Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

PenelopeLane Tue 02-Jul-13 09:47:11

Oh I pay for cuts too after accidentally giving A a mullet!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 02-Jul-13 18:10:27

Now she's eating tangerines shock

Is this honestly my child?! grin

LittlePebble Wed 03-Jul-13 06:58:15

Good luck for the journey Engels!

Pen E is currently sporting a dodgy half duck tail because I tried to cut his hair myself!

Strawberry grin for W saying his name

MummyDuck E has an obsession with tangerines too and any fruit he can get into his mouth.

Engelsemama Wed 03-Jul-13 13:31:52

Nervously twiddling my thumbs while I wait.

Everything is packed. The house is tidy-ish.

Online check in wouldn't work. maybe because we're travelling multiple flights with 2 different airlines. Rang KLM who told me to ring Air NZ who told me to just check in at the airport confused

I have pre-travel nerves! Once we're checked I'll be fine but I have been annoying DH all day by jumping around like a skittery rabbit.

Hope to be back next week for some updates but if not then have a great July everyone smile

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 04-Jul-13 13:18:40

Hope you got away ok last night Engels!

Quiet day for us. Poor S is teething really bad sad. They haven't really bothered her much before, but she has her top two incisors cutting the gum and I think it's really hurting. She didn't sleep at all the other night, ended up in with me but just wanted her dummy and cuddles. Got up yesterday morning with a raging temperature so she was on paracetamol/ibuprofen all day. Little sleep again last night due to her fidgeting which I then realised this morning when I took her nappy off was due to being covered in thrush! It's settled a bit now and she sleeping so hopefully she gets a bit of a rest sad

MrsHende Thu 04-Jul-13 19:36:44

Poor S! What a wee soul, lots of cuddles to her from us.

Ladies, I need advice!!!

Went to the HV drop in clinic to check L's weight and height. SHE'S WEE AND FAT!!!!! 98th centime for weight and 25th for height. Now, she comes from good Scottish stock so it was possibly inevitable wink, but I need to change our ways.

Basically, I'd love to know what your babes eat in a day and ask for any ideas for snacks that aren't fruit or raw veg.

Hope the flight went well Engels, I admire you and Mummy greatly for doing these long flights!

Just thinking about sassy too, hope all is well, not heard from you in a while.

MrsHende Thu 04-Jul-13 19:37:24

Centile, not centime!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 04-Jul-13 19:41:03

Mrsh, out of curiosity what weight/height is L? I had S weighed yesterday and she's 27lbs and aprox 81cm. She's not gained any weight since April and the hv said to keep an eye on her! She's I think around the 91st weight and just below 50th for height

MrsHende Thu 04-Jul-13 19:47:34

She's 29lbs and 80cm - my HV wants us back at the end of my holidays to make sure she's not still going up in weight!

I think the thing that concerned her is that L started life on the 25th centile and has just gone up and up! Her daddy is very tall so I wonder if she's under tall rather than overweight, and that her height just needs to catch up a bit.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 04-Jul-13 19:49:22

Oh and meals that S enjoys are,

breakfast - porridge, weetabix, Cheerios, pancakes and jam, toast and peanut butter etc

Lunch - soup, bread/roll with soft cheese, beans/hoops on toast, French toast

Dinner - chilli and rice, any kind of pasta (pesto/cheese), fish pie.

Snacks are cheesy crackers, raisins, fruit (shock) or maybe a plain digestive biscuit.

smile

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 04-Jul-13 19:51:28

S started on the 4th centile, stayed around the 25th for quite a while but has been above the 75th for most of the time.

She might be due a stretch. I'm sure I read that they become 'chubby' then stretch and even out again.

MrsHende Thu 04-Jul-13 20:02:01

Do you do puddings Mummy?

HV told me she should be having breakfast, snack, two course lunch, snack, two course dinner. And a pint of milk in drinks, cheese, yogurts etc.

I think we've had two problems, firstly that L's food is kept in a low down cupboard and she's taken to helping herself. (We've moved it all now!) Secondly, I think I was giving her too much dried fruit/fruit purees as wee extras...sugar overload!

So, non-sugary snacks are what I'm researching now! Unfortunately she's stopped eating raw veg as that would be ideal. Will keep offering though in the hopes that she remembers how nice it is!

What yoghurts do you all use? Are there any that are less sugary than the rest?

How's S doing now duck feeling better?

mrsH W is the opposite reasonably tall for his age and quite slim. He does have mainly fruit and veg as snacks because he loves them.

He tends to have toast and/ banana for breakfast (he's like his daddy and not keen on breakfast so some days he just has a bottle of milk)

Snack at 10ish which is usually fruit/veg/humous/rice cracker (marmite ones go down very well)

Lunch is sandwich, a few Pom bears, yoghurt, fruit and biscuit. He also really likes the Fruit Factory little gummy sweets so sometimes he gets a pack of those.

Afternoon snack is pretty much the same as morning.

Tea is whatever we're having but he's particularly fond of pasta. A few milkybar buttons as a treat after tea occasionally and milk before bed.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 04-Jul-13 20:10:14

Well a typical day she would have..

8ish Cereal and a fruit pot
10.30/11 Banana or biscuit/mini chedders
12.30/1 lunch (1 course!)
After nap maybe a cup of milk and biscuit if she hasn't had one earlier in the day
5.30 dinner followed by a few spoons of yog.

I buy the big pots of yog, not sure if they are better sugar wise, but I prefer them over the fromage frais. I tried her with plain natural yog and mixing fruit purée in it but she hated it! grin

She doesn't drink much milk anymore. Maybe half a cup in morning and afternoon and a few sips before bed.

S isn't much of a meat eater so her diet is very much based without apart from obv the fish pie and chilli I make with turkey mince

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 04-Jul-13 20:13:04

She's loaded up with medicine and bonjella on her gums and went to bed very quick so I'm hoping for a settled night strawberry grin

She's been saying all day that she's tired and wants to go to bed sad. Think she needs a good sleep!

TallyBear Thu 04-Jul-13 20:49:28

Aw, poor S.

Seb seems to have a huge tummy all the time, but especially after eating. He has:

7am - Milk (1/2 sippy cup)
7:30am - cereal or porridge or toast. (He also likes a few spoonfuls of our cereal).
10am - Goodies wheat snack/rice cake things or raisins or fruit or Oat bar thing....
12am hot lunch (1 course) - e.g lasagne, pasta, fishfingers etc
3pm - snack (as above)
4:30pm - tea - beans on toast or crumpets and cheese etc. Yoghurt (we get the Little Yeos)
6pm - fruit
7pm milk (1/2 sippy cup)

He sometimes also has milk after his post-lunch snack. Does that seem like a lot? Somedays he can't stop eating and other days he's not that bothered. It's slighty different at the weekend - a bit less structured hmm

PenelopeLane Fri 05-Jul-13 09:07:47

I am not the person to ask about a good diet for a toddler, A eats up a storm and isn't a little boy either, when he was younger my step dad even started calling him Obese Maurice he was so chubby (until my Mum made him stop)

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 05-Jul-13 09:30:50

grin Pen! Very often to you see chubby toddlers (as in over 2's) as I think they tend to burn it off as quick as they eat it. I'm thinking that's why S hasn't gained in the past few months, she just never stops!!!

Mrsh, I still quite often make the banana bread that was posted in the group a while back and S loves a bit as a snack. You could always use less raisins/more banana to cut down the sugar. Apart from that its fairly healthy.

Rice cakes are another fave. I buy the big jumbo sized plain ones and add some humus/guacamole or soft cheese. Goes down very well just plain as well

CheshireDing Mon 08-Jul-13 20:11:14

Actually starting to feel like I might be coming out of the other side of tiredness now Pebble (although only just)! Now I need to find the effort to get back to the gym to actually have some energy to push a baby out grin

Looking at it from the other angle MrsH how much activity does L do? The Human-Hoover (aka P) eats everything but then is also exhausting to watch. I did tell DH the other day if he did her level of activity he would actually lose his gut grin

In comparison our one-toy-friends toddler watches sitcoms/Big Brother etc and doesn't really seem to move when we are there (although obvi he must do).

Waitrose do large organic Marmite rice cakes so you wouldn't need to put anything extra on those. What about a boiled egg still whole with the shell completely taken off? Wholemeal Gingerbread Men?

Off on a camping trip with a dog and a toddler now hmm

TallyBear Mon 08-Jul-13 22:13:41

Cheshire 'Human-Hoover', lol. How awful that a toddler is watching stuff like that. Seb's only just got into Peppa pig and loves ITNG and Waybuloo but won't 'ask' to watch them, although will sit still through it if I put it on to get dinner ready! Occasionally we will let him watch a bit of one of the 'greats' (Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians etc). Dh wants to take him to see Monsters University later this month. I LOVE Pixar, so have said OK but only if Dh sits on the end and takes him out if he gets bored!!

Have fun camping!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 08-Jul-13 23:08:05

Only thing S asks to watch is Mickey Mouse, but as I don't have the channel, she only gets to see it at grans house grin

I did out Aladdin on the other day when she was having a bad time with her teeth. She got very engrossed in it and now asks for the 'snake' and points at the box. So funny!

Hope everyone enjoying this lovely weather smile

PenelopeLane Tue 09-Jul-13 08:39:52

The thing A loves to watch is the opening sequence of "The Lion King", he loves it, and calls it "animals". He's pretty into animals though, esp zoo animals. He also loves the Wiggles. TBH he doesn't watch much else - I don't think we have Peppa Pig here.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 09-Jul-13 09:15:51

Pen, did you and Engels manage to meet up?

PenelopeLane Tue 09-Jul-13 09:44:43

Not yet - she's in town the weekend after next. And I really hope the weather improves for her sake, it's downright miserable at present!

W really likes Postman Pat and will ask to watch it sometimes he never sits for a whole episode though. He was very cute yesterday when he ran in the door when we got home plonked himself in front of the TV pointed at it and demanded 'nennis' think he'd enjoyed Wimbledon! Had to distract him with a watering can in the garden smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now