then approximately every half hour to an hour after that. I have never ever been a very good sleeper for all I love bed. I feel better today though. P is in her Moses basket at the end of the bed. We have a cot bed in the cat's room nursery next door. We have a monitor - pretty ancient thing but seems ok. I was planning to use DH's absence next week to focus on some new sleep routines like upstairs for first bedtime and naps.

BP I know exactly what you mean about losing yourself. Almost made me well up reading that. Getting out and about definitely helps

Yay. Decluttered one surface in the bedroom. I wonder how long before it gets full of crap again.

BigPigLittlePig Tue 02-Apr-13 10:06:48

pr if it's anything like our house, your clean surface has got about 10 minutes, max.

<narrows eyes at collection of my little ponies, newspapers, bib, mugs and pens on previously clean coffee table>

ChunkyEasterChick Tue 02-Apr-13 10:15:21

My DH doesn't see clutter either PR. His side of the bed is hideous - I wouldn't go there except he's by the window so I have to open curtains (which he never does either...) Hate it but not enough hours in the day to go around clearing up after him unfortunately angry

This thread is not accepting new messages.