Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 2011 - Do that again, and you're getting sold on Ebay.....

(998 Posts)
Aethelfleda Mon 18-Feb-13 22:52:04

Shiny new thread with no listing fees!

OiMissus Mon 15-Apr-13 21:08:01

Figgy, up until 3 days ago, it took 2 of us to hold him down to change a nappy. If there was no poop, we cleaned and changed EasyUps on the move.
Aethel - if you can't be bothered - !!!WTF!!! <Shock!> But it was my mum who needs a haddock. My MIL would be oblivious and wouldn't be bothered/interested at all in our arrangements. When it comes to her 5 kids, they probably learnt to change their own nappies before she got off her toosh. <bitch overshock> mock-o-shock-o-lato!

Watching the footage of the bombings at the Boston marathon. Horrid. No conformation of deaths/injuries yet. Just awful. hmm

OiMissus Mon 15-Apr-13 21:10:34

(So far 2 dead, 22 injured).

Figgygal Mon 15-Apr-13 21:25:17

More horrid news today......Ive just read about that lady who has seemingly killed her 3yr old, 2yr old, 11 mo b4 killing herself hmm and she was heavily pg again hmm 4 under 4 i can see why that would be overwhelming but how awful!!

Yeeeesh sad

Haddocks for MiLs Oi and aethel, that is ridiculous...just think of them as a useful reminder of things we won't say to our own children/ILs <tries to be positive>

My friend has her scan tomorrow, so fingers crossed for her, she's Oct 13. Can't wait to get cracking on another one, but glum I have to wait til next year...

mopsytop Mon 15-Apr-13 21:37:59

Awful news. Awful.

Yep, a really miserable news day sad

OiMissus Tue 16-Apr-13 07:03:46

I forgot my straighteners. Disarstah! Just waiting for my colleague to arrive so I can borrow hers. Dum de dum de dum...

Aethelfleda Tue 16-Apr-13 07:17:30

sad for the awful news from America and sad sad that poor innocent children were involved in the terribly sad news from Lowestoft. Life can be terribly unfair sometimes. Everyone hug your LOs this morning.

oi, can't room service hire you some straighteners (or is that unhygeinic?)

<makes the laaarge cafeine pump Ready, though DS slept last night sp no excuse for it here>

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 16-Apr-13 08:56:30

We're not far from Lowestoft. Rumour has it (well facebook so not overly reliable) her partner had just walked out on her, and she was only 21 sad Terrible news from Boston too, and of course I'm trying my best not to worry about London on Sunday, though I'm assuming by the style of it it's more likely just some fanatic rather than terrorism related.

oi I dare say if the roles were reversed you'd be lucky to have a DH with a high-flying career, enabling you to have a big house and lovely things.

aethel I'm angry at you can't be bothered. It's just a generation difference I think, mine boasts about having us dry by 18 months but doesn't dare imply that I should follow her example.

DD often lets us know when she's had a poo by getting the mat out and laying on it, but I'm firmly of the belief that the sooner you start the longer it takes. We won't be starting potty training until next summer unless she's obviously ready before then.

I've turned into a cloth nappy addict. After promising DH I wouldn't buy newborn nappies for DD2 and we'd use disposable until she's big enough for the motherease one size I may have accidentally ordered some tots bots teenyfit because they were pretty colours and had 20% off blush

Xiaoxiong Tue 16-Apr-13 13:52:00

Hello everyone, just ducking in as I've had my last day at work last Thurs and it's been all systems go getting the new routine in place for new venture. Nanny is now coming 1-6pm Mon-Fri which is taking some getting used to all round, but I think it will work out. Fingers crossed.

Also just can't stop watching the Boston coverage. I keep seeing places I went shopping when I was at university, restaurants I've been to, etc. Surreal and horrible.

Trying to distract myself with cloth nappy discounts this week like seven and looking at buggies online.

Figgygal Tue 16-Apr-13 18:35:15

DS is back from cm with scratches all down his face he got in a face pulling competition with a new boy his age who goes on a Tuesday hmm bit ?? As she never mentioned a new child I suppose it doesn't matter but would have liked to know.

Aethelfleda Tue 16-Apr-13 22:24:46

<puts on the decaf coffeepot for any overnighters>

(((hug))) for xiao and well done for stopping your old work stuff!

<tiptoes away from DS's cot vairy quietly>

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 17-Apr-13 12:22:53

Bad mum time; DS was stirring at 0700, normally up at 0730 so I ignored him & fell asleep until 0900. blush He was sparko & DH said he woke up a few times in the night, so hoping he wasn't awake & bored too long (had that bloody NSPCC 'X knows not to cry at night because nobody would come anyway' advert going around my head).
He's had (my) chocolate yogurt for breakfast & I think I'm forgiven.

Did an order for cloth training pants, bought some Bambino Mio & Charlie Banana one's, they look fab!
Also got myself some bamboo pantyliners to deal with the, urm, pregnancy discharge flood. blush

Fingers crossed for your new routine Xiao.

Oi, hope your hair doesn't look too Worzel Gummidge today!

Awful news re Boston & Lowestoft, DH hasn't been told he's working Marathon (yet) so hoping that means they're not too worried.

Northen, hope your friend's scan went well?

QueenofClean Wed 17-Apr-13 14:54:59

Hey ladies,

How easy is it to go to airport and on hols with a buggy? Never done it before so if you have what's the drill?

Tia x

Xiaoxiong Wed 17-Apr-13 15:32:51

Queen did it 5(!) times last year, twice on my own.

When travelling with Virgin the first time when DS was tiny, I checked in car seat and buggy at the check-in desk with our bags, dropped the carseat off but kept the buggy through security, then left it with ground staff literally at the door of the airplane. It was annoying though as I had to take DS out of the buggy to fold it up through security and I had put loads of things in the basket below.

The other times I checked in the car seat and the buggy at the bag drop, took them both to the oversize luggage lane and put DS in the sling on my back to go through security.

We do have a brilliant sling though, if I only had a babybjorn or something like that I'd just keep the buggy with me all the way to the plane.

With the airlines we travelled with (BA, Virgin) the baby got a suitcase to itself, and then on top of that two "baby-related" items, so we took buggy + carseat. I saw someone else taking a carseat + travel cot once. Check with the airline though.

QueenofClean Wed 17-Apr-13 17:08:19

Thanks Xiao..travelling with Thomson for an 6:20am flight to Mallorca. So need to be at the airport by at least 4:30am - want the buggy so Sky can sleep for as long as poss. Will take sling with me too tho. X

Figgygal Wed 17-Apr-13 19:17:38

DS has been up to Scotland 8 times his carbon footprint is atrocious some airlines get funny if u have something like quinny which has a separate seat unit and frame they also tend to be thrown around by baggage handling I've got an £18 throwaway one from Tesco for my airport journeys but now that ds is bigger I have stolen my mums m+p stroller for future trips. They will want you to get her out as you go through security so that it can be scanned but then you can take it to the gate.

Dh won't go on foreign holidays with DS he hated going on holiday and being surrounded by children so he says he isnt going to be a hypocrite and do the same thing .....he's an idiot and I'm desperate for a holiday hmm

mopsytop Wed 17-Apr-13 19:34:46

Queen I've taken her buggy several times but figgy is right, they do get chucked about. Especially if they cone through on the carousel. Best to pick up at the air plane door if possible. My buggy was broken on one flight. Bring a toy and books to distract her and plenty snacks/milk. Hmm what else? Flying is OK really, I get a bit flustered when I have to take her out of the buggy for it to go through the scanner and try put all my own bags through/take off coat/belt/boots etc but if there are two of you it's totally grand.

jigglebum Wed 17-Apr-13 21:48:14

Agree with all the flying advice queen - take buggy to the plane and leave it at the boarding steps (just check they know it is there so they load it!) We are taking a booster seat (for DS) and buggy as our two items when we fly to Denmark but on budget flights babies don't normally get any other luggage allowance. Also take stuff to drink/suck for take off and landing. Be prepared to taste any food/milk you have for her at security and dont forget her passport if it is her first abroad trip!

Spent the day in London today. Apart from a mucked up hotel booking, which meant a taxi ride to another hotel at 1030pm last night (but I did get upgraded to a fantastic suite - what a waste at that time of night on my own!) all went well I think. I spent a nice couple of hours after the interview in Covent garden and had lunch out in Jamies Italian and caught up with my sister. DH had managed both the bedtime and morning routine fine so I should have more faith in him (and perhaps bugger off more often!!)

Aethelfleda Wed 17-Apr-13 21:51:13

We did a US flight when DD2 was a year, took the maclaren (borrowed a car seat the other end so didn't need to take ours). DD1 was three so we borrowed a Trunki, that worked really well too for the long walk to the gates (though of course she couldn't sleep on it)

Am v tired today. Night, all!

Xiaoxiong Wed 17-Apr-13 22:19:19

Sleep well aethel - I'm waiting up for DH to come home from work but then I will be following to the land of nod myself.

figgy your DH doesn't want to take your DS abroad on holiday because your DS might bother other people. Um. Did it occur to him that perhaps "abroad" is a pretty big place that might <shock horror> already have children in it who live there full time?! Surely he means he was bothered by badly behaved children whose parents let them run riot - which can happen as easily in Bognor as in Bali. Whether or not you are abroad is totally irrelevant!!

Aethelfleda Thu 18-Apr-13 09:49:11

Morning! DS is def sleeping better nowadays (as in one wakeup a night at one, but he has a drink of water and then has started settling back to bed). The burbles are definitely sounding more speech like, "nah" and "yus" and "go dahnsta! Go go go!!" (which is go downstairs, used when in cot and wanting not to be in cot!) I love this stage. We had our electics fixed yesterday and I spent a lot of time relocating him away from
the nice electrician's ladder....

Glad you enjoyed London jiggle and well done DH for mumming up!

<brews up the thread tea urn>

jigglebum Thu 18-Apr-13 11:14:03

Well despite the nice day in London yesterday I didnt get the promotion, which I am more disappointed about than I thought. I will look with interest who does, as I know I could have done the job but a bit annoyed that I did not sell myself well enough at interview.

Touch wood Freya is also finally sleeping better. I havent been in to her room at night for about a week! She wakes up still but seems to be able to settle herself finally - hellalujah! (I have now clearly cursed it and will be up 5 times tonight!)

Faffin Thu 18-Apr-13 21:48:50

<pompoms> for sleeping babies

Sorry to hear you didn't get the promotion jiggle

DS did a little poo on the toilet today shock. I have no intention of potty training him before next summer unless he's really ready, but I'll be very happy if he wants to keep telling me prior to pooing!

iZombie Fri 19-Apr-13 04:24:29

<puts kettle on>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now