Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Dec 2011 - Do that again, and you're getting sold on Ebay.....

(998 Posts)
Aethelfleda Mon 18-Feb-13 22:52:04

Shiny new thread with no listing fees!

mopsytop Wed 06-Mar-13 14:29:19

what are you talking about? I'm completely lost...

LittleMissFantabulous Wed 06-Mar-13 15:43:53

Nanny Plum is a character in Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom. Voiced by the same person as Miss Rabbit in Peppa Pig.

I read about Nickel Books earliersad

Figgygal Wed 06-Mar-13 18:54:14

We've also been getting into Ben and holly in fig towers it's in desperation when there's no peppa.

I'm answer to some other discussions DS has 11 teeth after the last few weeks, he has a stinking cough like me and even coughed so much earlier he threw up sad he's never been pukey do it's horrible to see. He is a rampager too though he likes books hed much rather dance to his bongos and throw balls.

I an officially at risk of redundancy from today will be pooled with rest of team and know by 5th April whether losing job or not.......gonna be a long month blush

OiMissus Wed 06-Mar-13 20:25:37

Sorry to hear that Figgy. Not good.

QueenofClean Wed 06-Mar-13 21:13:16

Sorry to hear that Figgy.

Sky has 6 top front teeth & 2 bottom teeth

We have Disney junior on here so we don't have Ben & Holly or Peppa. We have Mickey Mouse, Jungle Junction, The Hive, Winnie the Pooh etc which I can take in small doses.

Missing my DH sad

Aethelfleda Wed 06-Mar-13 21:20:01

Oh no figgy, fingers crossed.

We have net curtains up <strokes inner housewife> and a few less boxes. I planted three new roses in the front border while shamelessly ignoring the weeds and other care the border really needs they were on offer in Aldi and I fancied a bit of a starting toe in the water with the garden.

DS has six teeth, four up top and two on bottom. We've had MONTHS of drool with no sign of more. Whoever first linked to the Funky Giraffe bibs on here, you have my undying gratitude cos they are fab and save us several t shirt changes a day!

Xiaoxiong Wed 06-Mar-13 21:35:39

Oh figgy I hope it works out the way you want it to - I bet the uncertainty compounds what would be a stressful time anyway. (((hugs))) for you tonight and beyond. I wish I could see your DS dancing to his bongos, sounds hilarious!!

Queen when is your DH back?

aethel yay roses! always nice to put new growing things in the ground.

Gary didn't see about nickelbooks - she seemed to really know what she was doing, it's a salutary lesson for prospective children's bookstore owners sad

Well, you're just at the end of the bare-root planting time for roses aethel, so nicely done! I dream of a rose garden, I shall have one eventually
<wistful>
Is it Friday your plumber friend is round btw?

V crap news figgy, are they doing a desk top selection, or what? Absolutely everything crossed for you. And such sad news about nickelbabe and her shop sad; hope they'll be able to survive financially?

DS was stuck today, MMR and a couple of other things, am happy! Work was ridiculous today, trying to go through work and all the systems with my new person and kept on having to rush off to attend to other bits/people/crises. Though I at least got my confirmation of a small pay increase to cover the fact that I am doing 2.5 people's jobs hmm. Will pay for the new (ha! third hand ten years old off DP's parents) car and the ceiling fun from earlier in the year.

Am going to collapse now after 11 hours at work and another two in travelling; meant to be packing but will let DP rub my calves in front of Big Bang....

CheungFun Wed 06-Mar-13 21:45:59

Evening everyone!

I must have a rant first, had a seriously wierd incident today at work and the more I think about it the more angry I feel! A boy well 22 year old man technically on my team offered to get food/drink from the shop, so I asked him if he could get me some sandwiches. When he got back from the shop, he gave me the sandwiches and I was just getting the change from my purse when he put the plastic carrier bag over my head! I work in an office not the army fgs! Anyway, I said "what are you doing?!" and took it off and instead of apologising he said he'd put an elastic band around it.

Anyway, as he didn't bother to apologise, I emailed my manager and asked her to have a word with him, which she did as I got an email apology. A face to face apology would have been better, but an email apology is better than nothing. Now I'm back home and sat down, I'm just thinking what the hell was that all about?! angry what a weirdo!

Thank you all for get well wishes for DS, his eye are still a bit gunky, but the dr was quite keen for me to carry on cleaning them with cooled boiled water and see if it does the trick, rather than give him antibiotics.

DS sprouted another tooth yesterday, so he now has 13 and I can see 3 more are in the gums, but not yet cut through.

Sorry to hear you've got to go through the redundancy pool process Figgy, hopefully as you had a payrise on your return to work, you got a good appraisal too and that will add points to your case? I had to go through that process a few years ago and the atmosphere in the office took a nose dive, it was horrible.

I'm trying to remember who else I was gong to name check, but my goldfish memory is causing me problems!

Glad you're settling in Aethal and well done to Mr Xiao, aren't some people just yobs? angry

Anyway, off to bed soon, hopefully tomorrow will be nice and normal :-)

Figgygal Wed 06-Mar-13 22:32:09

Thanks all!! There are 4 of us in the pool have no problem with fact its happening but they want to reduce approx. 1 fte but as we all part time on either 3 or 4 days i don't see how they can achieve that reduction of course we are an HR team so picking holes in the approach and prob being overly analytical.

Cheung that guy is proper weird!!!!

mopsytop Thu 07-Mar-13 08:23:36

That was me aethel I think. At any rate, those bibs are a godsend. She gets through so many a day I sometimes run out before I get them into the laundry and I have about twenty of them! They're so fan the way they let no dribble through even when they're totally soaked.

Cheung, that's just weird. Maybe he's just a bit socially awkward and thought it was a joke? Well.... very very socially awkward...

I feel really sick and have been sick twice already this morning. No idea why. Headachy too. Stress maybe. Viva next week and massively nervous and scaredsad

SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 07-Mar-13 10:03:09

Not pregnant mopsy? What's happening next week?

figgy sorry to hear about the prospect of redundancy, such a long agonising wait too.

cheung what a weirdo!

The carpenter has turned up today, we now have a door, though there's still exposed brickwork and a big gap in the floor around it where they knocked the wall down that needs sorting. Then it's pretty much just skirting boards and putting a hole through for the extractor, though they're refusing to do that until the units are in first even though we know exactly where it's going hmm.

mopsytop Thu 07-Mar-13 10:22:18

no defs not pregnant! bug I guess. viva next week seven when I have to defend my PhD thesis. Bricking it!

OiMissus Thu 07-Mar-13 20:09:08

Cheung - I really don't know what to make of the lad putting a bag over your head. It's beyond weird. How is he otherwise?
Does he have issues? It seems an incredibly violent thing to do.
I can't imagine anyone ever joking about it. Weird.
Has he done anything like it before to anyone else?
Odd. And a bit worrying.

GaryBuseysTeeth Thu 07-Mar-13 21:03:04

Fingers crossed for you Figgy.

Hurrah for MMR & a small pay rise Northen.

Cheung, how was weirdoman today? I get doing that & the elastic band comment to one of your mates for a joke, but wtf was he thinking!?
Really odd that he just did it out of the blue.

mopsy, hope the stress lifts soon.

Nothing much to report here, DS finally cut two of the problem teeth but there's another on the way, which would bring him up to 11 one louder
I did manage to hurt DH's feelings by saying I didn't want a Mothers Day card (don't see the point until DS is old enough to care), I feel like I should back down & say 'get the card then' but it really wouldn't mean anything to me! Arrgh.

Anyone upto anything nice for Mothers Day?

OiMissus Fri 08-Mar-13 15:41:24

Put petrol in my diesel car. Been driving diesels all my driving life. My cousin immediately insinuated that must be pg! I hope that that becomes my excuse for being so dizzy!
I drove, broke down, got towed. Now being drained. Gp's had to pick up BOi from the cm. not fair! I'm missing my afternoon!

mopsytop Fri 08-Mar-13 17:26:41

oops Oi! am dreading doing that some day as we have diesel too...

Aethelfleda Fri 08-Mar-13 18:19:06

We switched to a diesel engine last year, and am SO paranoid we might put the wrong fuel in! So many sympathies oi.

good news here today: my friendly plumber has pronounced the boiler officially safe and servicable (phew) and he also said that while we probbly need to gut and replace both showers, the damage seems to besple overflow leaks rather than mains seepage. Phew. It will be more than we'd like to fix, but there's less urgency now. Will see if the pot can stretch to doing both, and if not we shall have one lovely shower and mothball the other for a while <rummages through screwfix catalogue>

OiMissus Fri 08-Mar-13 18:36:36

I lost 3hrs if BOi time, and £70 of fuel, but on the upside, it's a company car, and I think the company will pay for my idiocy.
The car is running fine now. Phew!
And I'm home with the BOi. And we've just had a big slice of wedding cake. (The first thing ive eaten today- I had cake, he stole the icing). Maybe not the best thing to be feeding him at this time but I was starving and it is Friday! shock)

Quick dive in from up North!
Just seen the bloody weather and am horrified; I got my pots out last weekend and they're going to freeze! And am dreading the drive back...

I'm with my boy and my Mum for Mother's Day; I'm going to cook my Mum a nice meal, and us three and DP will have a nice lunch. By the looks of it all, we're going to spend the rest of the day hiding from the cold hmm

DS been at other grandparents' since Thursday night, and so whilst it's been lovely having a break I can't wait to see him.

Have a lovely day tomorrow folks smile

Xiaoxiong Sat 09-Mar-13 14:56:54

Total frustration here.

DS will NOT EAT whenever I make something for him. Anything out of a packet (even if it's grown-up food like rice) he eats no problem. Ditto toast, yoghurt, fruit. But when I make him something myself for lunch or dinner he will. not. eat. He won't even try one mouthful - just turns his head away and bats the food to the floor.

This has been an issue for nearly 2 months now.

I am trying so hard to stand my ground, not offer him toast or anything else so he doesn't fill up and learns he needs to eat what he's given. But is he too young to understand this yet??

We have been sat here for 48 minutes trying to get him to eat some shredded chicken and potato (which of course he loves when it is Ella's Kitchen branded) and I am on the brink of tears. We have had 2 10 min breaks where I gave him some ibuprofen in case it was teeth. Have tried distraction with other objects, with CBeebies, given water, let him hold the spoon, let him stick his hands in the food, let him feed himself from his tray. I took him out of his highchair and he is now clutching my thigh sobbing bitterly (and still refusing to eat).

Needless to say the nanny can get him to eat anything, even the same thing that was rejected repeatedly when I try to feed him.

Feel like the worst mother in the world sad

LittleMissFantabulous Sat 09-Mar-13 17:30:33

It doesn't help to say it, but it is a phase. It will get better but there's no definite timescale to itsad

raaboonah Sat 09-Mar-13 19:07:05

xiao total sympathies food a massively emptive issue for me with my boys and its really tough when they don't eat. I'd generally keep offering the homemade stuff. I find it helps to eat the same as them. Like lmf says it will pass and DS1 used to eat all sorts for nursery but not me. Look at overall consumption over a week and reconcile that it doesn't matter who he eats it with but that he is eating a variety. One day he'll just scoff it no probs!

LittleMissFantabulous Sat 09-Mar-13 19:37:00

Octoboy goes through massive refusal weeks. I can usually get him to eat satsuma but there are times when nothing but a milk feed will do. Hate those days >_<

raaboonah Sat 09-Mar-13 19:44:22

Oh and you are not the worst mother in the world. Try to ride it out and perhaps write down what he does eat over a week. It will get better. All advice is to just keep offering. I remember crying while trying to feed DS1 at about the same age and I wasn't totally hardcore but I did keep offering him what I wanted hom to eat. He will try pretty much anything at 3 and a half so I guess that is a success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now