Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012: 8 hour sleeps and chubby chops all round

(971 Posts)
WillYouDoTheBunnyHop Mon 25-Mar-13 21:08:25

New thread for us ladies

It was me seconds smile

Ds is still crying everytime I try to put him down sad

MaMaPo Fri 05-Apr-13 03:29:22

Oh spotty. Hope he zonked himself out soon.

Sod's law - I only express 3oz yesterday morning as the last 3 feeds have had to be thrown out due to bottle refusal. Of course then C happily takes the bottle, isn't anywhere near full, and I have to get up and feed anyway. Still! She took the bottle ! I bought a more traditional free flow one as she had only ever used the Medela calma, and that seems to have done the trick.

25 minute feed so far - this from a girl who hasn't had a nighttime feed longer than 10 minutes in months.

He will sleep fine on me just cries every time I put him in his cot. I'm exhausted

IsThatTrue Fri 05-Apr-13 04:07:12

Oh spotty it's almost worse after you've adapted to them sleeping a bit better! Fx you get some sleep soon.

2nd wake up. DS took forever to get to bed and so far has woken 14 million.

SeymoreButts Fri 05-Apr-13 07:02:05

spotty sad I hope you manage to get some sleep.

mama we were using tommee tippee bottles but DS started refusing them so we're going to try calma tonight. How similar is it to breastfeeding? I don't think he's going to go for it!

FOD We get laughs but only if DS is verging on over-tired, kisses on his tummy or neck seem to get the most laughs.

Barbeasty I hope the doctor is helpful. DD had reflux and before she was on meds I used to find slings and bouncers fine but something like the bumbo would make it worse, it seemed to put too much pressure on her tummy.

Does anyone else's LO scream like a cat being murdered very loudly when they are over-tired??

I know we've covered this before, but what is everyone doing for nighttime nappies?? DS has stopped pooing at night (yay) and usually falls asleep on the boob at each wake up. If I change his nappy he wakes right up and fidgets about in bed for for ages. If I don't change him his nappy leaks around 4am! Also, every single poo he does comes out the back. Should I move up a size? confused

SeymoreButts Fri 05-Apr-13 07:03:32

apologies for the punctuation madness blush

utopian99 Fri 05-Apr-13 07:09:06

seymore sounds like you should definitely go up a size.
We use reusables for day but Naty disposable nappies for night; he gets changed around 8-9pm and then again afterddropping dh off at about 8am. Normally pretty full, wee wise, but no leaks and he doesn't seem bothered by it..

Well I managed to doze a bit. Ds spent last night either laying on my chest (where I was worried he would over hear) or eventually laying next to me where I was worried he would fall off the bed or I would squash him....

itsMYNutella Fri 05-Apr-13 07:40:07

Fod we have had short bursts of almost giggles in the last couple of days and then he did a sort of giggle in his sleep but DS is very verbal (managed to chat to him over the table at the PIL on Easter Sunday while an uncle was holding him) so it could also be noises strung together... Like someone else's LO

Spotty I often have DS next to me in the night and sometimes it's fine and I can sleep sometimes not confused sorry you had a bad night... You better stop reading my post now...

Well DS went off to sleep like a good boy around 21:30 and slept till 03:20 and fed from one boob very slowly... I woke about 4:30 because the other boon needed his attention so moved and fed him from that one -also very slowly- then put him back in his bed at about 5 and he slept till just after 8 shockshockshock but yay!!!grin Great night for us! Don't think it has ever been so quiet!!!!

It's ok nutella you deserved a good sleep grin thing is ds has always gone into his cot no problems so I just don't understand. He's happy as larry this morning talking to dd's potty hmm

FriendofDorothy Fri 05-Apr-13 08:17:39

The tendonitis in my thumb is getting so bad that I am struggling to pick up my chunky baby.

I have just booked to see the GP to see if they will do a steroid injection in my wrist. I think it is going to hurt sad

Barbeasty Fri 05-Apr-13 09:10:52

Oh FoD, fingers crossed they can do it.

A was awake every hour again last night, and DD woke me up at 6, between the last 2 wakings. She's in the bath now and A is fast asleep in his crib.

Think it's definitely teeth, so I hope they break through soon.

Yes, I'm breastfeeding. It's interesting that a few of you found no difference in propping babies up. If anything A is worse as he goes of the horizontal.

Trying to think what to do today with both DC when I'm dead on my feet through lack of sleep and everywhere will be busy!

WLmum Fri 05-Apr-13 10:04:38

That's tough beasty. Hope he feels better soon. Is dd old enough for a DVD? When I've felt like that we've gone to the library for books and a DVD (big treat) and I micro sleep through the wonders of Barbie and the magic of Pegasus in 3d!

Ouch fod

All feel free to hate me - T slept 8.30 til 8 last night!! Just watch me jinx it and have hellish nights from now on!

MaMaPo Fri 05-Apr-13 10:39:46

envy at you, WL.

Last night wasn't so bad here - C took the bottle, as I mentioned (*Seymore*, the calma teat requires the baby to suck - if you hold the bottle upside down nothing comes out, much like a breast! smile We changed to the Nuk teat as she has recently taken well to using Nuk silicon dummies) and then fed for 45 bloody minutes at 3am. Longest night feed for months! She then slept until 6.15am when she woke up farting, then was exhausted and down for a nap again at about 8am. I slept too, and my husband snuck out to work without me noticing. She napped until 9am, and was in bed again at 10am. She's just a sleepy poppet at the moment.

FoD, ouch! Hope it goes OK. With giggles, as Seymore said, it's more likely here when C is tired. She giggles reliably at bathtime when I am taking off her vest, as it tickles her shoulders/underarms. Only way to get a vague giggle during the day is via a vigorous game of peekaboo.

Off to Denmark this afternoon, hooray hooray! I still find travel a bit daunting but I'm sure it will all go well.

Well I popped to tesco hoping ds would fall asleep, it's only 25 minutes away, but he stayed awake in the car then screamed the whole way through sad finally went to sleep on the way home...

halestone Fri 05-Apr-13 12:28:01

FOD hope your injection goes well and isn't to painful.

envy WL what a sleep

Have anyone elses LO's started crying for absolutely no reason? H hasn't done this since she was about 8 weeks old (she did it all time before). Shes usually a happy baby she chats very loudly all day but the last two days shes started sobbing for no reason..

FriendofDorothy Fri 05-Apr-13 14:37:46

I am so cross I could cry.

The tendinitis in my thumb is getting worse. The last doc told me they could do a steroid injection if it didn't improve so this morning I book an appointment.

Previous doctor not available so I book with a different one and check with his secretary that he is ok with doing injections. He point blank refused to do it and gave me acupuncture magnets instead.

I am all for complementary therapies but I just wanted something to fix it now! sad

halestone Fri 05-Apr-13 15:12:55

Oh FOD how horrible, could u try booking in with the other Dr next werk? I know you'll be in pain in the mean time though so thats crap advice thanks

Poor you FoD is Hales suggestion a possibility?

I hope you bought yourself a nice treat Spotty to enjoy after your ordeal?

Enjoy your trip Mama, are you visiting friends or just going for a break?

Seymore I go up a nappy and always use a branded one (i.e., Pampers) for nighttime, I know people try to tell you that ASDA/Aldi ones are great and I agree for days, but nothing beats an expensive nappy at night!

Hales J has started to whine/cry in the day for nothing. I'm putting it down to growing pains/teeth.

I am missing my baby. <People with non-sleepers avert your eyes> He slept 8:30pm-7:00am, 8:00-8:45am, 10:30am-12:15pm and 14:00-now and counting. I have barely seen him all day. He has eaten his own body weight whenever he's woken up though! Hoping it's a growth spurt, I'm a bit bored of his 0-3m clothes and would like him to move into the super cool 3-6ms I bought

FriendofDorothy Fri 05-Apr-13 16:14:56

I have already booked to see the original doctor on Tuesday!

Cornishlaydee Fri 05-Apr-13 17:19:17

Hi thanks for all your replies- feel better about no routine now!
To the ladies having patchy nights, my dd's nights started with the usual 3 hourly new born stints then went haywire weeks 9-14 coinciding with moving her out of carry cot into crib. I was getting 2-3 hour stints but sometimes finding she wouldn't settle back after a night waking (and her feeds take up to an hour still). Two weeks ago I bought a kiddopotamus swaddle blanket with Velcro after noticing she was flailing her arms and moving a lot and seemingly waking herself up in the night...well it's been amazing! She instantly started doing 4.5 -6 hour stints. We've still had some patchy nights where I've still ended up with a bit of co sleeping but since using it the shortest sleep has been 3 hours. Not sure what ill do when she grows out of the largest size though! I put her in it before the last feed and despite a few grizzles when I do it up she goes very placid as soon as we start feeding.

SkiBunnnnny Fri 05-Apr-13 17:42:42

Yes Seymore, my LO does scream like a cat being murdered. I can't quite believe such a loud noise can come from such a little human. His most common laughs are also a cross between a shriek and giggle, usually from being tickled although he does like 'heads, shoulders, knees and toes'!
It does sound like you need to go up a nappy size, I still have a shitload of extra nappies left over from when he seemingly went up a size over night and they couldn't contain any amount of poo at all.

Hales, yes to crying for no reason, thought it might be teething pain since he was chomping on his hand too but now not so sure...

Have fun in Denmark mama!

I can't remember who talked about laughing and crying while asleep but DS does that too. I have run in to him after hearing him properly screaming only to find him fast asleep and me doubting my sanity.

I know I really shouldn't complain but DS is now only feeding once at night which is really great but I am now back to leaking everywhere and sore boobs. I have reusable breast pads but they basically do nothing. I could only find this one brand in the shops but I know you can get other types online, does anyone have suggestions of good ones?

Secondsop Fri 05-Apr-13 18:08:42

Ah spotty thanks for the tiger in tree tip! As Z's been getting more active he's also been getting more overtired so I've had to deploy it today as well.

seymore Z does the loud, high screech.

Barbeasty Fri 05-Apr-13 18:35:22

We spent the afternoon at MIL's. She even took them both out for a walk, although I didn't quite get to sleep. And she gave DD dinner. Now DH has taken DD to the pub, so I only have one (grizzly) child to deal with.

I am pretty certain teeth are the problem. Not only can we see some white bits on the gums and feel them just under, but within seconds of putting bonjela teething gel all over his gums he stopped screaming. Think I'll give him his first taste of neurofen tonight.

FoD hope Tuesday comes quickly for you.

IsThatTrue Fri 05-Apr-13 19:27:15

I use pampers in the day (using up old stock, now ds's legs are chunkier he suits asda nappies that didn't cut it when he was skinny) but they don't cut it at night so use asda ones there. Will be switching to asda when we've used all the pampers. Routinely escaping poo is a good sign to move up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now