Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2013 Part Two: Coos and smiles but not always so much sleep...

(1000 Posts)

Our first thread has almost finished so I thought we'd need a new one!

Problem solved, sent ds1 out to shop after breakfast for bread. Thank god for older dcs grin

Ivy has decided sleeping properly in day is noy for her! She slept wel last night (under piles of blankets..boy was it cold) but for the last few days when she needs to sleep in day sje will only stay asleep for a few mins, then cries as she is tired! Is frustrating! so have managed to keep her sleeping by running the hoover hmm

No sign of gas man yet tho i made sure he was aware we have a 10 week old so we should be a priority sad

Pascha Fri 15-Mar-13 13:05:08

DS1 has a big cotbed which will last him til about school age. Dan has his crib at present and, because of the size of the boxroom he will go into, he is having SILs old standard size cot. This means we have until he's about 18-20 months old to get the bathroom and the 3rd bedroom swapped around to accommodate a bed before he climbs out of the cot (and he will I guarantee it).

DS1s bed is a Boori. Its huge so no danger of him outgrowing it for 2 or 3 years yet.

octanegirl Fri 15-Mar-13 13:05:59

Off skiing today! Wohoo! Though there is more kit in the car for LO than for me, ironically. Buggy, carrcot, car seat, clothes, bouncy chair, baby monitor, a million nappies, bags of cotton wool, breast pump, cool box with frozen breast milk...the list goes on. Not to mention some very snazzy BabyBanz sunglasses for him!

Pascha Fri 15-Mar-13 13:11:33

and now I have to clear up PooSoup! I hate leaky nappies angry

Glad to hear DD is better Lost

Pascha Fri 15-Mar-13 13:12:58

envyenvyenvy

Have a good trip.

envy

does anyone else worry that their baby is always miserable? she sleeps well but if she's awake she's only happy with a boob in her mouth.

octane envy

we have a cotbed for dd setup in the nursery but it's now dawning on me that she will soon be too big for her Moses basket but I want to keep her in our room a while longer. I can't work out how we can rearrange the bedroom so that the cotbed would fit though.

Mrsbugsy i worry about this as you have just described Ivy! I think the others were the same at this stage too so pretty sure its a passing thing! [hopeful]

Called gas comp part on order should arrive monday shock so no hot water or heating all weekend sad. we have a portable heater now as upstairs roims are arctic! and using paper plates etc to save on washing up smile

Hi everybody! I was on the ante-natal thread but got a bit lost in the move over here. Hopefully it's not too late to catch up with you all!

Our beautiful boy was born on Jan 22nd, 2 days after my due date. My waters went before I had any contractions so there was a bit of concern about infection if I didn't go into labour naturally, but fortunately the contractions started a few hours later. I didn't get my lovely MLU birth in the end though - DS's hearbeat started dipping so we were blue-lighted to the big hospital. Utterly terrifying at the time, and the midwife wouldn't put the monitors on in the ambulance, I was convinced we'd lost him. We nearly didn't make it to the hospital and at one point there was talk of pulling over so he could be delivered in the ambulance. Fortunately we made it and he was delivered safe and sound 20 minutes after we got there (we arrived and the midwife said "I'm just going to exam you... Oh. PUSH!") I was a bit annoyed actually as I'd been desperate to push for a while and was being told not to.

Had some problems with breastfeeding at first (had the latch wrong and the aftercare at the hospital was useless, nobody had time to help me). All going well now though, DS is gaining weight. He's just starting to smile, which is lovely.

Right, I'm going to try and catch up with this thread before he wakes up again!

lollipoppi Fri 15-Mar-13 21:26:40

Welcome back cupcakes!

Mrsbugsy, DD is EXACTLY the same! I was getting a bit worried! She has some lovely awake time after her feeds but then it just seems like she gets bored and cries

DD has been awake since 12.30 apart from a 20 minute sleep, I was hoping this would mean a nice early night for us all but she is now way over tired and I'm fighting a losing battle ....... Off to stand under the extractor fan for a while smile

welcome back cupcakes

glad to hear that dd isn't the only grumpy baby out there, hopefully this is just a phase.

hope everyone is having a good night.

Lora1982 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:58:49

9 hours sleep!!!! So usually he has a nap between 12 and 4 in the afternoon. He didnt want to do that yesterday spent mostof his time on my nip. Well he finally stopped eating playing and watching tv at half 11 ladt night and hes still asleep now.. Its a one off isnt it?? :-D

birdies Sat 16-Mar-13 10:16:30

Thanks for the advice on cot beds. pascha those boori ones look really nice, i like the idea of non-mdf. Are they expensive?

mrsbugsy, no. But....I worry about her not deliberately hitting things with her hands yet. I expect everyone on here worries about something to do with baby though - but the milestones are just a guide. And some babies are more serious than others, doesn't mean yours isn't happy!

Welcome back cupcakes

octane have a lovely time. Double envy

We had an old style night last night (ie not much sleep). I'm convinced its cos I went back to feeding on demand yesterday so she never got a really good feed in one go. Going to try every 3 hour feeds again and see if she goes back to long sleeps. Will report back! lora I'm pretty sure the more they eat in the day, the less they wake at night so it makes sense!

happyhow Sat 16-Mar-13 10:50:04

Bloody postman just banged the door so loudly that it woke Bailey. It's taken 20 mins to stop him screaming. Not impressed.

Lora1982 Sat 16-Mar-13 11:26:47

Has anyone used fenugreek before? I read about it last night and it seems to work according to the masses. How long do you generally take it for

Tugstonia Sat 16-Mar-13 12:26:11

lora I started using fenugreek a week ago and has def made a difference to my supply, am feeling what I assume is a strong let down for first time and dd is feeding round the clock shock. Could be a coincidence of course but the b'feeding counsellor who recommended it for my supply raved about it. It has made my sweat and wee smell though - grim! grin

Is anyone else using nipple shields? I can't get dd to latch without them, at least not without it really bloody hurting. I don't want to use them because they're a pain in the arse & I'm worried they're affecting my supply. But I guess if I wasn't using them I wouldn't be breastfeeding...

Louise85 Sat 16-Mar-13 12:28:39

Just wondering if any of u bottle feed? Wondering how old they are before dropping the middle-of-the-night feed?

Lora1982 Sat 16-Mar-13 12:53:49

I used nipshields for while they were a god send but since the nipples kind of changed shape and become more flexible i dont need it.

Getting me some fenugreek today then. My dp shouldnt mind if i stink of curry :-D how long do you take it for or do you just carry on taking it?

Tugstonia Sat 16-Mar-13 13:03:22

Not sure how long to take it for, will ask bf counsellor & let u know what she suggests.

lollipoppi Sat 16-Mar-13 13:15:12

Louise I'm bottle feeding, DD is 7 weeks and has her last 4oz bottle between 10/11 and generally goes 7 hours after that x

Hormonalhell Sat 16-Mar-13 13:32:44

I bottle feed but it's very hit n miss, sometimes he sleeps six hours n other times it's 3, just depends how much he had thru day really

He 10 weeks n weighs 11lb 8 now, was only 6lb 4 at birth shock

Hormonalhell Sat 16-Mar-13 13:35:50

Mrsbugsy Charlie is a very grumpy baby, feel like he doesn't like me most of time hmm

Hormonalhell Sat 16-Mar-13 13:39:46

I'm really into astrology n star signs and now convinced after reading about these grumpy babies it's because they are capricorns!! grin they are known for being grumpy especially when tired

Pascha Sat 16-Mar-13 14:06:53

Hmm that fits Daniel's personality Hormonal even though I think Astrology is a load of old tripe I must admit he is a grumpy miserable bugger at times grin.

He is smiling a lot in between the grumps though, he reserves the best ones for his brother who comes at him with a car in one hand, a plane in the other and a glint in his eye as he aims to beep Dan's nose and 'accidently' gets his eye instead hmm. I shall only relax once Daniel is a bit bigger and can bat his brother back...

Pascha Sat 16-Mar-13 14:09:03

Hormonal ivy started at 5lb 12 and is now 13lb 9 at 10 weeks! <<preens>> <<falls over in exhausted heap from feeding massive baby>> Am now making her wait at least 2 hours beteen feeds as hv at clinic was a bit hmm about her jumping centiles.

Not sure about astrology. Ds2 also capricorn and he is a cheerful soul also quite mad Ivy has days where she is just cranky but then spents ages grinning at ds2 this am

This thread is not accepting new messages.