Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

January 2013 Part Two: Coos and smiles but not always so much sleep...

(1000 Posts)

Our first thread has almost finished so I thought we'd need a new one!

Lora1982 Tue 02-Apr-13 01:44:09

I thought dexter had a hernia but the nurse said it was fine. From what i read when i was worrying myself to death theres nothing much they can do anyway so they do just leave it to sort itself out... As far as i know anyway, im no expert.

I shall go figure out how tochange my profile then

Lora1982 Tue 02-Apr-13 02:10:01

P.s. Im glad hes a boy because his 'goods' help
prevent frontal explosions. Although i still contend with leg leak and up the backers. I blame dps poor nappy skills. He also does a massive relief grin when hes finished grunting his poo out. I often wonder if hel still need to grunt like that when hes older and then promply imagine the scene in my head shock

Hope everyones getting sleepies!

glorious Tue 02-Apr-13 04:24:42

That's promising then angielka. Were you happy with what you used? No experience of umbilical hernia here I'm afraid but another one with a birthmark, which is on her thigh
I didn't realise they were so common.

Angielka Tue 02-Apr-13 05:53:59

Ahhh, Dexter's lovely. They all are.

glorious Yeah, we used a mixture of popolini and flip by bumgenius, but we're not in the UK and different places have different makes although as far as I can tell there are a few main types and once you have one you like, different brands make similar ones. If you have a nappy library nearby, I know i t's a bit of an odd concept but I'd advise trying a few different kinds out before you buy big quantities.

happyhow Tue 02-Apr-13 07:56:28

4am is not playtime. The milk fountain soaking my side of the bed and subsequent choking at 5.30am was not a fun experience and the still awake baby and I are going to fall out at some point.

CreepyCrawly Tue 02-Apr-13 08:41:41

Everyone has such lovely babies! It's so nice to put faces to names smile

glorious Tue 02-Apr-13 08:43:41

Thanks angielka, we're trying a few out and have narrowed it down a bit but not quite there yet.

happy I feel your pain. Ellen used to be such a good sleeper, I don't know what has gone wrong sad

happyhow Tue 02-Apr-13 08:50:03

He has topped it off in the last 30 mins with a leaky nappy that resulted in a bath. Got him dressed to walk through to the kitchen for him to puke all down me and new baby gro. As I type this, he has just done another poo. It remains to be seen if this will result in another change of clothing... He's giggling on the changing mat so I suspect it will. Xx

happyhow Tue 02-Apr-13 09:09:01

It resulted in a change of vest and probs should've been another bath. Today is not going to go well.

glorious Tue 02-Apr-13 09:12:15

oh happy it's all coming at once isn't it. Perhaps that's it for the day? Have a brew and some of your Easter egg (I had mine for breakfast!)

Happy I feel your pain. I had Cameron all dressed and lovely today, but she'd eaten too much and threw up all over us both. The gannet.

lollipoppi Tue 02-Apr-13 09:34:30

Hormonal I am sulking too as I'm on the silly phone, I shall go and put the iPad on charge and sort my profile out!

Speaking if poo ... DD squeals when she is pooing!! She holds her breath and kind of sucks in like she is gasping for breath ...... I was about a second away from phoning an ambulance the first time she did it .... That would have been embarrassing! shock
In other poo news .. DS1 has had the trots all weekend, we have gone from a water texture to cow pat texture now, I've never looked forward to him having a solid poo so much

Pascha Tue 02-Apr-13 09:57:02

Ds1's poo is always cowpat texture. I hope it improves when we toilet train.

All these babies! Really brings it home how many of us there are. My lovely boy is fast asleep in his swing chair wearing one of DS1's old dungarees. I spent a good hour earlier sorting out his clothing situation. He has far far far too many. Some new ones given over easter will probably never be worn. I don't quite know what to do with them all.

Pascha i was given loads by well meaning peeps when Ivy arrived unexpectedly early but she only wore sleepsuits until abour last week so i gave loads to my local charity shop. They have a lovely selection of new baby clothes now. And i have picked up some bargains like a new snowsuit for £2 and a grobag sleeping bag for £1.50

Pascha Tue 02-Apr-13 10:46:01

Daft isn't it? My mum is the worst for arriving with a new tshirt or something every time I see her. Its lovely but totally pointless. We went to Bluewater last week and I had to restrain her lots. In Baby Gap she couldn't understand why I wasn't picking up everything I remotely liked for her to buy. I told her it was silly when its all summer stuff and I don't know how big Daniel will be when (if)its warm enough to wear any of it. Got her to buy bigger stuff for DS1 instead and just one outfit for Dan.

I have about 4 snowsuits that DS1 never ever wore and are the wrong size for Daniel. They might go on ebay in september/october and hopefully if I sell all 4 I will have enough for a new one in the right size.

birdies Tue 02-Apr-13 11:24:28

I've just looked at all the babies, so cute!

I have the same problem with clothes. It's my own fault though. I bought a gorgeous baby Boden set of dungarees and whilst sorting clothes yesterday realised she's outgrown them and never even worn them. AND I took the label off. Lesson for next baby is not to get anything less than 3 months as mainly they live in comfy sleepsuits until a bit older. I wish I hadn't taken labels off all the gifts as well as most of them have also gone unworn. Bollocks.

I have a wonderful friend who always buys lovely clothes for my dc but she alwaya gets 6-9 or 9-12 month stuff which i love her for smile she has 2'boys now herself and i did the same when they were born. The only drawback is i.have some lovelt outfits for Ivy that i'm really looking forward to her wearing smile

salt1 Tue 02-Apr-13 12:06:33

How do i put up a photo ... Thanks x

Lora1982 Tue 02-Apr-13 12:31:34

I work at boden and get a massive allowance which ive not even touched for dexter cos ive been given loads. Plus dont tell them i said -(cos i want a job to go back to in october) but the choice for baby boys is rubbish. Itl come in handy when we get boring and theres someone else with a newer baby to buy for :-D

Wuxiapian Tue 02-Apr-13 12:45:26

Tut.

I'm the same. DS has already outgrown much of the (mass-bought) 0-3 month clothes - without even wearing them! I assumed he'd still be too small or them!

On another subject: vomiting! Does anyone else's baby vomit some after their feeds? DS been doing this for the past couple weeks; tres frustrating!

All gorgeous babies, by the way!!

Tugstonia Tue 02-Apr-13 13:15:21

Hi ladies, hope you all had a good easter smile. Loving all the baby pics! They're all gorgeous. I'll try to figure out how to put one on my profile in a minute.

I am at my wits end with sleep - DD (9 weeks tomorrow) just won't go to sleep, day or night. She is so overtired it's ridiculous. Yesterday she had a total of 2 hours sleep all day and about 5 hours in total through the night, waking every hour for a feed or to cry. I don't think she's unwell, just beyond tired. She'll sleep eventually if we take her out in the pram and sometimes in the car, and she'll sleep on me, but that means I don't get any quality sleep and I'm starting to resent her sad I've tried swaddling, slings, rocking, singing, feeding her to sleep, everything. Saturday night was hideous - we were at DP's parents' and I tried to put DD down for a nap at 4pm but she just cried and cried. I had DP's mum making bitchy comments about why couldn't I comfort my own daughter and how she should be sleeping through by now (WTF?) which didn't help, it was just awful. She eventually went to sleep at 10pm after driving round in the car for 45 minutes. I feel like the shittest mum. HELP!

Oh Tugs poor you sad Right first off shes lovely. Has she ever slept i.e. is this a new thing? Growth spurts etc all make them a bit crazy. Ivy is hard when over tired she just fights it..no idea why but they all do that

Your not a shit mum your just having a shit time.

I'm sorry your having such a hard time and wish i could suggest something to help. Instead i offer brew and thanks and hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon x

birdies Tue 02-Apr-13 14:01:13

She's very cute though tugs!

How old is she? I'd be livid if anyone made comments like that to me as it sounds like you're doing your best. Have you ruled something like reflux out?

Hormonalhell Tue 02-Apr-13 14:36:01

Tugs my LO went through this at same age!! He's 12 weeks now and that phase seems to have passed. The crying was unrelenting and I was at my wits end as I'm lone parent too hmm

He's so much happier now, he just seems to have moved on his development and able to smile n coo and engage with me.

All I can say is hold tight smile

glorious Tue 02-Apr-13 15:25:42

Oh tugs you poor thing. DP's mum has clearly forgotten what a 9 week old is like because she's being totally unrealistic. And you are a great mum I'm sure, sounds like you've got her sussed out and you're doing everything you can think of. Does she prefer to be upright? If so perhaps worth looking at silent reflux as birdies says if you haven't already. Otherwise I know lots of babies are like this and it is not anything you're doing. It's not the same but my DD rarely sleeps in the day unless on me so even (normally) good sleepers aren't just being put down and sleeping for hours at this age.

You will get out the other side. And she is lovely, what pretty hair smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.