Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Will the Easter Bunny visit our babies?

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Mon 18-Mar-13 08:40:32
ValiumQueen Thu 21-Mar-13 08:39:43

pp you are not a twat. You are awesome. When the word twat, or similar pops in your head on relation to you, insert awesome. Twat still applies to DHs and other drivers, and most HCPs. Ok? Do I have to dispatch another fish?

Pikz Thu 21-Mar-13 08:43:41

VQ I think PP needs some pilchards dispatching...

PetiteRaleuse Thu 21-Mar-13 08:43:58

pp you are not a twat. End of. Gve yourself a break.

In fact I think we should have a quiche pledge to give ourselves some breaks. Group slap over the face with a tuna fish (they're big so will be effective) , deep breath and relax.

Did that work?

BigPigLittlePig Thu 21-Mar-13 08:53:31

pr can you give it to her at the same time as she's feeding? When F needed calpol, I'd sneak it in mid-way through a mouthful of milk, she was much less surprised this way.

stunt dh has agreed I can dispose of the boxes of videos, with the exception of the Only Fools & Horses ones. Now, OFAH is shown all the time on tv and we do not have a tape player. Despite this, he still won't let me chuck them. Men are weird.

pidj <reinforcement slap with a nice bit of cod>

I am thankful for my healthy baby.
I am thankful for her smiles and giggles.
I am thankful for dh when he's not being a prick
I am above thankful for the quiche, who are the collective font of all knowledge.

Passmethecrisps Thu 21-Mar-13 08:57:21

Super-fast post.

pr one way of getting meds in is to lie LO out on your knee or on the floor. Point the syringe into her cheek. Gently squeeze meds out then blow onto her face. This should make her swallow. We also used to split any dose into a few smaller doses and give her her dummy in between. Eventually she got wise and we were losing too much. I now give p her meds in a bottle mixed with a minute amount of milk

vq get that leg seen to!

pp you are an inspiration - nothing to feel guilty about.

Passmethecrisps Thu 21-Mar-13 09:00:07

Also. Twat is the only word my mum has ever told me off for using. Weird.

YellowWellies Thu 21-Mar-13 09:05:49

BPLP, PR on behalf of my marine biologist DH I am compelled to remove the endangered fish species (cod and blue fin tuna) from our slapping artillery. smile

Sophia get it out. Enough now my love. Its DH's turn to take one for the team - snip snip. Medicine is still so sexist - if a fella had been losing that much blood out of their bits they'd have been air ambulanced by now!

VQ fingers, toes, eyes and legs crossed for the docs today.

pass I can have some pepperoni (no double entendres intended) but a lot of meat like that uses soy or milk as a cheap filler. Chorizo seems OK nom nom. smile Can I place my pizza order now?

Elizadoesdolittle Thu 21-Mar-13 09:09:22

As ever thanks guys. I think just writing it down like that made it seem so awful. It isn't. She's doing great and is a beautiful chunky monkey now.

Funnily enough I remembered last night that I had upper lip tie. Although back in the day I doubt it was called that. The top of my lip was attached to a bit of skin in between my top front teeth. I had it snipped. I must have been about 5 though as I remember it. I clearly remember coming round from the general anaesthetic. I have no idea if my mum had trouble bf me. I know I was bf and I remember that I didn't eat much as my mum used to say she didn't know how I grew as I ate so little. No issues with that now unfortunately! I'll have to ask my mum about it.

Going to hire a double pump from the bf support group this morning so that should help me.

So sorry to hear of bad nights all round. Special hugs to stunt

Passmethecrisps Thu 21-Mar-13 09:09:50

Dough is in the fridge yw om nom

BigPigLittlePig Thu 21-Mar-13 09:15:18

yw blush <hands back cod>

eliza any chance of a pic on fb to show off the chubby cheeks? I bet she's almost unrecognisable now, there was a huge difference after even a few days!

16 kids and counting - one of the mums just said that some nights she doesn't even get to bed. Another has 5 kids in nappies. Gah. I'm thankful that's not me.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 21-Mar-13 09:15:27

Thanks for the tips. Can't mix it with milk though it's too thick to get through the teats plus I'd be worried that if I did that and she didn't finish the feed then I wouldn't know how much of the medication she has had.. I'm very very obsessive about correct dosage with antibiotics.

Sorry YW shall replace tuna with those oversized goldfish that stuff ponds all over suburbia. Yes, I know they are expensive but I have rarely seen a pond that doesn't have too many of the poor things in there. Being used to slap the quiche would put them out of their misery. Hope your husband approves of that.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 21-Mar-13 09:16:13

<releases tuna back into the wild to the severe disappotment of the cats>

glendatheveryexcitedwitch Thu 21-Mar-13 09:18:13

Again this morning dots fed for a few minutes and then kept pulling off so changed sides and the same - think she's getting impatient as my milk doesn't flow as fast as the bottles - think I'm going to give in and ff her sad so sad but if it means she gets what she needs as soon as she needs it then it must be for the best - just heartbreaking for me - still have stinking headache and full day at uni and feeling rather low - sorry for the spill and run am just awaiting my lift!!

Hope everyone has a good day x

ChunkyEasterChick Thu 21-Mar-13 09:26:19

Well behind, but have just read your Next issue detective. I feel fairly sure that the Sale of Goods Act (not sure year, 1984 maybe? Def got a 4 in there somewhere...) states that a product should be "fit for purpose". Ergo, a shop selling a product that is faulty should replace or refund it. You'd have to use Google to check consumer rights, but I believe there can be no time-limit to faulty refunds. What if a saucepan is used a few times in a month & the handle falls off? It is no longer fit for purpose... I think that shops offering "no fault" returns are entitled to put deadlines on this but faulty products are different.

MsJupiterJones Thu 21-Mar-13 09:30:56

Ooh I got namechecked in the round up!

Just read everything since last night.

VQ GO AND SORT YOUR LEG AND ASSORTED BITS OUT.

Eliza you know I think you're blimmin amazing and you haven't failed one tiny bit. Our stories are similar and L only turned a corner because he was able to take a bottle. I felt shit about it all until recently when I started to feel really fucking angry about it. I saw every hcp in the book and no-one helped my boy. We have both done an outstanding job esp given the circumstances. I am dancing round you with pompoms and a red skirt shouting, give us an E! It is not a pretty sight.

I am thankful that L is asleep. He nearly broke me last night. Stunt I have not had it as bad as you and the one thing that saves me is DH getting up every single bloody morning with L and letting me sleep on for a bit (and often returning him with breakfast). Your DH needs to step up pronto. Guitar fucking stuff my arse.

Yeah so after 2 bottles (ebm & f) at 6.30, L fed at 9.30pm, 12, 2am, 4am (with no sleep between 2-4) and then I have no idea what happened as I fell asleep at 5 and woke up at 9 with L asleep next to me & a msg from DH saying he had had a bottle etc. So I am very thankful for this.

Better be a bloody growth spurt.

Evilwater Thu 21-Mar-13 09:34:36

I might need a fish slap too.
Would I be mad to; go on a 4x4 off roading holiday, having never done any off roading?

I am thankful for my wonderful baby,
Food, and a warm house,
My car that works,

Evil

TheDetective Thu 21-Mar-13 09:35:09

I was going to come and whinge about DP's shitty night. But I see others had really really shit ones. <Backs away from fred slowly>

Erm.

VQ Get thee to the doctors! Consider yourself nagged!

Pidj (((((((((fishslap))))))))) you are doing an amazing job. Nuff said. <does 'respect' fist to pidj>

YW Romance is similar in this house grin. Glad I'm not the only one!

BPLP Also thankful wrote thankfuck, that is not a typo! that I do not have 16 kids. As much as I am sure I would love each one. Fuck no.

Stunt It is time to take action. DH needs to stop being a selfish twat, and take care of his lovely wife. Alternatively, you could just fuck off to a b&b or something for the night if he refuses grin.

I am thankful we are seeing a consultant today. O fed 4 times with piddly amounts last night, bad sleep, unsettled, and generally being a horror a grump. He just seems to build a tolerance to stuff. confused Although this is the longest he has been okay since 10 weeks. So I shall be thankful for that and pray this is just a temporary blip!.

Probably won't get back on til tonight now. God help me catching up!

StuntNun Thu 21-Mar-13 09:45:53

BPLP it's the original Star Wars videos that he's convinced are worth something. Yeah right, bet no one else bought those! And he has Jaws on video and on DVD twice (UK and USA versions) and on Blu-Ray!

Sophia our buyers couldn't get a mortgage so house move is on hold BUT the boys' school is under threat of closure so if it closes we would probably buy a different house to the one we currently have an offer on as its main appeal is walking distance to school.

VQ every night I say I'm starting formula tomorrow and every day I say I'll give it another day. J had baby rice yesterday though so I don't have to worry about this virgin gut business any more.

I have decided that it's sink or swim time. Either last night was me reaching the end of my rope, or that was the worst it's going to be and things will only improve from now on. So I'm off out to address a few things that have been bothering me for a while in the house and I'm going to list a couple of things for sale to start work on the clutter. The sleep issue is going to be harder to resolve. Laudenam perhaps?

ValiumQueen Thu 21-Mar-13 10:22:24

J slept from 10 to 7 with wakings at 2 for an hour and 5 for half an hour. Wheeze and SOB continues so this morning he has had boobie only. He only had a short feed in the night but could not settle due to cough, wheeze, abdo discomfort and wind.

I have my three bits of paper ready for the Dr and HV with my list of demands clearly identified, and with rationale. I need to get URTI ruled out before I kick off about formula, but he has all the symptoms of CMPI and lactose intolerance, so I will not settle for anything less than hydrolysed formula. I am not cutting out one thing at a time, he is 21 weeks ffs! It all goes, and gets re-introduced gradually. Enough fucking about.

stunt I still wonder if there is lactose overload with you. Solids will hopefully help, like it did with your other child. I wonder if you are so in your situation you cannot see the wood for the trees, especially due to extreme tiredness. You are superb at offering advice to others, but it is pretty impossible to do that to ourselves, and heed it. You have done so very well to EBF him this long.

Since starting on formula, J got rapidly better, and now is getting increasingly worse due to other issues. From a feeding point of view for me, it is wonderful to be using a bottle as I have so much more time, and can plonk him on someone's lap and say 'feed him'. The bottles are an expense that I resent, and a faff, but the peace of mind is pretty awesome, although now I think bottle and boob are harming him, although that should be sorted today.

If I were to have a 4th, the first thing I would do is check for a fucking lip and tongue tie, and would mix feed from the beginning. I have totally changed my view of formula over the last few months.

Contradictionincarnate Thu 21-Mar-13 10:27:09

oh pr using a koi sounds bad to me ... not sure why I am a fish keeper and veggie but some how seems worse plus they are not very flat ... communal kipper I like the sound of...

Contradictionincarnate Thu 21-Mar-13 10:28:12

or for more accurate alliteration ...communal colley (sp one l or two)

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Thu 21-Mar-13 10:41:40

Morning all, VQ, get your leg seen to. PP, you're ace, stop feeling guilty. stunt, if I lived closer I'd come and give you the day off. contra, hang in there cariad, always remember, things could be worse, you could be an English rugby supporter. chasing, stay strong, you are amazing. detective, hopefully it's just a blip ((hugs)).

High fives to everyone else on the Fred. I think Mrs Luis needs to come out of hiding, isn't it lurker amnesty day also?

I'm thankful that I've only changed one green nappy in 24 hours, that is a massive improvement. I'm thankful that I have managed to change my feeding technique enough so that B is feeding better and is much happier.

Kyzordz Thu 21-Mar-13 10:46:12

Noo bplp ofah should never be chucked (avid fan here lol)

Sorry to those with shitty nights sad particularly you stunt, sounds like you really need a break!

No idea on giving meds pr I always get it spat back too sad

det hope o is ok

vq good luck with j at clinic, hope they can help

Today I am thankful that E did his 8 hours unbroken again, thank merry fuck, I did need it! He has been waking alot but not for food during the night, usually to talk to toys etc but not last night thank god

I am also thankful for dp, he's not always the very best but he's pretty damn good and I couldn't be without him

I am very thankful for music, especially Bon jovi. Been through some pretty tough times and it helps to be able to sing scream along to songs that convey my mood. Thick as thieves is keeping me cheery and positive ATM. Yesterday I felt down and out, but dp told me to listen to it, bless him.

It's taken me literally hours to post this and I bet you've all said loads!

PetiteRaleuse Thu 21-Mar-13 10:49:10

Any med people want to reassure me that this ear infection / perforated ear drum can't be linked to her being dropped on her head 2 months ago?

Kyzordz Thu 21-Mar-13 10:52:42

Ended up bloody disjointed cos it took forever to post. Meant to say I love Bon jovi in particular cos listening to their music made it all easier to deal with iyswim

This thread is not accepting new messages.