Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dec 2011 - Do that again, and you're getting sold on Ebay.....

(998 Posts)
Aethelfleda Mon 18-Feb-13 22:52:04

Shiny new thread with no listing fees!

QueenofClean Mon 08-Apr-13 12:23:00

Oh no. Hope MiniM feels better soon.

AnAirOfHope Mon 08-Apr-13 12:50:34

Get better soon miniM xx

jigglebum Mon 08-Apr-13 13:41:55

Hi all, sorry to hear of problems queen - you've had some good advice from others. mopsy hope minimop is better soon

Quick question from me - after a week long virus, followed by an ear infection, followed by a lovely 3/4 days of wellness Freya now has a very upset tummy and is a bit poorly again (probably caught from an aborted trip to my DM who was ill). She is eating a bit, drinking ok but her tummy clearly hurts ( she wants to lie down on her front with her knees up) and she is having frequent very runny yellow nappies and is very upset whilst doing them and being changed from them. Any advice on what to give her? She is drinking both water and a bit of milk fine. She's had it since friday am. Thanks ladies.

AnAirOfHope Mon 08-Apr-13 13:54:37

Dr told me not to give any meds as it will upset her more. Just light food like chicken and rice and milk and water.

Change her stright away, lots of bum cream. You could try a hotty like a wheat bag on her tummy for comfort and some tummy massageing.

Calpol for the pain/disconfort

Hope she gets better soon xx

GaryBuseysTeeth Mon 08-Apr-13 14:10:15

Get well soon MiniM.

Jiggle, would've said what Air suggested....is she happy in the bath? It might get messy but the water might be comforting for her?
And the same goes for all the other ill mums/dc/others on thread. <calpol> & <cocodamol> all round!

Queenie, sorry to hear things are tough with DD1, would scheduling in some alone time with her (shopping, cinema or the park etc) help or would it set her back more when you got home?

Nothing much to report here!

Aethelfleda Mon 08-Apr-13 19:26:45

Oh, poor minim and babyjiggle! calpol all round and much sympathy.
DS has now bounced back and apart from muchos snot he is cheerful and has (touch wood) stopped puking and no croupy cough, just a normal one. Phew. I have seen some very sick little ones with croup before and it fills me with dread. Talking of which, I hope no-one on thread is anywhere near the measles outbreaks (scary). If you are near an outbreak (as in within the county type distance) , it's possible to ask for an extra dose of MMR to temporarily give increased protection to your LO and you can ask your GP nurse for it even if you've not been exposed yet. If they are below a certain age (? two years I think) they will still need a preschool booster in addition but it increases their protection in the meantime so is well worth considering asking for. Sorry, bit off topic but I am pro vaccination because people often forget how awful disease complications can be.

Aethelfleda Mon 08-Apr-13 19:29:23

And jiggle, if she's having lots of diarrhoea then try her with some dioralyte from the chemist in between her usual drinks, and light plain food, as diarrhoea drops potassium levels and the dioralyte hels replace if faster than just a normal diet. If it goes on longer than 5 days check her in with the GP for a look see xxx

So sorry to hear it's hazmat time again... glad your DS is OK aethel. We were 'lucky' with both the hand, foot and mouth (hugs to minim) and the croup that although DS had them he either wasn't bothered or threw it off in a day or so.
I blame the bloody weather- if it weren't so cold we wouldn't be suffering with all these plagues still! <hoiks bosom>

Why on earth won't your PILS change his nappy Easily, that's mad? Are they clean freaks (and no offence meant to our QoC who simply has standards to put us all to shame wink) or just not practiced, or what? The mind boggles...

Work has taken a monumentally shite turn; cannot even begin to describe without outing myself to the world and its wife, but believe me, it's baaaaaaad. Am sitting here with a large beer and the Manchester Derby and hoping I get a result...
And we'd had a lovely weekend with DP's friend over as well, long walk out to country pub, home cooking lots of drinks etc.

OiMissus Mon 08-Apr-13 21:29:57

So sorry to hear about the poorly babies.
BOi has a horrid hacking cough again, but it's not anything that causes temp spikes or something to worry about. I feel for you ladies.
We haven't found any allergies yet either, so I am feeling very lucky.
His ezcema is not looking much better though, despite a good week of moisturising, and having washed all his clothes without fabric conditioner. I've perhaps been too light on the hydrocortisone, but I don't like the idea of it.
Me n DH aren't great. If it wasn't for my age, I'd be holding back on ttc, but as it is I'm carrying on regardless. Not sure if that's right or wrong...
Que sera sera, n'est-ce pas?
But don't be worrying about me. No point worrying yet. We'll see how things pan out. ...I suppose it's a bit self-fulfilling prophecy/vicious circle. I'm bored and sick of his negativity, and he's aware of how I feel and so is negative/down-hearted.
Hey ho...
On a positive note, work is good. smile
I'm fine.
I feel great. I feel strong. Dangerously invincible... (This spells danger!)

jigglebum Tue 09-Apr-13 10:19:48

Thanks for all the advice ladies. Bizarrely for one who usually loves the bath she has screamed the last 2 nights about it but has no obvious nappy rash signs. Still not herself today but no bad nappies as yet. I think I am now coming down with it - a kind of stomach flu I think that comes in waves, Feel pretty shite myself today. Having a quiet day in. Cant get her to drink anything other than milk or water (she has never had anything else and shows no sign of liking juice)

oi sorry to hear things with dh are not great.

northern sorry about work too.

easily that would drive me mad too - I am one for changing nappies immediately.

Anyone heard how bjr is getting on?

QueenofClean Tue 09-Apr-13 10:37:49

Easily - confused as to why they wouldn't change his nappy straight away!

Northern - sorry work isn't great.

Oi - Sorry things aren't great between you & DH. Any idea as to why he is being so negative?

Jiggle - hope illness and rashes disappear soon.

Mopsy - hope MiniM feels better soon.

I have caught the virus off Sky. DH & Darcie are already getting over it and it hit me yesterday. I feel fine in myself however, my eyes itch, weep and very very red that I want to take my eyeballs out!

Things are good between DH & me and he is very supportive of me just I've been getting so stressed out because of Darcie sad

Northern because of my eyes my cleanliness isn't on top my list today! Will make up for it at weekend tho.

OiMissus Tue 09-Apr-13 11:16:10

dunno why he is so negative. he has been for a while. As an example, only a minor incident, but on Sunday night, as our heads hit the pillow, he says, "grumble grumble.. boi has a cough... looks like we'll be getting no sleep... tired...grumble."
I snap, FFS, we've had very few decent nights sleep in the last 15 months. we have a baby. get over it.
(if we have another, it'll get worse before it gets better!)
I don't understand why it's a problem. With a positive attitude, it is not a problem. After more than 15 months of little sleep, why should it continue to be an issue?
It's boring. It's tedious. I want a stronger, "hunter", results-oriented role model for my boy. (I hope he takes after me!)
I do. If I want it, i go out and get it. I'm driven.
I don't whine.
As i said, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy: DH knows I'm not happy. This makes him worried. he tries to be more positive, but feels more negative, I pick up on any negativity, I'm more unhappy, DH is more worried, more negative...

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 09-Apr-13 11:54:14

Sorry things aren't going great oi. I know what you mean about the sleep, admittedly we seem to be making progress and we've had 3 post 6am wake ups this week, but in the last 16 months I can still count the number of good nights sleep I've had on two hands, and being 32 weeks it ain't likely to improve any time soon.

Hope all poorly LOs and mums are feeling better soon. DS had croup when he was 2, it was bloody awful and pretty terrifying sad

northern sorry to hear work is still so bad. Is it just a number of big projects where there's a finish line in sight or is this just how it is now?

aethel can I ask how measles is spread exactly? One of the mum-to-be's on my ante-natal thread is worrying as they have family in Swansea who want to visit as soon as the baby arrives.

Sorry to everyone having a pants time at the moment.

I came on here to moan about the fact that having spent the whole of BH monday listing stuff for which please understand most of which is CRAP on ebay, we've now sold a reasonably large proportion of it and I'm spending all day trying to work out how to package it (and see how badly I screwed up the postage quotes!).

On the plus side, assuming everyone actually pays and collects their items we'll have enough money to pay for the dining table restoration adn maybe getting some shelves up in the dining room and emptying a few more boxes which are filled with yet more of DH's crap

Having realised what a ridiculous thing this is to moan about, I'm off to queue up at the Post Office to post the stuff I've done so far and purchase a load more packaging material. wink

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 09-Apr-13 13:38:04

Well done on the ebaying kat. We tend to have a big listing session every few months, the last one paid for everything we needed when we got the chickens, the one before that paid for DDs crib smile

QueenofClean Tue 09-Apr-13 14:19:15

Kat well done on the e-baying front. I never e-bay anything (don't have the patience) I charity shop everything.

Sky's appt at the dietician went well. Doing very well on diet considering she is milk & soya free. Been told to exclude wheat as a test. Am already half way there so just need to amend the other bits.

Just her check up at 5:20 with the GP and that's it for today and then I can rip my eyes out sad they are really sore and itchy sad

jigglebum Tue 09-Apr-13 15:50:32

Ahh just taken my frustration of being ill, freya still being ill and DH being a twat out on DS, which is probably not fair. I was meant to be taking him swimming (as per his normal lessons) at 4pm but he complained of a poorly tummy and didnt want to go. Dont know whether to believe him on the basis he could be getting what Freya and I have or its just another excuse as he doesnt like the lessons.

I have been making him go through all his excuses but today I just couldnt be arsed and told him we wouldnt go and that I couldnt be bothered to take him any more as he always complained about it. I have paid for the term (12 weeks with probably another 8 to go)but I just cant be bothered with the hassle of it all - he whinges, it is a rush from school, freya hates waiting around whilst he swims etc etc. I want him to learn to swim and I dont want him to think he can give up on things that easily but tbh the lessons are quite dull and I am fed up with the battle.

Today has felt like hard work - Dh came home for lunch and made a fuss about DS not eating half a bagel. Given my day of endless poo explosions, F crying and feeling like shit myself if was not high up on my agenda really. Told him to just leave DS alone but DH then decided to give me a lecture on undermining him all the time and slammed the door behind him and went back to work. His total lack of any sympathy for me for feeling rubbish and being at home with them both is annoying but sadly to be expected.

mopsytop Tue 09-Apr-13 15:55:58

oh dear jiggle

Thanks all for well wishes. Minim still bit miserable. Won't eat any solids (can't blame her, who would want to eat with blisters on tongue/in mouth?)... has been nearly four days now but at least she's drinking plenty of milk. We had nearly entirely got rid of the bottle (she had only been having it for evening feed for ages and I'd just got her onto a cup in the evenings as well) but she has refused cup or food point blank and I don't want her to get dehydrated so haven't much choice. Hopefully can wean her off it again once she's better. She has hardly slept either since Thurs so I'm exhausted. She was awake for five hours last night. So sorry for not responding to thread...

Aethelfleda Tue 09-Apr-13 16:35:24

Wow kat, respect on the ebaying! I haven't sold anything for a few years on there, Mostly cos the stuff I wanted to pass on had ample relatives to give it to, or was better charitied. At some point I may have a listing spree probably when the house has taken our final ££s but for now there's too many things to do at home and we have decluttered loads of stuff for the move already so no urge to sell! At the moment it feels like I'm spending loads, making up for our years of saving... Today I finally and with considerable eco-guilt ordered our first ever tumble dryer. blush it is a vented C rating with an auto-off sensor. Still have eco guilt!

And another binbag of garden debris today, along with inally sawing down the eight foot straggly conifer that someone planted ten inches from the front of the house (why!!?!?!?!) and preparing it for taking to the dump tomorrow along with the corpses of two especially pointless shrubs... I am SO happy to be getting out in the garden, I love that it's finally above freezing!!

Aethelfleda Tue 09-Apr-13 16:53:10

Ooh cross post. <haddocks> for your DH, jiggle.

mopsy, we had exactly the same thing with DS when he got HFM a few weeks ago, ended up back on 4-5 big bottles a day til his mouth cleared
Up. And it was totally exhausting, I really feel for you. Hope she turns the corner soon and you can get some rest.

Sympathies on the DH issues oi, it's tricky when your partner is of a different level of motivation to you. Can you work a cunning bypass of some kind so that when he feels negative you have an internal thought mantra to counter it? (eg when he says something crap, think of the internal response you would normally make, and then say to yourself "this is a negative cycle so I'm going to stop it" and then make a concioiuosly more positive response than you were going to. Eg "yes, it is knackering but it will get better". Or "i know your're tired. I am too but let's do xx about it/talk about something we can do to get us through it".

seven, measles is a bit like chickenpox in terms of
Catching : spit and coughing/breathing on people is the main transmission method. The incubation is 9-14 days(from catching it to becoming infective) but people are infective from the initial cough/fever stage until day 3-4 of the rash. It's harder to pick up than chickenpox because it can be longer for the rash to come out (2-7 days in). it is VERY infective: ten minutes in a room with someone with measles and you're very likely to get it.

QueenofClean Tue 09-Apr-13 18:49:54

I've got blooming conjunctivitis and bad case at that sad drops in both eyes every hr for next few hrs and then 4hrly from then on. I can deal with anything else but hate my eyes being red, streaming and itchy sad

EasilyBored Tue 09-Apr-13 20:31:07

Sorry about the DH issues Oi , it's hard to stay positive when other people are being negative. I try and avoid being negative about things that I can't change - so if C isn't sleeping well because of illness, there's f*ck all I can do about that so we've just got to plough on through. DH is the same as yours at times, and it is frustrating.

Sorry for all the plague babies. It's just one thing after another isn't it. Mega sympathies for those dealing with allergies. I'm so unimaginative and shit about sorting out meals, adding an allergy into that would be a disaster for me!

Jiggle <helps Aethel crank up the fish-flinger> It's hard when they say stupid things like 'you're undermining me' when the reality is that they need to pick their battles better!

I'm still quietly seething about NappyGate and the Inlaws. I think it's more an aversion to poo (and who can blame them really, I hardly relish cleaning up shit). They had him for an afternoon when he was much younger and did have to change a wet nappy then, but they had to get their neighbour to come over and show them how! They have two adult sons (who have both turned out to be reasonable, functioning adults), and I get that modern disposable nappies are different from the old cloth ones. But seriously?! Just take the nappy off, wipe all the poo off, put a clean one back on. I think I'm just pissed off because C had a sore bum to begin with and after that little episode his poor bum actually bled when I changed him sad

I had to take a day off today and go to the walk in clinic, as I felt like death and thought I had the beginning on tonsillitis. After Christmas and the Throat Bug From Hell, I wasn't taking any chances. The nurse seemed to think it could go either way, so I'm dosed up on painkillers and drinking loads of hot water, and if it doesn't get better by tomorrow I'll have to go back for antibiotics. Apparently I have the largest tonsils she has ever seen. They are quite large in their natural state, so when inflamed they are of comic proportions. Blurgh blurgh blurgh.

Any advice on bloody/snotty noses? C has had a runny nose and he rubs at it and pokes it (especially at night) and has made it really sore, so now it has a big scab under his nose and is bleeding when he rubs it. I can't think of a way to stop him, so have just been cleaning it with warm water and cotton wool, and putting a bit of moisturiser on when he will let me. Looks horrible though! Any ideas?

CheungFun Tue 09-Apr-13 20:31:45

Hello everyone,

DS seems to be doing ok with his chicken pox still, he's still having about 4 hours worth of day time naps and 12 hours of night time sleep. His legs are looking skinnier to me, as he's not eating much, but I guess he will go back to eating like a pig once he's better!

DH has been allowed to work from home so that he can look after DS whilst I go to work as it's our busiest time of year, so thank goodness for DH's manager being so understanding :-)

Queen hope your eyes get better soon, conjunctivitis isn't nice!

Aethel well done on getting out in the garden! I need to get out in ours soon! I was chatting to a friend who's into wildlife and managed to identify that we have a green woodpecker who likes to hop about in our garden in the mornings :-) It's the first time I've seen one, so I was really confused what sort of bird it was!

Mopsy sending MiniM get well soon wishes! Hope she gets better soon so you can recover too!

Jiggle what a rubbish day, just think tomorrow is a fresh day! Try to get some sleep as and when you can, I'm sure it will help you feel a bit stronger. It's horrible when you're not getting the support that you need from your DH, but hopefully once you're all feeling better things will seem better at home too?

Kat well done on being so organised with the Ebaying! At least you'll be decluttered if nothing else ;-)

Oi it's hard having to be the responsible adult all the time, it does sound like your DH needs to step up! I think the lack of sleep is one of the hardest things about having a LO, but it's not going to last forever, and he has to concentrate on the good bits about having children, otherwise he will miss out if he's too busy moaning :-(

Northern that sound grim at work! Fingers crossed you win!

Sorry if I've missed anyone, you lot have been very chatty, it's taken ages to catch up on the thread ;-)

Figgygal Tue 09-Apr-13 20:33:33

Well after week 1 of my diet i have lost nothing absolutely nothing so in a massive strop!!! I have managed to eat a whole bag of M&S percy pigs, effectively 2 lunches and a choc flapjack. Not like i was expecting to lose lbs but not even half of 1......grr.

Mopsy ds is still having his breakfast and bedtime bottles in bottles he will not have cups, beakers, strawed beakers anything. Not sure what else to try.

Sorry to hear you having problems with DH Oi and yes i too have been thinking about BJR hope we hear from her soon.

Oh no QoC, how grim! You poor thing- I officially order you not to do any housework whatsoever! Are you limited where you can go with it (ie. playgroups, etc.)? Really hope the eyedrops start to work soon.

Don't have eco-guilt aethel, don't know how people manage without one with larger families. We only use ours once a week, but it's so useful when you do. Especially on the weeks we do a bedding wash, we wouldn't have anywhere to hang stuff that big.

Sorry it's gone a bit downhill jiggle and Oi, not great to hear sad. Do you see your DH as a balance to you Oi, or a drag? It can be quite difficult when one of you is driven and the other isn't, especially if it's not a 'complimentary' relationship iyswim. But the looking on the downside of everything makes me stabby too, so totally with you there.

And yes, BJR, let us know how you're doing, I know you were planning to speak with a friend IRL.

Work here continues grim, though I don't know how I'd cope if I didn't have my new junior. God she makes all the difference, and at least I'm not overwhelmed with the volume of it all.
But I am in well-paid employment so I mustn't grumble too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now