Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

ClimbingPenguin Sat 16-Mar-13 09:31:46

DS had no nights feeds last night and took himself to sleep for nap and evening. (still woke loads but I reckon that will change). The going off to sleep by himself was what we were about to try before the whole illness/leg few weeks.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 16-Mar-13 09:54:09

That's great climbing. Hope it continues for you!

ipswichwitch Sun 17-Mar-13 11:51:20

Good stuff cp, fingers x he continues doing so well. N still a bit rubbish at self settling. Some nights he goes off when we put him in his cot half asleep, and we stay in the room. Other nights he seems to be asleep than wakes crying as soon as we leave him and won't settle himself. Progress is slow but at least there is some progress!

Off to a buffet type place for lunch (can't be arsed with cooking today!) so N can go nuts and have a variety of different food. I'm a bit reluctant sometimes to cook stuff he's never tried because I know he's likely to refuse it, so I end up doing him something I know he'll eat and offering him some of mine to try. I still get paranoid about him eating enough even though now he eats more than me most days! I can't seem to switch that off - obviously it's a hangover from the days when he refused everything and every mealtime was a nightmare. I need to chill and realise it won't hurt if he doesn't eat much some days as he's generally so good.

N has been to the dentist - ours would rather we bring them as soon as teeth appear, so we book him in with us. He's the only hcp he hasn't screamed at!! Probably the bribery with stickers helped smile and N let him look at his teeth with no hysteria or biting. Result!

PenelopeLane Mon 18-Mar-13 06:50:07

Hope everyone is well xx

I had my 12 week scan today and it was fabulous - I had been waiting for it so I could start to feel excited, and now I am grin After keeping the secret from all but close friends now I want to tell the world as well, although need to wait until I tell my team at work, which I can't until next week. Boo! Impatient! <and aware this certainly qualifies as a first world problem!>

grin pen glad it went well. Have fun telling everyone!

sassy34264 Mon 18-Mar-13 09:11:50

Brilliant news pen x

ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Mar-13 14:25:22

aww pen really happy for you

DS took some steps yesterday, which was a relief smile

Still having no night feeds, still not getting more sleep.

LittlePebble Mon 18-Mar-13 21:54:44

Hello all, sorry I've been awol for a while lost the thread as RL got too manic blush

Glad scan went well Pen grin

We've been through a pretty rough 6 weeks with non stop illness from E to DH to me and then E got hand foot and mouth. Finally have had a couple of nights were he's slept through and am starting to feel human again.

Work is so busy that I've been having to work evenings and weekends and have felt like a zombie with no sleep so I'm looking forward to a (hopefully) bug free few weeks before he gets the next thing <prays it will be a few weeks before we get another bug>

Still have to read back and try to catch up with you all unless anyone fancies the challenge of brining me up to speed with what I've missed

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 19-Mar-13 13:33:06

Yay pen!! grin Glad all is well. How are you feeling?

PenelopeLane Tue 19-Mar-13 18:55:47

Feeling great thanks - as the morning sickness is gone grin I am more worried this pregnancy though, largely because I worry about A and how much his life is going to change. Trying not to think about it, but getting a tad obsessed with trying to work out a way to afford a couple of days of creche a week when I'm off as he loves creche so much. Probably because he has a girlfriend there. They play together much of the day I'm told, hold hands, and have even had a cuddle. Cute.

<waves> at Pebble.

CLimbing that's good news re DS steps! smile

PenelopeLane Tue 19-Mar-13 18:57:40

Pebble when I think back to the last while in order to catch you up, I am afraid the only thing that springs to minds is *Engels" poetic descriptions of poo grin

sassy34264 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:10:45

pebble Apart from new jobs- cheshire and climbing and poor climbing's ds falling down the stairs and breaking his leg, I can only think that it has just been one long thread of all the illnesses the dc's and the parents have suffered sad

That and sche is getting married. Racking brain to think of any more exciting stuff......

oh, i'm moving house. Wasn't someone else? annie ?

sassy34264 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:13:14

I think the most memorable thing was mrsh's mothers day debacle (for want of a better word!)

this was my face when i read it anyway!

shock

sassy34264 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:19:16

Well, dp is away for the 3rd week in a row. <pissed off emoticon>

And isobel has just randomly said 'i want my daddy' sad

I'm out sat though for a friends birthday in manchester. Can't wait, getting my hair done since sept and may even buy new outfit. smile

cheshire i am getting the next to last train, so won't be home till 11pm.!! dirty stop out that i am grin

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 19-Mar-13 20:01:57

Yes mrsh Mother's Day gift took the biscuit (or bread in her case!) blush

Glad to see you back littlepebble. I think everyone has been much the same with illness. Hope E (and you!) is getting over the worst of it.

Climbing, great about L! Does he have a big leg cast on?

TallyBear Tue 19-Mar-13 20:31:26

Pen so pleased for you smile.

Aw Sassy sad

Ironic that on the first night of 'Sleep live' (Ch 4) Seb is playing up and won't go to sleep confused. He is normally so good but has been struggling lately. Last night he was hysterical at one point. The minute he had some calpol he was quiet. I'm sure it's not a ploy to get drugs!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 19-Mar-13 21:50:53

I'm just watching it on catch up. Can't believe those twins! I'd be pulling my hair out confusedshock

CheshireDing Tue 19-Mar-13 22:08:42

Glad everything went well Pene. Do you think you will have the full year off and go back to work again.? Loving the idea of A with a girlfriend already wink

Tally I too wonder sometimes if P is a secret drug taker! When I get the Teething Powders out she goes all quiet in anticipationand opens her mouth ready, then says "more" and I don't give her stuff often, honestly.

P has been a terrible sleeper, every 3 hours of so since Saturday, I blame tooth number 5. Has everyone else got a full set? grin

Sassy I think your synopsis for Pebble just about sums things up nicely grin Couldn't last until the LAST train then ? wink

Climbing did you get the money you wanted? I hope so.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 19-Mar-13 22:30:00

S now has 10 teeth. 6 at the top and 4 on the bottom. She gotten into a habit of grinding them which makes my skin crawl!

sassy34264 Wed 20-Mar-13 07:14:54

cheshire I don't like to rely on the last train, in case i miss it, it gets cancelled or breaks down grin

All 3 of mine lurvve medicine hmm The twins ask for it all the time. And i can't just give it to one and not the others or else there is tantrum city. So i just give the one's who aren't ill 1ml.

ClimbingPenguin Wed 20-Mar-13 13:42:55

mine are medicine lovers too. I use cough syrup as a placebo sometimes, as it's just sugar really. As we were dosing DS up quite a bit, he has taken to pointing at his medicines before going to sleep and isn't too happy we won't give it to him now.

DS's sleep is same as always but DD is going though a development spurt and is waking lots as well. I think she is coming out the other side as last night was a lot more settled.

I'm happy with the money I think cheshire. I don't know anyone else in industry to ask, but it's better than academia and I feel a fair salary to start with. DD gets 15 free hours soon which combined with both me and DH claiming the childcare vouchers means I will actually make money well money to start putting aside as savings are all gone.

W lays back and opens up when he sees the calpol syringe too!

Been keeping half an ear on the budget this afternoon and they've announced a freeze in pay increments for public sector workers hmm between that and the new childcare scheme I'm not sure if we could afford to have a second DC even if we decided we wanted to

sassy34264 Fri 22-Mar-13 12:45:14

Oh god. Someone talk some sense into me........

I really want a dog! grin

Friend as just posted collies for sale in fb, from her brother's working collies (farmer) and i want one.

Been thinking for a while that we could get one now the house is bigger and it has a big garden.

Think i've just transfered the need for babies onto dogs confused

Someone tell me how much work they are quick.!

Engelsemama Fri 22-Mar-13 13:19:44

I am not really a dog person sassy (and DH is allergic anyway) but one of my friends has 4 kids. Her DD is in a wheelchair and her 3 DS's are WILD and yet they decided to get a dog (at about the same time as M was born, and his name is also M!).

I thought she was crazy but it seems to work well for her. The kids adore the dog, it gets them all out of the house, or gets my friend out of the house for an evening walk/at weekends/while the kdis are at school so she gets some time for her own thoughts.

Sorry, that wasn't really talking sense into you grin

DM and DF just left to head back to the UK. I am finally feeling like a human being now, DH back at work, DS sleeping. I should be working, but am enjoying lazing on the sofa far too much. Marking will keep till tomorrow afternoon.

Duck M grinds his teeth, drives me mad.

M has a new word - 'out' smile

pebble your last 6 weeks sounds like mine. The last 6 weeks for us have been: flu all round, DS chest infection, DS and DH d&v, flu all round. Add that to serious blues in January (i do sometimes wonder if I have SAD) and 2013 has been a pile of shite so far. Still, spring is coming (no snow here since...oooh...last Wednesday), it's getting lighter and only one more week of school before I get a week off.

LittlePebble Fri 22-Mar-13 14:38:44

Sassy in the last 6 weeks my dog has stolen the following:

1 roast chicken
3 packed lunches (DH's)
1 round of Sandwiches (E's)
1/2 a ham
2 loaves of bread
4 smoked haddock fillets (in plastic wrapper which she also ate)

She has escaped twice and we are yet to discover if she has become pregnant as her last foray she was in season....

She is smelly and disobedient and will not get back into the car when we are out (especially if there are people to witness my utter lack of control) she jumps up at everyone who enters the house and leaves so much dog hair we get tumbleweed....

BUT she is also wonderful and E climbs on her , pokes his fingers in her eyes and mouth and she never bats an eyelid. I wouldn't swap her except on a really bad day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now