Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - Learning to accept our babies are toddlers

(881 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Mon 18-Feb-13 12:51:17

New thread

I've hired someone to get all our babies to sleep while we go get sloshed in the corner

<hands out wine>

ClimbingPenguin Thu 20-Jun-13 22:38:26

that's the advantage of our nursery, they are mixed aged groups.

DS has temper tantrums. DD didn't but I do find it quite amusing. At this age they aren't proper ones, more frustrated and simple reasons which is easy enough to deal with.

He is grouping three words together now and knows more colours. His pronunciation has really come along recently, I don't think his vocab is much better, just much clearer all round. He says thank you a lot which is quite sweet as it is not something we ask to them to say. I guess that means we have all been remembering to use it so he has picked up naturally enough.

I spent mon-wed away with work (which was lush as it was a 4 star hotel) but they seemed to have grown up in the time i have been away

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 21-Jun-13 10:23:01

I think that's where S misses out on so much. She's very social with other children but doesn't get the chance to form relationships as she's not in nursery. We stopped at the park yesterday for a little while and there was a few other kids around her age and she got so excited. I would love to have her in nursery for even just a few mornings for the social interaction but its just not possible at the moment. I must try make more of an effort with toddler groups

ClimbingPenguin Fri 21-Jun-13 11:25:23

It will happen duck, nursery came a lot later for DD but once a bit set then play dates etc happen easily. I took her to a different play group every day and they soon group up into regular groups

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 21-Jun-13 11:49:30

Thanks climbing. I know that when she is with other kids/adults that she isn't shy so I'm not worried in that respect I suppose. Maybe after Christmas/new year ill look at maybe a few sessions.

We have just came to a soft play and she's running about daft with some other kids. Makes me smile to see her so happy smile

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 21-Jun-13 19:31:13

My mum offered to keep S tonight so now I'm home alone and don't know what to do with myself shock

CheshireDing Fri 21-Jun-13 20:10:03

Drinks wine and eat chips Mummy grin

I haven't had a night away from P since she was born, oh how I dream of a luxury hotel, lush bed sheets and a lie in with brunch in bed
< might sneak in to Climbings work bag next time >

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 21-Jun-13 20:46:53

Glass of wine poured and have some nibbles, yum yum!

This is my first night away in a long time! I'm more excited about sleeping in tomorrow, can't wait!!

Engelsemama Sat 22-Jun-13 13:48:22

Afternoon everyone.

DH was very excited when I reminded him that NZ is hobbit country pen ! We are staying in Wellington Friday 19th/Saturday 20th and leaving on the Sunday (not sure where for – Taupo or Napier) and would be great to meet up if we can manage it. Will keep you posted. Though at the moment from what I heard from my best friend this morning, am worried about getting round the South island with all the snow!

Thanks for all the flying tips everyone.

Must say that M doesn’t seem to react as recognizing any of the other kids at nursery yet, but then maybe I just don’t see it (I’m usually the first one there dropping him off in the morning).

Hope you had a good lie-in duck

I’m not having a good week – snowed under at work with end of term craziness. Didn’t see M at all on Wednesday evening because I was late at work and then left him sleeping in with DH on Thursday. Had to stay after school for a while on Thursday as well and had to go in on my day off yesterday for a few hours. Have managed to have 4 meltdowns this week which is a sign to me that I need a holiday!

chesh I am planning on going to a uni reunion in august. Taking M with me to the UK, dropping him at my DM/DF’s for the day and night and then heading off to the westcountry. It will definitely be weird (for DH too who will be home alone for the weekend). Have never left M with anyone except DH and that was only once for my sister’s hen weekend in the UK.

M is still not eating properly at night. He's so fussy all of a sudden and only wants to feed himself (though will still accept porridge from me in the mornigns). Hoping it's just a phase but it's becoming a looong phase now!

PenelopeLane Sat 22-Jun-13 21:33:11

I've had 3 nights away from A and all for work, and have another next week. I don't really like it for work as don't get a lie in and usually end up in the hotel room staying up late watching terrible tv!

I'm around that weekend engels, just keep me posted. The snow in the south is pretty heavy at the moment, and we've just had the worst storm in decades, it was awful. We had a fence blow over and a small tree come down, which wasn't half as bad as other people in the city who lost their roofs etc or my sister whose carport fell apart. The worst part was trying to sleep and being worried that the windows would blow in!

I need advice! A got his finger jammed in the door quite badly, and now the entire tip above the top knuckle is deep purple/red and the nail black. Is that something that's worth taking to a dr? It looks more like clotted blood under the skin than a bruise IYKWIM

ClimbingPenguin Sat 22-Jun-13 21:50:15

DH says yes

PenelopeLane Sat 22-Jun-13 22:01:20

Hmmm maybe I will then. I honestly don't know, don't want to let it infect or anything or be all pfb but he did sleep really badly and the finger looks quite bad

ClimbingPenguin Sat 22-Jun-13 22:09:13

I should point out that DH is not qualified and we have both been drinking, but if it is easier enough to see a GP then why not. Even just to confirm and get permission to dose up on drugs quite liberally.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sun 23-Jun-13 00:36:17

Sounds sore pen. I'd have it checked out, maybe plenty pain killers for now to help him sleep. Poor boy sad

LittlePebble Sun 23-Jun-13 07:55:19

Ouch Pen that finger does sound sore, I'd get it checked if you can.

Ipswitch we have the same here (and the same joke wink) more is said hundreds of times a day no thank you though

We've got a night away from E next Saturday we're going to bath to the theatre for the night and staying in a hotel. I'm at once both excited and dreading it.

We did a similar thing on flights last year re empty seats. I kept checking flight details right up until getting on the plane and there were still seats available so I sat E in seat next to me and no one tried to sit in it so he had a seat outbound and return. Think this only works on unallocated seat flights though.

PenelopeLane Sun 23-Jun-13 09:42:25

Thanks for all the advice! I took A to the dr in the end as felt nervous about the colour of his finger and am so pleased I did - turns out the nail needed draining of blood. Poor A didn't like having a searing hot needle poked through his fingernail but it seemed much better afterwards and the swelling went down. He's quite clingy atm but ok

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sun 23-Jun-13 10:45:17

Wow, that sounds sore shock Glad you had it checked out in the end!

Ouch pen don't think I'd like that either. Glad it seems to be feeling better now.

Engelsemama Sun 23-Jun-13 20:39:39

Ouch! Sounds very painful pen

Hurrah - M ate his first evening meal for a week. He wanted to feed himself but couldn't quite get everything on the spoon so I had to help him out but he finished every last scrap (DH made chicken and mushroom risotto). Fx the phase of fussy eating is over.

I can't believe how enormous M is now. Took a snap of him yesterday and all of a sudden it's like he's a child rather than a toddler (though he still sounds very much like a toddler - jibbering away with absolute rubbish most of the time!).

Am envy at theatre pebble . It's so hard to find English language theatre over here. I just about manage a touring Shakespeare performance once a year but I miss having everything on my doorstep. Have a great time.

Have almost finished reading 'Tomorrow when the war began' - can't believe I missed this series when it came out 20 years ago (and the last 10 years as an English teacher). <rubbing hands at the thought of another series to load onto my kindle>

And forgot to say thank you for the flowers cheshire . Sorry if I'm spilling my guts a bit too much on MN - sometimes I feel like all I do is moan and feel sorry for myself. But, the end of term is in sight...

MrsHende Sun 23-Jun-13 20:54:08

Ow! Poor A - I'd be clingy too after that!

Feeling your pain Engels with the end of term madness. A good friend of mine got end of term advice from a wise old colleague of hers about this time of year - put your hard hat on, take no offence at what anyone says and be prepared to put your juggling skills to the test! I've been working late a lot too and will be late again on Monday and Tuesday this week. L has been like a Velcro baby for the past few weeks, hardly leaving my side and I hate to think that it's because I'm working. Roll on Wednesday, first day of the holidays!!

DH has an interview tomorrow, fingers crossed all round. I go through such phases of being able to cope with him not working and the resulting despair and then really struggling. I'm fine when I'm coping well but with work stresses and my best friend's mum died this week I'm finding it very hard to be positive and encouraging today. Must try harder sad. I got both my debit cards declined at the petrol station yesterday too (managed to transfer the amount I needed by emptying my measly savings account on telephone banking), and I just felt so angry. I'm working full time, L is at nursery but he's at home and not even doing housework half the time. Argh!!!!

Sorry for the moans, Mum and Dad are through tomorrow for their babysitting day so that will cheer me up, I always come home to a clean house, a delicious dinner and full fridge when they are through!

Engelsemama Sun 23-Jun-13 21:16:59

Sounds like you're having an awful time of it mrsH. So sorry to hear about your best friend's mum. <hugs>

I've taken to giving DH a list if I want anything to get done on the day he's home with M. Sounds ridiculous but he needs it spelling but to him or he doesn't work out what needs to be done.

Friday is my first day of the summer holidays and am celebrating by having a friend over for lunch.

MrsHende Sun 23-Jun-13 21:28:37

A list would NOT go down well here...! He'd be cross at me telling him what to do and even on the rare occasions he's asked what needs done he doesn't read the list anyway.

I think I'm just totally drained after the funeral yesterday, the church was packed to overflowing and it was a lovely, lovely service, but she was only 62.

LittlePebble Mon 24-Jun-13 07:45:51

MrsH thanks so sorry about your friends mum. Fingers crossed for DH's interview today.

Pen ouch that sounds so sore, glad you went to the doctor.

Engels yay for dinner! E is also huge, we need to measure him again but he's shot up in last two weeks.

Yesterday we went to a charity cricket match and E was running around where lots of other children were playing. All safe we could see him so we let him wander about 200yards from us waving a little cricket bat he'd picked up from floor. Watched as two little boys went over to E and then they pushed him! DH ran over and took E away but I couldn't believe my feelings it was SO horrible watching this innocent little boy who had no idea what a push was and he had no idea what was going on. The boys were only 3 and 4ish and E was fine but it made me realise all the things he's going to have to face as he grows up. I think because he's tall people assume he's older than he is. sad

PenelopeLane Mon 24-Jun-13 09:38:36

Mrs that's sad, 62 is so young.

LP I hate seeing stuff like that too, especially when a parent will stand back and watch or give a "kids will be kids" shrug or comment angry I arrived at nursery one day moments after another boy launched at A and bit him. I know biting happens, but it wasn't very nice. I would say though that I was VERY impressed how the nursery handled it, esp as they didn't know I had arrived!

Engels Tomorrow When the War Began - that brings back memories of the 1990s grin I recently read a teen book called "the fault in our stars", it was good but as a disclaimer, it was quite moving and I got a bit pregnant hormonal weepy over it.

The most addictive series I've read recently was the True Blood books. I wouldn't call them high quality literature, but churned through them until I started to find them annoying but hey ho

Sorry you're having a tough time mrsH hope DH gets the job! I have no idea how you are managing to send L to nursery on one salary we barely manage it on two once everything else os accounted for as well. Hats off to you!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 25-Jun-13 17:09:40

S, the girl who doesn't like fruit (apart from bananas and the odd blueberry) today ate a full punnet of strawberries shockshockshockshock

I was so stunned, I let her eat the lot grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now