Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - They WERE sleeping, what happened?

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Tue 26-Feb-13 06:27:42
ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:40:31

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:40:23

l
ast

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:40:15

the

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:40:07

get

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:39:57

will

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:39:49

who

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:39:36

Who's going to get the last post?

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:39:03

*steaks

ShellyBobbs Mon 04-Mar-13 12:38:48

My nana was told to wean my mum at 6 weeks shock . My sisters were weaned at 12 weeks which was the norm then and my other 3 were weaned at 16 weeks which was the advise back then. Little Tommy will be the oldest baby in the family to be weaned bless him. Hubby keeps telling me he's eyeing up hos steals grin

StuntNun Mon 04-Mar-13 12:37:13

The NHS guidelines have signs that your baby is ready for weaning. I'll follow these rather than an absolute date of 24 weeks.

horseylady Mon 04-Mar-13 12:35:11
CandyPop Mon 04-Mar-13 12:34:26

izzy i agree with the other girls. i dont like what your hv is saying. i would go with instinct. Like u said , signs like LO interested in you when you eat, ale to hold things and able to sit. i also havent of link to stomach cancer with early weaning. esp back in the days when we were babies, our mothers started weaning around this age.... i dont believe there are increases cases of stomach cancer due to this.

eliza great news! well done baby eliza!!!

StuntNun Mon 04-Mar-13 12:30:29

Oops sorry Donna I thought I had the hang of this one-handed typing.

REAL LINK TO THE NEW THREAD! www.mumsnet.com/Talk/postnatal_clubs/1698894-November-2012-BFPs-Already-You-girls-are-going-to-have-some-fun

horseylady Mon 04-Mar-13 12:27:39

Yes pr that's why the guidelines changed.

Donnadoon Mon 04-Mar-13 12:25:16

Eh up stunt thats not like you ...there is a prob with the link to new thread smile Are you tired my lovely?

PetiteRaleuse Mon 04-Mar-13 12:23:40

The NHS is advocating BLW? That's surprising.

horseylady Mon 04-Mar-13 12:18:32

izzy the guidelines are that weaning should not happen before 17 weeks. There are no benefits from weaning before 6months and there is a Greater lists of dont feeds before 6 months. My understanding is that if you start at 17 weeks or 26 weeks by about 36 -39 weeks the babies should be eating nearly three meals a day of a balanced diet, with milk feeds but the milk feeds will gradually reduce to 52 weeks.

The nhs is currently advocating blw and so it's advise follows those guidelines. Ill find you the guidelines from nz which are different to those produced by the nhs.

StuntNun Mon 04-Mar-13 12:18:19

Big smile on my face for baby E. Well done Eliza.

Pretty sure there's no link between early weaning and stomach cancer although there are connections with kidney problems and allergies so caution is advised if there is any family history, e.g. I had an egg allergy so egg is one of the last things I introduce when weaning. Realistically it's not like your baby gets to 24 weeks and is suddenly ready to wean. Just wait until you have signs that your baby is ready.

Don't forget the new thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/postnatal_clubs/1693077-November-2012-They-WERE-sleeping-what-happened

PetiteRaleuse Mon 04-Mar-13 12:14:06

Izzy there's no hurry to wean. I'd ignore her if you don't feel your baby is ready. There's no need to wean until 6 months unless your baby is obviously hungry. Next time she asks how often she is waking during the night you don
.t have to tell her the truth. There are some really shite HVs out there. Brilliant ones too I am sure, but seems to be a bit hit and miss judging from the scientific survey which is this thread

BigPigLittlePig Mon 04-Mar-13 12:13:04

I'm following in elizas footsteps of gaining 400g in 3 days - just eaten half a packet of Nice biscuits. They shouldn't label them nice, they should call them minging or some other deterrant-type word to put people off. They're all gone now though, so at least temptation has been removed?

MummaPanda Mon 04-Mar-13 12:11:04

Would*

MummaPanda Mon 04-Mar-13 12:09:40

I'm sure it can't be true but I don't understand why she won't go round scaring mothers like that!! DD seems pretty happy on formula at the month so guess I'll just wait n see.

Hi eliza, I missed what's been going on with your LO but I'm glad to hear she's doing better! N is toungue tied and that stopped her being able to BF properly, but they didn't pick up on it at first, could it be something like that?

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Mon 04-Mar-13 12:07:24

I personally don't feel he is ready to wean. He doesn't seem excessively hungry or anything nor is he interested in food and also he can't sit up! He feeds during the day with good gaps, in fact he goes 4-5 hrs after first feed of day. I've agreed that I will try offer more feeds during the day to see if he will fill up a bit more. I'm just not happy he's ready but didn't successfully articulate that to HV. I said I felt there were good reasons to wait and that WHO advised it, she then spoke over me and said they don't and that they advise FROM 17 weeks. That is not my understanding of the guidance. She was very forceful and I felt cornered!

PetiteRaleuse Mon 04-Mar-13 12:02:51

eliza that's amazing news. You're getting really good treatment you must be chuffed.

horseylady Mon 04-Mar-13 11:58:24

eliza x post!! Fab fab news!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.