Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 12 - 6 Months already?? Where has the time gone?

(318 Posts)
Thechick Tue 19-Mar-13 06:16:21
woundbobbin Thu 25-Apr-13 21:58:52

With the sleeping I just keep repeating to myself that she will get there on her own - slightly nervous at prospect of rocking a 1 yr old to sleep but fingers crossed it won't come to that.
I've had measles so 100% immunity dh had the MMR so he is covered I think dd gets some cover with the breast milk? We are not far from the South Wales outbreak. I just wanted some clarity from the HV but she just kept saying its up to the parents about as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Cavatina Fri 26-Apr-13 18:57:37

wound our hv are rubbish unfortunately, I dont really bother. Bm shoud give them better immunity. It is a worry but if you are not in conact with the risk age group you should be ok.
My pushchair packed in on Wednesday thankfully few yards from home. pissed off as now stuck at home no car no pushchair and I can only manage the Ergo short distances or bus ride as she is quite heavy. It turns out one cannot just go to a shop and buy one, almost no shop keeps stock, they order and deliver, might a well by online anyway. So new pushchair arriving Wednesday, not sure how will manage until then, dp only back Monday.
BabyCava has been asleep since 4pm, no point to wake her u as she will scream the house down, hm.. we have tiny swimmers taster tomorrow at 10 me thinks may not be a success if we have n eventful night, although she luuurvs the water ...

slightlyroundthebend Fri 26-Apr-13 21:48:50

cava that sounds like sheer hell on earth! We just bought new pushchair and got next day delivery, local mothercare had model but not in colour we wanted. Where are you based again?

wound my hv wasn't there to ask and the Numpty weighing probs doesn't even know what measles are so didn't ask...sorry not much help there am I?

So we attended our second musical minis today, ds feeling much better and laughed all the way through and we got a little t-shirt! Hahaha I'm easily pleased. But shall I tell you what I found utterly amazing? Watching the little 1yr olds running about and interacting with each other. I kept getting a "shit that'll be him soon" feeling the baby is turning into a little boy....I feel sad, but oooh do little people sleep??????????????

Any nice plans for weekend? Dogs to vets, mooch round village and lunch with dh for us I think. Praying for Sun.

X

Cavatina Sat 27-Apr-13 22:11:36

evening!
slightly well done minislightly, getting a tshirt already! may be he will join a band and become famous and then you can retiresmile or win Leeds piano competiton in which case you will be very proud but not able to retire..
I feel the same that they grow too fast, and their little personalities are coming through.. and I think our los will turn into champion sleepers (eventually... this or Nobel prize!)
I live in the rip off capital of the world that is London where every square in is turned into shop space so they dont keep any stock anymore..
which pushchair did you get?
wound how is dd getting on with the poo and skin problems?
My plan for the weekend is to survive on my own, no car or pushchair, ds is away for a week and dp not back intil Monday now, wish me luck..
Managed tiny swimmers thankfully (10am on Sat morning, the things we do for them...) but babyCava was not so sure about the whole experience.. It was not helpful that we were there too early and had go wait, it was very hot and humid and she got hot and bothered before we made it into the pool, I forgot her water so she kept trying to drink the pool haha ! She was not crying but nervous and only relaxed towards the end. Shame as she loves her baths! I am not sure whether to leave it until she is older or persevere, I love swimming and would like her to enjoy it too+it is a skill which can save your life. I am aware she will not learn to swim now but be aware of water and enjoy it. Also she had three hours nap in the afternoon, so for this alone may be worth coughing up the cash grin fingera cross for a good night too..

Thechick Tue 30-Apr-13 05:38:22

Hello all. Just checking in. Hope everyone is good. We are both good, but H has a little cold but is mostly fine. Yesterday he just mostly wanted to eat and sleep. I was a bit ill again at the weekend. I think it is the ww, so I've kind of knocked that on the head and like Cava said, am being more accepting of my body. I'm glad you guys like the article. I just know that if I don't get back to pre preg now it won't happen but if I'm getting ill then it's a no brainier. I've got some high dose bf vits.
Slightly I feed to sleep, H has self settled only a handful of times. I do think that we need to change the sleep association. I want to find some kind of object that he associates with sleep and get dh to take over once he's had a feed. Can pil come to you to see routine as things might be a little different for LO when he's not in his usual environment.

woundbobbin Tue 30-Apr-13 10:03:47

Morning all.
We went away over the weekend with my parents it was so relaxing having them on tap to help with dd. am feeling a bit blue today being on my own again after a bad nights sleep am on a short fuse with dd definately not a good mother today!
Cava I don't normally bother with the HV she last saw dd when she was 8weeks and said following that to only contact if there was a problem - this diarrhoea & measles is the 1st problem I've contacted them for doesn't inspire me to use them again- diarrhoea has eased off now and skin is thankfully improving so will be cancelling the GP appointment.
Nightmare re the pushchair cava hope you are coping!
It's sunny here today am hoping to improve my mood by going out for a bit!

Cavatina Wed 01-May-13 20:48:51

helloo lovelies, it has been madly busy here and I am tired.
chick dont worry about the weight you can always lose it if you put your mind to it! Vitamins will help, I got myself some over the weekend ans it tirns out I am vit D deficient not difficult with the lack of sun for the last year(s).
wound glad dd is getting better, envy for nice weekend with family.
So pushchair arrived this morning, relief! So I am mobile again i time for the nice weather we are having here.
We moved babyCava to her own room and big cot yesterday. I cried. She cried. From 8 to 10pm, Lots of pupd, shushing, cuddling but she finally fell asleep after a quick feed at 10. Woke up 11 and 12 but settled within two min then feed at 4 and slept until 7.30. So I count this as a success. Day two not sure yet, outside her room, she is not asleep yet, we will see. I have mixed feelings but dp is right it will be good for all of us, and in any case no room for the cot on our bedroom so wish me luck Very tired and emotional.
hope sleep is improving all aroung
xx

RunningOutOfIdeas Wed 01-May-13 22:51:59

Evening all. Cava hope the sleeping is going well. Chick my overly drastic method of weight loss has been to have my gall bladder removed! When pg with DD2 it became infected and had small gall stones. So I had to be very careful about what I ate while pg to avoid emergency surgery. I then had it removed in January. Now my guts get their revenge if I eat too much chocolate fat. Hope you get to the weight you want in a nicer way.

The last few days have been very up and down for me. Last Friday I started suffering with a horrible cold, went to my office with DD2 to pick up my laptop and get things sorted for returning to work and it was my birthday which, with DH being away, was a non-event.

Sunday was DD1's birthday party. We did it at a soft play so I only had to bring party bags and cake. I think it went ok. I was really tired by the end if it. Sunday evening DD2 started sneezing. She has caught my cold. Poor thing has been really struggling to settle at night. She wants her dummy but can't breathe through her nose. Monday and Tuesday she was so grumpy each night I was up and down like a yo-yo. She seems to be better this evening.

Today was my first day back at work and DD2's first full day of nursery. I was quite pleased that I managed to get us all out of the house this morning with each DD taking the right things to school and nursery.

DD2 had a good day at nursery. She had just a few tears when she was tired but was fighting going to sleep - too many more interesting things to do. I am really pleased she has the same key worker that DD1 had 4.5 years ago. All the children seem to like her.

Hope every one gets a good night of sleep.

Cavatina Thu 02-May-13 08:53:59

running you are a legend managing on your own with two los and return to work! I went to work for lunch with colleagues yesterday and did not even want to think abour returning (due beg Octobervso very lucky) + in denial about childcare, not done anything yet and proly too late for nursery now(LDN massively oversubscribed....). I hope you have a nice bday celebration once dh is back.
I am here to report that second night in own room was success. No cry last night asleep by 9pm, stirred 12.45 so fed for 10min and she was then back in cot and asleep until 7.30am! obv I did not sleep as well as expected as kept going down to check on her but still massive improvement. fingers cross we cracked it. She is now having her first nap in my bed ( I took her in for feed and cuddles and she dosed off 40min ago). am a new person! will have to tackle naps in own cot next. But there is hope for us all that it will all pass eventually.
hope sun is shining where you are
x

woundbobbin Thu 02-May-13 10:22:07

Morning all
Running that all sounds very impressive I think I'd probably fall asleep at my desk if I went back to work now am still hoping I can stretch it out till August / September if we only eat beans! My mum & dad are going to do the childcare so I'm hugely lucky in that respect!
Well done cava on your second night without baby cava - sounds like you are getting a bit more sleep which is brilliant !
Sleep is improving a bit here dd managing 3 hour chunks over night which isn't to awful - she is dropping feeds in the day and goes a good 6 hours without milk which is a shame as I hoped she'd drop the night feeds 1st (naive).
Dd was 7 months yesterday given that I've never managed to keep a pot plant alive I'm chuffed to have made it this far - am slowly adding diary & wheat back into her diet have made her lentil & watercress & onion for lunch dunno what I'm having probably not something that middle class ?toast.
Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine if you have it.

RunningOutOfIdeas Tue 07-May-13 21:00:09

Hope every one had a lovely sunny weekend.

DD2's sleep has gone totally wrong. I think I managed about 3 hours in total last night. Same the night before. I don't know what to do to improve it since I don't know why it has changed. I feel so knackered with being back at work too. Wish DH was here to help.

woundbobbin Tue 07-May-13 22:11:52

Oh no running you poor thing. Can you put her in your bed with you? It's the only thing that gets me consecutive sleep. Fingers crossed you get a better night!

Cavatina Thu 09-May-13 09:52:11

helloo, it is really quiet here. We were away formthe weekend, was lovely.
running must be so hard with no sleep working and on your own. I feel for you, I dont get much more than 3h either to be honest, last few days really bad, waiking up every 30min between 8 and midnight. I blame it on teething, is your dd2 similar age? babyCava is 7 months in a bit more than a week and no teeth yet. Last night it looked like she was in pain so gave her calpol and she slept for 4h uninterrupted(until stupid house alarm went off at 1am and freaked everyone out!).
wound since moved to her own room, in bed with me no longer worksm only for the first feed around 7ish (still feed two times between bedtime and 7am).
was telling dp at 3am last night will call sleeping clinic first thing this morning as running out of ideas (sorry runninggrin ) how to handle it...
how is weaning going? BabyCava went nuts for strawberries and orange...
hope everyone is enjoying the weather

slightlyroundthebend Thu 09-May-13 10:00:23

Morning lovelies, sorry I've been awol poorly baba, bank hols and broken phone!

Hope everyone is keeping well?

cava weaning going well although in worried I should be adding finger foods/ more variety? How did you feed the strawberry and orange? I feel a bit like ds is just get the same stuff everyday? I've batch made foods but starting to understand why people do the jars there seems more variety. Gosh these babies are a worry! Are they ok to have scrambled eggs yet? Anyone else feeling totally overwhelmed?

Cavatina Thu 09-May-13 10:55:44

slightly i hold the strawberry and she sicks/eats it, same with orange, cut segments and remove skin, she loves it. Also give her as finger food but mostly ends on floor. I am worried too about not introducing enough, pediatrician told me there is a window 17-32 weeks to introduce as much as possible, which makes 3 days new food introduction hard to follow, he not bothered with it obv.Also Bf babies alreay have tasted quite a bit through the bm, so I would not worry too uch about it I decide... I am making purees but also gave her ella's kitchen lentil thingy as not sure how she will take lentils which could be boring and hard on tummy imo and I was not going to waste time cooking it. No salt or sugar is a good rule until 1yo, eggs not before 7months and then hsrd boiled/well cooked (not soft which ruins it sad Alergies a a worry but if you do not have a family history probably will be ok. Advice varies s much it is bloody confusing.
I feed babyCava three meals with bf inbetween and she seems to be doing ok weight wise. Thinking of slowly introducing bottles as would not be able to bf beyond 9 months I think and would like to take it slowly..
hope this is useful , pls share any tips! x

Cavatina Thu 09-May-13 11:17:09

hm contrary babyCava still asleep after being brought up to our bed for a feed at 7.30am, wtf??

woundbobbin Thu 09-May-13 16:13:36

Hello everyone.
Had wondered where everyone had gone thought you might all be enjoying 12 hours sleep but obviously not sounds like we are all still in need of a dream sheep!
Weaning going ok here but I worry a lot about lack of variety - I'm a very beige eater I have had a cheese ham and pickle sandwich for lunch nearly every day of my adult life! I've got 7 frozen meals in the freezer which I've made myself and I give one of those a day. I have given scrambled egg before dd was 7mths (but I'm not really sure of the guidelines) dd likes finger food but finds fruit slippy she will demolish rice cakes toast fingers and cubes of cheese she also likes broccoli because its got a good handle avocado is good as well if its not to ripe.
I've put some formula on my ocado shopping for next week want to give it go so I can get to Eddie Izzard at the end of the month & a hen do next month!

Thechick Fri 10-May-13 05:42:19

I'm still here.
I've been awake since 4 when little one woke up but he's asleep and I'm not. We are both good. H has a little bit of a cold, but he's good. He's got a tooth coming through and has been biting everyone including me. I'm a bit worried about the variety of H's food too. I think I need to get a bit more organised and chose foods dependent on their nutritional value.

And I hear you Cava with London nurseries being over subscribed. The one we really liked had a waiting list of 12-18 months. That's crazy.

Cavatina Fri 10-May-13 21:50:33

ayeeewound Eddie Izzard! super jealous! love the man, is he on tour?
<goes away to google him>
12 h sleep hahaha! not really...
chick similar here, she goes back to sleep but I cannot, is really annoying. I am a bit of an insomniac anyway, need to sleep train myself to sleep again, some time before she is 18....
We regressed a bit with weaning last couple of days as she has been really fussy and today at tea time was off her food, so checked temperature, 38.9C, so calpol quick bath and feed and she is now asleep. No idea what is wrong no obvious symptoms, could it be teeth? will monitor overnight. sigh

RunningOutOfIdeas Sat 11-May-13 07:36:27

Morning all. Hope babycava is ok.

I do wish DD2 could tell me her plans for each night. At the start of the week her sleep was best described as crap. Then I had a couple of nights that were better but she needing feeding at around 3am. Finally the last 2 nights I have only had to give her a dummy a couple of times.

Weaning is going ok. We are still on fairly smooth purees though. She does have a go at bread sticks and Organix carrot sticks but ignores anything else. The amount she eats varies massively from one day to the next.

RunningOutOfIdeas Sat 11-May-13 09:10:42

oh bugger. DD2 threw up her bottle of milk. She is now asleep on me. I hope this isn't another stomach bug but it probably is.

Cavatina Sat 11-May-13 10:38:45

running hope it is not a stomach bug, they are pita! and obv theybdid not get the memo about night plans, so it is a bit like russian roulette, I do find it very stressful. At least looks like babyrunning is improving on sleep.
BabyCava still running temperature this morning, no obvious symptoms, but very tired and grumpy. so am I tbh, dp away again for a week, so doing it on my own, so running not sure how you manage with two and working as well, makes me feel really bad for moaning..
phoned gp they advised taker her to A&E, but I am not hanging around for 6h there and exposing her to all the bugs around, so made the appt with the private paeds for home visit, someone is coming in a couple of hours. Between this and the vet bills proly will have to wean babyCava on beans on toast.. hope weekend is improving for everyone

woundbobbin Sun 12-May-13 21:53:55

Tonight I'm doing an experiment. During one of my very many wake ups last night I decided the reason dd wakes so often is because she can't get comfy in the bag (clutching at straws) so I googled alternatives to baby sleeping bags and found hundreds (one) person who said baby sleeping bags are the devils tool and a swop to fleecy sleepsuits & a blanket = 12hrs sleep! Hundreds (one) person can't be wrong so I've purchased said fleecy sleep suit and blanket is at the ready (desperate much). Will report back tomorrow to let you know if its more successful than the bloody Winnie the Pooh projector! grin

woundbobbin Sun 12-May-13 21:54:51

Ps already not a great start as its nearly ten & dd not yet in bed!!

woundbobbin Sun 12-May-13 21:56:16

Pps on a more serious note hope babycava & baby running are feeling better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now