Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

CheshireDing Wed 21-Aug-13 21:24:48

Sorry that was very me me blush

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 21-Aug-13 22:05:20

I can totally relate to the behaviour chesh. S has had some crazy wicked moments recently. I try to remain calm and speak in a firm but fair tone but at times I just want to scream!

She refused all dinner tonight (pasta, a favourite!) then had the guts to asks for a biscuit after I'd taken her out high chair shock. In the end she went to be having had a cup of milk and half a banana. Least I know she will eat breakfast in the morning as no doubt she will be starving!!

A friend gave me a toddler bed yesterday. I ordered a new mattress for it online today so I'm hoping its here by the weekend and I can take her cot down and get the bed into her room.

Still going well with no dummy. She still mentions it but in the same breath says 'its all broken' grin.

Fingers crossed for your friend. I hope that one little egg hangs on!

PenelopeLane Thu 22-Aug-13 08:30:03

I am so glad to hear A isn't the only one being naughty at present! My current problem is him running away when I am getting him in and out of the car, when I can't really chase him anymore due to waddling and being so pregnant. He only ever does it around the car too. He's getting one more chance, and if he doesn't improve it's the harness for him - it's just not safe otherwise.

We have a toddler bed set up now, but haven't tried to move him. I am procrastinating!

Fingers x for Mrs and your friend cheshire.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 24-Aug-13 20:06:23

S is currently in bed shouting at the top of her lungs that she 'doesn't want the crocodile anymore!' in ref to the very tiny one (along with other animals I must add!!) on her pillowcase shockconfusedblush

Is this the terrible twos starting? sad

Sorry duck but that did make me grin

W keeps making us stop when we're out and he sees a stone. They are 'pakka stones' (he loves in the night garden but particularly Makka Pakka) and he puts them in his pockets

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 24-Aug-13 20:29:00

She's becoming a right demanding diva!!!!

That's cute about the stones! Does he end up with a whole pocket full? I caught S in my purse the other day taking out all the coins and putting them into her dolly pram! Little thief!! grin

He does! He was so weighed down earlier I'm surprised he could walk! grin

I'm coming to the conclusion that toddlers are little hoarders!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sat 24-Aug-13 21:25:38

Yes, they for sure are. I'm just so fascinated at times watching her just go about her business. Today in the garden she wax pottering around for ages making tea for her gruffalo and Minnie teddy. She would sit them in one spot, set everything up then move somewhere else. So funny! grin

PenelopeLane Sat 24-Aug-13 23:09:01

That's so cute! A's into lining up his toys right now then moving them one by one into another line. He gets quite grumpy if his system gets upset half way through, it's cute.

Engelsemama Mon 26-Aug-13 08:42:44

M likes giving one person (usually a visitor) toy after toy until they have ALL of his toys!

Have to take him to hospital tmrw. We noticed a lump in his tongue last month. GP said it's a polyp (sp?) and will need removing prob under GA given M's age.

DH at home today. He doesn't seem to be coping well with life right now sad

Going to get outside soon. Garden is a mess and it's a beautiful day. Have some errands to run but will have to wait till later as a lot if shops are closed here on Monday mornings.

Hope everyone is enjoying their bank holiday/Mondays.

Good luck with the hospital visit eng hope it's ok and an easy 'fix'

We've been blackberry picking today I'm pretty sure W has eaten his weight in them!

Engelsemama Mon 26-Aug-13 17:51:50

I've spent the last half an hour chasing M round the garden and trying to explain that he shouldn't pick green tomatoes, they are not apples and he shouldn't eat them!

I'm guessing it'll be pretty routine strawb but DH is freaking out. Spent today looking after my 2 children grin

MrsHende Mon 26-Aug-13 21:58:01

Good luck tomorrow Engles. And sorry your DH is finding life hard, it's peaks and troughs living with someone who can struggle isn't it. Hugs all round for you (I know they are not very mumsnet-y but you're getting one anyway!).

Engelsemama Tue 27-Aug-13 13:16:57

Dr said that as lump doesn't seem to be painful then leave it. We have another appt for 3 months time. I feel a bit more reassured. The thought of general anaesthetic was freaking me out a bit!

Dropped m back at nursery so I should be doing some work but am feeling so lazy (slept terribly last night) I'm just MNing on the sofa. May gave to out some trash tv on instead!

That's good eng glad you feel reassured and that they will keep an eye on it for you.

Engelsemama Tue 27-Aug-13 18:09:57

Hmm...learning experience of the day: don't open a new toy half an hour before bedtime. Tantrum!

PenelopeLane Tue 27-Aug-13 23:27:59

That's good news re the lump engels.

Did everyone have nice bank holidays?

I finished work last week so am now in day 3 as a SAHM again! I am liking it so far but am so much more tired than last time I've had to quickly readjust my expectations about what I want to achieve between now and when the baby's born (due in 5 weeks!) and am having to be really strict about what time I go to bed at night or else I end up an overtired hormonal miserable mess! I never got that tired last time, but then, I didn't have a toddler who doesn't sleep through. DH is getting up with him but I still wake up a little. Feel very lucky today though - DH got up with A at 5.45 (!!) and took him to creche, so I feel fab after loads of sleep.

Engels good news re lump

Pen enjoy mat leave - I imagine very different from mat leave first time around!

Loving reading about all the LO's quirks and development. I recognise so many things E does while reading, sometimes its things I haven't really noticed properly IYSWIM and then when I read your posts I'm like "oh yes E does that too!" grin certainly shows an arguement for nature over nurture when out toddlers are miles (sometimes continents) apart and are doing the same things.

All good here work about to settle down once schools go back so hopefully DH and I will have some time to try and make a baby. Not much DTDing currently...

E has suddenly started parroting what we say its as if a switch went on in his head between Sunday and Monday and he's now coming it with 10+ new words a day if you can understand them that is he has a fail safe "dodo" for anything that he doesn't know the word for. He will just keep repeating a word until you repeat it back and he's happy you understand. If I don't respond he gets quite agitated trying to make himself understood poor love!

Mr Tumble has a lot to answer for! Trying to put W to bed who was a bit agitated anyway as DH isn't in yet because he's working late and he kept telling me 'by mummy, run run run' and waving then doing a running motion while laying down. Took me a few goes to realise he was doing the end song from Mr Tumble! (He's starting to pick up loads of signs from it though which is very cute) his language in general seems to be really picking up at the moment as you said too killa

CheshireDing Sun 01-Sep-13 13:55:51

Aww these toddlers do make me laugh. I do love babies but have now realised why people say it's good/funny with toddlers grin

Glad M's tongue is all okay for now Engels and hope your DH is feeling a bit better soon.

Our friends IVF didn't work sad so gutted for them, they have already been trying for 3 years and you don't get any free goes from the NHS round here so it's such a lot of money to spend sad

I have my fx crossed for Killa and MrsH now grin

We took P to see In the Night Garden Live yesterday, she LOVED it (seems to have cheered up again in the last week). Still "Mummy carry me" but at least she is in a good mood grin. She was dancing and clapping her hands and pointing at the stage. She only lost interest in the last 10 minutes because Daddy didn't have enough snacks with him apparently !

Random comments from P this weekend include :-

Me - What are you doing ? (whilst she walked round the lounge with a puppet on her foot)
P - Walking (fair enough) !

DH - Wipe your hands and face (after dinner)
P - And my bum bum ?

Wonder if Sassy has finished unpacking yet smile

Have you decided on final names Pene ? We cannot agree this time at all. Is A still going to nursery so you can have a rest ?

Sorry for your friend chesh it must be so hard hmm

In the night garden live sounds fab grin I looked into taking W but there isn't one close enough.

Engelsemama Sun 01-Sep-13 15:45:00

M has just doscovered how to play with cars so have been getting some peace and quiet this weekend grin

Crossing my fingers as I wait for AF to arrive. Ordered some OV sticks and pg tests to tempt fate.

TallyBear Sun 01-Sep-13 21:45:55

Hey everyone, had a lovely weekend in Poole/Bournemouth with two of Seb's favourite things: beach and planes! We went down for the airshow with dh's family and spent two days at the beach hut watching planes. Two late nights but Seb didn't seem worried. Good practice for holiday - we're off to Cyprus on Tuesday night, yeay!

Good luck Engles

Cheshire Aww

PenelopeLane Sun 01-Sep-13 23:15:38

Cheshire sorry to hear about your friends, that must be so hard. We had a couple of friends fail a second round recently as well, I really don't know how to console someone in that situation while I am so heavily pregnant myself as it all feels a little naff.

And yes, keeping A in nursery 20 hours a week and so far it's proving to be such a good decision as I get a lie in twice a week and have time to do chores read in the sun and go on mn What are you other pg ladies doing? We'll reduce his hours once the stat maternity pays stops (we only get 14 weeks here, and that's capped at a maximum of about 200 pounds a week), although I'd love to keep him in at least 15 hours. He likes it there, and I have so much more energy for him after a day to myself.

My top names this time for our dd are all flower names. Popular, flower names that tend to invoke eye-rolls and "not another one!" comments on MN. I have decided I don't care though, as above all else want to use the name DH and I love the most.

Tally have fun in Cyprus! I'd have loved to go there at some point.

Engels good luck! You too, killa.

Cheshire so sorry to hear about your friends.

Tally I'm so envy we had our best holiday ever in Cyprus, where are you staying? If you can get to pissouri it's gorgeous!

Engels I'm thinking about ov sticks too which ones did you buy? We've barely managed to DTD this month so am definitely looking at next month now. Grrr trying not to kill DH!

Pen I love flowery names thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now